NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default What will you do with your collection...

when you pass away?

I've long been think about this, though I'm young I hope it doesn't happen anytime soon, not nearly complete with my collecting goals

But when you do go, what do you plan on doing with your collection? Selling it for relatives or kids, hopefully offspring will keep the collection going, donate it, sell to a friend, etc.

Me personally, I view my collection as 'art' more or less. I made a site to show the beauty of these cards and for it to be seen, and to show some of the great penmanship and personalities that 'show' with how that person signed.

I hope I can do enough in my career where I won't have to sell these off to help my family or having get them and not knowing what to do next, but when I pass I do plan on donating them to the Baseball Hall of Fame, or some other type of museum that would enjoy and appreciate these as much as I do and hopefully the public as well.

Curious to see what others viewed on this as well.

Cheers,

Brent
Old 05-23-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
when you pass away?

I've long been think about this, though I'm young I hope it doesn't happen anytime soon, not nearly complete with my collecting goals

But when you do go, what do you plan on doing with your collection? Selling it for relatives or kids, hopefully offspring will keep the collection going, donate it, sell to a friend, etc.

Me personally, I view my collection as 'art' more or less. I made a site to show the beauty of these cards and for it to be seen, and to show some of the great penmanship and personalities that 'show' with how that person signed.

I hope I can do enough in my career where I won't have to sell these off to help my family or having get them and not knowing what to do next, but when I pass I do plan on donating them to the Baseball Hall of Fame, or some other type of museum that would enjoy and appreciate these as much as I do and hopefully the public as well.

Curious to see what others viewed on this as well.

Cheers,

Brent
I plan on selling them and using that money to help my wife and I go on humanitarian service missions for our church. IMHO, no sense in going to the grave with them as you can't take them with you and you will have the opportunity to do something useful with the funds. I would never, ever donate them to a museum though. The Baseball Hall of Fame is full of well intended collections that are packed up and will never see the light of day. I would ONLY give them to my children if they developed an interest in baseball history. So far, they could care less.

Last edited by Orioles1954; 05-23-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Tim Caravella

Was hoping to pass them down to my son, but two daughters later I'm hoping for a grandson someday....

T
Old 05-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Rob Ruddy

Well, I've sold almost half of it already. The rest, and whatever else I accumulate, will be my wife's problem.

p.s. Apparently she's ok with it! Not sure if she's ok with selling my cards or me dying.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:35 PM
David Pierson
Banned

At 62 and with one child, my 29yo daughter or her offspring, (if she has children) will inherit my collection. As of late I have been selling off much that I have accumulated over the years. Firearms, guitars, comics,etc, and whittling down my massive collection of cards to a manageable collection of a few thousand. I am now converting many of my "raw" cards to graded for the ease of my heirs to sell, in the event of my untimely demise. Dave.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:42 PM
nels0n aud.et

I am Young, (31 years old) but probably my son will have my hockey card, baseball card and firearm collection.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

I am only 32 years old and will be 33 this year so I hope I can live to at least 65 years old....after that age I will be ready to go (I am not one that wants to live much past 65...I know we do not chose but from what I have seen 70 is more than enough). Pass the whole thing down to my unique niece...I will never have kids and do not want any (never have wanted any and will NEVER get married either) so she can do as she pleases whatever makes here happy...that is ALL that matters to me.

And if everyone dies before me I would sell the whole thing off and donate ALL the money to help animals in any way possible or buy a nice Vila beside the ocean so I can just die in peace....then have the money donated to a cause that helps animals once I pass away in my nice Vila.

Post # 1

Last edited by Zone91; 05-23-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:48 PM
D.B. Cooper

I plan on not dying.

http://imageevent.com/boboinnes/obaks
Old 05-23-2013, 10:56 PM

My cards are going to be with me when I drive off a cliff the day after my 80th birthday. My last words will be see you in Hell and I'll be talking to my cards and the hitchhiker I picked up five minutes earlier
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 05-23-2013, 11:19 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

z28jd

Hahahahahaha now that sir was funny!!!!

