NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-09-2018, 09:17 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Guaranteed to pass any third party authenticator

I don't venture over on this side very often, and my autograph knowledge is limited compared to those of you who actively collect autographs. I do own a few authenticated items and have studied those signatures on a case by case basis. However, I am considering embarking on a broader 1960s football autograph project and need some input. I am considering collecting autographed cards of Chargers players from the 1960s. Many of these players are not well known, and there aren't very many on ebay. Many of these cards are not authenticated by anyone but carry the statement "guaranteed to pass any third party authenticator." Is that good enough for you? I can't say that I would send them into PSA, JSA, SGC, etc. Part of me thinks that no one would go to the trouble to fake an obscure nobody from a 1960s football set and sell it for about $14. But I also know how some people think. Many of the stars come authenticated, but the lesser known guys who are already deceased are not, and it is fortuitous to find even one signed card by that person. It is highly unlikely to ever find an obscure player from the 1960s Chargers already authenticated. What do you think?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2018, 09:23 AM
Kevin

So long as you are quick to get items authenticated after purchase it is fine to utilize that. Also realize per eBay you have at least 45 days to request a refund for any reason. Even listings that say “no returns” can be returned and a refund gotten.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:26 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Keep in mind the time frame of TPGs may not even get it back to you in time to get a refund within the 45 days. Always use a cc through paypal

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-09-2018, 10:19 AM

And just how are the Third Parties authenticating these "obscure nobodies"?
Does anyone really believe they have no-doubt exemplars from, well, everyone?
Old 09-09-2018, 10:29 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
That is another aspect I meant to mention. Great point!

Old 09-09-2018, 10:39 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
I've seen some come back as n4 I believe when it is I conclusive/no charge from PSA. As well, I have a voucher from JSA on an item that was given a cursory pre-cert, but deemed Inconclusive upon team review. Talking about covering your behind!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 09-09-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:32 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Well I honestly don't care about having them slabbed, but I guess I would need to send in even the relatively unknown players to be authenticated just so that I wouldn't have a collection full of fakes. Is there any particular authenticator that would be better suited and more reasonable for 1960s football?

Old 09-09-2018, 03:42 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

One guy who might be able to help steer you in the right direction, is Todd Tobias (AFLfan on these boards). He has gotten to know several AFL players, including many 1960's Chargers, collected all their autographs, and has even written one or two books about the Gillman-era Chargers. He's also the guy who spearheaded the recent push to get Johnny Robinson elected to the Hall of Fame.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 09-09-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Well I honestly don't care about having them slabbed, but I guess I would need to send in even the relatively unknown players to be authenticated just so that I wouldn't have a collection full of fakes.
Since when does using a third-party authenticator guarantee not having a collection full of fakes?
Old 09-10-2018, 12:49 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Since when does using a third-party authenticator guarantee not having a collection full of fakes?
David, not enough autograph collectors understand the above.

Regarding Chargers commons, the only danger I see is that TTM autographs might have been signed by wives, etc. PSA should be able to find exemplars in their database and authenticate these.

I don't believe in autograph authentication unless I need it for re-sell or to make things easier for my heirs. But in all cases I have to be able to personally authenticate them before sending them off to PSA or JSA. That last statement will make no sense to many here.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:31 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Good points raised that are taken to heart. I didn't want it to appear that I would blindly accept a third party authenticator and not educate myself. I wouldn't do that with autographs anymore than I would buy a graded card just because of what the flip says. A collector has to know what he is getting into and have a knowledge base. I will have access to a fair amount of exemplars for my Chargers signed card project. Many of them will be TTM. The exemplars will help reduce my concerns over wives' signatures and such. Other than seeing the cards signed in person, this is about the next best thing to me. I don't have any thoughts whatsoever about resale, this is just a fun hobby for me. The AFL and its players fascinate me, and I want to reach out to some of the players of its past.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:37 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I would highly encourage you to get a subscription to sportscollectors.net and send the cards to the players yourself. Many will sign your cards for free and write back answering any questions you might have. The site also will give you a pretty good idea how long it takes for them to answer and if they charge a fee. You will find a new passion and be very excited to receive your mail every day all for the price of a SASE.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:24 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
I would highly encourage you to get a subscription to sportscollectors.net and send the cards to the players yourself. Many will sign your cards for free and write back answering any questions you might have. The site also will give you a pretty good idea how long it takes for them to answer and if they charge a fee. You will find a new passion and be very excited to receive your mail every day all for the price of a SASE.
That is exactly what I am doing. I am actually pretty excited about it. I didn't even know about that site until a couple of days ago. Pretty awesome stuff!