NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-01-2020, 06:35 AM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default Converting GAIs to PSAs: Lessons Learned

It had been a while since I looked at my complete 1954 Topps baseball card set. Most of the commons are raw but most of the stars are graded. What I had forgotten was that all those years ago I had purchased six GAI-graded cards (four stars and two commons). Should I convert them to PSA slabs before auctioning off the set? In this month's blog I detail what I decided and what lessons I learned. Visit www.markearzoumanian.com to read about my experience.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:47 AM
P.aul Orl,in

thanks for writing this.

what happens if a card grades higher than your estimate and the value is higher? do they charge you more afterwards?

also, its not fair to compare current PSA grades to when your GAI grades were given. I think PSA would regrade many of their older graded cards 1-2 notches lower now.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:27 AM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default Good Question

The quick answer to your question is no. That's why I can't help but conclude that it makes sense to keep estimates low unless you need your graded cards ASAP and want to pay $75 per card or more. Maybe I'm missing something BUT we're not professional graders.
Your second point is very valid. It isn't fair. In a way you could say my recent experience reflects how any TPG has evolved since the 1990s.
Peace and stay healthy.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:47 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

PSA will upcharge you if there is a drastic difference between the submission level you selected and the SMR/APR value of the card as graded. If you submit at a $499 service level and the card is now worth $1,000 after grading, they will probably not upgrade your service level and charge you more. If it is now worth $2K or more, they will upgrade your service level so that your shipment is now insured (or self-insured) up to the $2K it's now worth if it gets damaged while in PSA's hands (slabbing/packing process) or damaged/lost in the mail. There was a case when they did not do this and a $3K card (Crosby rookie auto IIRC) was lost in the mail and they only were able to cover $499 in reimbursement.

This really hit the modern basketball crew this year, since the prices in that realm increased exponentially during the six months some of those cards were sitting at PSA in bulk submissions. Some cards were submitted at $99 service level that soon became $3-5K cards once they graded a 10. If PSA didn't upcharge the service level, those owners were praying that the package made it back to them safely. I guess you always have the option to put all your submissions on Shipping Holds, then you can confirm before they mail your package back that it's properly insured for the graded value.

So, as Dirty Harry would say, "Do you feel lucky, punk? Well, do ya?!"

You really only used to hear of it happening on stuff like Hall of Fame rookie cards pre-2018. But with their integration of SMR and APR (Auction Priced Realized) into their website and submission pages, they can easily spot cards which were submitted at a much lower level than they ended up grading at.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:56 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

On the original topic, back when I used to submit to PSA, I had a thread in the post-war section that showed my conversions from other slabs to PSA. None from GAI specifically, but it may be interesting to those reading this thread.
https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...ighlight=crack

Here's the sister thread over on Blowout:
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...7&postcount=45
The 1968 Mantle was graded on a second round as a PSA 6, IIRC.

"Some will argue PSA has a taint to it", huh? That's one way to minimize the issue of their INCOMPETENCE or FRAUD.

IMO, you should have bought a 6-card or 15-card PSA membership in order to save on your Regular submission costs for cards valued up to $499. Surely you could have found 1 or 10 more in your collection you wanted graded. You should have also evaluated the cards in your GAI slabs before you cracked them out (or even after) and tried to predict what PSA would grade them. Did any have surface wrinkles? Were any trimmed or recolored, and PSA didn't catch it? How would you calculate the centering?
People just starting out grading cards should be training themselves on how to grade to PSA standards, so they can save money or be more selective when buying raw cards. What flaws did these cards have that PSA noticed but GAI did not? Why no side by side pictures?

Your advice reads that if you just send any old card into PSA and *poof* it becomes more valuable when you go to sell. But on some of your cards, they would sell for more raw than graded a PSA 5.

I have read quite a few of your blog entries, but I think you can add even more information to them and make them even more useful for your target audience.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:37 AM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default Thanks for the Feedback

Points well taken. I appreciate it. I continue to learn lessons by posting my blogs! Always open to constructive criticism.
To be honest, I didn't even think to take photos and don't have expertise when it comes to posting them here. My two 1954 Williams cards made it tough to get PSA group rates because value of each was over $499 IMO. Also, it was the first time filling out the form on the internet versus the old multi-colored paper forms.
At this point in my life it's all about sharing and trying to help others in the hobby. Otherwise known as giving back. I will use a cliche, "If I helped one person here on Net54baseball, it was worth the effort." Warts and all.
Peace and stay healthy.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:03 AM
P.aul Orl,in

thanks, Mark and all, the advice is helpful.