NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-19-2020, 12:24 PM
Brock

Default 1927 Yankees

This baseball was posted to a Facebook group and supposedly is consigned to REA auctions for their November auction. Does anyone else think this looks like one of those replica balls? The ink and just the look of the ball just doesn’t look natural. Also based on the post REA don’t have the ball yet, so I’m guessing it hasn’t been looked at by the third party authenticator.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:26 PM
Brendan Mullen

Tough to see without the ball in hand, but almost every autograph on there....the ink looks like it’s bleeding. You typically don’t see that.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:05 PM
Jeff P0tter

That is most certainly a replica, the stampings always are a dead give away. I see them on etsy and eBay from time to time. A little digging and you could probably find the exact ball.
ebay: AuthenticTradingPost

http://www.ebay.com/str/jeffpotterautographs
Old 10-19-2020, 04:09 PM
Jeff P0tter

In fact, I just peeked on etsy, looks the same as this replica one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruthball.jpg (72.5 KB, 288 views)

Old 10-19-2020, 05:28 PM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
In fact, I just peeked on etsy, looks the same as this replica one?
I think it's different. The signatures on the flap above the Ruth are parallel to it in the original image, and perpendicular on this one.

I will say that the original ball looks like an authentic OAL to me, so if it's stamped, it looks like it's been stamped on an authentic ball. I could certainly be wrong, though.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:44 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Could it be that the signatures were stamped on flat panels and when stitching the ball together, the non-Ruth panel was rotated 180 degrees?

Would need to see the panels on both balls to tell.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 10-19-2020, 08:05 PM
Jeff P0tter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrow9 View Post
I think it's different. The signatures on the flap above the Ruth are parallel to it in the original image, and perpendicular on this one.

I will say that the original ball looks like an authentic OAL to me, so if it's stamped, it looks like it's been stamped on an authentic ball. I could certainly be wrong, though.
It's the exact same ball. They can just flip which signatures appear on what panel and also turn them during the printing process to make it seem different. You can see the side panel with the Lou Gehrig and the one above it is the exact same as well. It's really quite a shame these are out there everywhere and with so much in sales happening via scans online they get passed around way too much and too many folks losing big money on thinking they are real.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gehrigside.jpg (71.9 KB, 251 views)

Last edited by ATP; 10-19-2020 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:10 PM
Jeff P0tter

Here you can see they turned the signatures and used the same middle four and inserted different ones on top and bottom. They are still the exact same signature just cut and pasted into a printing program. Also you can tell by the way they curve onto the ball as they are printed on a round surface they just don't come out quite right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruthotherpanel.jpg (70.8 KB, 257 views)

Last edited by ATP; 10-19-2020 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:19 PM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
It's the exact same ball. They can just flip which signatures appear on what panel and also turn them during the printing process to make it seem different. You can see the side panel with the Lou Gehrig and the one above it is the exact same as well. It's really quite a shame these are out there everywhere and with so much in sales happening via scans online they get passed around way too much and too many folks losing big money on thinking they are real.
Crazy, I had no idea. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-07-2020, 03:18 AM

Default 1927 Yankees

Excellent detective work by JEFF. Indeed a "slam dunk" The first thing that caught my eye was Walter Beall on the ball he only pitched in one game in 1927 on May 30th and is the toughest autograph from the team. I've only seen one in my life and it was on his 1927 Yankees paycheck. Some of those made to order team balls (and single-signed) are so well done that it's almost impossible to detect them from scans alone.
Although I've never seen one in person I'm guessing that under magnification there would be "stress marks" from pen to leather and a black light might reveal some "tells" too. Again all a guess. But indeed another reason to be careful.

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Jim-Stinson...12095200701044

Autograph Updates
https://lp.constantcontactpages.com/...mStinsonSports
Old 11-07-2020, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Excellent detective work by JEFF. Indeed a "slam dunk" The first thing that caught my eye was Walter Beall on the ball he only pitched in one game in 1927 on May 30th and is the toughest autograph from the team. I've only seen one in my life and it was on his 1927 Yankees paycheck. Some of those made to order team balls (and single-signed) are so well done that it's almost impossible to detect them from scans alone.
Although I've never seen one in person I'm guessing that under magnification there would be "stress marks" from pen to leather and a black light might reveal some "tells" too. Again all a guess. But indeed another reason to be careful.

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Jim-Stinson...12095200701044

Autograph Updates
https://lp.constantcontactpages.com/...mStinsonSports
Jim Stinson checking in... Excellent!
net54's IQ just climbed even higher
I'm amazed at the collective knowledge on this board
Old 11-07-2020, 08:37 AM

Some other very easy giveaways that you're dealing with this type of reproduction/forgery:

--Look how flatly the signatures lay on the ball. Even when the ink is supposedly bold, there's an overall washed-out appearance. Absolutely zero oxidation of the ink which would have been haphazardly formed as part of the natural aging process. Outside of an odd signature placement switch, these balls are all so comedically uniform in their appearance.

--The white dimples of the leather pop out from under the signature. Funny how boldly they stand out, and how you don't see this with authentic examples. The sheer uniformity of the dots proves that all of the ink was applied with the same even pressure. All the pretty little dots. Guess we can call these "Dot Balls".

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 11-07-2020 at 08:46 AM.