NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-08-2020, 07:46 AM
James M.

Default Looking For a Collector/Dealer that opperated in Cooperstow

I would like to preface this by saying this is is a bit of a wordy post, quite possibly totally shot in the dark and also it happened quite some time ago, please bear with me!

Roughly 12 years ago on a trip to Cooperstown I remember going through the various stores that are in the area near the Hall of Fame, when I encountered a small sign advertising to what I believe was "baseball cards for sale" or a "baseball card show" It was located in the building of the Coopersown Veterans Club. You would go through the giant red door (for those of you who know the building I am referring to)

There was a very nice man who had a few tables set up selling a great deal of vintage cards. Some Old Tobacco stuff, various topps and bowman cards. Extremely knowledgeable about the Hobby. I actually purchased my 56 Mantle off of him. I'd wager he's probably in his 60's by now if he's still alive. I was wondering if anyone else encountered this person/knows what I'm talking about. Additionally if he's still in the hobby and selling cards. I did venture up to Cooperstown again this past summer and did not see him set up there.

Again I know complete shot in the dark, but with how knowledgeable some of the members of this board along with the connections some people have, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thank you.

EDIT:

Another thing I remembered, I believe it was after the enshrinement of the new class already occurred. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that it was not during induction weekend.

Last edited by Seven; 06-08-2020 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:51 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I would like to preface this by saying this is is a bit of a wordy post, quite possibly totally shot in the dark and also it happened quite some time ago, please bear with me!

Roughly 12 years ago on a trip to Cooperstown I remember going through the various stores that are in the area near the Hall of Fame, when I encountered a small sign advertising to what I believe was "baseball cards for sale" or a "baseball card show" It was located in the building of the Coopersown Veterans Club. You would go through the giant red door (for those of you who know the building I am referring to)

There was a very nice man who had a few tables set up selling a great deal of vintage cards. Some Old Tobacco stuff, various topps and bowman cards. Extremely knowledgeable about the Hobby. I actually purchased my 56 Mantle off of him. I'd wager he's probably in his 60's by now if he's still alive. I was wondering if anyone else encountered this person/knows what I'm talking about. Additionally if he's still in the hobby and selling cards. I did venture up to Cooperstown again this past summer and did not see him set up there.

Again I know complete shot in the dark, but with how knowledgeable some of the members of this board along with the connections some people have, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thank you.
Are you talking about the yearly show Ted Z talks about setting up at almost every year?
Old 06-08-2020, 08:04 AM
Scott Russell

Could be a lot of guys. Possibly George Mollyn. Description fits and he always does that show and your description could be a match for his typical inventory.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-08-2020, 08:19 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Are you talking about the yearly show Ted Z talks about setting up at almost every year?
It quite honestly could be. I did a bit of looking around when I was up there this past summer and the owner of Yastrzemski's, I believe did say that there was someone that matched the story I gave. Said he usually sets up during the summer during and right after the induction weekend I believe. He gave me a name too, but I forgot to write it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Could be a lot of guys. Possibly George Mollyn. Description fits and he always does that show and your description could be a match for his typical inventory.
Could also be George Mollyn, or the Person that Rich Mentioned, I have a sample of his handwriting, because I still have the plastic in which he originally sold me one of the cards, I will get around to uploading it.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:27 AM
James M.

Update Here's the handwriting in question! If this helps at all

I also distinctly remember having a conversation about the 1934 Goudey set, having "Lou Gehrig Says" on a portion of the cards. Why that distinctly comes to mind I do not know.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:49 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Cooperstown Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Could also be George Mollyn, or the Person that Rich Mentioned, I have a sample of his handwriting, because I still have the plastic in which he originally sold me one of the cards, I will get around to uploading it.
James

I use to set-up at the HOF weekend Show in the VFW building in Cooperstown. So, I probably met you there. However, the guy you are referring to is George Mollyn.

This Summer will not have the HOF induction ceremonies. So, I do not know if the annual BB card Show will be held. I will post a Tel # which you can call to find out.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 06-08-2020, 08:54 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
James

I use to set-up at the HOF weekend Show in the VFW building in Cooperstown. So, I probably met you there. However, the guy you are referring to is George Mollyn.

This Summer will not have the HOF induction ceremonies. So, I do not know if the annual BB card Show will be held. I will post a Tel # which you can call to find out.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Ted,

I appreciate the clarification. I'm continuously amazed on how small of a world we live in sometimes! I will be taking your word on this, that it is George! I would wager that I'm probably not going up this summer due to everything going on. I would assume George is still selling which if that is the case, I would love to see what he still has. Additionally do either of you attend any other events throughout the course of a regular year? Thank you so much for all the help!
Old 06-08-2020, 09:57 AM
Scott Russell

George writes on his sleeves that way. He does mall shows in the Allentown, PA area. He is a complete luddite, no online presence whatsoever. (though he loves candy crush lol) Great guy but unless you're in North Eastern PA or at the Cooperstown show he's a hard guy to do business with.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 06-08-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:16 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
George writes on his sleeves that way. He does mall shows in the Allentown, PA area. He is a complete luddite, no online presence whatsoever. (though he loves candy crush lol) Great guy but unless you're in North Eastern PA or at the Cooperstown show he's a hard guy to do business with.
I respect his dedication against technology. Guess I'll have to take a trip to Allentown next time he does a show! I'd imagine more or less everything's on hold, but for future references any particular website I could find when the shows are held? Thanks.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:09 AM
Scott Russell

They used to be on SCD's website. The original promoter retired a couple years ago and I'm not sure what the new guy is doing.

Look for Palmer Park Mall and South Mall

Old 06-09-2020, 06:10 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Hi James.
That was definitely George. They didn’t come last summer because the vfw wouldn’t let them set up in the hallway near the entrance any more - only in the inner room. They figured it wasn’t worth it and decided not to come last summer and maybe not again unless things change. As stated you can find George at those mall shows in middle eastern PA when shows happen again. Tell him I said hi if you reach him.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:28 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
Hi James.
That was definitely George. They didn’t come last summer because the vfw wouldn’t let them set up in the hallway near the entrance any more - only in the inner room. They figured it wasn’t worth it and decided not to come last summer and maybe not again unless things change. As stated you can find George at those mall shows in middle eastern PA when shows happen again. Tell him I said hi if you reach him.
Adam, Thank you for the response, I will defintely say Hello at the next possible opportunity! I believe I might've also discussed this topic with you at your store this past summer. Went to so many places over the span of a couple of days, but I believe your store was where I purchased a 54 Bowman and a 61 Topps Mickey Mantle. You also graciously showed me a complete set of the 1953 Topps that you had and were telling me about a Hockey Stick you had signed by Wayne Gretzky. Perhaps my favorite interaction was when one of your cashiers could not understand why someone would pay a good amount for pieces of cardboard, and you responded something along the lines of "It's Mickey Mantle and that's all you need to know!"