NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Default OT: What is the best baseball game you ever attended?

Posted By: Richard Simon

Mine is the famous (at least for Mets fans) Robin Ventura grand slam single in NLCS game 5 in 1999. Braves won first 3, Mets win game 4. Then game 5
went 14 inns. Braves score 1 in top of 14th and Dunston leads off for Mets with a 14(?) pitch at bat that results in a lead off single. Mets tie it, bases loaded, and Ventura hits one over the fence, but a base running snafu with Ventura passing an on base runner results in it being called a single and Mets win only to have the infamous Kenny Rogers walk home the winning run in game 6.
=

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 12-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rawn Hill

Bringing my son to his first game.........Clay Buchholz no hitter.

Rawn

Old 12-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: josh

I had a chance to attend every single game of the 1982 World Series. I am a huge Cardinal fan and every game meant the World to me!

Old 12-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Goff

The earliest game I can remember was in '86 I think, Braves vs Mets in Atlanta. 4th of July game. Had several rain delays and also went into extra innings. I can't remember who won, but around 4am they shot off the fireworks. It was all over the news the next morning in Atlanta. So many complaints..too funny.

The most boring game I ever attended, was in '93. ESPN Sunday night game Reds vs Braves. Maddox vs Rijo. 1st batter of the game, Deion Sanders hit a triple, then scored the very next play. That was it..1-0. At lease the Braves won!!

Old 12-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jdrum

Tom Glavine eight one-hit shoutout innings, Dave Justice a solo homer but it was enough! Sorry, Jim Poole!
[linked image]

Old 12-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

First and foremost is the day in 1980 Carlton, Boone, McGraw and Schmidt all signed a ball for me and my grandmother.
After that there are several that were very cool...

1981 All-Star Game, NLCS and World Series
Orel's final game in 1988 when he broke the record. I missed the world series that year due to financial considerations...damn.
Gagne when he broke the record.
Tatis hitting two grand slams in an inning...might never be duplicated.
R. Martinez no hitter.
game where dodgers hit four homeruns in ninth to tie and nomar hits one as a walkoff in tenth.
This year's NLDS game 4!

Joshua

Old 12-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Administrator

you refer to the famous Rick Camp HR game. I watched it all, it was ludacris!

Old 12-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Administrator

That's a nice piece Jeff...

Old 12-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

My brother asked me this recently and I really coudln't decide because there hasn't been any monumental games that I've been to.My six favorites in no particular order that I came up with were:

The 2006 all-star game,the only all-star game I've been to and it was in my teams home ballpark,the best park in baseball I might add.

I was at the game where Barry Bonds hit his 713th home run over my head and I was sitting in the 2nd level,I swear that ball would've traveled another 150 feet if it didnt hit that McDonalds advertising sign. The drama in his next AB knowing he could tie Ruth was amazing,the whole place was on their feet and it cleared out when he didnt hit a HR.

I was at a Pirates/White Sox game last year that went back and forth till the 9th inning,Jim Thome came in to pinch hit as the go ahead run with one out and 2 guys on and he flied out to the LF corner getting robbed of a HR by Jason Bay,Pirates won 8-7.

This year when the hated Yankees visited Pittsburgh for the first time since the 7th game of the 1960 world series,Mazeroski threw out the first ball and Pirates clobbered them with a sellout crowd on hand cheering like it was a playoff game.

My first game in 1982,old timers day at Yankee stadium when all the greats still were around. I have a picture of the lineup on the foul line,just the backs of the jerseys of Mantle,Ford,DiMaggio,Berra,Maris and Rizzuto as they waved to the crowd

Finally as a 12 year old,I went to old Comiskey Park with my dad and saw my idol Carlton Fisk hit a home run to lead off the 4th inning. I can still see the ball going out to LF like it happened yesterday

Old 12-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Administrator

YES!! Oh the Rick Camp days...right up there with Rick Mahler, Ed Olwine, and Rafael Ramirez. Those were the good old days...

