NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-26-2013, 09:51 AM
bubblebathgirl

Default New to Net54

Hi All!

I've been an active member on CU for several years now. As they've instituted an official set of stricter rules there (which I like) I found the idea of how this board operates to be a good contrast worth participating in.

Leon, it was a pleasure chatting with you on the phone

As my signature indicates, I collect only 1978 & 1979 Topps Baseball. I currently have the #1 ranked PSA Registry 1979 set (basic & master) with a weighted GPA of 9.65 - it's also the first and only one at 100% (though some are now close to completion themselves).

I actively rip unopened material and submit cards to PSA. 206 cards of my 1979 set are self subs, with 105 self sub PSA 10s being included in that lot

I've already read some very interesting stuff on these boards and look forward to the openness and honesty that lives here.

Last edited by bubblebathgirl; 01-26-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Welcome Paul. Opposing views are welcomed and solicited. I know we disagree on a few things but we probably agree on a lot more. Happy collecting and I will be looking for you to join in the reindeer games when you feel like it. And lastly, it was nice chatting with you on the phone yesterday too. Happy collecting!!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Mike

Welcome to the fray......
Old 01-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

welcome! interesting screen name
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:01 AM
$cotty @.utin

Great new surge of members from the CU boards. Leon- what is the percentage increase of new members within the last month, if any?

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 01-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smotan_02 View Post
Great new surge of members from the CU boards. Leon- what is the percentage increase of new members within the last month, if any?
We started to count memberships with our new software conversion in April-May of 2009. Since then we have registered over 50 new members every month. The steam has actually picked up in the last 6 mos and we are now averaging over 100 new members registering. We have had exactly 100 new members register so far this month. We average 3-4 per day right now. I don't know an exact percentage increase but I would safely say we are up 30% in memberships per month, year over year.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:47 AM
J@son Du.nc@n

Welcome! vintage investments here on CU.

Jason
Old 01-26-2013, 11:50 AM
$cotty @.utin

That is great to hear!

Old 01-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Larry Harris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
Welcome to the fray......
LOL@Mike,
Welcome,Welcome,Welcome!!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:47 PM
qu@n nguy3n

oh no not this guy, not able to block on CU but you're going on my block here.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Arthur R!ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
How does one do this? I'd like to block him too.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Barry Sloate

There seems to be a large number of CU guys coming over here lately. Are they being persecuted over there? Are they jumping ship for political asylum?
Old 01-26-2013, 01:47 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasselhoffsCheeseburger View Post
How does one do this? I'd like to block him too.
go into your user CP, then on the left side Settings & Options, then edit ignore list.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:53 PM

I'm sensing an impending train wreck here ...
Old 01-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Arthur R!ch

Quote:
go into your user CP, then on the left side Settings & Options, then edit ignore list.
Thanks
Old 01-26-2013, 02:45 PM

Welcome, Paul. I can appreciate your passion for the sets you collect. Those were the years I started out buying cards in packs as a kid, and the set prior to your two years (1977) is my fave of the 70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
There seems to be a large number of CU guys coming over here lately. Are they being persecuted over there? Are they jumping ship for political asylum?
I think you are seeing this influx of new members from CU for a few reasons. The CU forums, as you may know, are heavily moderated and censored (and in many cases, for good reason as it is PSA's board). These two threads will shed more light regarding recent happenings...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=162027

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=161482

Lastly, I think you're also seeing more member introductions since Leon changed the title of this forum to include "new member introductions". Before, people might've joined and then just posted in a thread. Now, they see a forum where they're given the opportunity to introduce themselves, therefore you'll see more "Hi, my name is..." threads.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Welcome, Paul. I can appreciate your passion for the sets you collect. Those were the years I started out buying cards in packs as a kid, and the set prior to your two years (1977) is my fave of the 70s.

I think you are seeing this influx of new members from CU for a few reasons. The CU forums, as you may know, are heavily moderated and censored (and in many cases, for good reason as it is PSA's board). These two threads will shed more light regarding recent happenings...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=162027

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=161482

Lastly, I think you're also seeing more member introductions since Leon changed the title of this forum to include "new member introductions". Before, people might've joined and then just posted in a thread. Now, they see a forum where they're given the opportunity to introduce themselves, therefore you'll see more "Hi, my name is..." threads.
Chuck
No doubt what you just said is right on.
Pauls thread a year and a half ago on the cu helped me confirm the pattern
of 1978 cellos!! so WELCOME PAUL enjoy the forum cheers.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:26 PM
$cotty @.utin

I would recommend to all the new members to sit back and observe for awhile. This forum has a different life than the one you left and you might best observe the professional nature for awhile first.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:51 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Two weeks ago a number of CU members, myself included, received warnings from the moderator against saying anything that would be construed as being against BBG in any way. Now I have been on the CU boards since 2004 and NEVER received a warning or a time out for any reason but it appears that since I and others had a disagreement with Paul over an issue, he complained to the Mods and warnings were issued and short vacations from the boards were given. I only received my first and only warning from this incident and honestly, it really ticked me off because now anyone that has a beef with BBG needs to just keep it to themselves for fear of losing their posting privileges. I can tell you my post was not attacking but a simple disagreement over ideas and yet I got reported.

