NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-10-2021, 08:13 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Bubble has burst? Huh? What? When? The freaking cards that I want keep going up!
Old 05-10-2021, 08:50 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Putting a card (or anything else) up for sale without an asking price, just a note that you are taking offers, is really just seeing if anyone is a bigger fool than you are.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 05-11-2021, 06:21 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Bubble has burst? Huh? What? When? The freaking cards that I want keep going up!
Not all have come back to Earth. There are always exceptions.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:36 AM
Luke Lyon

I think the item matters a lot. If I post a T206 common in a PSA 3 holder and ask for offers, that is kind of obnoxious since I can easily find the value.

However what if I was on the fence about selling this card (it's not actually for sale)? Pretty tough to put a price on it, and even if I was thinking of selling, I'd be conflicted about it. Someone would have to convince me.

I imagine that some of the time you see "make an offer" it's because the seller"

1. Doesn't know the value precisely
2. Doesn't want to leave $ on the table (and maybe they like the card and keeping it is very much on the table)
3. Doesn't want to annoy anyone by pulling a number out of the air and having people think it's too high.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1934 Annis Furs Gehringer PSA 6 aa.jpg (78.7 KB, 260 views)
Old 05-11-2021, 09:53 AM
Steve Birmingham

When things are changing fairly quickly, I can see why someone might not put a price.

A few months ago a pack I considered selling was maybe 400 raw 600 graded.
Just checked, and now it's more line 700/4000...

With BST posts generally not time limited, I'm sure if I'd listed it at 400+ it would have sold a month later when that went from a high price to a low price.
Or, since I tend to not bump stuff, it would either be sitting unsold, or I'd end up selling it for very little when someone found the old listing.

Heck, I have shopped for even very stable stuff so seldom this past year that when I looked at the T206 prices they all seemed about double, even on lower grade cards.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:12 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Since when are there cut and dried rules for making a deal. Sometimes you have to be creative to get er done.

Build an anticipated discount into your asking price. Hagglers love to win in a negotiation.

Some one inquires about a card that you really don’t want to sell and asks for a price. Well, hell, everything is for sale in reality. “Make me an offer I cannot refuse.”

“What’s your best price?” from a buyer? Now this is a turn off. Sellers should avoid negotiating against themselves.

If you live in an “I’ll take it” world only, you should invest in an online marketing course.

So many other possibilities to consider.

Buy three, get the fourth free (and set the prices accordingly).

Etc etc etc

BST ,with few rules (thanks Leon), is a wonderful venue to experiment with creative marketing techniques. You will never appeal to all buyers, unless you give your merchandise away, and even then some buyers will demand free shipping.

Everyone is entitled to their preferences, but I guarantee this thread will not result in a consensus of opinion.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:14 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I think the item matters a lot. If I post a T206 common in a PSA 3 holder and ask for offers, that is kind of obnoxious since I can easily find the value.

However what if I was on the fence about selling this card (it's not actually for sale)? Pretty tough to put a price on it, and even if I was thinking of selling, I'd be conflicted about it. Someone would have to convince me.

I imagine that some of the time you see "make an offer" it's because the seller"

1. Doesn't know the value precisely
2. Doesn't want to leave $ on the table (and maybe they like the card and keeping it is very much on the table)
3. Doesn't want to annoy anyone by pulling a number out of the air and having people think it's too high.
Bingo...We have a winner.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:28 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post

...unless you give your merchandise away, and even then some buyers will demand free shipping...
Hilarious...and (sadly) probably true.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 05-11-2021, 02:24 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Hilarious...and (sadly) probably true.
Hahaha yes they will !! And then this….I only pay Goods and Services Well sir then you will have to few, buyer….I’ll pass.

I once got booted off a Facebook vintage basketball group, reason? I was told by the Admin you can’t have the buyers pay the fee….I said Wrong It’s my Card/My Rules….he went on to lecture about EBay fees sellers encounter ect, my reply this isn’t ebay it’s Facebook. Next step I’m booted, I just laughed.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:35 PM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
. . . but I guarantee this thread will not result in a consensus of opinion.
THIS STATEMENT is something that we probably could come at least close to consensus on!

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS
Old 05-11-2021, 04:41 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

PM them an offer they cant refuse

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-11-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Ha, was going to post same thing. It's just a game as others have mentioned. Basically saying "It's probably worth $1200, but it you want to offer me $3000, who am I to say no."

I know eBay has the same process in place to make an offer, but I don't waste any more time on any such listings on BST. Never go anywhere. If you want to sell something name your price.
THIS!!!

I have a price in mind, but I want to see if anyone will offer more than what I'm looking for...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by pwang100; 05-11-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:25 PM
Art Levenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwang100 View Post
THIS!!!

I have a price in mind, but I want to see if anyone will offer more than what I'm looking for...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
You say this as if it's wrong? Should people not be trying to get as much as they can?
Old 05-11-2021, 06:29 PM
Johnny MaZilli

This post proves to me it’s all about the money not the cards for many people here and elsewhere. Nothing is wrong with that, just as nothing is wrong with being in it just for the love of the cards.

Last edited by Johnny630; 05-11-2021 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:59 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their preferences, but I guarantee this thread will not result in a consensus of opinion.
I think this applies to the Covid vaccine thread in the watercooler section as well.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:04 PM
Art Levenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
This post proves to me it’s all about the money not the cards for many people here and elsewhere. Nothing is wrong with that, just as nothing is wrong with being in it just for the love of the cards.
It can be about the cards when you start to sell. We'll see if your viewpoint changes.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:49 AM
Steven

I guess it annoys me a bit when someone does this, but its their card and they can do what they want.