Old 12-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Dorskind

We have attend 465 Major League games- our top memories are:

1. Reggie Jackson 3 HR World Series Game against the Dodgers
2. Sandy Koufax World Series Strikeout Record against the Yankees-1963
3. Mookie Wilson- Bill Buchner- Game 6 1986 World Series
4. Joe Carter "walk off home run" to win World Series
5. Dave Riggetti July 4 no- hitter against Red Sox
6. Chris Chamblis Home Run to win pennant for Yankees against Kansas City Royals
7. Mickey Mantle Walk off home against Barney Shultz 1964 World Series
8. Don Larsen shuts out Braves 1958 World Series- our first game
9. Mickey Mantle day at Yankee Stadium- where we spent time with the Mick
10. All Star Game at Fenway with tribute to Ted Williams

Old 12-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob C

1988 World Series Game 1

Old 12-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Abbott's no hitter against the Indians.

======================================
For the premier online souce of information on baseball-related cigarette packs, visit http://www.baseballandtobacco.com

Old 12-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Sixth game of the 1986 World Series. I was invited at the last minute, and started to leave with two outs in the bottom of the tenth. Fortunately, I decided to stay until the end.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Sept 1951 at Ebbets Field....SRO crowd of 38,000+.....Giants vs Dodgers.....I was 12 years old then.

Top of the 9th Dodgers up 1-0....Giants have base runners on 2nd and 3rd. Batter hits a single to RF.
Both runners try to score, Furillo rifles a perfect throw to Campy as 2nd runner slides into homeplate.
Ump signals OUT....then waves his arms SAFE. It was BEDLAM in Brooklyn as the fans went crazy.

When the dust settles, the Giants were ahead 2-1....and, went on to win.

In retrospect, this game turned out to be a microcosm of the 1951 National League season, in which
the Dodgers were leading the League by 13 games in August and finally lost it when Bobby Thomson
hit his famous "The Shot Heard 'Round The World!" in the final playoff game......a 3-run homer in the
bottom of the 9th off Dodgers pitcher Ralph Branca that won the pennant.

TED Z

Old 12-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian T.

Mine was actually this year. I took my mother to Game 2 of the World Series and saw Tampa Bay win their one and only World Series game. The Rays' runs were all manufactured runs (the way baseball was meant to be played), the atmosphere was electric, and my mother said that it was a memory to last a lifetime. Those tickets were worth every penny.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

Easy choice for me.
August 1, 1987 (I think that was the date!).
My first baseball game at Comiskey with my dad. I was 9. Don't remember much, just how green the field and seats were, and how my dad bought me a hotdog. Loved it!

So began a tortued love affair with a game that rarely loves you back.

Go Go White Sox

2005 World Series Champions!

Old 12-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

I can't remember the year (either 1975 or 1976) at Wrigley Field. The Reuschel brothers combined for a shutout. I've seen a lot of games but that probably had a little more historical significance than most.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

2005 All Star Game

Old 12-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: doug goodman

I have been to 445 games in 46 major league, 7 minor league, 5 spring training and 2 Japanese parks. Throw in the Little League world series as a bonus and I've seen some pretty great games :

Hank Aaron hits #751 in Oakland. June 19, 1976. I got his autograph before the game

Fernando's 1st career win on Sept 30, 1980, against the Giants in Candlestick. I got his autograph before the game.

Game 3 of the 1986 WS would have to rank because it my first game at Fenway.

My first visit to Vero Beach in 1991

Rick Reed throwing 6.2 perfect innings at Shea. June 28, 1998

McGwire #'s 60, 61 & 62 in 1998

David Manning throwing a AA ball no hitter in 1999. I called a friend to tell him about it and found out that he had been at the David Cone perfect game, a couple days before.

Steve Finley wins the division for the Dodgers with a grand slam. October 2, 2004

Greg Maddux beats the Dodgers in under 2 hours. April 17, 2006.

