NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Robert Williams

I thought I already answered that question? Speaking for myself, I wont do anymore crossovers in slabs, because I am like 0-30. I don't think the companies give their competitors a fair shake in that regard. And a high dollar card such as that one, I won't crack out either. Maybe the seller felt the same way....
Old 02-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingshoegiverouterguy View Post
No one that seems to be behind Carter has answered this question, which seems to be a strong possibility:

"For the detractors out there about Todd submitting the card to SGC. Did it dawn on you that when the seller stated that he knew GAI would sell for 20% of SGC or PSA, then why would he not try and submit his $1000 card to turn it into a $4000-$5000 card? Or maybe he did and it came back the same results as Todd got."

Lee
I am definitely not behind the seller, Paul Sabatino, but he certainly is within his right to sell a GAI graded card whether or not he tried to cross it. Not sure he owes any disclosure, if he did attempt a cross over. Don't think he made any assertions as to guarantee the card would cross over either so I see nothing wrong with his having sold it knowing it would sell for less. Every person who sells GAI stuff knows it will sell for less.

Greg
Old 02-25-2011, 06:13 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingshoegiverouterguy View Post
No one that seems to be behind Carter has answered this question, which seems to be a strong possibility:

"For the detractors out there about Todd submitting the card to SGC. Did it dawn on you that when the seller stated that he knew GAI would sell for 20% of SGC or PSA, then why would he not try and submit his $1000 card to turn it into a $4000-$5000 card? Or maybe he did and it came back the same results as Todd got."

Lee
It a STUPID question! You're asking us to speculate. Any more STUPID questions?

Edited to add: Maybe you should change your name to bowlingballgiverouterguy because the OP could definitley use some BALLS! He sits there and hides behind the eBay Buyer Protection because his card didn't cross and wants to whine. Boo Hoo! If it were any other auction or other method of purchase, he would be SOL and you, I and the OP know it.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 02-25-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

There is no need whatever for these gratuitous personal insults.

EDIT TO COPY POST TO WHICH I WAS RESPONDING
"It a STUPID question! You're asking us to speculate. Any more STUPID questions?

Edited to add: Maybe you should change your name to bowlingballgiverouterguy because the OP could definitley use some BALLS! He sits there and hides behind the eBay Buyer Protection because his card didn't cross and wants to whine. Boo Hoo! If it were any other auction or other method of purchase, he would be SOL and you, I and the OP know it."

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-25-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Bill Hedin

Default what a thread~

I've held out posting this long but I'm going to say that I just hope this situation will somehow work out for both parties.
Good luck resolving this matter gentlemen.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Robert Williams

Yes, the name calling and belittling is getting old...
Old 02-25-2011, 06:47 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...... I have got to still be leading even after a little absence! Rob d eat your heart out!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:51 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
There is no need whatever for these gratuitous personal insults.

There's also no need to keep this thread going as everybody has already said anything that could possibly be said. Until his STUPID question, there hadn't been a comment (related to the actual topic) posted in this thread in 24 hours. He could have let the issue die, but he choose to keep digging. I'll dig as deep as he wants to go.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 02-25-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Pup6913

I dont know Mr. David James but I am sure if we had a tribal council and voted he would be removed from this board. Really sir there is no reason to insult anyone. Especially Todd, or any other tenured member here. The collective knowledge on this board is 2nd to none and wether or not I or anyone else gets along we should really curb the ignorance. A few jabs here and there is fine but you have taken it a bit overboard. I have learned from personal experience that being a jerk gets you far less, and many members wont do business regardless of wether you have money or not. Yes I have been know to get fired up and say some ignorant stuff, and I assure you I regretted it later. If I am not mistaken this past years Net 54 dinner at the national was canceled due to threads like this derailing. I would love to attend one some day so lets strive to make it possible.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:57 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

It was Todd that hurled the first personal insults by calling us "turds" and telling us to "kiss his ass." I was done with this thread, but there are some who obviously want to keep it going.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Johnny S

