NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Default OT TBS coverage of ALDS

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I know the Red Sox go west to play the Angels. And I know that the Indians go east to play the Yankees. So we have an east coast game, and a west coast game. Seems obvious that the Yankees would play the Tirbe late afternoon, then the Sox play the Halos later tonight. Logical to me, but not to TBS.

I imagine TBS is fuming that the Yankees are a game away from elimination. To them it is all about market share and money. They want the Yankees in prime time, even if it makes the Angels play while some of their fans are still on their way home from church... This "Yankees in prime time" nonsense makes me hope the Indians win tonight. Just so TBS can't have them in prime time any more.

Fox has done the same thing in past years... and if the Yankees come back and make it to the ALCS, they'll be playing the night games no matter what.

Oh for the good ol' days, when they played the games one after another, in the daytime. Folks walking around with transistor radios. TVs on in study halls, businesses, offices... The cool days of autumn, a few leaves blowing across the sidewalk, and whoever you met knew the score within an inning or two past. Traveling was done at night. Baseball was more important than prime time, market share, ratings, and all.

Grrr.....

Old 10-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Some of my fondest, earliest, memories of baseball for me was sitting in the front yard with our next door neighbor (I was 6-7 at the time, in about 1967-68) and he was a teacher, I believe. We would eat sunflower seeds and listen to the Astros on the radio.....the good ole days....

Old 10-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

"Oh for the good ol' days, when they played the games one after another, in the daytime. Folks walking around with transistor radios. TVs on in study halls, businesses, offices... The cool days of autumn, a few leaves blowing across the sidewalk, and whoever you met knew the score within an inning or two past. Traveling was done at night. Baseball was more important than prime time, market share, ratings, and all".

Frank -
Sad but true. Baseball has become exactly what you just stated.
The true fan will never see the game again like you wrote above.
Nicely said my friend.

Tony

Old 10-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

I'm just happy to watch post-season baseball on a station other than Fox. No space age graphics, explosions and sound effects during the broadcast, and best of all, no Jack Buck and Tim McCarver ...

Old 10-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

well at least it's still free. (i know we pay for cable).

Old 10-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

"Oh for the good ol' days, when they played the games one after another, in the daytime. Folks walking around with transistor radios. TVs on in study halls, businesses, offices... The cool days of autumn, a few leaves blowing across the sidewalk, and whoever you met knew the score within an inning or two past. Traveling was done at night. Baseball was more important than prime time, market share, ratings, and all."

More people get to see the games if they are played at night. People that want to go back to the "good old days" would rather have 50 million people miss the games and only 20 million catch them live? Sure, its all about money, but where is the money coming from? Its coming from more people actually being able to see the games on TV. That is good. It is better than the so-called "good old days".

Old 10-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

You hit it on the head Frank.

How would TBS like a Diamondbacks v. Indians series?

The thing that annoys me most about the series is the broadcasting itself and how everything is about graphics, close ups of fan reactions (why do we have to shoot it like we're Bergman?), mall punk themed montages and when it came to Fox, the promoting of a crappy TV series where the actors of the show just so happen to be in the stands!

And Craig Sager's jacket choices.

I love watching Classic Baseball games with block lettering scores, a few cameras and pull over knit jerseys. I just watched the Game Two of the 1979 World Series (on DVD) and it took me back...

DJ

Old 10-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: sagard

I don't get TBS in HD so I feel the coverage has taken a major step backwards.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

comcast just added tbs in HD this week,you might have it and not know. i said the same thing and a friend told me the channel #.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Steinbreener threatened to fire Joe Torre, if he didn't win the Cleveland Indians series. Maybe Joe is too laid back to manage the Yankees.

Peter C.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Time Warner added TBS in HD just this past week also...I'm rather enjoying the games on TBS.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Administrator

I agree about the sound effects, explosions, and the like. It seems that when it it time to get back to play by play, Fox doesn't, instead they 'explode' to a desk where 2 people talk about going back to the game, or race, or whatever...

I recall back when Fox carried some games, and how the announcer seemed to subliminally voice displeasure at having to plug some TV show that Fox was promoting. They all do it now. It seemed shameless at the time, and still in bad taste to me, now.

I'd like to see them go back to day games for the WS, and I know it won't happen. But maybe they could have games 2, 4, and 6 at night, the others in the daytime... just for tradition. I think folks would modify their daytime lives a bit to keep track of the WS, but maybe I'm mistaken. I know we used to...

Old 10-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

i am a yankee fan...BUT, i have to take my hat off to the red sox...did anyone see this 8th inning? and what about shilling? scary stuff, when they are firing on all cylinders...

let's see how the yanks do tonight...3 in a row will be tuff...

