NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-18-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japhi View Post
Those sales were "made" to pump the auction house, not the card IMO.. At 20% BP they only needed to pick up 5MM in additional consignments to get a positive ROI, even with the PSA 10 @ 200K. They likely picked up significantly more then that, the press on those sales was worth more then the value of the cards.

And I doubt the cards were paid for in the true sense of the word, it's generally understood they were "purchased" by investors in the auction house - Goldin raised something like 50MM prior to that auction. I'm guess these cards we some sort of 'in kind' transfer.

Either way, a whole bunch of BS, those sales were a joke when they happened and look even more ridiculous now.
Matt Landry
As a company we do not make it a habit to respond to every comment on various forum message boards, however this is an out of line statement, surprised you would make such a public claim.
Please note the following
1. the 2 Jordan PSA 10s sold in January were purchased by 2 different, extremely well known wealthy US businessmen. Both cards still reside in each of their collections, both of which are 8 figure collections. We wish we could disclose the winners, but unless they do themselves we take client confidentiality seriously.
2. Neither of the 2 individuals are shareholders or investors in Goldin Auctions.
3. Both transactions were quickly paid for.
Old 06-18-2021, 12:57 PM
Chase

There have been 58 sales of Jordan 10s according to VCP since Jan 2020, at which time and for the LONGEST time, this was a 40K card. The breakdown of the 58 sales is as follows:

ebay seller manontherock 2
REA 3
Probstein123 4
Single Sales by individual ebay sellers and auction houses 7
Heritage 8
PWCC or PWCC Vault 12 (excluding the example that just sold for 180K which is now gone from VCP)
Goldin 22
Old 06-18-2021, 03:31 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
There have been 58 sales of Jordan 10s according to VCP since Jan 2020, at which time and for the LONGEST time, this was a 40K card. The breakdown of the 58 sales is as follows:

ebay seller manontherock 2
REA 3
Probstein123 4
Single Sales by individual ebay sellers and auction houses 7
Heritage 8
PWCC or PWCC Vault 12 (excluding the example that just sold for 180K which is now gone from VCP)
Goldin 22
The fundamentals just were never there to me for this card in a PSA 10 to sell in the $700,000 Range. Now they’re selling under 300,000.

I’ve been saying this for months I don’t care what anyone says many sales in Jan-March were Fantasy.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:35 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
The fundamentals just were never there to me for this card in a PSA 10 to sell in the $700,000 Range. Now they’re selling under 300,000.

I’ve been saying this for months I don’t care what anyone says many sales in Jan-March were Fantasy.
It all felt manufactured/manipulated to me. It is not a 700K card nor is it a 300K card, imo. The 86 Jordan was not the only card which was selling for many multiples of what it had been in the previous year and most of those cards are coming back down to Earth too. I have to suspect there are some extraordinary paper losses mid June 2021 for the average collector.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:50 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
It all felt manufactured/manipulated to me. It is not a 700K card nor is it a 300K card, imo. The 86 Jordan was not the only card which was selling for many multiples of what it had been in the previous year and most of those cards are coming back down to Earth too. I have to suspect there are some extraordinary paper losses mid June 2021 for the average collector.
Maybe some people entered into the situation expecting to take a large short term loss to offset other short term gains?
Old 06-18-2021, 03:52 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Maybe some people entered into the situation expecting to take a large short term loss to offset other short term gains?
Agree it’s been my belief The Money Was Made on the Under Cards......Jordan’s a year or two later 87’s 88’s 89’s ect, onto, stickers,and mostly lower grades 7,8, and 9’s

Last edited by Johnny630; 06-18-2021 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:00 PM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldin Auctions View Post
Matt Landry
As a company we do not make it a habit to respond to every comment on various forum message boards, however this is an out of line statement, surprised you would make such a public claim.
Please note the following
1. the 2 Jordan PSA 10s sold in January were purchased by 2 different, extremely well known wealthy US businessmen. Both cards still reside in each of their collections, both of which are 8 figure collections. We wish we could disclose the winners, but unless they do themselves we take client confidentiality seriously.
2. Neither of the 2 individuals are shareholders or investors in Goldin Auctions.
3. Both transactions were quickly paid for.
Thanks for the response Ken. I deleted my original post and apologize.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:04 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Agree it’s been my belief The Money Was Made on the Under Cards......Jordan’s a year or two later 87’s 88’s 89’s ect, onto, stickers,and mostly lower grades 7,8, and 9’s

See goldin auctions. I believe they had 36 86 fleer jordans, including stickers, in ONE auction. Who would think that was a good idea?