Post # 2

Last edited by Zone91; 05-23-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:23 PM
Glenn
Gl.en.n Willr1ch

Honest answer.....my one and only son will get my collection of cards and he'll also score my Omega and Jaeger LeCoultre watch collection as well.....lucky little shit, lol. Not sure if I'm keeping my one and only Patek or not, but if I do, it's his too
Old 05-23-2013, 11:29 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S. View Post
I plan on not dying.
Well, it's worked so far.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:42 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
My cards are going to be with me when I drive off a cliff the day after my 80th birthday. My last words will be see you in Hell and I'll be talking to my cards and the hitchhiker I picked up five minutes earlier
Between this and Tony's movie plot in the zone farewell thread, it's the most morning laughter I've had in a while!

Hilarious
Old 05-24-2013, 05:56 AM
Bruce C@rter

The kid gets it all.
I have one son and he is into collecting so he will get it.
Oh, for those that don't want to live past a certain age, just wait and get a little closer to it and lets see if you still have the same attitude.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:07 AM
Rich Klein

Default My wife has Leon's Phone Number

he will be the 1st person to call with a respected dealer as the 2nd person to call

R
Old 05-24-2013, 07:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
he will be the 1st person to call with a respected dealer as the 2nd person to call

R
I hope I never get that call Rich, but if I did D would have no worries. See ya at 1230 at Furrs. If you aren't there I will be starting without you . (great thing about buffets)
Old 05-24-2013, 07:23 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
I would never, ever donate them to a museum though. The Baseball Hall of Fame is full of well intended collections that are packed up and will never see the light of day.
This much I can agree with completely. Museums are where collections go to die. A collection is only fun if it's being enjoyed by the owners. When that joy leaves for whatever reason -- death or disinterest -- time for the cards to find another collector who can enjoy them. We're all just holding our collections for the next generation of collectors.

I have three boys, so perhaps one (or more) of them will eventually take a serious interest. We'll have to see.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-24-2013, 07:43 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
This much I can agree with completely. Museums are where collections go to die. A collection is only fun if it's being enjoyed by the owners. When that joy leaves for whatever reason -- death or disinterest -- time for the cards to find another collector who can enjoy them. We're all just holding our collections for the next generation of collectors.

I have three boys, so perhaps one (or more) of them will eventually take a serious interest. We'll have to see.
Count me in on this. Museum = warehouse. My stuff goes to my son, who has a strong interest in baseball even though there is no particular interest in collecting, yet.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:46 AM

My wife is to sell it through a reputable auction house. Except for the 1940 Playball Shoeless. He gets put in my suit jacket pocket.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:49 AM
Rich Klein

Default See you at 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I hope I never get that call Rich, but if I did D would have no worries. See ya at 1230 at Furrs. If you aren't there I will be starting without you . (great thing about buffets)
That's onne way to confirm our lunch appointment -- save me an email
Old 05-24-2013, 07:49 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Everythng goes to my son.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:11 AM

Currently in the process of selling my entire collection. It's not as easy as one thinks

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=168208
Old 05-24-2013, 10:06 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
But when you do go, what do you plan on doing with your collection?
Nothing I will be dead, there is nothing I can do at that point... whoever is left behind will do as they please with the cards and I really don't care what it is.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Rhett Yeakley

When I die we will finally have the answer to the age-old question "how many cards can be stuffed in a casket!"

Seriously, what James said is pretty much spot on, no museums. I will probably let each of my children pick an item that represents their father to them, my father is a big-time Lionel/American Flyer train collector and he gave me a really beautiful Standard Gauge Lionel 381E with all the cars that I will own till the day I die because it just represents "him" in my eyes. The rest will be sold eventually to help fund my retirement, travels to visit family, etc. in my waning years.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 05-24-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Nothing I will be dead, there is nothing I can do at that point... whoever is left behind will do as they please with the cards and I really don't care what it is.
Damnit, stole my answer...

The only thing I have planned posthumously is the music at my memorial.

