NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-18-2020, 12:49 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Default Jesse Gonder "printing plate" ?

Is this some sort of printer plate? aprox 2" by 2.5" it weighs over an ounce and is the thickness of a penny. It sort of looks like this photo yet the image is reversed?
Larry

Old 09-18-2020, 01:58 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Larry:

I've seen one other plate like this, for a Red Sox player, with the same kind of back. Reverse image makes sense as (I believe as a layman) the image was inked, transferred to a rubber mat and then slapped onto the press sheet (along with others players of course). Steve Birmingham might know a lot more about the process but that's my understanding.
EDIT, I think my middle part above is incorrect?

Last edited by toppcat; 09-18-2020 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:34 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Photo printing process didn't include plates, to my knowledge; just exposure in a dark room from the original film.

May have been from a publication (magazine, newspaper) or obscure card set. Gonder wasn't on Cincy long, so it could be dated pretty easily to 1962-63.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:25 PM
Bob Andrews

Yup, a photoengraving plate, usually made with copper or zinc. Saw lots of these when I worked at the now-defunct Houston Post in the 70s and early 80s. Made through a painstaking process that had been streamlined quite a bit by the time I was working there. It was still fascinating to watch the whole process of the pages being laid out.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:45 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
Yup, a photoengraving plate, usually made with copper or zinc. Saw lots of these when I worked at the now-defunct Houston Post in the 70s and early 80s. Made through a painstaking process that had been streamlined quite a bit by the time I was working there. It was still fascinating to watch the whole process of the pages being laid out.
Yep, that's it. Pretty cool.

It's a pretty rough screen, so I'm thinking it's from something like a local program or newspaper, something that didn't have super high production values. (Newspapers are difficult, some were done this way, some with rubber "plates" - some are screened roughly like this, others have excellent quality photos. It's most likely a technology vs budget sort of thing.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:14 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

thanks everyone for the replies!
Larry
Old 09-19-2020, 12:06 PM

Bob Andrews and Steve Birmingham are right on target. When I broke into the newspaper business in the late 1960s, we called these "halftones." They were made from original photos by photoengravers and mounted on lead blocks that were fitted into the chase that held the type for the page set by linotype machines. This chase was then used to make a cardboard mold (stereotyping) from which the actual metal printing plate was cast. This process was still in use at the papers I worked for in Boston into the 1970s, but was gradually supplanted by computers and offset printing techniques employed today. One-column "cuts" like your Gonder were often saved and filed in cabinets in the newspaper's morgue or library and reused to save time and money. Thus, many have survived today. Though they are steps away from being "printing plates," these "cuts" or "halftones" can be inked and used to make crude proofs of the image.