Dodgers send 15 men to the plate in the 6th. May 19, 2006

Mark Ellis hits for the cycle in Oakland. June 4, 2007

The Padres / Rockies playoff game last year was fun.

But, I will never see a game as exciting as the Sept 18, 2006 Dodgers 4 HR ninth (3 on consecutive pitches) which ended with a Nomar HR in the 10th. The Dodgers hit 5 HRs in 8 at bats, and then Rafael Furcal hit the first pitch he saw over the wall to lead off the 1st inning the next day.

Only 2 months to go...
Doug

Old 12-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Administrator

I have a couple of Wrigley Field memories but I can't place the dates or locate my ticket stubs. The first was a night game against the the Reds when Rob Dibble fielded a bunt and drilled Doug Dacenzo between the shoulder blades on his way to first and bedlam ensued. Same night Andre Dawson I believe was either called out on strikes or kicked out of the game and he went back to the dugout and emptied the bat rack onto the field.

On another trip to Wrigley the Cubs were playing the Giants on Randy Myers Poster Day. Well Randy came in and blew a save and posters rained from the stands, the bleachers and all corners. The game was called while the ground crew scurried around the field with garbage cans collecting all of the posters. During this time Randy simply sat on the mound and waited for the game to resume.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark L

Answering as a Pirate fan:

in terms of great baseball: I remember lots of great Pirate wins but there was an especially great game in 1975, I think, when the Cardinals beat my Pirates 2-1 in 13 innings. Bob Gibson went 9 and Al Hrabosky finished for the Cards, while Jerry Reuss pitched all 13 innings for the Bucs. We lost, but I recall that the pitching and the play on the field was exceptionally quick and exciting for the whole game. When it was over, it was so good that I almost didn't mind that we lost.

in terms of personal memories: There was a game around 1969 when I chatted up Vera Clemente and Mrs. Manny Mota at a hot dog stand around the 5th inning and through this got to spend about ten minutes after the game talking baseball and life with my hero, Roberto Clemente, as we leaned against his El Dorado.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CN

The most memorable for me was game 3 of the 2000 World Series since I was able to take my father. The best game was either a tossup between game 3 of the NL Playoffs in 1986 Lenny Dykstra,s home run and game 6 of the 1986 WS. What I remember about the Robin Ventura game was that it was a warm day in NYC and the game started at around 3pm so I dressed in a t-shirt. Around the 9th inning it started raining lightly and by the 15th inning everyone was soaked. It was a great game but the Mets lost the series(Kenny Rogers). CN

Old 12-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

I know I am one of the youngsters on the board, and my best game ever actually occurred this year. Below is a short story I typed up for a questionnaire for a job I am applying to.

Question:
What is the one best moment youve had so far this year?

Response:
The night of September 13th, I was sitting around my buddys apartment having dinner and a few drinks. Later that evening, an announcement was made that the Cubs would be making up a game against the Astros up in Milwaukee. We decided to splurge on tickets and to head up north the next day. I had never been to the Brewers stadium before and was especially excited since I am a huge admirer of all professional baseball stadiums. In fact, I hope to one day own my own field, even just to have batting practice on whenever I want.

Twenty-three thousand tickets to the Cubs/Astros game that night were sold in less than 24 hours, and the atmosphere inside the indoor facility was absolute insanity. From the start, the game had a certain feel about it; something special was going to happen. Carlos Zambrano was pitching a no-hitter, and he realistically had a chance to do it. After pitching through the heart of the Astros lineup in the 7th, reality set in. It could happen. No longer did anyone want to see Ramirez or Soriano come up and hit, we wanted Zambrano back on the mound.

Im surprised I didnt go home with my fingernails stinging from biting them so much, the suspense of the 8th and 9th innings were unreal. Even now, thinking back to that night and seeing Carlos throw the last strike to complete the no-hitter, I still get goosebumps. Twenty-three thousand fans screamed louder than I have ever heard at a professional sports game, most screaming with tears in their eyes, myself included.