Old 10-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

The ALCS will all be on FOX and the NLCS will be on TBS but once they reach the World Series FOX has every game. So dont get too used to not hearing Tim McCarver,hes lurking somewhere, ready to make an idiot of himself every chance he gets

Old 10-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

I'll gladly take Tim McCarver as long as Jim Grey never gets in front of a mic again.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

Maybe Joe is too laid back to manage the Yankees.

Excellent point. The Yankees certainly have struggled ever since Torre took the reins.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

ANTHONY

My sentiments, too....I'll take FOX and Tim McCarver any day and any nite over this TBS coverage. In my area
they have been intermittently blanking-out.

And, we went away this weekend to attend my 50th High School Reunion, and the hotel (big name type) did not
even carry TBS on their cable.

TED Z

Old 10-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Actually, Rob, I'd have to agree with Peter on this one. Joe was a very in-your-face sort of skipper up until that time in 2001 when Rivera threw that pitch to Gonzalez and the Dbacks won the Series. He became very laid back while the pitch was in mid-flight -- and of course disaster has struck since then after winning those 4 WS and getting the Yankees to the postseason every year he's managed.

Edited to add <---- note double smiley

Old 10-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Administrator

I like to think I'm a big enough man to admit I'm wrong: I stand corrected.

But what's the idea of omitting the double smiley faces when you're addressing me? You tryin' to start something?

Old 10-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: howard

A monkey with a lobotomy could have won four championships with the Yankees over the past twelve seasons.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Jeff -
You have to admit, that 2001 World Series, even though your Yanks lost
and My D-Backs won, had to be one of the most exciting World Series
in history. It seemed that every game had it's own theatrical ending.
To Kim's meltdown on the mound,(twice), to those damn scrappy Yankee hitters in the 9th,
to Randy Johnson coming out of the bull pen in game 7 to get the win, to Rivera's mystique
of being unhittable, finally coming to an end when Gonzales did the unthinkable in that last
historic game. Man that was a fabulous series!!!!!!!!
<<< Couldn't resist the smileys, sorry.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Tony, I'm not a Yankees fan so I can see what you are saying clearly -- and I agree 100%. One of the greatest World Series ever.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Howard, I don't know about that. At the very least a monkey with a lobotomy could have made the postseason this year with the Mets' roster.

Rob, what on earth are you talking about? Perhaps you should take another look.

Edited to add <---- note double smiley (doesn't that make everything better?)

Old 10-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Old 10-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

The game's on TNT... now it's on TBS... we're going back to TNT. Argh.

Any game that Tim McCarver isn't doing means I don't have to use the mute button, so I won't complain about Steve Stone, Tony Gwynn, et al. The announcers doing the Yankees game do seem a bit happy about the Yankees comeback, but at least it isn't that stooge Joe Buck with McCarver straining the obvious next to him ("catchers are very smart people...").

Torre can get fired... so what? Managing a major league baseball team is about as challenging as taking tolls on the freeway. If Steinbrenner thinks Guidry or Mattingly or Joe Girardi is more qualified, he's dumber than I think he is.

Bill

Old 10-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Jeff -
My apologies.
I forgot your a Mets fan.
Just wanted to spare you of hearing that name again this year.
<<<<-- Thought I'd confuse you and go with a double wink this time....

Old 10-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Administrator

I have to say that as a Mets fan my respect for their trio of broadcasters --Ron Darling, Keith Hernandez and Gary Cohen -- has grown in leaps and bounds after watching this postseason thus far.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

Speaking of atrocious baseball announcers, the worst of them all has his own dedicated criticism site: http://www.firejoemorgan.com/, where stupid commentary gets what it deserves.

Oops - gotta go watch Ronan Tynan add another 30 minutes to the Yankees game.

Bill

Old 10-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: William Brumbach

I heard this past week that a lot of the logic behind the scheduling of the games was to squeeze stuff around NFL games. Everyone will complain about baseball games being on too late this or too early that but you could put a Lions/Cardinals game on at 2:00 AM and everyone would watch it with few complaints probably.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Here ya go Bill.I like this site much better...

http://www.shutuptimmccarver.com/

Old 10-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Administrator

So Steinbrenner is going to can Joe Torre and then hire Tony LaRussa... wait and see. And then in about 10 years both will be in the Hall.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

To your comment........"I'm not a Yankees fan so I can see what you are saying clearly -- and I agree 100%. One of the
greatest World Series ever."

But, you are a rare Mets fan with sanity....most Mets fans "loathe" the Yankees. Conversely, many of us Yankee fans will
root for the Mets to win (unless they are playing the Yankees).

And, if you want to see one of the greatest World Series....get a video of the 1947 Yankees vs Dodgers....all 7 games are
the most exciting in WS play....ever.

TED Z

Old 10-09-2007, 06:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

Ted Z.

1947 was a wee bit early for me.  My favorite World Series was also the very first I watched from beginning to end.  1975 - Reds vs Red Sox.  My Dad let me stay up past my bedtime to watch Game 6 and I thank every day for that.

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com