I have done this a couple time as well. I have done it when thinking about selling a card and feeling out some interest. If I were to sell my 1910 WW WaJo PC this is absolutely the way I would go, there are 4 of them and they are tucked away in collections and have little/no public sales, my only price point is what I paid for it a few years ago.

Micromanaging is exhausting in general and people do not like to be told what to do...
Old 05-12-2021, 09:48 AM
Wimberleycardcollector

No price and I pass. No judgement here. It's just the way I buy. I'm not into haggling. You either want to sell it or not.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:30 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimberleycardcollector View Post
No price and I pass. No judgement here. It's just the way I buy. I'm not into haggling. You either want to sell it or not.
Not true at all. Things are not necessarily for sale, but almost anything can be bought.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:10 AM
Eric Perry

Oh my...I never envisioned this thread would get the number of views and replies that it has.

When looking through the BST forums the other day, I ran into half a dozen or so items on my post-war "want list." Perhaps it was the repetition...see card, want card, look for price of card, find no price. By the time I made it to the 1980-present BST forum, I was already a bit annoyed.

None of these were scarce cards, nor were they tremendously valuable. Think fifth year cards of mid-tier HOFers in EX or so. Just something fun to look forward to in the mail this week. I probably should have just gone on eBay and purchased a 195X Joe Shlabotnik. It certainly would have caused fewer waves. But no. Like I said, I made my way to the 1980-present BST.

Upon arriving, I saw a few common but cool items from the junk wax era. I checked out one of those listings. Guess what? No price (how much?) - no payment details (I can use G&S, right?) - no shipping info (who is paying to ship it...and from where?) - nothing. Posts like this used to be the exception around here. Lately, they're becoming more commonplace. For whatever reason, that rubbed me the wrong way. Straw that broke the camel's back, I suppose.

Anyway, I figured posting a quick mini-rant would help me to blow off steam. Most likely, a couple people would read it and then the thread would quickly drop off the front page. Interestingly, though, quite a few of you have weighed in on this. From a sociological standpoint, this thread has been fascinating to follow. Yogi was right. You can observe a lot by just watching.

I realize not everyone shares my point of view, and that's okay. I rather enjoy the vast difference of opinions here. It would be a pretty boring place if group-think set in. But damn, Net54 is a great place. Let's try not to treat it like Facebook or eBay.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 05-12-2021, 11:13 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Not true at all. Things are not necessarily for sale, but almost anything can be bought.
Reminds me of the movie "Indecent Proposal" with Robert Redford, Demi Moore and Woody Harrelson. Demi was Woody's "T206 Wagner", and he experienced some big time seller's remorse.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:27 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I chatted up someone on eBay who I had bought something from, because he mentioned he had a bunch of other cards from the early 70's that he would sell to me, because he had no interest in them. There was no price or anything mentioned, but it started a conversation between us. That's how I see it here. Some people get outraged that prices aren't posted, so just move on. Not exactly what I would call a 'real' problem. But for others, it very well may lead to a conversation between a seller and a potential buyer, so it's all good.

The reason I brought up the eBay thing is because he sent me a bunch of photos and the cards were in decent shape, with a few HOF'ers present here and there - Sutton, Santo, Marichal, Williams - but there was no list of numbers or anything, and he wanted me to make an offer. Since there wasn't too much to go on, I had a number in mind, but I deferred, because as a buyer I wanted to see where he was at. So I told him he really had to tell me what price seemed fair to him. After a couple of pleasant back and forths (off of eBay, so don't tell anyone) and a few more pics, he gave me a number...which was probably only half of what I would have been willing to pay, so I jumped at it. In the end (haven't gotten the cards yet), the 'priceless' chat led to a better deal for me, but also for him, because he was happy with his price. Again, this applies to listings here in the B/S/T. Sometimes the seller will do better for himself and other times the buyer will think he got a steal. That's life.

Postscript: after the box of cards arrives, if I find that I really got a huge bargain out of this, I will gladly (and unasked for) send the seller additional funds, because he's a nice guy. If it turns out to be worse than what I thought? Tough luck for me.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 05-12-2021 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:47 PM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I love this place and the BST, If you post a card I want without an ask I'll just PM you and start a conversation. Same on the other side, I'll always post a price but would expect someone interested to PM me and talk about a deal. I know what I want to pay within reason, I also know where my line is that I would rather put it back in my collection. I've also done deals that had nothing to do with the original for sale item just from talking about collecting needs & wants. Its also nice to keep an eye out for cards that you know other members are looking for that you might come across in the outside world.

It's all good stuff and a lot of fun. Especially when you make new friendships & connections in this hobby.

And to quote a seller that is no longer here just so he is never forgotten.

"Thanks for the many inquires, still available..."
I couldn’t agree with this more. Always willing to listen talk cards and possibly trade or negotiate.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:03 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
True for me because I don't ask about things that aren't for sale and priced as such. Reminds me of the people who come to my garage sales and try to buy everything that's not out for sale. If I wanted to sell it it would be out for sale and priced.

Last edited by Wimberleycardcollector; 05-12-2021 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:10 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimberleycardcollector View Post
True for me because I don't ask about things that aren't for sale and priced as such. Reminds me of the people who come to my garage sales and try to buy everything that's not out for sale. If I wanted to sell it it would be out for sale and priced.
However, if they offered you $300 for your "not for sale" rake, I suspect you'd sell it.