NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 07-13-2020, 05:17 PM
Steve

Smile Sending Cards to PSA - Do it Yourself or go through somebody (like Clay Cards) Pros?

Somebody told me that when sending cards to PSA for Grading it is better to go through a company that grades a ton of cards (like Clay Cards or many others) rather than sending them in yourself.

They stated by doing this

- Better Grades
- Cheaper
- Faster Turnaround times.

I am getting ready to send some cards

What do you guys think I should do?
Old 07-14-2020, 10:09 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

It may be cheaper through some big aggregators but you may run the risk with honesty issues, missing cards, wrong cards etc.... If going that route make sure you vet the submitter with many references. Also look for solid and up to date communication. Doesn't seem like they get much break on sub times though.

I join a group sub with one of the TPA's off Facebook (friend of mine) but the arrangement is that all submitters send in their own stuff but gets the benefit of lower pricing and turnaround through the group... Group owner never touches or sees the cards...

bobbyw8469 runs one here occasionally that is very good though I have never participated... his sub threads are a fun read!
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:42 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
bobbyw8469 runs one here occasionally that is very good though I have never participated... his sub threads are a fun read!
Thank you for the kind words. They are quite fun to do, but a lot of work. I didn't mind when I was helping out a few guys here and there. The last few subs have met the maximum cards allowed though (500). It gets to be a tad overwhelming when they are that large. I have heard that some people get preferred pricing and quicker times, but I am not 100% sure that to be true. That would defeat the purpose of the submitters being "anonymous".
Old 07-14-2020, 01:33 PM

I use my LCS to facilitate card gradings, both with Beckett and SGC.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:23 AM

I grade everything myself and submit for one or two other people from time to time. Always happy to let somebody piggyback on a sub as it saves everybody some money in shipping, and B-not everybody wants to do it.

I thoroughly enjoy QAing cards 309483409 times prior to sending.

I'll probably catch flack for this but I don't buy into larger submissions getting better grades. Better prices, 100%, that's just good business, but handing out better grades would kill a TPG's credibility if anything provable came to light.

Also...maybe some people just have a better/stricter eye when it comes to choosing what's worth submitting.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:08 AM

anyone use GMA at all? obviously the price point is a lot lower. assume you don't get as much bang for your buck on card sale, but wondering if you all think GMA grade is better than selling a card raw? suppose it depends on the card and value, but curious to hear thoughts. thanks!
Old 07-29-2020, 08:12 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhockey View Post
anyone use GMA at all? obviously the price point is a lot lower. assume you don't get as much bang for your buck on card sale, but wondering if you all think GMA grade is better than selling a card raw? suppose it depends on the card and value, but curious to hear thoughts. thanks!
I can't imagine a card in a GMA slab selling for as much as a ungraded card. I know I would pay more for a ungraded card.

GMA does have many good things but resale value is not one of them.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I can't imagine a card in a GMA slab selling for as much as a ungraded card. I know I would pay more for a ungraded card.

GMA does have many good things but resale value is not one of them.
interesting, i always assumed a graded card was more desirable, regardless of who grades it. what other good things do they offer? appreciate the feedback, this world of grading/etc is so new to me.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:29 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhockey View Post
interesting, i always assumed a graded card was more desirable, regardless of who grades it. what other good things do they offer? appreciate the feedback, this world of grading/etc is so new to me.
The 2 big things for me are:

1) If you are just a collector and want you cards slabbed to protect them they are cheap.

2) Go to their site and click on the "custom grading" link for a great option for collectors.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
The 2 big things for me are:

1) If you are just a collector and want you cards slabbed to protect them they are cheap.

2) Go to their site and click on the "custom grading" link for a great option for collectors.
thanks for the info, will check that out. i think i'd be 98% collector, maybe 2% seller so it sounds interesting.