NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-02-2019, 10:32 AM
Rob

Default Curious...How have ebay sales been?

Super dead for me. Not even getting bad offers. Anyone else notice a downturn?
Old 11-02-2019, 10:39 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Same here, I am small time and don't list much but it has been almost nothing selling lately.

Last edited by bnorth; 11-02-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:55 AM
Joe Drouillard

Default sales decline on eBay

According to the data provided by eBay (if the information is accurate), in the category of Baseball cards, overall market sales in this category are down 10% in the last 30 days compared to the same period last year. Sales compared to the previous 30 days are down about 2% I believe that that drop in percentage of sales has been pretty consistent since eBay has been collecting State Sales Tax earlier this year. I assume that decline in sales in all categories is increasing.

Personally, my sales are up, but I have about 50% more listings for sale than I had last year.

Best regards,

Joe
Old 11-02-2019, 11:02 AM
Stefan

Quote:
Bad enough that I am planning on a Short-position earnings play for January Earnings
Old 11-02-2019, 11:16 AM
Steve Asmus

I rarely sell on EBay, but over the last month sold a handful of nicer cards. They all seemed to sell pretty well, but I know I have bought less cards on EBay because of the State Sales Tax. I personally have been buying a lot more cards privately and through AH’s, and I look for this trend to continue for me anyway.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:02 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal1010 View Post
I rarely sell on EBay, but over the last month sold a handful of nicer cards. They all seemed to sell pretty well, but I know I have bought less cards on EBay because of the State Sales Tax. I personally have been buying a lot more cards privately and through AH’s, and I look for this trend to continue for me anyway.
May not last long... many/most auction houses are now implementing the state sales taxes. Just saw the disclaimer from Hunt, that they're doing it, effective with their current auction. I'm pretty sure all others will be following suit before too long.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:14 PM
John Hanssen

EBay said it expects adjusted earnings of 73 cents to 76 cents a share on sales of $2.77 billion to $2.82 billion. EBay stock has gained this year, is on par or above the S&P 500 index rising 20%. P/E is right at 16 and bata 1.1. But it not a buy for me. I haven't held a position in EBay in a long time.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:47 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

I have been selling for 15 years and this happens to be one of my best years yet.
It is also a record breaking year for buyers who refuse to pay for their items.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 11-02-2019, 02:00 PM
Neal

Yes!! the past few weeks for me have been super quiet. With over 900 listings and new material weekly, this is just crazy!
Old 11-02-2019, 02:28 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

As a buyer, I can tell you the new imposition of the 'ebay tax' really stopped me in my tracks. I have to imagine that a huge number of regular buyers also curbed their spending habits somewhat. Although it's 'only' around 10%, it takes a card that I would feel good about buying (in other words, at a low enough price to make me think I'm getting a steal) and pushes it into the ole 'that's a little too much for me' category. Plus, it seems that many, many sellers have suddenly raised their shipping charges, too. Could be coincidental with the cards I was looking at, but it really bummed me out. It's like grabbing a hamburger off a fast food dollar menu, and then returning a couple of days later to find it's now on the $5 menu...if you like nonsensical analogies.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 11-02-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:39 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default eBay

October was the worst month for sales that I have had in the past 2 years.

As a buyer, the 5.5% sales tax doesn't stop me from buying something if the price is decent if it is for my collection. If it is for resale, then the tax is a consideration.

There is one unexpected development. I received a message from eBay that I could send offers to specific customers. I thought "what the hell", so I sent out 27 offers with hefty discounts. Within a few hours, I sold 6 items because of the offers.

I know that some people may not like the offers, but if I am watching something and the seller sends me an offer, I may accept it. If not, at least I have a starting point for a counter offer.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:54 PM

I've got a fairly varied watch list and almost nothing has been moving off it that I haven't gotten myself
Old 11-02-2019, 03:13 PM
Garth Guibord

Almost unrelated, I’ve had two of my worst months for selling on COMC since I started about 6.5 years ago. I’m very small time, but July and October were negligible for sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2019, 03:39 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

On a side note, ebay also hasn't had one of their 15% off promotions in God knows how long. I'm sure those are a nice short-term boon for many sellers.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:10 PM
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
On a side note, ebay also hasn't had one of their 15% off promotions in God knows how long. I'm sure those are a nice short-term boon for many sellers.
it'll pop up once you buy everything you want!!!!
Old 11-02-2019, 05:58 PM
John D.

Personally the sales tax stopped me. Since I have plenty of other places to buy, Philly, White Plains, Long Island shows, plus the BST and a few auctions have been where I have been. I kind of like it, since it makes it more like a hobby for me saving up and heading to a show instead of setting snipes and waiting for the 10% eBay bucks days.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:42 PM
Jimmy

Sales have not been very good this fall, I had much better results last spring and early summer. Still a good amount of interest and the sales tax thing will take time to adjust. I think we are just going through a phase with so much going on in the hobby, always seems to be up and down. It's not just eBay, I noticed the same thing with local shows. In the long run the eBay issues will only help the shows and I may see an increase in show transactions. Due to the slow sales, I have not purchased as much either. I do expect the next few months to be a little better with the holidays coming around.

