NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-01-2021, 06:16 PM
Mark

Default Help understanding psa grading

I usually don’t do too much with cards but I had this 33 Gehrig for a few years and noticed that they have to be graded to bring decent money I assume due to the number of reprints. I took it to psa at the national and it got a lower grade than I thought it would 1.5 fair. I looked at other cards with this grade and they have stains and are generally not attractive as mine. After comparing some I did notice mine is not centered well. Is that why the 1.5? Am I wrong in thinking it should have higher and in thinking many cards with same grade look worse?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 682C4881-A5DF-4B9E-8D16-0602F694DE53.jpg (15.8 KB, 487 views)
Old 08-01-2021, 06:18 PM
pete ullman

are those white spots paper loss? if so this is the main reason for the low grade...soft corners...off center.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:33 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

At that low of grade, the centering probably played very little part. If it was a PSA 4 and the rest of the card was PSA 8 worthy, you could chalk it up to centering. A Fair card would not be much higher with better centering.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:14 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

TPG's grading is inaccurate and not consistent being the personal opinion of the person employed by a TPG which means nothing ! Its a non regulated Industry that has no one to answer to, but still all the sheep waste their money getting cards graded

Last edited by rgpete; 08-01-2021 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:36 PM
Matt

Like Pete suggested, if those white spots are paper loss, the highest grade it would have received in my experiences would be a 2. Still good eye appeal and a good example why folks should buy the card and not the holder.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:24 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
Like Pete suggested, if those white spots are paper loss, the highest grade it would have received in my experiences would be a 2. Still good eye appeal and a good example why folks should buy the card and not the holder.
They will. That card should get a premium for the grade if put up for auction. If a BIN, I would ask a premium and more than likely get it.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:04 AM

Mine is a 1.5 too. Yours looks accurately graded:

Old 08-02-2021, 10:31 AM
J@RR0D

I would also say it was fairly graded. While it wouldn't be out of place in a 2 holder, I think 1.5 is an accurate grade. Those Goudey's color flakes off and it kills the grade.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:43 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
I would also say it was fairly graded. While it wouldn't be out of place in a 2 holder, I think 1.5 is an accurate grade. Those Goudey's color flakes off and it kills the grade.
And they have never been kind to paper loss. I know it's a matter or personal preference, but I rather have the off center one with paper loss, than the centered one with the big crease down it. But don't get me wrong....both of them are fine cards.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:46 AM

Big crease, huh? It was in a 1 holder. I've seen bigger creases and worse ones:

Last edited by packs; 08-02-2021 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:49 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Big crease, huh? It was in a 1 holder. I've seen bigger creases and worse ones.
Yes. The lower grades have tons more room for play than the higher grades.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:52 AM
Hank Thomas

I've never understood the PSA and other TPGs' scale at either ends. The lower end is much too loose, in my opinion--I always haul out the same example, in this case that pretty 1 Gehrig gets the exact same grade as one run over repeatedly by a tank in the mud. At the other end, if the human eye cannot detect any imperfections above a 4, what are the other six grades for? I'll tell you what they're for: to create a lucrative market at the high end for dealers and auction houses to satisfy their rich OCD clients' obsessions. And gosh, who do you think the TPGs get most of their business from (with big discounts for the quantities involved)? That's right, it's the dealers and auction houses that will take those artificial grades and make fortunes off them. Meanwhile, collectors now must get all their cards graded (at retail) and pay multiples for the same cards they were collecting before the TPGs came along. But hey, let's give credit where credit's due: what a great game these guys have created for themselves! One last blast: if you have a 10-point grading scale, shouldn't elementary mathematics suggest that the difference between each grade be approximately equal? The problem with that though, is that if everybody could distinguish with their own eyes between a 9 and a 10, or a 1 and a 2, or even a 5 and a 6, who needs the TPGS and their mystical behind-the-curtains magic? And that is the actual situation that existed in the card market until they managed to throw it over, whereby the P-Mint scale was easily grasped and more or less abided by collectors and dealers alike. Differences in opinion were worked out in the marketplace.

Last edited by Hankphenom; 08-02-2021 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:57 AM

I agree and I actually think the lower end grades are absurd in many ways. My card was obviously not in the worst condition it could be in.

The other night a 51 Bowman Mantle with a hole punch in it sold. This card was graded a 1. It had a hole punched into it. My card has a crease down the middle and it sits at the same grade as a card with a hole punched in it.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:00 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I agree and I actually think the lower end grades are absurd in many ways. My card was obviously not in the worst condition it could be in.

The other night a 51 Bowman Mantle with a hole punch in it sold. This card was graded a 1. It had a hole punched into it. My card has a crease down the middle and it sits at the same grade as a card with a hole punched in it.
Yep....I know......In my opinion, that is where TRUE value comes more into play. For '6's and '7's, everyone is so focused on VCP. No one wants to pay a huge premium, because you obviously can't tell a huge difference, unless centering is awful on one. Not so for the low grades. The nicer looking 1's and 2's WILL get bid up! Pinholes rule!!!!

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 08-02-2021 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:24 AM
Mark

After looking at graded 1s and 2 Ruth’s at the national I can see there is no rhyme or reason. A 33 ruth graded 1 at the front of the building was $12k. I think it was one of the big auction houses. I told the guy you have to be kidding. It looked like a “poor” . Others were $7500 - $8500. I am thinking about busting mine back out of the case, I don’t like the way it looks and I don’t like the identification as fair. As I stated I have not dealt in these and it still is confusing to me , albeit that it’s a fact, that a card graded the same number can have drastic difference in eye appeal. At least now I know for sure it’s authentic.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:41 AM

Default Anybody ?

