NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 06-01-2021, 05:47 PM
John

Default Harry Greb

I'd be really interested in seeing any collectables anyone has of him. I just finished reading a book that focused on his 1919 "season" - needless to say he boxed a lot that year. The only collectable I've seen of him is his '48 Leaf and it doesn't even get his race correct. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but I'm guessing he wasn't that well remembered 20 years or so after his death, but in more modern times, he's gotten historians attention - I noticed the book I read wasn't the only one out there.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 06-01-2021 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 05:52 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

He has a W515, W551, W590 and a 1926 Spalding card. I think that's about it for somewhat mainstream card issues from his career. He's in the 91 Kayo, Victoria, Ideal, and All-World sets (about the last time there was much boxing in 1 year), Upper Deck did a very nice looking Goodwin card of him in 2012 that's worth nothing. I think he was in the 2010 Ringside cards too
Old 06-01-2021, 10:03 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanksAndSpartans View Post
I'd be really interested in seeing any collectables anyone has of him. I just finished reading a book that focused on his 1919 "season" - needless to say he boxed a lot that year. The only collectable I've seen of him is his '48 Leaf and it doesn't even get his race correct. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but I'm guessing he wasn't that well remembered 20 years or so after his death, but in more modern times, he's gotten historians attention - I noticed the book I read wasn't the only one out there.
I also read Springs Toledo's book on Greb. The book was outstanding, but I do wish it was a little bit longer.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Exhibits too

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-02-2021, 08:05 AM
Dave

A few things I found in my files that I likely no longer have. He's always had a pretty decent following of collectors, and not a ton of stuff out there considering how prolific he was, so his stuff usually gets snapped up pretty quickly.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:07 AM
Dave

A modern Japanese large card, or "bromide".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HarryGrebJapanWorldBoxingCardA18Jan07RSa021.jpg (73.7 KB, 143 views)
Old 06-02-2021, 08:34 AM
Brent

He has a nice Romeo y Julieta card as well.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:43 AM
John

Thanks Everyone! Dave, was counting on you to post something on the more obscure side and you came through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I also read Springs Toledo's book on Greb. The book was outstanding, but I do wish it was a little bit longer.
I agree - it's a pretty quick read, a lot of emphasis on 1919, obviously I guess as that was the point, but also a lot of emphasis on the Dempsey rivalry. I think it was more for the reader who already knew the highlights of Greb's career and that wasn't me.

I've started a thread after each Toledo book (Murderer's Row, Greb) and I just ordered a third.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 06-02-2021 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:57 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by butcher354435 View Post
He has a nice Romeo y Julieta card as well.
Scan please.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-02-2021, 11:45 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

He also has a true variation in his Leaf card that doesn’t seem to be from their terrible and inconsistent printing. His shirt is either light blue, white, or with the top left blue and the rest white. The blue in his pants is unaffected, looks like an intentional change (he’s not the only card like this). Not sure how many variations there actually are when you factor the grey and white stocks in.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:31 PM
Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Scan please.
Here you go Adam:

RyJ Harry Greb Front.jpg
RyJ Harry Greb Back.jpg
Old 06-02-2021, 05:42 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

The Pittsburgh Windmill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1929 (2).jpg (76.1 KB, 139 views)
Old 06-02-2021, 05:48 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Forgot the Edward Vela card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Greb.jpg (10.3 KB, 134 views)
Old 06-03-2021, 09:07 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanksAndSpartans View Post
Thanks Everyone! Dave, was counting on you to post something on the more obscure side and you came through.

I agree - it's a pretty quick read, a lot of emphasis on 1919, obviously I guess as that was the point, but also a lot of emphasis on the Dempsey rivalry. I think it was more for the reader who already knew the highlights of Greb's career and that wasn't me.

I've started a thread after each Toledo book (Murderer's Row, Greb) and I just ordered a third.
If you are looking for another fabulous boxing read, I strongly recommend Tris Dixon's new book "Damage: The Untold Story of Brain Trauma in Boxing." The book just came out last week, and I am about halfway finished. This is the best book I have read on any subject in quite a while.

Everyone who is a boxing fan knows the sad end for guys like Muhammad Ali, Jerry Quarry, Wilfred Benitez, etc.,and many fans also know the sad tales of old time guys like Battling Nelson and Ad Wolgast, but Dixon looks at the history of brain damaged fighters. So many of the fighters he discusses in the book, I never knew what happened to them after their career ended and how much they struggled.

Dixon also talked with trainers, managers, neurologists for the book.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-03-2021 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:23 AM
John

Jerry, nice display! I really like the books and cards together.

Eddie, thanks for the rec.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:45 AM
Amit

Default Gene Tunney Vs Harry Greb Early 1920's card

If you got to my store on ebay you can read the description of this set i discovered years ago that possibly is unpublished.

So if you wanted to see a rare card of Harry Greb then this may be the one.

I'm going to list the entire set individually with the hopes that PSA sees that this is a legit set and maybe convince them to grade it.

I'm relatively new to collecting boxing cards but am 61 and have been collecting anything and everything for most of my life.

At this point as Adam mentioned to me these cards are purely Speculative and or desirable for Type collectors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ebay photos461.jpg (72.2 KB, 91 views)
Old 06-19-2021, 11:12 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsdrillers View Post
If you got to my store on ebay you can read the description of this set i discovered years ago that possibly is unpublished.

So if you wanted to see a rare card of Harry Greb then this may be the one.

I'm going to list the entire set individually with the hopes that PSA sees that this is a legit set and maybe convince them to grade it.

I'm relatively new to collecting boxing cards but am 61 and have been collecting anything and everything for most of my life.

At this point as Adam mentioned to me these cards are purely Speculative and or desirable for Type collectors.

Wow, never seen that card. Awesome looking set, especially if it's from the era.

Love your eclectic listings on Ebay.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:29 AM
Amit

Thanks..i realize my pricing may be crazy but i tried to compare to cards from the same era of those boxers and of course took rarity into account.

How can one price cards that maybe only a handful were made and even fewer survived..not to mention the exceptional condition.
Those backboards preserved the cards well and they soak off easily in cold water.

Awesome looking cards..
Old 06-23-2021, 04:55 PM
Amit

Default Seldom Seen Masters of the Ring Greb Card

I love the cool graphics on these cards so thought i'd share Harry Greb's card.

The cutouts measure; 3 3/8 x 6 1/2 ".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ebay photos512.jpg (78.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg ebay photos513.jpg (85.0 KB, 50 views)