NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 03-05-2023, 04:08 PM
Mike

Default 1985 WWF Stickers: Topps vs. O-Pee-Chee

Hi all,

A couple weeks ago I submitted a batch of 1985 Topps WWF stickers and cards to PSA. I am 100% certain they are all Topps because they all came out of the same wax box I have owned for decades.

However, when I reviewed the order, I noticed PSA had all the stickers incorrectly listed as OPC, and the cards (correctly) as Topps. I submitted an error ticket and it was denied, and the stickers are STILL listed as OPC. I have put in a call but have not heard back yet.

From what I have seen/researched, OPC stickers have two asterisks in the card number circle, and Topps has one, but I have also seen stickers with one asterisk slabbed in an OPC labeled holder.

I have submitted two previous card/sticker orders to PSA before this with no problems.

My main questions are: Are there any other ways to tell an OPC sticker from a Topps one? And has anyone else had any issues like this with respect to PSA labels?

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2023, 05:50 PM

O-Pee-Chee has 1 star.

Topps has 2 stars.

Topps is much more common.

PSA might have got a few slabs wrong early on.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:00 AM
Mike

I see, thank you sthoemke.

I wonder if at some point they just used the same stock, because all the stickers from this box had one asterisk. I'll have to see what PSA says if/when they ever reply to my inquiry.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:33 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facilitypro View Post
I see, thank you sthoemke.

I wonder if at some point they just used the same stock, because all the stickers from this box had one asterisk. I'll have to see what PSA says if/when they ever reply to my inquiry.

I don’t think they would be as OPC were made out of one factory in London Ontario with all their other brands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2023, 11:41 AM
Steve Birmingham

Seems like PSA has no clue at all as usual.

The one they use to illustrate the "article" on the Topps set is graded as a Topps, but with one star.
Old 03-06-2023, 01:20 PM
Mike

I just got off the phone with PSA and basically they have no idea whats going on. The rep said they will get back to me as soon as they have an answer. My cards and stickers are currently in "Assembly" and the stickers are still labeled as OPC and cards as Topps.

And for reference here is the ended eBay auction with a sticker from the last submission I made, one asterisk and labeled as Topps (and came from a Topps box.)

And to further confuse things, I looked at the set registry galleries and there are a mix of * and ** cards labeled as Topps.

Last edited by Facilitypro; 03-06-2023 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-06-2023, 02:23 PM

I think PSA graded the stickers before they even realized there was an O-Pee-Chee set.

It might be possible that Topps printed the stickers for O-Pee-Chee and some were inserted into the Topps packages by mistake.
Old 03-08-2023, 08:57 AM
Robert J. Miller

I had the same thing happen to me recently. I had a Hulk Hogan sticker come back noted as OPC when I thought it was Topps.

I purchased about a 1,000 card lot from a friend who opened many boxes. They were all Topps cards but the stickers had both 1* and 2**. I posed this same question many months ago and if I remember correctly, the only responses I got was that the Topps stickers were printed both with 1* and 2**.

So, is it sure that Topps was 1* and OPC was 2**? I would love to know for sure so I can sell them marked correctly.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 03-08-2023, 03:31 PM
Mike

Thank you everyone! Based on all your comments, looking at PSA's set registry albums, and watching many videos of wax breaking 1985 WWF packs on youtube, I am pretty confident that Topps cards come with BOTH 1 and 2 star variations.

Perhaps the only way to tell would be if the card stock differs in thickness or something.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:24 AM
Mike

I finally heard back from PSA about this issue. They said (in part) the following:

Quote:
According to the research team, the difference between OPC and Topps for this specific set is that there is a slight gloss on the back of Topps stickers where the OPC is completely matte.
I hope this helps. And I'm not sure if there is any correlation between the asterisks and the gloss on the back. But if anyone here thinks they have mislabeled stickers, feel free to ask PSA to re-slab them, as I am sure they will. (They offered to re-slab my last order's sticker, but I already sold it.)
Old 04-12-2023, 12:04 PM
Robert J. Miller

Het thanks for this post. Now I need check mine.
Thanks,
Bob