Jimmy

Last edited by jbsports33; 11-02-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:46 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

As a buyer with a pretty varied watch list, I haven’t seen a new fairly priced nice item showing up in 5 or 6 months. Frustrating. Same ridiculously priced items just being relisted month after month after month.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 11-02-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:54 AM
octavio ranzola

Agree with steve ,,,stupid prices and now you pay taxes ,,,ill keep it here

Last edited by rjackson44; 11-03-2019 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:24 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Sadly, living in WA with 10.1% tax and seemingly never ending shipping increases, even a 15% discount doesn’t compel me anymore. I’m honestly not sure 20% would either. I can count on one hand the number of things I’ve bought on EBay in 2019.

Why any member of this board would list something on eBay without at least trying to sell in on the BST first makes zero sense to me.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I am making more sales and buys on the BST than ever. Every time I factor in the +/- 10% tax plus shipping the deals on cards don't seem that good. I don't mind paying tax on stuff I use every day but for my collection it is just a cost I hate. And it has definitely lead to less buys on the bay (although I still do buy there regularly) than before the tax issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Sadly, living in WA with 10.1% tax and seemingly never ending shipping increases, even a 15% discount doesn’t compel me anymore. I’m honestly not sure 20% would either. I can count on one hand the number of things I’ve bought on EBay in 2019.

Why any member of this board would list something on eBay without at least trying to sell in on the BST first makes zero sense to me.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:14 AM
Bradley

Someone above wrote about the tax stopping him dead in his tracks... for me, 1000% agree
Old 11-03-2019, 07:36 AM
Matt

Default slow...

I'm not a big time seller, but my Ebay sales have been dead for over a month. I'm waiting, hoping, and expecting that the holiday season and eBay's 15% off coupons will help out. I don't think there's been a good coupon since last winter?
Old 11-03-2019, 08:21 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Living in Canada, the shipping rates from ebay sellers are ridiculous. Thats why I buy off the BST here where members charge me actual shipping rates to canada not this inflated one that ebay sellers have.
I mean it does not cost 24 bucks to ship a 56 topps common to Toronto
Old 11-03-2019, 10:31 AM
Rob

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam already...but is sales tax really being applied correctly here? A baseball card could change hands 20 times in its lifetime. Should the gov't be getting a cut every time? Are they taxing the item or the transaction? Seems like the transaction.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:33 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebboy View Post
EBay said it expects adjusted earnings of 73 cents to 76 cents a share on sales of $2.77 billion to $2.82 billion. EBay stock has gained this year, is on par or above the S&P 500 index rising 20%. P/E is right at 16 and bata 1.1. But it not a buy for me. I haven't held a position in EBay in a long time.
I don't hold positions in any company that promotes forgery and fraud and resides in the Philippines..... THAT MEANS NO FU BAY, not even in any of my mutual funds. They are crooks PERIOD.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:34 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
I'm not a big time seller, but my Ebay sales have been dead for over a month. I'm waiting, hoping, and expecting that the holiday season and eBay's 15% off coupons will help out. I don't think there's been a good coupon since last winter?
can't wait for those 15% coupons, when my sales tax rate is 10%...No need for their coupon, they can keep it and stick it.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
can't wait for those 15% coupons, when my sales tax rate is 10%...No need for their coupon, they can keep it and stick it.
Jeez. . . .Do you think the decision to impose sales tax was eBay's idea?
Old 11-04-2019, 12:52 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
I don't hold positions in any company that promotes forgery and fraud and resides in the Philippines..... THAT MEANS NO FU BAY, not even in any of my mutual funds. They are crooks PERIOD.
Chuck has anyone ever told you that your positive nature lights up the room like a T206 Honus Wagner.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:06 PM
Robert Williams

Ebay sales have been crappy. Like....record lows for VCP tracked cards.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:07 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
Chuck has anyone ever told you that your positive nature lights up the room like a T206 Honus Wagner.

I thought I was the only one who noticed that.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:19 PM

I used to buy/sell collections for fun. Considering time + shipping + hassle + rising ebay/paypal + fees+ taxes....just not enough (or any) money in it for me.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:20 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Not seeing a lot of interest in ebay, but anything I post in various facebook groups gets grabbed, often within minutes.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:24 PM

The only large trend I've noticed with ebay over the past couple years, has been the shift to more bins and fewer auctions.

And because of that, the ability to get "deals" is not as good as it used to be. It is more of a retail outlet now, in a world where online retail is not driven by Ebay.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:31 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post

There is one unexpected development. I received a message from eBay that I could send offers to specific customers. I thought "what the hell", so I sent out 27 offers with hefty discounts. Within a few hours, I sold 6 items because of the offers.

I know that some people may not like the offers, but if I am watching something and the seller sends me an offer, I may accept it. If not, at least I have a starting point for a counter offer.
I've had success doing this as well recently.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:32 PM
J0hn Collin$

I don't sell a ton, but usually have 5-10 cards listed with a BIN / offer combo at any given time. I have noticed traffic is down. I used to get lowball / bad offers every day, now I only get them maybe twice a week.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:24 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
The only large trend I've noticed with ebay over the past couple years, has been the shift to more bins and fewer auctions.