Monty Python's Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life during:

For life is quite absurd
And death's the final word
You must always face the curtain with a bow.
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

So always look on the bright side of death
Just before you draw your terminal breath

Life's a piece of s**t
When you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
You'll see it's all a show
Keep 'em laughing as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you.

And always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the right side of life...
(Come on guys, cheer up!)
Always look on the bright side of life...
(Worse things happen at sea, you know.)
(I mean - what have you got to lose?)
(You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing.
What have you lost? Nothing!)
Always look on the right side of life...

and AC/DC's Highway to Hell as everyone leaves:

Livin' easy
Lovin' free
Season ticket on a one way ride
Askin' nothin'
Leave me be
Takin' everythin' in my stride
Don't need reason
Don't need rhyme
Ain't nothin' that I'd rather do
Goin' down
Party time
My friends are gonna be there too

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-24-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Jake

Well, this is kinda depressing.

Don't have any children yet. If something were to happen I would have my cards shredded, liquified and inserted into my bloodstream.

May none of us have to worry about this for many, many years to come.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!

Last edited by Jlighter; 05-24-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocjack View Post
Currently in the process of selling my entire collection. It's not as easy as one thinks

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=168208
I recently liquidated everything from 1948 to 1970. It was a hectic month. My Pre-War stuff may be going soon too. I am just collecting T n' E cards. When the time comes you guys here will most likely wind up with them.....
Old 05-24-2013, 07:52 PM
Arnie

Good question. I have no kids, and have no idea. If my wife is alive, she gets them and she can sell them, if my wife is gone, i guess its whoever i leave everything to, either my brother-in-law or a friend. Unfortunetely my best collecting friend has terminal cancer right now or else he would have been perfect to leave my cards to. Guess i should come up with a better plan than i have now.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:58 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
Good question. I have no kids, and have no idea. If my wife is alive, she gets them and she can sell them, if my wife is gone, i guess its whoever i leave everything to, either my brother-in-law or a friend. Unfortunetely my best collecting friend has terminal cancer right now or else he would have been perfect to leave my cards to. Guess i should come up with a better plan than i have now.
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Let me say that if I KNEW a museum or whatever would display some of my cards, then I would donate. But I agree I wouldn't want them to sit in storage.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Er1k Greeñ.w00d

I have two daughters - one will get my Shooty Babitt master collection and the other will get my Larry White master collection. I may throw in an OJ Greenwood each.

Last edited by EGreenwood; 05-24-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGreenwood View Post
I have two daughters - one will get my Shooty Babitt master collection and the other will get my Larry White master collection. I may throw in an OJ Greenwood each.
Do you have a Shooty Babitt game used bat? Because I know someone who does, this guy right here
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 05-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Bill T.

It's all getting sold off. My main filing cabinet has a paper on top of the top drawer with instructions--where everything is (including the computer files with images and records), who to contact, even the text of an e-mail to send. She doesn't know anything about cards or memorabilia, but I made sure she knows where that paper is.

Bill
Old 05-24-2013, 10:04 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman42 View Post
It's all getting sold off. My main filing cabinet has a paper on top of the top drawer with instructions--where everything is (including the computer files with images and records), who to contact, even the text of an e-mail to send. She doesn't know anything about cards or memorabilia, but I made sure she knows where that paper is.

Bill
Very smart, have thought about that
Old 05-24-2013, 11:00 PM
Ed McCollum

Default The binder will go to my son

with several pages of instructions. Everything I've found out about Howe and his life (which really isn't much) and then the choice...

keep it, and occasionally check eBay to see if any more show up, and if he can afford it at the time, try and add them to the collection. Don't keep it just because it was my idea, but if he want to carry on the idea of reassembling the group, keep it.

or

sell it off, but only as a complete lot. I've left instructions of who I think should handle the sale, along with giving them the information I've found out, in hopes that at auction, it might generate a bid of interest in getting a set with a fair sized number of cards all in one lot.

