NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-07-2020, 10:47 PM

Default My Al Kaline Baseball Card Story

I was nine years old in 1968 and in my second year of collecting and trading baseball cards. I would buy a few packs of cards now and then when I could afford it, which wasn’t very often. I built up my collection mostly through shrewd trades with my friends. One day in early summer, I bought some packs and lo and behold, there was Al Kaline, the biggest Detroit Tiger star and already a baseball legend. Living in Michigan and rooting for the Tigers, that was a very big deal. What was even better was that I found a second Kaline card a few packs later. Now I had some serious trading material. Soon after, I got together with my card collecting buddies and swapped my extra Kaline card for a handsome return.

The summer went on and new series of baseball cards came and went. Towards the end of summer, I was trading cards with a kid I hadn’t traded with before. During the course of our conversation, I let it slip that I had an Al Kaline card in my collection. His eyes got big and he offered me a big stack of cards, probably about 100 cards for my Kaline card. His cards were from the 6th and 7th series, cards I hadn’t seen before and didn’t have in my collection yet. While I was tempted, there was no way I would trade my only remaining card of Al Kaline. I had a steadfast rule to never trade any singles of Tiger players, as those were my favorite cards in my collection. But then the unthinkable happened. He doubled his offer to around 200 cards, including just about all the cards in the 6th and 7th series. I felt myself wavering. Could I really part with my Kaline card? Could I afford not to take this gigantic offer? My greed got the best of me and I made the trade.

I continued to collect baseball cards and trade with my friends, thinking that I would someday find another 1968 Al Kaline card. But it didn’t happen. In early 1970 my family moved to California, and I found some new card collector friends that were not Detroit Tiger collectors. That should have made it easy to get a 1968 Kaline, but I was never able to get one from any of my new friends. For five long years I was haunted by the loss of my 1968 Kaline card, unable to replace it. The baseball card gods were making me pay a dear price for my greed.

Finally my card collecting landscape changed in 1973. I began subscribing to a baseball card magazine and started attending baseball card shows, a new invention back then. Old baseball cards suddenly became accessible, something that was unimaginable even a year earlier. As I hungrily gobbled up all the old baseball cards I could afford, I finally reacquired a 1968 Al Kaline card.

I still have feelings of guilt and betrayal when I think about the 1968 Al Kaline card. Al Kaline helped lead the Tigers to the 1968 World Championship, a huge deal to a nine-year-old baseball fan in Michigan. And I traded him away. I know Al Kaline would have forgiven me, but I’ve never quite forgiven myself.

Rest in Peace, Al Kaline. You were a big part of my youth for your consistent greatness on the baseball field and for your baseball cards and card collecting memories.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:59 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Good job

Kaline would have said something like "Hey you made a great deal! Glad to have finally won that series for you and the Detroit fans in 1968 ! Thanks for being a loyal Tiger supporter and Im glad you got that card back eventually! Go Tigers! "
Old 04-08-2020, 05:31 AM

Nice story! I grew up in Baltimore and my friends dad went to HS with him. I believe it was Southern High School. He grew up in a neighborhood called Westport in Baltimore City. I found his house on google street view recently. Thepr is a big vacant lot at the end of the street. I imagined him playing ball as a kid in the lot . I like finding address on baseball related materials ( postcards, advertising stamps on the back of some issues, contracts) ) and Googling the address.
I have seen Jim Palmer’s house from the early 1970s (modest)., a brownstone in Brooklyn where a postcard was sent in 1916 ( now a jerk chicken store) and a address on the back of a 1860s Victorian bb card is now a Deli in Albany / Syracuse.. I forget the city.
Al was a class act. Never heard a bad word about him. I listened to a podcast a few days ago and Jim Kaat was saying how he hated facing Al. Al got the best of him !