Old 02-25-2011, 07:07 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
It was Todd that hurled the first personal insults by calling us "turds" and telling us to "kiss his ass." I was done with this thread, but there are some who obviously want to keep it going.
David I assure you that if this happened to you that you would be upset also. Amidst all the chaos the issues started. I hope that we all can bury the issues between us and just concentrate on what happened. It was a sour deal either way. Wether Todd is in the right or wrong it was just a bad deal. I am sure you can agree to this. If you were in his shoes would you have replied in a similar manner? I might have, and many others also.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:15 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Well said andrew. Am i still in the lead?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:16 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
David I assure you that if this happened to you that you would be upset also. Amidst all the chaos the issues started. I hope that we all can bury the issues between us and just concentrate on what happened. It was a sour deal either way. Wether Todd is in the right or wrong it was just a bad deal. I am sure you can agree to this. If you were in his shoes would you have replied in a similar manner? I might have, and many others also.
Andrew,

Yes, I would be upset if the same thing happened to me. It was a sour deal and I honestly feel bad for Todd. I don't think Todd is in the wrong, I just think he handled the situation wrong - but I really don't want to re-hash all that. Yes, I would have handled the situtaion differently, but that's just me.

DJ

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 02-25-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Pup6913

Kevin I believe that some idle chit chat and this thread may make the #1 mark. You are more than likely still numero uno.

David thats what makes us all unique. We all react differently to different situations. But at least we all agree it was just a bad deal hands down.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

My brother was tagged a Dunderhead.

I am just plain STUPID, he always has got big better these than me.

Mr. James I bid you well in your endeavors and don't ever come whining when you get taken advantage of by Paypal or seller, because believe me it's going to happen. It's nice to show your real colors to everyone here.

As Forrest Gump said: STUPID is as STUPID does.

Lee
Old 02-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Jeff

Todd,
I hope you get your money back. Interesting thread to say the least.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Jim VB

WTF Jeff?

417 posts in and NOW you decide to say something???

That's just piling on man!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:23 PM
E. Angyal

Default What did I miss?

Old 02-26-2011, 07:45 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Last time I looked I think the number of posts was 200 or so. So I'm so far behind that I'm looking for the Cliff Notes on this thread. Is it out in the bookstores yet?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:46 AM
Bill Hedin

Default dead horse!

Jeff, I love the dead horse photo!
I believe we have made this the longest thread in history!
Again, I sincerely hope this situation somehow works out for both parties.
Have a great weekend,
Bill
Old 02-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Fred

No Bill, this is only the 6th longest thread. About 40 more posts and it will crack the top 5. There's a long way to go to reach the number 1 spot.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Barry Sloate

The legendary NYC dinner thread sailed past 500 posts. And we had another that hit around 900, but I forget what cockamamie argument we got into on that one.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Wasn't there several years ago on the old site a very lengthy kind of stream of conscienceness thread that meandered from cards to rock music to politics and so on? Don't know where that one would have ranked.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
WTF Jeff?

417 posts in and NOW you decide to say something???

That's just piling on man!

Jim,

Sometimes it's better to just listen, er.....read.

Jeff

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Barry Sloate

Ken- that one sounds vaguely familiar but I don't remember the initial topic.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
The legendary NYC dinner thread sailed past 500 posts. And we had another that hit around 900, but I forget what cockamamie argument we got into on that one.
Didn't the "open letter to Chris Morales" thread, blow this one away in terms of length as well?
Old 02-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Bill Hedin

Default archives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko G View Post
Didn't the "open letter to Chris Morales" thread, blow this one away in terms of length as well?
Hi Friends,
I'm trying to navigate the archives but can't access this thread. Would some one send me a link to this?
I want to read it because of a problem in my area with COA's that are wrong and useless. There's a terrible plague of bad autographs that surfaced everywhere in my area. It's a real thorn in my side.
Thanks my dear friends,
Bill Hedin
bh3443
Old 02-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=89638

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Barry Sloate

Peter found the link. The Morales thread reached 805 posts. Is that our record? If I respond to post #805 do I establish a new world's record?
Old 02-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Bill Hedin

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Peter found the link. The Morales thread reached 805 posts. Is that our record? If I respond to post #805 do I establish a new world's record?
Thank you so much Peter and Barry. You are the best!

It's a very touch autograph fiasco going on in my immediate area. The COA's are from a gentleman who is no longer with us. Most of these generated from the same area where the Morales ones come from.

It's a very sad situation. Many people invested 10's of thousands of dollars and I feel bad that this greedy situation has occurred.

Thanks again!
Your Friend,
Bill
Old 02-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default New record

I believe this thread is the longest thread with no mention of Seinfeld or Monty Python.