Use common sense

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-18-2021, 04:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Why would wealthy, successful, presumably sophisticated businessmen pay sums for a card completely out of line with historical values and indeed any value to date? The card isn't even close to rare even in a 10, what were they thinking, or maybe in context it was chump change and they didn't care? It does seem a lot of people leave their senses and sophistication and critical thinking behind when it comes to cards.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-18-2021 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:27 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Why would wealthy, successful, presumably sophisticated businessmen pay sums for a card completely out of line with historical values and indeed any value to date? The card isn't even close to rare even in a 10, what were they thinking, or maybe in context it was chump change and they didn't care? It does seem a lot of people leave their senses and sophistication and critical thinking behind when it comes to cards.
I’m sure they were “advised” by someone with a reason to boost the values…
Old 06-18-2021, 05:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I think it could be as easy as some billionaires son seeing an MJ rookie on TikToc or something and telling the dad to buy it. Or any of a million other scenarios where folks who are smart don't make great decisions sometimes.
There are a lot of people with a lot of money nowadays, I just wish I was one of them. I think some gamblers gambled and lost and some made money. Not my gig....but to each their own.

Last edited by Leon; 06-18-2021 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
I’m sure they were “advised” by someone with a reason to boost the values…
If that happened, it would be far from the first time. I recall the guy a couple of years back who would ask Brent how high he should bid on cards Brent was selling. People just check their life skills and common sense at the door.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-18-2021 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1471997
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E4-M1h-AIXMAE3sk7.jpg (75.7 KB, 517 views)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-18-2021 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:49 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
What a Crock Of Sh&t.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
What a Crock Of Sh&t.
1984-ish.

Old 06-18-2021, 05:59 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Last edited by mechanicalman; 06-18-2021 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Meh
Old 06-18-2021, 06:23 PM
Brian

While it would be pretty hard to argue against bidding shenanigans happening in some cases...the market has also legitimately risen in tandem.

PSA 7 Julius Erving rookies are still selling for $1,800 and they aren't rare at all. I've been looking to buy them back after I sold my basketball stuff in one of the the 'run ups' before 2009. I thought I did great back then...lol. Win some lose some.

I don't know if I will ever buy that card back now, or the Alcindor rookie which is insanely high priced in every grade, and on multiple venues with legit sellers too. I don't know if a real widespread drop will ever come back. There will always be isolated crazy price swings....and there will always be some auctions that slip through the cracks somehow like there always have been.

If there is a widespread group eating the fees or price manipulating on PSA 6 Julius Erving rookies for $1,000 a pop...cut this guy a break...I would like one back at the old prices

It will take a seismic society altering event to stop the overall tide at this point. Its summer and everyone is out of the house now...and all those cards I want back haven't moved much at all in price.

Last edited by HistoricNewspapers; 06-18-2021 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricNewspapers View Post
While it would be pretty hard to argue against bidding shenanigans happening in some cases...the market has also legitimately risen in tandem.

PSA 7 Julius Erving rookies are still selling for $1,800 and they aren't rare at all. I've been looking to buy them back after I sold my basketball stuff in one of the the 'run ups' before 2009. I thought I did great back then...lol. Win some lose some.

I don't know if I will ever buy that card back now, or the Alcindor rookie which is insanely high priced in every grade, and on multiple venues with legit sellers too. I don't know if a real widespread drop will ever come back. There will always be isolated crazy price swings....and there will always be some auctions that slip through the cracks somehow like there always have been.

If there is a widespread group eating the fees or price manipulating on PSA 6 Julius Erving rookies for $1,000 a pop...cut this guy a break...I would like one back at the old prices

It will take a seismic society altering event to stop the overall tide at this point. Its summer and everyone is out of the house now...and all those cards I want back haven't moved much at all in price.
We must be looking at different cards. I am seeing "seismic" price drops.