Seeing Carlos Zambrano throw the first Cubs no-hitter in thirty-six years was easily my best moment of 2008.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Doug,

I was watching that Padres/Dodgers game on TV. I figured it was a wrap and the Padres had it won... I about crapped my pants after the 3rd homerun, the fourth HR pretty much sealed (unsealed) it... the funny part was that a lot of the fans left before the bottom half of that inning (and missed the fireworks).

Old 12-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Although there were many, mine would probably be Bronson Arroyo's Perfect Game at McCoy Stadium in 2003. Spent with family including my brother in law, Joe, who I just lost to Cancer this year. I now he's with me every time I visit Fenway or the spot at McCoy where we would always hang out during the 7th inning for a cold beer and bite to eat.

Another great reason to love baseball.

Greg

Old 12-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Erick Lewin

DAVID WELLS PERFECT GAME! 1998....amazing.

Honorable mention to april 6th or 7th?, 2007 yanks vs. Orioles. Alex Rodriguez walk off grand slam!

E. Lewin

Old 12-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

Nolan Ryan's seventh no-hitter on May 1, 1991. I was in the first row, field level, next to the Rangers' bullpen.

Steve

Old 12-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

Andy Hawkins of the Yankees no-hitting the White Sox at Comiskey Park in 1990, but losing 4-0

Hawkins walked a few batters and then Jim Leyritz and Jesse Barfield butchering a couple fly balls let in the runs for the Sox. The no-hitter has since been changed in the record book and is no longer an official no hitter, but it counts in my book.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TDownham

I am a frequent lurker to the site and I have never responded to any post until this one.
I have gained a lot of knowledge from everyone who posts on this site.
Not only do I collect baseball cards but I also enjoy collecting Detroit Tigers memorabilia.
I must say Leon and everyone who helps maintain this site, it is a joy to read everyday.

Now onto the post.

I must say my favorite baseball games have been all at Comerica Park.
I have traveled to other ballparks but none compare to the special moments that happen in your hometown park.
I have been a season ticket holder since 2003, their worst season ever.
As a teacher, I enjoy sharing my stories with my students about the enjoyment of being at a baseball game.

My top games so far have been:

1. Magglio Ordonez Walk-off HR to send the Tigers to the 2006 World Series.
You can actually watch the homerun at the link here:
imglink:www.cvs.k12.mi.us/tdownham/Videos/mvi_1088.avi
I recorded this on my Cannon camera from my bleacher seats in right field.
I show this to my students every year to introduce why I love the game of baseball.

2. Justin Verlander's No Hitter on June 12, 2007. No camera that day, who would've know!

3. Every game against the New York Yankees in the 2006 ALDS. I could finally explain to my students what baseball is like in Detroit. The energy at the ballpark each game was amazing.

4. The first 2 World Series games held in Comerica Park. I know they only won 1 game but it was still a time I will never forget. Hopefully, they will make it back in the near future.

5. I agree with Joe, the 2005 All Star Game was an event. Went to every game/event held at the park during the week. Watching Abreu crush those HRs in the Homerun Derby was amazing.

Hope you enjoyed reading these and hope the video link works on my website.
I know some of you will laugh when you here me screaming like a woman on that HR by Magglio, my students get a kick out of it every year.

I will post some thing in the future, probably more on the memorabilia side.
Everyone enjoy the holidays,
Tom

Old 12-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Eventhough it doesnt rank up there with my favorite games I went to a minor league doubleheader that I will never forget because both games ended 2-1 with each team winning a game when the tying run got thrown out at home plate. How often do you see a game end with the tying runner getting thrown out at home? and then just imagine it happening twice,once you celebrate because the home team won,2 hours later you cant believe your team just lost that way!

