NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for BSelling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on Ebay
Babe Ruth Cards
t206 Ty Cobb
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Baseball T201-T217
Baseball E90-E107
T205 Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Goudey Cards
Vintage Baseball Memorabilia
Baseball Exhibit Cards
Baseball Strip Cards
Baseball Baking Cards
Sporting News Cards
Play Ball Cards
Joe DiMaggio Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Bowman 1951-1955
Football Cards

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 05-22-2021, 04:20 PM
Shoeless Moe Shoeless Moe is offline
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy G, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts, Most Blocked Poster
Pa.ul Grus.zka
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Over by there
Posts: 3,757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
If you look closely at the bottom right and left of this photo you can see the same tabs as the OP piece.
You've posted that a couple times, what is your point? That the current picture matches the piece from the 1930's? I would hope it would. They obviously copied it from the original. Thank you for proving it existed at one point.

Also, where are your comments on the black light test? You pushed me to get that done. I did. Radio silence.

Also, saw a lot of flea markets and garage sales this weekend. I'm sure you and others did as well, waiting for all these to pop up like you said. So far none have been posted.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 05-22-2021 at 05:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 05-22-2021, 04:26 PM
Shoeless Moe Shoeless Moe is offline
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy G, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts, Most Blocked Poster
Pa.ul Grus.zka
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Over by there
Posts: 3,757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
But as I mentioned earlier there was extreme bad blood between Curtis candy and Babe Ruth so I cannot see them obtaining a license to offer a Ruth Premium.

and for such bad blood Curtiss sure liked to live on the edge....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (18.4 KB, 269 views)
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 05-22-2021, 05:31 PM
Shoeless Moe Shoeless Moe is offline
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy G, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts, Most Blocked Poster
Pa.ul Grus.zka
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Over by there
Posts: 3,757
Default

AWFUL NEWS FOLKS - and I hate to be the barer of bad news, but the '52 Mantle never existed:

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...product=poster

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...uct=coffee-mug

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...oduct=yoga-mat

You all can throw them away or actually send them to me, I'll get rid of them for you.


Right Jonathan?
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 05-22-2021, 05:34 PM
drcy's Avatar
drcy drcy is offline
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
AWFUL NEWS FOLKS - and I hate to be the barer of bad news, but the '52 Mantle never existed:

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...product=poster

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...uct=coffee-mug

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...oduct=yoga-mat

You all can throw them away or actually send them to me, I'll get rid of them for you.


Right Jonathan?

That's why I didn't understanding the reasoning behind the arguments that this site was evidence the Gum Ball item was fake. The site reproduces known authentic/original items. It seemed to me that the Gum Ball was on there too was evidence that there was an original somewhere.

Last edited by drcy; 05-22-2021 at 05:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 05-22-2021, 09:06 PM
bigfanNY bigfanNY is offline
Jonathan Sterling
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
and for such bad blood Curtiss sure liked to live on the edge....
Yes it was many years of Bad Blood. The Baby Ruth Candy Bar first appeared in 1921 and the Date on the Baby Ruth gum ad was 1929. Curtiss took full advantage of the great success of the Baby Ruth bar. And unless the Bambino name was copyright by someone they were free to use that name as well. If it worked before why not keep it up?
Babe Ruth Candy co was Formed in 1926 and competed directly against Baby Ruth when it issued the Home Run Bar.
In 1931 the case went to court and they found in favor of Curtiss Candy. Babe Ruth candy ceased opereations shortly after losing the case in 1931.
So not only did Ruth not receive a penny for the sales of Baby Ruth he was out legal fees and had to shut down a revenue stream.
My Statements About Curtiss and Ruth really dont have anything to do with your sign which is labeled as coming from General Gum, Not Curtiss Candy. Aside from the fact that your sign lists an address known to be used By Curtiss Candy. But to date no proof exists that General gum did in fact have offices at that address in 1934/1935.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 05-22-2021, 09:23 PM
bigfanNY bigfanNY is offline
Jonathan Sterling
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
AWFUL NEWS FOLKS - and I hate to be the barer of bad news, but the '52 Mantle never existed:

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...product=poster

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...uct=coffee-mug

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...oduct=yoga-mat

You all can throw them away or actually send them to me, I'll get rid of them for you.


