NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2015, 08:05 AM
Steven

Default Random thoughts on 1915 CJS; tough cards, o/c cards, tilt...

I have been collecting CJs for several years now and am still obsessed with them. Even after completing my set a couple years ago, I still watch and buy CJ upgrades and even keep a couple dups. I mainly watch cards between Vg and Ex as I think the majority of people look at while keeping an eye on high and low grade cards. I am just curious what others think on a few things.

I do believe there are "tough" cards in the set. If I am looking at the Vg-Ex window that would eliminate all those 7s and 8s and the beaters limiting what I actually will purchase. I believe there a couple cards with pops in the 60s from tpgs and a couple more that max out around 180 so I would think its safe to assume there are 75-200 copies of any given card. Its always highly debatable how many raw cards are locked in private collections, but tons have been cracked out as well as I have de-slabbed around 50 myself...love breaking slabs.

I have always had a hard time finding a couple cards in Vg to Ex including:

102 Fisher
122 Bush
139 Oakes
172 Mayer

These 4 cards haunted me for a long time as I either needed them or mine were pretty rough. I think these all go in cycles as I remember when #90 Smith was getting a low grade HOF premium as none were around and lots of folks wanted him for whatever reason...Marsans was pretty pricey for awhile too. I'd love to hear some opinions on cards folks have struggled with.

Federal leaguers also seem to draw a premium as do cards around 110-130 as they show lots of great uniform poses and I think the higher series (73-144)was harder for me to find than the first series. The additional 32 cards that were added from the 1914 set (145-176) always seemed more plentiful to me with the exception of the Mayer card with a handful of them constantly being for sale like 153 James.

HOFers also seem to go in waves as major HOFers seem to dry up and then emerge in multiples. WaJos have been pretty dry for some time and I don't count the museum pieces on ebay as available. There were no Jacksons in auction for months and then we saw 4 low-mid grades sell in the past few months. Cobbs have also become less available as this is the card I receive the most pms about. With all that said, I still believe the Rickey is the hardest and it has the pop numbers to show for it as the "rarest" card in the set. Alexander is another example that truly moves in waves and believe is the 6th top card in the set, followed by Rickey and then Speaker. When I started collecting the Wags, WaJo and Matty were all about the same price-wise and that has changed. Wagner definitely gets the most and then WaJo followed by Matty. I think Matty is the most available and the WaJo prices might see some growth as the last psa 2 on ebay sold for big cash.

I have also found a couple cards to be very tough centering. The tough HOFer is clearly the 3-finger Brown...always o/c and usually in both directions. #28 Barry is another that I have rarely seen centered in low-mid grade. These are always the first 2 that come to mind along with #25 Simon who is always o/c, thin on the top side. What has everyone else noticed?

CJs also used to sell in larger lots quite frequently and we don't seem to see that anymore. REA sold 100 psa 3s a few years ago, a complete set sold in Tacoma, WA a couple years ago and since then getting 50 card+ lots seem impossible. While collecting the set I bought a 58, 73 and 124-card lots plus a handful of 20-30 card lots...building the set now truly seems like it is from ground up and there are no starter sets which makes things tough. Collectors also seem to be stringent on uniformity to their sets as well changing the whole thing.

I just like talking CJs and wanted to check in on the set guys and see everyone's thoughts to some of my observations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 122 Bush.jpg (77.7 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg 133 Rickey.jpg (77.3 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg 90 Smith.jpg (77.5 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by rainier2004; 12-12-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:40 AM
Anthøny N. ex

I think Jack Barry is the toughest card in the set from a condition standpoint- it's always tilted and/or OC, and I strongly suspect it was stripped up incorrectly on the sheet so when cut it was off.
By far, the hardest card in the set for me and for the 5 or 6 friends I had who collected it at the same time was Grover Cleveland Alexander. Some of the commons in the 120's were tougher than they should have been. I didn't find the high numbers in general any tougher than the others and suspect that might have been misinformation that was passed on as fact for years.
Finding a decent album with string intact was by far tougher than completing the set.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:17 AM
Steven