Also the only triple play I've seen in person happened at a minor league game with a funny story attached. It was a cold night game with a sparse crowd and some drunks in the upper level. Two guys on for the opposing team and as the batter walks to home plate the guy right above me says "Hey #15,youre going to hit into a triple play" loud enough that everybody in the quiet place heard him and a lot of people laughed. First pitch,line drive one hopper to the 2nd baseman,steps on 2nd,throws to first for the 2nd out,the runner from 2nd hesitated not knowing if the ball was caught,then took off for 3rd and was out by 20 feet. The place went nuts! The guy in the 2nd level yelled at him, "I told you! I told you didnt I!"

Old 12-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Last game at Tiger Stadium. I had tickets for the last 2 months of the season - every game - and went to all the weekend games. Seats were Row 3 of the upper deck in right field, which means they were ON the right field overhang.

It was an event all around, but of course everyone wanted to know who would hit the last home run. It looked like it would be Karim Garcia, who barely cleared the fence in right-center.

Then Rob Fick came up bases loaded bottom of the eigth. He hit one on a shot right towards us - not a tidge of hook or slice but dead straight on - and I almost had a heart attack. happy.gif But it quickly became obvious it was long and would land behind us.

So I watched it go absolutely dead straight to right up exactly over the top of where I was sitting and it ... disappeared. Gone. Over the right field roof!

There was an impossibly short and palpable moment of frozen time and possibly silence, and then all hell broke loose.

I won't ever forget what that ball looked like coming off his left-handed bat and right at us like it was shot out of a gun. Or what it looked like to vanish into thin air about 20 feet above my head.

It makes me smile to even type it.

[linked image]

Old 12-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Stephen Mitchell

The memory gets a little foggy. After all, it has been now 45 summers ago. It was a season in which my team, the Boston Red Sox, would go nowhere. (Untrue! Actually, they would plummet in the standings.)

Just checked with old reliable (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS196306240.shtml) so my facts should be right.

Game Number 65 - June 24, 1963 (Cleveland at Boston), a Monday evening game. One of my favorites, Bill Monbouquette, was thought (by me) to be the scheduled starter. Instead, we got recent call-up Bob Heffner making just his second major league start. Veteran righty Gary Bell started for the Indians.

It was a back-and-forth game with Boston never permitting the invaders to gain an edge but the game was tied twice as the Red Sox entered the bottom of the 9th: the game knotted, 5-5. With two outs and Roman Mejias on first, outfielder Gary Geiger homered to center field sending the faithful home very, very happy.

In retrospect, it is strange that while I recalled some of the details of the game (Geiger's homer to center, Mejias on first and no Monbo), I did not recall Lou Clinton or Chuck Shilling (another favorite of mine whose model of glove I still possess) homering. The most outstanding incidents (aside from GG's dramatic walk-off (an unknown term at the time) were a couple of crowd-clearing bat-throwing incidents by Cleveland's Woodie Held.

The final results for the 1963 Red Sox were not up to their late June promise. After that epic game, the Sox stood 36-29 good for third in the league, just 4 games out of first. In the end, they limped home 76-85 (7th), a full 28 games back.

Nonetheless, my first game was an exciting one and the best I've ever attended!

Old 12-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan P.

I wonder what Ted Z was doing on 8/4/85. I know--he was sitting next to me at Yankee Stadium when Tom Seaver won his 300th game. Ted may tell you the highlight of the day was the pre game event was the retiring of Rizzuto's number 10 but pay him no mind.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

August 23, 1969 Cubs vs Astros.......Banks and Santo hitting back to back home runs. Holtzman pitching. Hooked me for life on the Cubs. Second best was Angels/Giants game 2 of 2002 world series.

Kmac

Old 12-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Bruce--one seat or two, or was it a triumvirate of Bruci? (I couldn't resist. Yeah, the joke's old, but it's been a while happy.gif )

I have not attended all that many MLB games, but did witness the historic Joe Carter home run in the '93 WS from about 10 rows up (on the 1B line near the OF).