And because of that, the ability to get "deals" is not as good as it used to be. It is more of a retail outlet now, in a world where online retail is not driven by Ebay.
I've noticed the opposite...it seems there's been a shift back to auction style...at least on the memorabilia side. I'd prefer to just make an offer and haggle...way too impatient to wait 7 or 10 days for an ebay auction to end.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:37 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default taxes

Quote:
I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam already...but is sales tax really being applied correctly here? A baseball card could change hands 20 times in its lifetime. Should the gov't be getting a cut every time? Are they taxing the item or the transaction? Seems like the transaction.
Nothing new here. When you buy a car at a dealership, you pay sales taxes. When you sell it 3 years down the road the buyer pays sales taxes. Everytime it sells, sales taxes are paid. Why should baseball cards be any different?

Don't blame eBay. Blame your Congress person. Has anyone done anything besides bitching on Net54? Call your Congress person and bitch to them.

Last edited by buymycards; 11-04-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:10 PM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I am making more sales and buys on the BST than ever. Every time I factor in the +/- 10% tax plus shipping the deals on cards don't seem that good. I don't mind paying tax on stuff I use every day but for my collection it is just a cost I hate. And it has definitely lead to less buys on the bay (although I still do buy there regularly) than before the tax issue.
So I never used the BST here; does paypal charge/collect sales tax? or are these tax free so to speak, for the buyer? As a seller, I am technically not responible for any type of "use" tax right and I probably paid tax when I made the purchase?

Last edited by cardsnstuff; 11-04-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:15 PM
Bruce Fairchild

I haven't slowed up much if any. No sales tax on eBay for me.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:36 PM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Quote:
Nothing new here. When you buy a car at a dealership, you pay sales taxes. When you sell it 3 years down the road the buyer pays sales taxes. Everytime it sells, sales taxes are paid. Why should baseball cards be any different?

Don't blame eBay. Blame your Congress person. Has anyone done anything besides bitching on Net54? Call your Congress person and bitch to them.
I missed them putting Congress in charge of sales tax. Guess they have the expertise, though.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2019, 05:10 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Sales tax

It is actually the states that are in charge, and the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the South Dakota in one case, but there have been several bills that were making their way through Congress, most of which would have had the same outcome as the Supreme Court ruling. It looks like the States, the Courts, and Congress are all supporting online sales tax collection.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:20 PM
Rob

Quote:
Yeah...I've made the car analogy myself. Seems odd though that a baseball card would be handled like a car. Cars are regulated and tracked by the government. It's known when they change hands. What other daily use items were re-taxed every time they changed hands prior to this law?

And in that case...Shouldn't dealers be charging sales tax at shows?
Old 11-04-2019, 07:22 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsnstuff View Post
So I never used the BST here; does paypal charge/collect sales tax? or are these tax free so to speak, for the buyer? As a seller, I am technically not responible for any type of "use" tax right and I probably paid tax when I made the purchase?

All depends on the deal you make with the seller. The BST is just a connector between both parties. It is actually a wonderful service that Leon provides.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:31 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Yeah...I've made the car analogy myself. Seems odd though that a baseball card would be handled like a car. Cars are regulated and tracked by the government. It's known when they change hands. What other daily use items were re-taxed every time they changed hands prior to this law?

And in that case...Shouldn't dealers be charging sales tax at shows?
The honest ones do in states that require it.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:20 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Rob, there are many stores (both for-profit and for-charity) that sell used furniture, used clothing, etc., and these store collect sales tax from their customers. And, of course, sales tax was collected on these same items when they were originally sold new.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:33 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Mabe taxes will take down all the Fraudsters in the Card Industry......It got Capone

Last edited by Johnny630; 11-05-2019 at 06:11 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:57 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Absolutely Crappy!
Old 11-05-2019, 06:34 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Rob, there are many stores (both for-profit and for-charity) that sell used furniture, used clothing, etc., and these store collect sales tax from their customers. And, of course, sales tax was collected on these same items when they were originally sold new.
And just like that...Everyone that sells on ebay became a store. Even if you sell 5 cards worth $50 per year.

Again...by nature memorabilia and cards are more likely to change hands more often than furniture or clothes. Do you own a shirt that 19 other people owned first?

Last edited by Fballguy; 11-05-2019 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Because
Old 11-05-2019, 07:26 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
And just like that...Everyone that sells on ebay became a store. Even if you sell 5 cards worth $50 per year.

Again...by nature memorabilia and cards are more likely to change hands more often than furniture or clothes. Do you own a shirt that 19 other people owned first?
This country is predicated on the concept if capitalism. If one sells stuff online...like a retailer...or rents part of their home to strangers(air bnb) like a hotel...why should they be immune from paying taxes? Everyone wants their cake and to eat it too!

I have been mostly not buying graded cards until this past weekend...i picked up a few on ebay and am very happy with the prices...even with the taxes.