He may just discover that nobody but me would be interested.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:41 PM

There are variations to my answer, but in the end they would go to my son. He's 21 right now but if I die suddenly tomorrow it would be some years before they would be passed to him by the executor of my trust. If I die suddenly some years from now, I will have likely explained to him where to find them, how to get access to them, and how to sell them if he so chooses. If I die many years from now as an ailing senior (death bed type thing), I will likely pass them off to him myself.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:25 AM
T0dd M@rcum

i have posted this before, but I would NOT give it to my kids. They could each take an item or two they would like to remember me by.

The glory of this hobby is not owing something like a T206 or a 1975 set for that matter but the joy you get from the hunt and the privilege of the people you meet along the way. I would have never met Ted Z, Leon, William Chappel, Dave at Baggers and many others without the process of acquiring cards. Assuming he gets interested in cards, why would I take that from him?

If life is kind, at some point, I will begin liquidating some of my cards...which I may invest in bigger cards... and hopefully be down to marketable clumps by the end.

Right now my business is busy so it's not priority. I hope not to get hit by a bus tomorrow, but honesty, if I do, my insurance is pretty good and should take care of the family quite nicely. They can use the cards as a distraction in that case.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:43 AM
Reg

Mine will be sold off (hopefully before I go..) Maybe go on a nice trip before we're to old.. My wife and I have no kids, my wife is an only child & I have a younger sister whom also doesn't want kids so at this point we have no one to give them too.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:11 AM
Pete Costanzo

Default Collection

To my 2 boys. My 4 yr old loves them already.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:22 PM

The cards will be bequeathed to my wife, who doesn't know Willie Mays from Bryce Harper. I have advised Bill Huggins that if he's ever approached at a show by an attractive, silver-haired woman with his business card in one hand and a Tip-Top Dreyfuss in the other, she'll be my widow.

Mark
Old 05-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Alex

I don't know and I don't care. I'll be dead. Hopefully my heirs can come up with somehing.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:36 PM

I'm getting older by the minute. I have no children & no wife. No cousins & no nephrews. I'm considering auctioning off my cards & using the money for my funeral.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:47 PM
D@rek H.ogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsports View Post
I'm getting older by the minute. I have no children & no wife. No cousins & no nephrews. I'm considering auctioning off my cards & using the money for my funeral.
good lord! you are a nice guy! i hope that was a joke!!!!
Old 05-28-2013, 11:12 PM
Tony Davis

Default 1989 donruss

First net54 member that Pm's me gets my 89 Donruss set when I die. (I'm only 40 so you might have to wait a while.)
Old 05-29-2013, 01:00 AM
Dave Terwi.lliger

I'm fixing on hoodwinking Adrian and blowing the whole mess on hookers and blow.

Last edited by murcerfan; 05-29-2013 at 01:25 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:32 AM
Brian

Kids will get my cards and guns unless they have no interest. If the later, I will sell them off in my golden years.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcerfan View Post
I'm fixing on hoodwinking Adrian and blowing the whole mess on hookers and blow.
lmao

Collecting : Gil Hodges - Brooks Robinson - Cal Ripken Jr

my 1938 Churchman Boxing PSA set
http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistr...?s=137308&ac=1
Old 05-29-2013, 06:23 PM

its already in my will to give to my son....he can sell them if he wants or keep them...but they go to him

Damn I love that kid!

Collecting : Gil Hodges - Brooks Robinson - Cal Ripken Jr

my 1938 Churchman Boxing PSA set
http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistr...?s=137308&ac=1
Old 05-29-2013, 06:47 PM
Jim Schneider

Default Leaving the Collection

I asked my son "When all of this becomes yours, what will you do with it?"....without hesitation he replied "sell it"......the hell with him, I'm selling it before I die and the wife and I are going on one long extravagant vacation!

Last edited by Greenmonster; 05-29-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:57 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
John:

I'll be damned now if I leave you the Old Judge Corcoran in my will!

Kevin

Last edited by kkkkandp; 05-29-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkandp View Post
John:

I'll be damned now if I leave you the Old Judge Corcoran in my will!

Kevin
I've already discussed it with your wife, that's the only one she promised not the shred