The most memorable game for me was the 1989 HOF game. The Reds were a no-show, so I had the ultimate BoSox fan's pleasure of seeing Boston play the PawSox. Very cool, and all of the players were in great spirits. There was much playful banter between the players and their fans. Kevin Romine decided to play catch with people in the stands, and it was really nice to meet Jody Reed and Rick Cerone.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Administrator

My wife just informed me that her best game she ever went to was in 1978 when she saw Bill Buckner's arse. She also used to admire Ryne Sandberg at his games, Glad I'm happily married. happy.gif

Old 12-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Also liked the spring training game when I was wearing full Cub uniform at Hohokam and was asked for my autograph by 2 obnoxious youngsters. they were so impolite that I gladly signed their baseballs right next to Kerry Wood's name. They probably are still looking on the Cubs roster for Ken McMillan #32 to this day. Also had my pic taken in a group of about 50 women present for one of the lady's 50th b-day. They however knew I wasn't really a player. happy.gif

Old 12-12-2008, 03:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

Not the BEST game but the most memorable one...

back in '95 (after the strike) spring training game at the old ball park in Arlington (Texas) Rangers vs Astros. Fans were still peeved about the strike so very few showed.. My wife to be and I sat right along the first base line and she picked out this kid on the Rangers named Benji Gill (I think). She was admiring him and i just scoffed.. he proceeded to hit 2 HRs and one double off the wall.. geez. I never heard the end of it.

marty

Old 12-12-2008, 06:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al

Two games come to mind, both in Fenway Park and both Red Sox vs Yankees.

Mid '50s I'm at a game with my dad. We always seemed to get seats to the left of the Red Sox bullpen in that little triangular area under the 420' sign. I was standing at the seat closest to the field, kinda hanging onto the railing. Jackie Jensen hit a deep fly ball and Mickey Mantle scrambled to get it, the ball drops a foot or so from the wall and there was Mantle, maybe 10 feet away from me. I can still see that #7 on the back of his jersey. Quite a thrill for a young kid at the time. He never looked up at my hollering, but I kinda wish he had.

Mid '70s I'm at Fenway with 5 friends. We're sitting almost directly abeam the infamous Pesky Pole about 20 rows up in right field. In front of us are a group of guys, maybe 5 or so. The game goes on and Hensley Mullins of the Yankees hits a ball that lands at the feet of the guys in front of us, bounces under the feet of the guy next to me and goes behind us. Behind us are two dads with their young sons, maybe 6 years old or so. One little kid reaches down but the ball bounces away and two young guys to their right scoop the ball in the scramble from the kid. The kid is now crying and doesn't stop for an inning or two. Try as he might, his dad cannot console the kid. The "group" are now on this young guy and all but threatening a severe ass whipping if he doesn't give the kid the ball. Well, after substantial abuse, the two young guys leave, figuring 10-2 odds aren't too good.
Well, up comes Don Mattingly and incredibly, he hits a fould ball to almost exactly the same spot. The guy in front of me gets the ball, reaches back between me and my buddy and puts the ball in the kids glove!! The kid now lights up like Christmas just came in July. Truly a priceless moment. We all kept telling the kid that he got a great ball because it was a Mattingly ball, not a cheapo Mullins ball. I suspect that kid has treasured that thing to this day. Needless to say, that dad gave the guy who handed his kid the ball a look of deep appreciation for his gesture. The donor drank free beer for the rest of the game. A wonderful Fenway moment.

Been to a lot of Fenway games, all were great to me, win or lose, watching a game in Fenway is something any baseball fan should do at least once. Red Sox lover or hater, Fenway is a magical place.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve F

Fenway, Summer 1967, An afternoon game vs the O's. Tickets were still easy and cheap $2/bleachers. Mid-season, the BoSox were just about .500 and ready to explode up the chart. Of course the tears that later followed rivaled JFK's assasination.