Right Jonathan?
Paul I looked at the site and although they sell images of the front of the 1952 Mantle in various sizes. They do not sell them in the same size as issued by Topps with both the front and back printed.
Now a number of other printers have issued cards the same size as 1952 topps with both rhe Front and Back printed as the 1952 Mantle. These reproductions have caused a number of collectors to spend their hard earned money on reproductions
They DO Sell a sign that is the same size as yours with a printed front and blank back that has the same tabs just like the one you purchased on Ebay.
Unfortunately although many ( but not all) of the images sold by this vender are of original advertisements. Not everyone who purchases them resells them as reproductions. They turn up regularly at flea markets and Antique fairs....and once in a while on ebay altered to make them appear older than they are.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 05-22-2021, 10:13 PM
oldeboo oldeboo is offline
Trey
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
My Statements About Curtiss and Ruth really dont have anything to do with your sign which is labeled as coming from General Gum, Not Curtiss Candy. Aside from the fact that your sign lists an address known to be used By Curtiss Candy. But to date no proof exists that General gum did in fact have offices at that address in 1934/1935.
To date proof DOES exist that Paul's item is connected to a CURTISS CANDY COMPANY BUILDING, plant #3 to be more specific.

Keep bringing completely bogus theories to the discussion. Everything that you bring up keeps adding to the overwhelming evidence and facts because everything you've said has been the exact opposite of reality. Without your help we wouldn't know as much as we now do, I'm sure many appreciate that. You've been a great help in validating this item and creating serious doubt in regards to Butterfinger having much to do with R310 at all.

The following is from a very specific publication that spells it out rather clearly:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 337e.jpg (36.1 KB, 226 views)

Last edited by oldeboo; 05-22-2021 at 10:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 05-23-2021, 07:34 AM
Shoeless Moe Shoeless Moe is offline
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy G, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts, Most Blocked Poster
Pa.ul Grus.zka
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Over by there
Posts: 3,757
Default Agree with Trey

Jonathan lighten up, I obviously was joking on the Mantle, have a beer, enjoy life........after that beer check this out:
General Gum Inc.'s other offer that year has a lot of very similar features as this offer, the same expiration date, the same colors used, similar offer details. Again making this highly likely General Gum had the Ruth offer, whether it went forward or was scrapped is the only question. Can you admit that at least this was a possibility? Just a Yes or No will suffice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gen gum.jpg (78.6 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg genngum.jpg (77.7 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg gerneral gum.jpg (76.4 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1271 - Copy.jpg (77.1 KB, 202 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 05-23-2021 at 07:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 05-23-2021, 07:47 AM
Shoeless Moe Shoeless Moe is offline
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy G, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts, Most Blocked Poster
Pa.ul Grus.zka
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Over by there
Posts: 3,757
Default

Joanthan if your still holding on to THAT Site being your argument, send me the link to the one you feel is the same as mine, I'll order it and do the black light test on it, remember the black light test, that would be the one you refuse to acknowledge after asking me to do it.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 05-23-2021, 09:32 AM
drcy's Avatar
drcy drcy is offline
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Joanthan if your still holding on to THAT Site being your argument, send me the link to the one you feel is the same as mine, I'll order it and do the black light test on it, remember the black light test, that would be the one you refuse to acknowledge after asking me to do it.
I can almost promise you that all the items from that site with fluoresce brightly, including the coffee cups.

The item obviously is original and authentic. I don't believe there is any reason for debate anymore.

Even the "refuting" evidence posted supports it being authentic.