Old 06-18-2021, 06:26 PM
Scott Russell

The cards you mention are both softening. Be patient. Also a large difference between $1800 on a card you feel should be worth $600 and $700,000 on a card many feel is worth $40k.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-18-2021, 06:30 PM
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
The cards you mention are both softening. Be patient. Also a large difference between $1800 on a card you feel should be worth $600 and $700,000 on a card many feel is worth $40k.

I agree those Jordan 10's were crazy sale prices. They probably got caught up in the hysteria on those.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:34 PM
Scott Russell

But I would argue that that hysteria (among others in other sports) is what lifted all the boats.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 06-18-2021 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:41 PM
Johnny MaZilli

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Bowman....m46890.l49286

I questioned this one big time.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny630 View Post
poof?
Old 06-18-2021, 06:45 PM
Matt

Hysterical crock regarding that ebay “glitch.” Does anyone really believe that? Guess some out there figured the final price was too low and now want a mulligan, so the price doesn’t make all those prior “sales” look like the puerile manipulation plays they were. And this collector doesn’t believe that AH post defending those Jordan sales for a second. These hustlers out there must think we all are uneducated or gullible or both. That said, I do believe many folks got swept up in the mania.

Last edited by MattyC; 06-18-2021 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:48 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Maybe the card or slab was bad......idk
Old 06-18-2021, 06:49 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
poof?
damn that was fast!

Old 06-18-2021, 06:57 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
damn that was fast!
It shows up on VCP along with the eBay app on my phone.

It was a 1952 Bowman SGC 7 Mantle That sold for $42,600 2/14/21 PWCC

Last edited by Johnny630; 06-18-2021 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Hysterical crock regarding that ebay “glitch.” Does anyone really believe that? Guess some out there figured the final price was too low and now want a mulligan, so the price doesn’t make all those prior “sales” look like the puerile manipulation plays they were. And this collector doesn’t believe that AH post defending those Jordan sales for a second. These hustlers out there must think we all are uneducated or gullible or both. That said, I do believe many folks got swept up in the mania.
According to the PSA website, one of the PSA 10s is in the number one registry set which belongs to someone who may be wealthy by some standards but is certainly not famous. I suppose it's possible he consigned it and still hasn't removed it from his registry set.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-18-2021 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:10 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
I think it could be as easy as some billionaires son seeing an MJ rookie on TikToc or something and telling the dad to buy it. Or any of a million other scenarios where folks who are smart don't make great decisions sometimes.
There are a lot of people with a lot of money nowadays, I just wish I was one of them. I think some gamblers gambled and lost and some made money. Not my gig....but to each their own.

TWO billionaires and they both just happened to settle on the same way out of whack price? Sure.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:58 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
TWO billionaires and they both just happened to settle on the same way out of whack price? Sure.
There have been so many confirmed shenanigans and lies in this hobby that I think we're conditioned to being skeptical of almost anything almost anyone says.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-19-2021 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:43 AM
Hank Thomas

Omg, that video.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:51 PM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

I just watched the whole video. I think Ken is fantastic. Very good for the hobby. Looking forward to the TV show.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:09 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed25 View Post
I just watched the whole video. I think Ken is fantastic. Very good for the hobby. Looking forward to the TV show.
I actually agree with this sentiment, although like so many others here none of this has anything to do with me. But it will come down to whether Ken Goldin ("...Ken Goldin, look at them cards that he holdin"--oh, no, it's the dreaded earworm!) is playing it straight, like Mr. Mint apparently did, or is manipulating the market like some other well-known former hobby icons. Every endeavor needs some colorful characters to give it some spice, and I wish Ken Goldin ("...Ken Goldin, look at...--oh, no, not again!!!!) all the success he can create for himself as long as he doesn't end up bringing another black eye to the hobby like so many of his predecessors from the P.T. Barnum school of marketing.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:03 AM
pete ullman

in the ken goldin rap...who is "rick" that is referred to?
Old 06-20-2021, 09:26 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
in the ken goldin rap...who is "rick" that is referred to?
The rap mentions Rick (Probstein) & Brent (Huegins) a few times
Old 06-20-2021, 11:16 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed25 View Post
I think you're referring the Bloomberg video from last week, right?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/video...et-class-video