[linked image]

Old 12-12-2008, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Rivera

this one is tough-there are so many games-we used togo to 3 buck night at Memorial Stadium and over the summer you could see every American League team,( if you went to every 3 buck night-and we did)this was in the late 70s early 80s.
If I had to pick my best it would be Game 2 83 World Series O's vs Philly and I went with my mother. That was the year I graduated high school and went to so many games and thought I would not get a chance togo the WS and when my mother came home from work the night of Game 2 she had 2 sets of tickets-2 seats for game 2 and 2 seats for game 6 and as we all know the O's won in 5. O's lost the first game and won the next 4.
I guess probably my most memorable.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

June 4, 1958. My very first major league game. The Dodgers had come to LA and played in the the LA Memorial Coliseum. We lived in Burbank, California and couldn't wait for the team to get to California. That day my Dad took my brother and me to the game and we saw Brooklyn (LA) beat the Cincinnati Reds. I remember seeing Reese, Snider, Hodges, Furillo,Gilliam and Padres. I especially remember Steve Bilko playing for Cincinnati --since he had been my mosted hated player since he always caused problems for my Hollywood Stars in the PCL. I am sure it wasn't the greatest game ever played but certainly brought major league baseball to life for a 12year boy back then.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

1. End of September 1960 walked to Fenway from my last class of the day freshman year @ MIT and saw Williams 521st and last home run in the eighth inning off of Jack Fisher of the O's. Ball landed about 50 feet from me in right center field bleachers - not many there to see the game but unfortunately several closer to the ball than me.

2. End of September 1967 Sox - Twins series Sox win pennant - Yaz triple crown - Killebrew hits the longest home run I have ever seen into top row of lights @ the 379 foot mark in deep left center and gets standing O from the Sox fans as he and Yaz tie for home runs @ 44.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken Wirt

The most exciting thing I've ever witnessed at a ballgame was seeing McGwire's final four HR's of 1998 (#'s 67-70). Maybe it's a bit tainted now, but a crowd has never gone crazier!

I also was fortunate enough to see a game in 1974, in which Bob Gibson brought his strikeout total up to 2999 (uhgg)! But what was really cool, was that in that same game, Hank Aaron got a pinch-hit single. Aaron was essentially making farewell appearances by then, and that was his only at-bat of the series. Once he reached first, they pinch-ran for him, and the St. Louis fans gave him a huge standing ovation. I was 13 years old and will never forget that!

Old 12-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

I remember the 1st game I ever went to (mid 70s) with my dad. Must have been in Cincinnati, because I remember big George Foster hitting one out.. there were 7 Home Runs hit that night.. For the longest I couldn't figure out why there weren't more HRs hit in every game.. I was a bit spoiled after that first game barrage by the Big RED Machine!

marty

Old 12-12-2008, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

1961 Crosley Field, my first game ever. The all-stars got to parade around the field prior to the game in our uniforms and we made phantom jumping fly ball catches against the wall happy.gif

Best game ever was not a pro game, it was watching Arkansas come from behind in a do or die NCAA playoff game when Brady Toops hit a grand slam homer in the bottom of the 9th against Wichita State. Go Hogs!

Old 12-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot

Easy. Padres v. Rockies 2007 Wild Card Play-In Game at Coors Field with my nine year old son. Rox come from behind to win in the bottom of the 13th in the midst of a 21-1 run to the World Series. Too bad the Bosox had to show up and spoil the party.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John V

More Pirate games...
I attended the first night game in World Series history at Three rivers in 1971, which was pretty cool.

But my favorite games were any at Forbes Field. We would take 2 street-cars to get there. You would have to understand the sights, sounds and soot of Pittsburgh to get the picture. Upon arrival, you would go through the turnstiles that had at least 75 coats of paint on them and work your way through that semi-dilapidated, great, old structure toward your seat. That sight of the green field that emerged before you can never be forgotten. How I wish it was still there!

Mark L.
We used to wait for Clemente after the games and walk with him to his car. At that time it was a 63 or 64 Caddy - light green.

Sorry for getting carried away, reminiscing.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS--Aaron Boone's HR against Tim Wakefield. This is not only the greatest game I have ever been at but also the greatest game I have ever seen.