NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-23-2020, 04:20 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Hunts/Invaluable

Hunts uses Invaluable for their live auctions. They have this disclaimer of sorts on their website with regard to their live auctions:

Please note: Live Auction lots open at one increment above the second highest ceiling bid, and not at the high bid. Therefore, it is rare, but possible, during the course of incremental bidding, for a live bidder to win a lot for an amount equal to an online bidder's ceiling bid.

Huh? Maybe I'm just not smart enough to understand this. Does anyone follow this and understand what the point is? Maybe this makes sense to Scott G. and other who run live auctions. I've read it a dozen times and my head hurts.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 09-23-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:41 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I had to read that a few times. It looks like Live Auction bidding takes precedence over ceiling bids once they start, so they would have to revert to the second highest ceiling bid as a starting point in order for you, the live bidder to bid one increment higher, therefore tying the high ceiling bid. The highest ceiling bid at that point cannot bid any higher and you can't bid one increment higher because you wouldn't be the under bidder at that point.

Essentially, tie goes to the runner, which would be you the live bidder.

Last edited by Casey2296; 09-23-2020 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:52 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Hunts has good stuff, but the auction platform and bidding process is not particularly friendly.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:57 PM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Assume a $50 bid increment: On-line bidder (OLB) submits a ceiling bid of $500; another OLB submits $400. The high bid at the beginning of the live auction is therefor $450. A live bidder immediately bids $500 becoming the first bidder to get to $500. Execution of the OLB's $500 ceiling bid is now not possible since $500 is already taken. If the OLB is watching the live auction, he is shocked to see somebody else with his ceiling bid. If there are no more bids, live bidder wins.

I would think it is other than rare.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:57 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Ceiling bid

Isn't a ceiling bid supposed to be unknown to the auction house? i.e. - My ceiling bid is $1000, but my actual bid at that time may only be $200. Are they talking about one increment below the actual high bid?

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:41 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Feel like I am back to taking the LSAT for law school here . . . .
Old 09-23-2020, 05:42 PM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

The computer does it without the involvement of the AH, at least in theory. If the OLB high bid was $1000, the $500 bid would push him to $550.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2020, 05:44 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I guess maybe that's it.

But why do you open at anyone's ceiling bid? If OLB 1 has a bid of 400 with a ceiling of 600, and OLB 2 has a winning bid of 500 with a ceiling of 700, shouldn't the auction simply open at 500?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPoto View Post
Assume a $50 bid increment: On-line bidder (OLB) submits a ceiling bid of $500; another OLB submits $400. The high bid at the beginning of the live auction is therefor $450. A live bidder immediately bids $500 becoming the first bidder to get to $500. Execution of the OLB's $500 ceiling bid is now not possible since $500 is already taken. If the OLB is watching the live auction, he is shocked to see somebody else with his ceiling bid. If there are no more bids, live bidder wins.

I would think it is other than rare.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:03 PM
Scott Russell

Our live auctions aren't simulcast, they are live only with no absentee bids so if you or your agent aren't in the room you ain't bidding.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-23-2020, 06:05 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Isn't a ceiling bid supposed to be unknown to the auction house? i.e. - My ceiling bid is $1000, but my actual bid at that time may only be $200. Are they talking about one increment below the actual high bid?
You'd think so, but many of the online general auction platforms reveal ceiling bids to the auction companies. Auction Flex and Invaluable do, so if you see an auction company using either of those platforms be careful. We started our online auctions with auctionflex and that was one of the reasons we stopped using them.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 09-23-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:06 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Getting back to Hunt.....

That was an amazing auction. Incredible Vin Scully collection. And Larkin, too... surprised to see he's selling so many of his Awards and Trophies at a relatively young age..

Almost every Scully lot exceeded Hunts' pre-auction estimates by a mile. Cannot ever recall seeing such spirited and rapid bidding, and the auction seemingly ran forever. I've never seen one of these Hunt Live Auctions drag on for that long (or even close!)

Last edited by perezfan; 09-24-2020 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:06 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

If OLB1 has a ceiling bid of $600 and OLB2 has a ceiling bid of $700, the "current high bid" at the beginning of live bidding would be OLB2 at $650, assuming no other OLB's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I guess maybe that's it.

But why do you open at anyone's ceiling bid? If OLB 1 has a bid of 400 with a ceiling of 600, and OLB 2 has a winning bid of 500 with a ceiling of 700, shouldn't the auction simply open at 500?
Old 09-24-2020, 08:40 PM
Scott Gaynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
You'd think so, but many of the online general auction platforms reveal ceiling bids to the auction companies. Auction Flex and Invaluable do, so if you see an auction company using either of those platforms be careful. We started our online auctions with auctionflex and that was one of the reasons we stopped using them.
I can tell you from experience that you can't see the ceiling bids with invaluable. That is hidden to the auctioneer. I can't even see who is bidding, just that a bid was placed.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/estate-find...1&_ipg=&_from=

Find my monthly auctions on auctionninja
https://www.auctionninja.com/gaynors-fine-consignments/
Old 09-25-2020, 07:13 AM
Scott Russell

Sorry I thought invaluable was one of the ones that allowed that. Didn't mean to impugn you Scott. I can say with 100% certainty that you can see top bids on Auction Flex.