NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Brian Wolf

Default Advice sought

Hi all --

I was hoping to tap into the collective wisdom of Net 54 for some advice. I am a long-time collector; but, am somewhat new to the process of acquiring cards via catalog auction. I recently was the successful bidder for a 1957 Topps set that was advertised as being in (on average) VGEX condition. I received the set a couple of days ago and while very few of the cards had creasing or other noticeable wear that you might expect to see with a VGEX grade, nearly all of the cards seemed to have lost most or all of their gloss and have an ever so slight stickiness to them as a result of being in plastic pages that appear to be less than the caliber of the ultra-pro pages of which I am mostly familiar. When you remove a card, you can even see what look like oil marks inside the slot on the page that formerly housed the card.

I am not sure whether the cards' condition warrants a complaint to the auction house; on one had, the cards have little to no creasing and visually look VGEX or better; on the other, they all seem to have damage -- that was not described in the listing -- that could cause them to have a materially lower grade than VGEX.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts on the matter the Board might have.

Thanks -

Brian

Old 09-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default post war....

I realize this is a post war situation but the question is more geared towards how to handle a situation. I figure the main board will get a few more looks for the original poster. Just trying to help a board member....best regards

Last edited by Leon; 09-03-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

If this damage is widespread throughout the group and was not mentioned, you have a legitimate complaint.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Barry Sloate

You certainly have a right to discuss it with the auction house, but keep it friendly if you can. Buying raw, especially a set where the majority of cards aren't pictured, is a gamble.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
You certainly have a right to discuss it with the auction house, but keep it friendly if you can. Buying raw, especially a set where the majority of cards aren't pictured, is a gamble.

True, but if there is a particular type of damage across the set, it should be disclosed.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Barry Sloate

It absolutely should have been disclosed, Peter, but they are past that point now.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Agree with what was said above, try to work it out with the auction house, I would go into that conversation with an idea of what you expect or are looking to get out of them. Are you looking for a return or a discount?

Because of the non disclosure I think you are correct to bring this to their attention.

Please let the board know the results and the auction house in question when its finished. Its a huge value to many of us to know how each auction house handles situatitions like this.

Good Luck!

Last edited by smtjoy; 09-03-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Brian Wolf

Default Follow-up

Thanks to all for the feedback -- I just contacted the auction house and described the problem. We mutually agreed that the best solution would be for me to return the cards. I will keep the board posted on how quickly I receive a refund or if, for some reason, I do not.

The auction house in question is Memory Lane.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Good result, and good customer service by ML.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Barry Sloate

They did the right thing. Good customer service.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Brian Wolf

Default Follow-up on Memory Lane

I just wanted to follow-up to say that I returned my cards to Memory Lane and received a prompt refund.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Paul

Default Memory Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf2039 View Post
I just wanted to follow-up to say that I returned my cards to Memory Lane and received a prompt refund.
Mental note: Memory Lane is a Class Act

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 09-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Nice to hear that an auction house did the right thing. Glad it worked out.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:30 AM

Nice to hear about a quick, easy and fair resolution. Kudos to ML for not making it difficult.
JimB
Old 09-28-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Mental note: Memory Lane is a Class Act

+1

Thanks for calling this to our attention. I am making a note that in the future when I buy a set of cards in sheets from any auction house or even on ebay, to always inquire before bidding about the possibility of "plastic leekage" from the sheets onto the cards.

Last edited by tbob; 09-28-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Barry Arnold

Default ML

great news!!!!

all the best,
barry
Old 09-29-2010, 04:00 AM

Brian

Thanks for the information. As other members have said, helps me to see how auction houses resolve any issues such as these.

Frank
Old 09-29-2010, 05:06 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Memory Lane isn't just classy -- they're suave as well.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:12 AM
Barry Sloate

Blue Velvet is a great flick.