NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-08-2020, 08:46 AM
Seven's Avatar
Seven Seven is offline
James
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,112
Default Looking For a Collector/Dealer that opperated in Cooperstow

I would like to preface this by saying this is is a bit of a wordy post, quite possibly totally shot in the dark and also it happened quite some time ago, please bear with me!

Roughly 12 years ago on a trip to Cooperstown I remember going through the various stores that are in the area near the Hall of Fame, when I encountered a small sign advertising to what I believe was "baseball cards for sale" or a "baseball card show" It was located in the building of the Coopersown Veterans Club. You would go through the giant red door (for those of you who know the building I am referring to)

There was a very nice man who had a few tables set up selling a great deal of vintage cards. Some Old Tobacco stuff, various topps and bowman cards. Extremely knowledgeable about the Hobby. I actually purchased my 56 Mantle off of him. I'd wager he's probably in his 60's by now if he's still alive. I was wondering if anyone else encountered this person/knows what I'm talking about. Additionally if he's still in the hobby and selling cards. I did venture up to Cooperstown again this past summer and did not see him set up there.

Again I know complete shot in the dark, but with how knowledgeable some of the members of this board along with the connections some people have, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thank you.

EDIT:

Another thing I remembered, I believe it was after the enshrinement of the new class already occurred. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that it was not during induction weekend.

Last edited by Seven; 06-08-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-08-2020, 08:51 AM
Rich Klein Rich Klein is offline
Rich Klein
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Plano Tx
Posts: 4,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I would like to preface this by saying this is is a bit of a wordy post, quite possibly totally shot in the dark and also it happened quite some time ago, please bear with me!

Roughly 12 years ago on a trip to Cooperstown I remember going through the various stores that are in the area near the Hall of Fame, when I encountered a small sign advertising to what I believe was "baseball cards for sale" or a "baseball card show" It was located in the building of the Coopersown Veterans Club. You would go through the giant red door (for those of you who know the building I am referring to)

There was a very nice man who had a few tables set up selling a great deal of vintage cards. Some Old Tobacco stuff, various topps and bowman cards. Extremely knowledgeable about the Hobby. I actually purchased my 56 Mantle off of him. I'd wager he's probably in his 60's by now if he's still alive. I was wondering if anyone else encountered this person/knows what I'm talking about. Additionally if he's still in the hobby and selling cards. I did venture up to Cooperstown again this past summer and did not see him set up there.

Again I know complete shot in the dark, but with how knowledgeable some of the members of this board along with the connections some people have, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thank you.
Are you talking about the yearly show Ted Z talks about setting up at almost every year?
__________________
Look for our show listings in the Net 54 Calendar section
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-08-2020, 09:04 AM
Aquarian Sports Cards Aquarian Sports Cards is offline
Scott Russell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,852
Default

Could be a lot of guys. Possibly George Mollyn. Description fits and he always does that show and your description could be a match for his typical inventory.
__________________
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CCAuctionHouse

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-08-2020, 09:19 AM
Seven's Avatar
Seven Seven is offline
James
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Are you talking about the yearly show Ted Z talks about setting up at almost every year?
It quite honestly could be. I did a bit of looking around when I was up there this past summer and the owner of Yastrzemski's, I believe did say that there was someone that matched the story I gave. Said he usually sets up during the summer during and right after the induction weekend I believe. He gave me a name too, but I forgot to write it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Could be a lot of guys. Possibly George Mollyn. Description fits and he always does that show and your description could be a match for his typical inventory.
Could also be George Mollyn, or the Person that Rich Mentioned, I have a sample of his handwriting, because I still have the plastic in which he originally sold me one of the cards, I will get around to uploading it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-08-2020, 09:27 AM
Seven's Avatar
Seven Seven is offline
James
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,112
Default

Update Here's the handwriting in question! If this helps at all



I also distinctly remember having a conversation about the 1934 Goudey set, having "Lou Gehrig Says" on a portion of the cards. Why that distinctly comes to mind I do not know.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-08-2020, 09:49 AM
tedzan tedzan is offline
Ted Zanidakis
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pennsylvania & Maine
Posts: 9,739
Default Cooperstown Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Could also be George Mollyn, or the Person that Rich Mentioned, I have a sample of his handwriting, because I still have the plastic in which he originally sold me one of the cards, I will get around to uploading it.
James

I use to set-up at the HOF weekend Show in the VFW building in Cooperstown. So, I probably met you there. However, the guy you are referring to is George Mollyn.

This Summer will not have the HOF induction ceremonies. So, I do not know if the annual BB card Show will be held. I will post a Tel # which you can call to find out.


TED Z

T206 Reference
.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-08-2020, 09:54 AM
Seven's Avatar
Seven Seven is offline
James
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
James

I use to set-up at the HOF weekend Show in the VFW building in Cooperstown. So, I probably met you there. However, the guy you are referring to is George Mollyn.

This Summer will not have the HOF induction ceremonies. So, I do not know if the annual BB card Show will be held. I will post a Tel # which you can call to find out.


TED Z

T206 Reference
.
Ted,

I appreciate the clarification. I'm continuously amazed on how small of a world we live in sometimes! I will be taking your word on this, that it is George! I would wager that I'm probably not going up this summer due to everything going on. I would assume George is still selling which if that is the case, I would love to see what he still has. Additionally do either of you attend any other events throughout the course of a regular year? Thank you so much for all the help!
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RIP Ron Barrett - Longtime Dealer Collector Leon Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 12 12-28-2017 01:27 PM
The Full Service Dealer for the Prewar Collector frankbmd Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 7 05-12-2017 11:13 AM
Looking for Etan (NYC Collector/Dealer) MVSNYC Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 5 03-04-2013 07:20 PM
Anyone know how to contact collector/dealer Pat Quinn in Chicago? Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 0 12-22-2004 04:02 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:57 PM.


ebay GSB