Yes, the Alexander is a tougher card and has seen one of the larger price spikes since I started collecting. Is it also one of the common cards with the printing variation. "Cracker Jack" can be printed in the red like most cards or up into the border as seen here. I cant think of another card I have seen this printing variation as much as Alexander.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37 Alexander.jpg (78.3 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg 37 Alexander.jpg (32.4 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by rainier2004; 12-10-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:20 AM
Greg Mitchell

I come at this from a different angle, as I am only interested in PSA 8s and SGC 88s commons, I think for a couple reasons: you can't really get the 14s graded that high and they are spectacular. Of course, the prices are much lower and, sadly, the SGCs are still way under the PSAs, even though grading standard seems same. Of course, the pop reports at that level differ from the mid-grades already cited here. The high number cards for 1915 tend to be more scarce and earn extra dough if they are. I have one that is "none higher" and two that are "one higher." They all look "pack fresh" and that's hard to beat. Still, I wish the SGCs would climb and I will soon test if a couple can cross to PSA a same level (despite warnings)....
Old 12-10-2015, 12:43 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Greg, FWIW, when I was collecting this set '04-'09 I cracked about 3 dozen SGC slabbed cards and they all crossed over to PSA, a small portion at either half a grade higher or lower, since PSA didn't have half grades at the time.
The only set I haven't been able to cross over at the same level is T200. SGC seems to grade those 2-3 grades higher than PSA, and I eventually gave up trying since it always led to brutal results.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:36 PM
A.J. Johnson

Anthony curious if you sent the flips back to SGC to have them removed from pop?
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 12-10-2015, 02:16 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

I only have two '14 CJs, so I can't add much value to this conversation, but to the folks who follow these cards, I ask this: did the WaJo PSA 2 sold a couple months ago by Probstein look a lot like the PSA 8 sold by PWCC last week? Not trying to create any conspiracy theories, but the cards just looked a lot a like as I recall. I can't pull up the 2 anymore in my ebay history, so I can't compare the images side by side.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:32 PM
Greg Mitchell

Anthony, what type of grades were those three dozen cards that crossed very well to PSA? And would you guess that SGC deleted them from their pop report?
Old 12-10-2015, 06:25 PM
Steven

Why does it matter if SGC deleted cards from their pop report?

Last edited by rainier2004; 12-10-2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:51 PM
Anthøny N. ex

in theory it makes the pop report more factual, but I think that ship has long since sailed. I sent in the flips once, they never changed the pop report, so I never bothered again.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:58 PM
Greg Mitchell

Anthony, still wondering those grades were on the cards that crossed successfully to PSA...
Old 12-10-2015, 11:24 PM
Anthøny N. ex

SGC80 to SGC88, crossing mostly straight across PSA 6 to 8.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:11 AM
Brian T.

You mentioned that you think Rickey is the toughest HOFer in the '15 set. In your opinion, how does he rank in terms of overall toughness compared to some of the commons you mentioned?

It seems like there aren't that many cards of Rickey as s player. For a guy that made such an impact on the game later in life, it'd be nice if there were more to choose from.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:38 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjung View Post
You mentioned that you think Rickey is the toughest HOFer in the '15 set. In your opinion, how does he rank in terms of overall toughness compared to some of the commons you mentioned?

It seems like there aren't that many cards of Rickey as s player. For a guy that made such an impact on the game later in life, it'd be nice if there were more to choose from.
There definitely isn't a lot to choose from with Rickey as a player, I believe he only played in 3 seasons with 1914 being his last. Its curious the Cracker Jack even produced a 1914 card for him considering he didn't play in 1913 if my memory is correct.

I think the commons I mentioned would be tougher on my list, I did get the Rickey well before I was near the end, but I was also looking for one for a couple years. The commons just didn't appear for me. Maybe its cycles, maybe fewer mid grades change hands for whatever reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102 Fisher.jpg (79.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 172 Mayer.jpg (77.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 139 Oakes.jpg (78.2 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by rainier2004; 12-12-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:07 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
SGC80 to SGC88, crossing mostly straight across PSA 6 to 8.
Are you kidding me?? SGC grades have not been close to crossing to the same PSA grades. Maybe you have had a 4 leaf clover in your pocket, but it would be a complete rarity if so, especially with T206s....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 12-12-2015 at 06:37 PM.