Oops, I guess the record stops here.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I believe this thread is the longest thread with no mention of Seinfeld or Monty Python.

Oops, I guess the record stops here.

Rick
Rick, don't get em started, I was hoping all the bad Seinfeld quoting/youtube/etc had finally stopped!
Old 02-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Rich Klein

Default I remember that one

Thread about basically nothing that just took and became a Net 54 viral hit.

In the middle of that thread -- Leon and I agreed to go to lunch instead of just calling or sending emails -- that might have been the best non sequiter ever in the history of Net 54

Rich
Old 02-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Actually, it's redundant to say a new record is set or established. No need for the new. Any time a record is set, it's new. One of my pet peeves, committed by hack writers and talking heads (not that you're either, Barry).
Old 02-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Edward F.

what about the teapot thread on the old site?

Or the one about debate of Shoeless Joe picture on a T202?

Last edited by T205; 02-26-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default longest thread ever

The longest thread ever, on Net54baseball since inception, was

"An Open Letter To Christopher Morales and STAT Authentic"

....In Feb of 2008. It had 805 posts as Peter mentioned. We have a ways to go....

PS...this is new and old Net54 ...and the predecessor to it, the old Fullcount Baseball board, wouldn't have had any "close" to that long....

Last edited by Leon; 02-26-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Patrick N.

Default bump

bump
Old 02-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Fred

Cmonnow, only 29 more posts to break the "top 5" for number of posts. Is this thread going to make it? Hopefully not....
Old 02-26-2011, 09:28 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

It's been a few days since I've posted here. Let's make it 28 more to crack the top 5.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Jeff

Default another

I feel left out. This thread took hours to read. Interesting and painful to read all at the same time.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:54 AM
John V.

I'd be ashamed to keep this post going (guilty obviously) Get a life. NEXT. LET IT GO
Old 02-27-2011, 04:46 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Actually, it's redundant to say a new record is set or established. No need for the new. Any time a record is set, it's new. One of my pet peeves, committed by hack writers and talking heads (not that you're either, Barry).
Doesn't a new record supersede an old record? Yes, it's slightly redundant but you see it in print on a regular basis, so you can argue it's an accepted form. I could say the Beatles wrote "a new song", or I could say they wrote "a song" and you could assume by the context it's new. Either way works for me.

And of course we had the Joe Jackson thread. That was a whopper!

Last edited by barrysloate; 02-27-2011 at 04:47 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:56 AM
Bill Hedin

Default Chris Morales thread

Quote:
Doesn't a new record supersede an old record? Yes, it's slightly redundant but you see it in print on a regular basis, so you can argue it's an accepted form. I could say the Beatles wrote "a new song", or I could say they wrote "a song" and you could assume by the context it's new. Either way works for me.

And of course we had the Joe Jackson thread. That was a whopper!
Hi Barry,
I'm 1/2 way through the Morales thread. I really want to thank you and Peter for helping me locate this. The information in this archive file is very valuable in terms of what I am doing for a customer with those COA's.
If any of you can link me to the Joe Jackson or NY Dinner link they will occupy my up-coming week!
Thank you, me friends!
You are the best!
Bill
Old 02-27-2011, 06:28 AM
Barry Sloate

Hi Bill- great to see you posting every day! The Joe Jackson thread occurred last year; the NYC dinner thread was in 2007 (I think). But I don't ever use the search function, so somebody else should help you with this one.

Regards, Barry
Old 02-27-2011, 07:11 AM
Eric Shaeffer

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=124045=Joe Jax Thread
Old 02-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yes, it's slightly redundant but you see it in print on a regular basis, so you can argue it's an accepted form.
You also see things like "The card has had it's corners trimmed" on a regular basis, so I guess that's an accepted form, too.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:35 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
You also see things like "The card has had it's corners trimmed" on a regular basis, so I guess that's an accepted form, too.
Yes, but "it's" is not an accepted form.

Another redundancy: "What time is it now (as opposed to what time was it two hours ago)?"
Old 02-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Scott S

I hadn't chimed in yet, but have been following along. Just wanted to be a part of something special here if we break the top 5.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Peter Spaeth

Bill, if you click on "replies" or "views" to the top of the first thread on the main page, it will bring up all the greatest hits.