Last edited by drcy; 05-23-2021 at 10:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old 05-23-2021, 09:35 AM
oldeboo oldeboo is offline
Trey
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
General Gum Inc.'s other offer that year has a lot of very similar features as this offer, the same expiration date, the same colors used, similar offer details. Again making this highly likely General Gum had the Ruth offer, whether it went forward or was scrapped is the only question.
It's funny that the "Funnies" issue is brought up again. Someone was using this series as their primary argument for how this piece was NOT genuine. Let's investigate beyond the offer, expiration, and colors.

One could even make a connection to the similar artistic style, printing characteristics, ink, and heck, even the paper aging is similar or nearly identical in the unstained areas. That's only a few attributes I notice at first glance. Now I'm not going to try to track down who the artist was or the manufacturer of the ink used, but dang. The "Funnies" is an arguement for this being genuine, not the opposite. Now I wouldn't lean exclusively on these details, but c'mon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg funn.jpg (72.2 KB, 253 views)
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 05-23-2021, 10:21 AM
bigfanNY bigfanNY is offline
Jonathan Sterling
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Joanthan if your still holding on to THAT Site being your argument, send me the link to the one you feel is the same as mine, I'll order it and do the black light test on it, remember the black light test, that would be the one you refuse to acknowledge after asking me to do it.
Paul I have always acknowledged that there is a small possibility that this is real. I did not ask you to get a blacklight test I commented once that a blacklight and a loupe are both handy when looking at items and you not having them caused you to back off those tests.
At some poit soon a major Auction house will probably offer their opinion or an expert will get it in their hands and we will get an answer. Until then I will remain unconvinced.
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 05-23-2021, 10:37 AM
oldeboo oldeboo is offline
Trey
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Just saw this and I come out on the 100% fake side. If this was a cell phone case or a throw pillow I might say 99%. I saw some of these items at Michael's or Hobby Lobby and recognized the image right away.
I would be looking for a refund.
J
I'm not sure you "always acknowledged that there is a small possibility that this is real," but at least you are becoming more convinced now! The literature, physical evidence, and facts have overwhelmed you it appears.
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 05-23-2021, 11:28 AM
conor912's Avatar
conor912 conor912 is offline
C0nor D0na.hue
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,800
Default

Regardless of the consensus, I love that items like this make for great, informative discussion.
__________________
Items for sale or trade here UPDATED 3-16-18
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 05-23-2021, 09:51 PM
steve B steve B is offline
Steve Birmingham
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eastern Mass.
Posts: 6,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Paul I have always acknowledged that there is a small possibility that this is real. I did not ask you to get a blacklight test I commented once that a blacklight and a loupe are both handy when looking at items and you not having them caused you to back off those tests.
At some poit soon a major Auction house will probably offer their opinion or an expert will get it in their hands and we will get an answer. Until then I will remain unconvinced.
And expert (DRCY) has already seen high res scans and given his opinion.

Just from the relatively lower res closeups here I can guess at what he saw that made him believe it's actually old.

I believe that with the same scans I'd reach the same conclusion.
From the closeups here, I can only say that I believe it was made using one of the types of typography, either from a carved print block (very much like actual typography) Or from an electrotype plate, a shallower etched form of typography plate.
The details of which one would be readily seen on a high res scan.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 05-24-2021, 09:40 AM
Wimberleycardcollector Wimberleycardcollector is offline
D@vid H@W@RD
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Texas
Posts: 240
Default

No credible evidence has been presented to make us believe it is not authentic. The evidence shown so far points to authentic. Does it really matter and why do people always have to argue and be right? Remain unconvinced. You stated your viewpoint a few times and I think everyone understands it. Restating your opinion will not change the evidence presented thus far. To each his own. Let's move on.
__________________
Successful transactions with Bocabirdman, Bobbyw8469, Rjackson44
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 05-24-2021, 10:14 AM
irishdenny's Avatar
irishdenny irishdenny is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
And expert (DRCY) has already seen high res scans and given his opinion.

Just from the relatively lower res closeups here I can guess at what he saw that made him believe it's actually old.

