NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-03-2024, 04:21 PM
John €ffenheim

Default Suggestions for a vintage football

So I recently rediscovered this ball while cleaning up the basement. My first question is, is it possible to have a bladder replaced on a ball this old? As you can see it doesn't display very well as is. If it is doable does anyone know of someone that can do the work and make the laces look "vintage". From the limited research I've done it doesn't sound like the current laces can be saved once removed.
My other question is there seems to quite a few signatures on the ball. As toned as the ball is I can't make any of them out. Is there a way to treat the ball to bring them out, or would doing so destroy the value of the ball itself? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 02-03-2024, 05:49 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Steve Hill (Hammer Sports Relics) is your guy. He replaces these bladders at a very reasonable price. Often, he can indeed save the original laces, but he cannot guarantee that. They tend to snap from getting brittle after all those years, and he can't predict the outcome until he actually performs the "surgery".

I have had Steve replace about 5 - 6 bladders for me, and he's been able to rescue the original laces each time. Very fortunate. If he cannot save the laces, he will replace them with something very similar. I think he stocks vintage leather lacing that he can match up pretty well.

But if the replacement lacing does look newer than the rest of the football, I would just get my fingers dirty... rub the laces for a few minutes, massage in the grime, and then wipe off the loose dirt. Some residue will adhere to the laces, so they should not stand out nearly as much. Perhaps there's a better solution, but I am not aware of one.

As for the autos... Steve is able to condition the leather without harming the ink. Whether or not this will make the autos clearer/stand out better, only he can address with you. Feel free to send me a PM if you want Steve's email address. I haven't used his services for a couple years, but assume he's still in business.

Hope this is helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 02-03-2024, 06:58 PM
John €ffenheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Hope this is helpful.
It is! Thanks. Sending a PM now

Last edited by effe; 02-03-2024 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-03-2024, 08:48 PM
Casey Moore

+1 for Steve Hill.
Old 02-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Marc

What's the best way to find him? I'm not finding him easily online (but that might just be me).
Old 02-09-2024, 05:46 AM
John €ffenheim

I sent Perezfan an IM yesterday because my first attempt with Tapatalk didn't seem to go through. When I hear back either he or I can IM you. I did see Steve was on LinkedIn but it wouldn't let me message him without a paid account.

Last edited by effe; 02-09-2024 at 05:47 AM.
Old 02-09-2024, 11:48 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by effe View Post
I sent Perezfan an IM yesterday because my first attempt with Tapatalk didn't seem to go through. When I hear back either he or I can IM you. I did see Steve was on LinkedIn but it wouldn't let me message him without a paid account.
Just provided Steve's email to John via PM. Just FYI, I never did receive the first attempt.

What the heck... I'll just post it here in the thread for anyone who is looking to replace a bladder or is in need of football preservation/restoration...

hammersportsrelics@yahoo.com

Hope this is helpful.

Old 03-02-2024, 01:12 PM
John €ffenheim

Just wanted to give Steve a shout out for doing a great job and perezfan for the referral.

Old 03-02-2024, 06:15 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Looks awesome... so glad it came out great!