I thought it was a great piece that goes over both vintage and modern cards and memorabilia, and how Ken started as a kid and eventually wound up running a massive auction house. While there's the money talk, it also shows how he enjoys the hobby and collecting (he says his prize piece is a Babe Ruth game used bat). He also tries to get the next generation interested in cards with the set breaks he does with his 7-year-old son on Instagram and other social media

Last edited by jerseygary; 06-20-2021 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added last sentence
Old 06-20-2021, 11:34 AM
Johnny MaZilli

The biggest thing I take away from this video is a lot of people now consider sports cards, specifically graded as an asset class, my how things have changed.

If the love of cards is Emotional to you, it is to me, I suggest not considering it an asset class I learned a long time ago never to mix emotions with investing leave that to something that is not of sentimental value to you.

Last edited by Johnny630; 06-20-2021 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:17 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
The rap mentions Rick (Probstein) & Brent (Huegins) a few times
interesting! I didn't catch the PWCC ref...but Rick Probstein is the only Rick I know. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2021, 01:58 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
There have been so many confirmed shenanigans and lies in this hobby that I think we're conditioned to being skeptical of almost anything almost anyone says.
Well, when the words are coming from a guy who literally told me he didn't care items in his first auction were bootlegs, yeah, I'm gonna be skeptical.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:02 AM
Brian May
Bri.an M@y

Any Net 54 members bidding heavy on this live stream box break?

WTF -

https://goldinauctions.com/1996_97_T...LOT101818.aspx
Old 07-06-2021, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
How has this site not had a thread about this?

https://youtu.be/CPiALa0CIMc
You know the lyric, now behold the beholder.

Brian (sorry, came across this photo on the GA website, and felt compelled to resurrect this thread from the dead)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kengoldinBarstoolfw.jpg (44.5 KB, 224 views)
Old 10-05-2021, 02:49 PM
Brian May
Bri.an M@y

Does anyone understand this nonsense that Goldin is auctioning?

https://goldinauctions.com/Honus_Wag...LOT118039.aspx
Old 10-05-2021, 02:59 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum97 View Post

Wtf?
Old 10-05-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
You know the lyric, now behold the beholder.

Brian (sorry, came across this photo on the GA website, and felt compelled to resurrect this thread from the dead)
The lyric has changed from "Ken Goldin, Ken Goldin, look at the cards that he's holdin'" to:

"Ken Goldin, Ken Goldin, look at the the NFT Pepe the Frog Wagner he's not holdin'".

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kengoldinBarstoolfw (1).jpg (44.5 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpeg kengoldinpepethefrogwagner.jpeg (13.7 KB, 128 views)
Old 10-05-2021, 03:59 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum97 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldin Auctions
...This NFT is one of 101 minted...
Right-click >> save as... Make that 102 "minted"!
Old 10-06-2021, 10:10 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I still don't know what an "NFT" is and don't care. I'll stick with cards.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:24 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Think of NFTs as fiat currency that is backed by the hopes and dreams of nerds who have read Atlas Shrugged.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
It is some fiction stuff that has some non fiction backing, or something like that. And you have to do block chain ethereum stuff to pay for it,.. Whatever they are there are 735 NFT sports cards on sale right now on the bay. Have at it.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Sport-Trading...hoCiEIQAvD_BwE

Last edited by Leon; 10-06-2021 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
It is some fiction stuff that has some non fiction backing, or something like that. And you have to do block chain ethereum stuff to pay for it,.. Whatever they are there are 735 NFT sports cards on sale right now on the bay. Have at it.
Free shipping or local pickup available on most of those listings.

Brian
Old 10-06-2021, 10:34 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
It's like buying a card and leaving it in the PWCC "Vault" except the vault doesn't actually exist.

Edit - typo

Last edited by BobbyStrawberry; 10-06-2021 at 10:34 AM.