NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Ty Cobb selling for good money....

Nice question and answer too....Personally I think the questioner probably got it right .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extremely-Ra...item3ce65cf61f

Old 08-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Scott Ti3k

But the card is numbered & graded!!
Old 08-17-2014, 12:31 PM
Sean Costello

Who the f.... is this grading service? PSVA ?
Old 08-17-2014, 12:32 PM
Barry Sloate

Plus he scoured the internet. Nothing wrong with this one.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:42 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Who the f.... is this grading service? PSVA ?
Professional Sports Very Authenticator, I think?
Old 08-17-2014, 12:49 PM
Scott Ti3k

So all I need to do is buy a large amount of screw down holders & some Avery labels from the office supply store and I can start my own grading card company!

Does anyone want to join me on this lucrative business venture?
Old 08-17-2014, 01:05 PM

Possibly
Professional Sports Vintage Authenticators

Last edited by Matvoo; 08-17-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:13 PM

Lol so as people know I am a young collector so I decide to send him this message to see if he even has a heart.

"Very nice ty cobb card as a young collector I would love this card but never heard the grading company. Hopefully the grading company is real so I dont waste my hard earn money."
Old 08-17-2014, 01:28 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Nice question and answer too....Personally I think the questioner probably got it right .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extremely-Ra...item3ce65cf61f

I was the questioner. I am surprised he allowed it to appear on his bidpage. This is what I replied:

Dear aglazier,
Not my opinion. It is a fact. Your card is a page cut from a Spalding's Official Baseball Guide. The number you refer to is the page number in the book, not a card number in a set. There are a couple of guys on eBay who for many years have made a cottage industry of breaking up old books, slabbing and grading the pages themselves, and passing them off to naive buyers as valuable collectibles. I have been collecting vintage baseball cards for fifteen years. Let me assure you that PSVA is not a bona fide grading company. "A great investment on a real piece of baseball heritage sure to go up in value over time" is just fluffy BS. These items are held in contempt by serious sports card collectors. Maybe you already know this, maybe you don't. EBay doesn't hold a seller to an honest standard so here's hoping you act in good conscience.

That he didn't post. In fact he received a second bid, or shill, or whatever. I am half-waiting for him to reply that he will report me to eBay for interfering in his auction or some such crock. Fact is he can do whatever the hell he pleases with this Ty Cobb "card". Some sucker will get ripped off, the hobby will be incrementally diminished and eBay won't care a bit.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:45 PM
Ken McMillan

Not my cup of tea but I have collected a few pages from Spalding guides as they featured my great great uncle Elmer Miller. Think I may have paid a max of $5.00. Nowhere near what this auction is going for and I was collecting just for family archives. They were advertised as pages from Spalding guides when I bought mine.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:37 PM
Dave

Professional Sports Vaguely Authentic ?
Old 08-17-2014, 06:49 PM
Dustin Bellinger

About 10 years ago I was the dumb schmuck wasting $15 on a Grover Alexander Spalding page. That didnt understand that VSA and FGS werent at least roughly equivelent to PSA and BGS. Live and learn but a handful of purchases left me feeling rather jaded and cynical about the hobby. About then I decided maybe to stay out of collecting and for several years I didnt buy anymore. I am back collecting again and hopefully at least slightly less naive than I was then. I am glad to see honest collectors trying to save guys like me from making too costly of mistakes.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:28 PM

I would hope that he tightens down the screws in that holder before shipping! I want my mint professionally graded cards to stay that way.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:33 PM
David M.

But wasn't there a thread where PSA now grades these magazine cuts? If so, maybe you could buy it and cross it to a PSA holder
Old 08-17-2014, 07:36 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

pretty sure were very amateur...?
Old 08-17-2014, 07:50 PM
Belltown Vintage

It is amazing to me that the seller was ignorant enough to post the question and his answer.