I believe that with the same scans I'd reach the same conclusion.
From the closeups here, I can only say that I believe it was made using one of the types of typography, either from a carved print block (very much like actual typography) Or from an electrotype plate, a shallower etched form of typography plate.
The details of which one would be readily seen on a high res scan.
Dankz Steve,

I've been waiting to hear from You...
Your Printing Knowledge has always Enlightened me! (:

Over the years I've Explored David's
Photography educational & teachings through his website.

*Very Cool site David!!!

In the submarine Navy I was my Boats Photographer for some 6 years.
Our Type 18 Periscope was equipped with a 70mm capable of doing Panoramic shots... OMAHA was Designed to transform the pantry into a Dark room Underway... Developed many Cold war items during my time aboard ~

This is an Awesome Piece...
Finding out about it's past is what makes it even Bettar!

And Dankz for the Education Fellars... Truly!!!
__________________
Life's Grand,
Denny Walsh
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 06-04-2021, 10:31 AM
jerseygary's Avatar
jerseygary jerseygary is offline
G@ry Cier@dkowski
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 793
Default

I posted this in the thread on the Memorabilia side as well:

I've followed this thread closely. I am a graphic designer and have studied the history of my profession over the years and an somewhat familiar with the way things were printed and made to work through the decades. Without seeing this piece in person, it's impossible for me to make a conclusion when it comes to the way it was printed.

I also create "period correct" props for movies and TV shows. I know from my own work that it is very easy for a trained person to make a modern piece look and feel "old" until it is thoroughly examined up close. I just did a group of circa 1933 cardboard soft drink, tobacco and candy display signs for a movie that is being filmed right now. Between my designs which use 1933-correct typefaces and colors and the prop master or set decorator who artificially aged the pieces on set, you would be hard pressed to say one way of the other if they were authentic or not until you have it in hand.

A few years ago I was asked by a major auction house to give my opinion on an incredibly large collection of baseball advertising pieces. This was a one man's entire collection, over 300 pieces ranging from the 1890s to the 1950s. He had amassed them over the previous thirty years. 99% were fake. Some were good fakes, while many were really poor 1980s color copy quality mounted to old cardboard. The old glue had dried out on some and you could actually see the graphics that were underneith on the original cardboard.

One thing that struck me were the sun faded shapes that were present on the backs of many of the fakes. This can't really be faked - but the graphics applied to the fronts can.

I was going both ways until I took a practical look at how a display header would have been used. When I did a model of the sign and tried to make the cut-out tabs work the way they are supposed to, it doesn't add up to me.

Here is my little exhibit to explain:

Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 12.13.39 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 12.13.58 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 12.14.06 PM.jpg

See what I mean about the graphics and copy being cut off? It kind of defeats the purpose of having a header if you can't read the copy on it. Were there bad designers back in 1935? Absolutely. But a candy company that does many types of products each year that come with displays like this wouldn't have sent this to market designed this way. A competent designer would have designed around the tab problem and included more "empty space" to compensate for the mounting system.

Is this a definitive answer - no, but just more food for thought until someone gets a hold of this thing in real life...
__________________
MY BASEBALL CARD PROJECT:
www.studiogaryc.com/baseball-blog/
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 06-04-2021, 01:13 PM
Hankphenom Hankphenom is offline
Hank Thomas
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,513
Default

Was the tab method actually used on candy boxes of this era? It seems so clunky and undependable. Wouldn't just putting your graphics on the inside of the top, which would be flipped back in the store to make the display, be a much better way? Not sure I remember ever seeing the tab method on anything, but maybe I just never noticed.
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 06-04-2021, 07:19 PM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is offline
M@RK ST€!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,230
Default

The tabs could have been used to connect the Header Card to a Floorstand Display or to a shelf channel. We may never know the purpose unless a vintage image surfaces, or more evidence comes to light.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Babe ruth Quaker Oats sign opinions MGHPro Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 4 08-16-2019 07:38 PM
12 inch Babe Ruth die cut counter sign combatsports4life Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 9 05-24-2011 06:46 AM
4 ft Babe Ruth Fro Joy Stand-up Sign $49,999.99 CarltonHendricks Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 5 06-25-2009 03:51 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:34 AM.


ebay GSB