I try to never bring issues from CU to these boards but I just wanted to let the Net54 boards know what kind of poster were are potentially dealing with here. Leon, I know you run things much different than CU and for that I am grateful. I hope Paul does as others have mentioned, as a new poster...sit tight, read and learn before trying to be a big player on these boards. Contribute when you can but dont try to me anything more than you are.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:23 PM
N.ate A.dams

Drammmma!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by smotan_02 View Post
I would recommend to all the new members to sit back and observe for awhile. This forum has a different life than the one you left and you might best observe the professional nature for awhile first.
This forum has been pretty easy to moderate...mostly because Leon takes care of a lot of stuff behind the scenes...I sure hope it stays relatively calm here. A little drama is fine, but we don't need an all out war.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Tom S@lem

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
Two weeks ago a number of CU members, myself included, received warnings from the moderator against saying anything that would be construed as being against BBG in any way. Now I have been on the CU boards since 2004 and NEVER received a warning or a time out for any reason but it appears that since I and others had a disagreement with Paul over an issue, he complained to the Mods and warnings were issued and short vacations from the boards were given. I only received my first and only warning from this incident and honestly, it really ticked me off because now anyone that has a beef with BBG needs to just keep it to themselves for fear of losing their posting privileges. I can tell you my post was not attacking but a simple disagreement over ideas and yet I got reported.

I try to never bring issues from CU to these boards but I just wanted to let the Net54 boards know what kind of poster were are potentially dealing with here. Leon, I know you run things much different than CU and for that I am grateful. I hope Paul does as others have mentioned, as a new poster...sit tight, read and learn before trying to be a big player on these boards. Contribute when you can but dont try to me anything more than you are.
Ever wonder if BBG is a Mod at CU?
www.OPeeCheeInternational.com
Old 01-26-2013, 08:45 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsalem View Post
Ever wonder if BBG is a Mod at CU?
I have wondered that but I guess we have no way of knowing. Up until a few weeks ago I never had a need to communicate with a Mod over there. LOL
Old 01-26-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblebathgirl View Post

Leon, it was a pleasure chatting with you on the phone
That is good to hear after your warning to the CU board to be wary of the nefarious character A lesser man would not have let you even join these boards!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:51 PM

My ancestors were Huguenots expelled from France in the 1700s, so perhaps I know how the CU members feel.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post

I can't "verify" the reason I was kicked off CU but I have a pretty good idea... Needless to say I was HATED by 2 or 3 people, and seemed to have no problems with others.

I know Leon will not put up with any of the BS that was able to happen on the CU boards and I am comforted by the fact that proper clean-up will happen if the need occurs. I hope it doesn't.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
I can't "verify" the reason I was kicked off CU but I have a pretty good idea... Needless to say I was HATED by 2 or 3 people, and seemed to have no problems with others.

I know Leon will not put up with any of the BS that was able to happen on the CU boards and I am comforted by the fact that proper clean-up will happen if the need occurs. I hope it doesn't.
Thanks for the kind words Sean et al... I am confident BBG (Paul) will do fine at our forum. We are different than most others, or especially the CU one. I think the main difference is that no one here will be hiding behind a user id/keyboard in arguments or with quick witted jabs. Say what you want but be man (or woman ) enough to put your name by it. I think most on this forum know how it is run and the parameters and rules we have. I don't see that changing. Happy collecting.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Thanks for the kind words Sean et al... I am confident BBG (Paul) will do fine at our forum. We are different than most others, or especially the CU one. I think the main difference is that no one here will be hiding behind a user id/keyboard in arguments or with quick witted jabs. Say what you want but be man (or woman ) enough to put your name by it. I think most on this forum know how it is run and the parameters and rules we have. I don't see that changing. Happy collecting.
Like I said, I really hope we have no problems, the hike in users is nothing but GOOD regardless of where they come from or who they are. I'm one of those guys that goes by "forgive and forget".
Old 01-27-2013, 09:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
Like I said, I really hope we have no problems, the hike in users is nothing but GOOD regardless of where they come from or who they are. I'm one of those guys that goes by "forgive and forget".
I almost always forgive.....as for forgetting, that just comes naturally. Our board doesn't forget anything though .
Old 01-27-2013, 11:15 AM

I post on the CU board once in a wile (as do others from Net54), but I don't say anything divisive about PSA products so can't imagine I'd get in trouble. I don't collect graded cards, so don't have anything divisive to say.

Last edited by drc; 01-27-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:18 PM

I am unaware of the issues that are being spoken of here. No interaction at all with CU.

Being involved only in this forum for vintage collectibles, I certainly hope it remains as has been.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Rob G.

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeadcock View Post
I am unaware of the issues that are being spoken of here. No interaction at all with CU.

Being involved only in this forum for vintage collectibles, I certainly hope it remains as has been.