NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Banned

Default Unsolicited endorsement of Hake's Americana

Some of you know that since spring I've been selling a lifetime collection of a friend who is battling health issues. Some items have been listed on the B/S/T, and some have been consigned to various auction houses. As a longtime bidder in Hake's Americana & Collectibles auctions, I realized that this collection included a number of items (pinbacks, postcards, other memorabilia) that would be a good fit for their auctions.

My consignment experience with Hake's has been amazingly better than one can reasonably expect. Among the highlights:
  • Their response to questions via email or phone always has been within 24 hours and usually on the same business day. From beginning to end, their communication has been excellent. This might not seem like a big deal, but once you've dealt with an auction house owner who doesn't return phone messages and emails, you'll appreciate an AH that does it the right way.
  • Hake's welcomed input on how items should be grouped for the auction. Unlike a number of AH's that usually require items be grouped into large "collector grab bags," Hake's was willing to list individually items that I thought warranted it. And these items didn't bring four-figure bids. Some sold for a few hundred dollars, but had they been grouped in a larger lot, money would have been left on the table.
  • Hake's also was willing to adjust starting bids. Our opinions differed greatly on only two lots, and on each we were able to easily agree on a minimum bid.
  • Because of Hake's expertise with the items I consigned, I had no worries that key info would be left out of the descriptions. The two edits I did request were done on the website the same day.
  • In Hake's recent auction, I had 17 consignments. Fifteen sold, all but two at above the starting bids. Of the two lots that didn't sell, one surprised me but the other didn't, because it is a pretty obscure and thinly collected item. I have no problem with the two lots that sold for the minimum, because as mentioned, I was happy with the price we agreed to start them at.
  • The auction ended on Nov. 20, and yesterday (Dec. 12), I received a consignment check for five of the items that have been paid for. That's 16 business days. Unlike an auction house that can take up to three months to pay consignors, Hake's sends out consignment checks about every two weeks for items that have been paid for. This is another example of them taking on extra work to make the experience better for the consignor.

Apologies if this reads like an infomercial, and I'm sure there will be one or two responses from disgruntled bidders who at some point felt they were overcharged $5 by Hake's for shipping. But during a time in our hobby when there seems to be more auction houses doing things the wrong way rather than the right, I think this positive experience deserved to be shared.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Phil Garry

Agree 100% with Rob, I have been very satisfied with Hake's from both a consignment standpoint as well as a buyer of many of the Negro League items formerly part of the famed Richard Merkin collection.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Dan Bretta

Never consigned with them, but have had no problems bidding and buying from them.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:04 PM
qu@n nguy3n

wait, consider the source tho...rob, aren't you supposedly worse than a convicted felon? #smiley #sarcasm #emoji #hakesiscool
Old 12-13-2013, 06:21 PM
David McDonald

I visited the Hake's office in York PA on my way up to Matty's gravesite in Lewisburg following the 2012 Baltimore National in order to pick up the Billikens I won in their auction. I was given a quick tour by Heather, a most pleasant woman, who is the Office Manager and was very impressed with the layout of the facility and the display of Americana on the walls. What most impressed me was the vibe of the place - very serene and none of that masters of the universe humbug that some of the other AHs reek of. The building is right across the street from a state prison complete with razor wire and guardtowers but I don't think that has anything to do with why they are an honest auction house. I have won items in three or four of their auctions and each time every aspect of the transaction has been first rate. Would that some of the other AHs adopt the Hakes m.o.