NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 05-21-2023, 04:22 AM
FredYoung

Thumbs up '72 Topps w/ Yellow Back?

Has anybody ever seen a '72 Topps card w/ a Yellow/Golden back? I have had this Dusty Baker card for many years, have lots of dupes to my set and this is the only one I have seen.

Anybody else have one--any player--w/ this color reverse?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 72bakera.jpg (136.5 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg 72bakerb.jpg (131.2 KB, 193 views)
Old 05-21-2023, 05:12 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Looks like it missed the Magenta color pass.

Oh, and you should ask Leon to move to Post war to 1980 section. You posted in the modern forum.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 05-21-2023 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:06 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

I have only seen yours, I have never, ever seen another one in the many I have looked at. And those have all been on-line.

B.T.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:53 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I've seen 2 or 3 others, I don't remember the players because it was at least 30 years ago. I do remember they were also high numbers and they were all from the same dealer.
Old 05-21-2023, 04:25 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I would take a 1972 card you care nothing about and leave it out in the sun (back side up, of course) to see if the color fades over time in the same Dusty Baker fashion.

If nothing else, it'll help give you an indication of whether or not hot plasma could've caused it to be so, or if Topps employees are to blame.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:34 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Looks like it missed the Magenta color pass.
Agree in full, missing a Magenta pass.

Not sure how many are out there, but at least a sheet full logically, lol. About 12 years ago a guy was talking about this on CU who had 3 in a raw set. Here’s an example of a Monday he had below.

Not super valuable unless it was someone a couple player collectors would fight over. But it’s a really neat oddity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 606003BA-ABFB-4012-8CDE-0BBBBCE6BAED.jpeg (183.3 KB, 125 views)

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 05-23-2023 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:52 AM
Steve Birmingham

I have a lot of doubt about there being any passes besides lack and the background color on any Topps Back until whenever they started doing color images on the back - 1992? *

I've seen scans of a yellow backed 1991 another member has, plus these few 72s.

But what I haven't seen is any card showing two background colors out of register, which would prove there were multiple color layers on the backs besides the background and he borders/text etc.

*The exception would be cards in the 68-71 range with the white backs which I think had a layer of white printed first before the two back colors.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:38 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I would have to dig in the archives to look for any registration back errors other than the common black. You have a point, but I have seen many wrong colors over the years although I do not have a perfect response for it off the top of the lid.

I have many wrong or missing color backs if I dig deep enough after 40 years of looking for this type of stuff. I'll try to remember this weekend to see if a registration issue is in there. I do not think this is a fading issue as mentioned prior. Perhaps, one of our printing experts can best describe the process used for back printing. As the orange is not a natural pure color for the printing process, could this be a byproduct of mixing the inks being affected by a low color if these are a single pass?

Here's a 64' wrong color that exhibits a similar yellow vs deep orange-

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 05-23-2023 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-23-2023, 10:35 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

And now I have seen a second one.

Thanks,

B.T.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 05-23-2023, 11:24 AM
Steve Birmingham

64 Topps should be a single pass.

Into the early 1980's, many things were printed with a sort of modified 4 color process, where some special colors were printed directly from hand mixed ink. One of the expensive parts of printing then was the color separation.
The card backs wouldn't have needed that, so they would have just been photographed, the plates made, and the colors mixed by the press operator.
There was a recipe for each color, so much of each thing, with bits of other colors to fine tune it.
For 64 Topps, there was probably a red, altered with white and maybe a touch of yellow and black to make the usual color.
It was possible to mix the color wrong, making it too light, or too dark, etc. But the various examples seem a bit more extreme than would have been acceptable as "about right"
There wouldn't be any reason to do two identical plates and keep the perfectly registered. It would make the cost nearly double, but you could save some by using the same mask to make the plates.
Knowing Topps, I can't see them keeping two things registered for a day or tww, let alone several years.

From the scans I'm not seeing any signs that would make me think it was a chemical change, like something spilled that bleached it a bit. Those things usually raise the paper fibers.

If the ink was made with colorants that weren't lightfast, it's possible red could fade but not the yellow that would basically be in the same ink.
I'm not sure I have an extra 72 or 64 I could leave out in a sunny spot for a while. I know I have extra 91s...
Old 05-23-2023, 11:43 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I’ve had a couple. I considered them damaged cards, like 67’s with a yellowy back, rather than a printing defect. Misaligned ink cards suggested to me there was one color pass and thus this wasn’t a missing ink.

But I’m an idiot, so maybe this was view was false.
Old 05-23-2023, 02:23 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Based on the input, I still am leaning toward a printing error in wrong ink, wrong ink mixture, or lazy printer ran out of something and had a timeline, lol.

I just can’t buy a fade as traditionally faded examples usually lose green and yellow most. There’s also absolutely no impact to the blue from sunlight either.

If Ben who is the absolute master can fake one, I’ll buy its sun fade. But I just think they are random print errors, not any sort of variation.

Old 05-25-2023, 03:52 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Based on the input, I still am leaning toward a printing error in wrong ink, wrong ink mixture, or lazy printer ran out of something and had a timeline, lol.

I just can’t buy a fade as traditionally faded examples usually lose green and yellow most. There’s also absolutely no impact to the blue from sunlight either.

If Ben who is the absolute master can fake one, I’ll buy its sun fade. But I just think they are random print errors, not any sort of variation.
All I know is I’d like to put one in my master(ish) set but doubt I ever will.

Cheers,

Butch