I had several people bring things by my booth this year at the National. One was a graded Spalding (or Reach - I forget) cut-out page. The guy handed it to me and asked me what it was worth. I immediately responded that it wasn't worth anything. Then I caught myself and told him I was sorry to have to tell him that, but cut-outs aren't worth even a penny. If he liked it, he should keep it. But I guess I'm wrong - anything you have that is worth nothing to a knowledgeable collector, is worth whatever you can sucker some fool into paying you for it. But you should be slapped for the attempt.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:50 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
It is amazing to me that the seller was ignorant enough to post the question and his answer.
I have never sold anything on eBay. I assume that the seller can choose to post a question/answer and that it is not automatic. So I was surprised that my comment showed up. Following is his reply to my comment which I posted above.

This area is for "questions", not for debate from a totally uninvolved person. You are not the eBay police. Not being a serious sports card collector I did not know about this and while I appreciate hearing peoples opinions, it is a beautiful, historic piece from 1915 and your comment is live for the buyer to read should he/she choose to. My 100% rating is no joke, and if anyone is displeased with the product they can return for full refund.

- aglazier

I am done with this guy. Will not be "debating" him any further. He really believes his own bullshit.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:08 PM
Scott Ti3k

Not that it does any good most of the time, but has anyone else reported the listing?

I know for a fact the seller has been made aware that the item is not what he represents it to be and that request made to edit the listing to depict the item in a more accurate manner have been ignored.

Maybe if enough of us report it the listing gets pulled.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:44 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

V = Victims. As in whomever buys this has certainly been victimized.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:52 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by roce4e52 View Post
I would hope that he tightens down the screws in that holder before shipping! I want my mint professionally graded cards to stay that way.
Whoever does that "grading" uses pop rivets. Should be tight enough. I'm surprised they work without cracking the screwdown.

Steve B
Old 08-18-2014, 07:14 AM
Rich Klein

Default Food for thought

Is the item from the pre-war era? Yes

Is it counterfeit? NO

While no real value, this is still an inexpensive way to get an item of a major superstar from before 1920.

Look, I'm not a big fan of grading these these and calling them cards but in some ways, isn't this the same as cutting old ads out of life magazine because they feature famous people.

The item is protected and looks nice for a person. While none of us would buy this --- isn't this actually in some ways a good thing to introduce people into this era and then we can hopefully move some of them to real material

What would YOU Rather have if you are not really a major collector -- a beat up T206 common of Larry Doyle or a period page with a photo of 1st ballot HOFer Tyrus Raymond Cobb. I'd bet more people would take the Cobb then the Doyle.

Rich
Old 08-18-2014, 07:39 AM
Steve Birmingham

That is a good point. And it's the sort of thing I'd have bought when I was starting out (Of course back then I could get a real T206 HOFer for around $10 but was silly enough not to buy them. )

If it was just a page being sold as a page, hopefully with signs like loads of edge wear that indicated a trashed copy of the guide I think more of us would be ok with it.
At least then it could be matted and framed, which would make a nice little display piece.

But sold as a "card" in a bogus slab and trimmed tight to the borders? That's just a bit too scammy.

And $43 will buy a nice big reproduction of a more iconic pose - In fact, it will buy a few of them
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ty-Cobb-5-Ph...item1e7b65d1f6

Steve B
Old 08-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Is the item from the pre-war era? Yes

Is it counterfeit? NO

While no real value, this is still an inexpensive way to get an item of a major superstar from before 1920.

Look, I'm not a big fan of grading these these and calling them cards but in some ways, isn't this the same as cutting old ads out of life magazine because they feature famous people.

The item is protected and looks nice for a person. While none of us would buy this --- isn't this actually in some ways a good thing to introduce people into this era and then we can hopefully move some of them to real material

What would YOU Rather have if you are not really a major collector -- a beat up T206 common of Larry Doyle or a period page with a photo of 1st ballot HOFer Tyrus Raymond Cobb. I'd bet more people would take the Cobb then the Doyle.

Rich
I have bought paper cut outs and have no issue with them. The issue I have is with the lack of transparency and deceit.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:29 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The issue I have is with the lack of transparency and deceit.
+1 in a nutshell