Quote:
Mine is a 1.5 too. Yours looks accurately graded:

..mine was downgraded because half the printing on the back is absolute gibberish..

Old 08-02-2021, 11:47 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post

..mine was downgraded because half the printing on the back is absolute gibberish..

LOL...That's French!!! Look at all the Gehrig's!!!!
Old 08-02-2021, 02:08 PM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

I probably would hesitate to break it out now. It always could go down. You never know with TPG's and potentially could damage in the process. Nice card regardless of what you choose. Thomas
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 08-02-2021, 02:31 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
I've never understood the PSA and other TPGs' scale at either ends. The lower end is much too loose, in my opinion--I always haul out the same example, in this case that pretty 1 Gehrig gets the exact same grade as one run over repeatedly by a tank in the mud. At the other end, if the human eye cannot detect any imperfections above a 4, what are the other five grades for? I'll tell you what they're for: to create a lucrative market at the high end for dealers and auction houses to satisfy their rich OCD clients' obsessions. And gosh, who do you think the TPGs get most of their business from (with big discounts for the quantities involved)? That's right, it's the dealers and auction houses that will take those artificial grades and make fortunes off them. Meanwhile, collectors now must get all their cards graded (at retail) and pay multiples for the same cards they were collecting before the TPGs came along. But hey, let's give credit where credit's due: what a great game these guys have created for themselves! One last blast: if you have a 10-point grading scale, shouldn't elementary mathematics suggest that the difference between each grade be approximately equal? The problem with that though, is that if everybody could distinguish with their own eyes between a 9 and a 10, or a 1 and a 2, or even a 5 and a 6, who needs the TPGS and their mystical behind-the-curtains magic? And that is the actual situation that existed in the card market until they managed to throw it over, whereby the P-Mint scale was easily grasped and more or less abided by collectors and dealers alike. Differences in opinion were worked out in the marketplace.
Hank's post really sums up my beliefs as well. There's way to much variance across the lower grades (1 - 3). And it is way too minute between the higher grades (7 - 10). Their scale is ridiculous and makes no sense.

I would wholeheartedly support a TPG that administered even increments from 1 to 10, based on actual condition and eye-appeal. Or better yet, a TPG that simply slabs the card as authentic or not with no numerical grade, so the collector can determine for themselves. I really wish a service like this would come along.

Last edited by perezfan; 08-02-2021 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:43 PM
Jeremy W.

I would leave it in the PSA holder that it is currently in. When/if you go to sell, it will go for more than most "poor" cards.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:45 PM
Jeremy W.

I would leave it in the PSA holder that it is currently in. When/if you go to sell, it will go for more than most "poor" cards. Here's my WWG beater.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1933 WWG Gehrig A.jpg (74.2 KB, 168 views)
Old 08-02-2021, 02:46 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Hank's post really sums up my beliefs as well. There's way to much variance across the lower grades (1 - 3). And it is way too minute between the higher grades (7 - 10). Their scale is ridiculous and makes no sense.

I would wholeheartedly support a TPG that administered even increments from 1 to 10, based on actual condition and eye-appeal. Or better yet, a TPG that simply slabs the card as authentic or not with no numerical grade, so the collector can determine for themselves. I really wish a service like this would come along.
Exactly Correct Hank. Throw in Registries and Pop-Reports for more profits that people chase like crazy. Love them or Hate Them TPG's have a brilliant business.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:44 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Or better yet, a TPG that simply slabs the card as authentic or not with no numerical grade, so the collector can determine for themselves. I really wish a service like this would come along.
That would be a worthwhile service, assuming they could get it right. But if you can't judge for yourself what condition a card or autograph or anything else is in by looking at it--with a loupe or magnifying glass, if needed, you have no business collecting them. Just buy the beaters and you'll save yourself a lot of money.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:01 PM
Glyn Parson

Sorry but you were wrong to expect any higher grade than a 1.5 on that card.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:05 PM
Glyn Parson

It still
Amazes me how it always seems to be a few of the same clowns that don’t understand the difference between eye appeal and technical grade that chime in on these posts with their nonsense. Especially those that have been dealers for long enough that they shouldn’t be so damn ignorant. This card is a 1.5 don’t know why some of you aren’t willing to just tell the guy the truth and kiss his ass with oh there’s just too much variance blah blah blah. That’s a fair card. Sorry any one thinking that’s a nicer grade than that that’s why you aren’t a grader but a goofball bitching about grading on the internet.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:37 PM
Hank Thomas

Buy the card, not the holder. "Absolutely God Damn right," as Capt. Willard would say.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:17 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Fortunately, at least in vintage, eye appeal still matters most. In last month's PWCC premier auction, there was a 52 mantle 1.5 that sold for more than one in a 3.5 holder. And there was another one on eBay that sold for more than both of those that was in an Authentic holder a couple weeks ago. Grades help, but they're not the end all be all.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:55 PM
Mark

It’s interesting how these personalities come out in these posts even though there is nothing meant to be controversial. I understand now that a 1.5 in grading doesn’t equate to what I would consider a fair. In my work I do Pugh matrix to evaluate suppliers weighting characteristics in this case paper loss ( which I didn’t even realize I had) must carry a heavy weight. I learned a lot from the comments especially valuable to know the nasty people I would never deal with.