NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 11-25-2021, 09:41 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

My Wife is a pharmacist, my Daughter is a pharmacist in the emergency room of a hospital, my Uncle and Cousin are both Doctor's and my very good friend worked for Pfizer (involved with vaccines) for 25 years. Getting vaccinated was an easy decision based upon their input.

I wonder if a few of the almost 49,000,000 people in the USA that have had COVID and even more of the almost 800,000 people who have died from COVID would like a chance at the vaccine now? Based on my Daughter's actual experiences in the ER...the answer is YES!

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Jeff

Last edited by ibuysportsephemera; 11-25-2021 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:58 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I would rate discussing Covid the same as talking politics, religion, or having some crazy loser that won't shut up telling you how bigfoot is real. Still way better than another PWCC thread or the best lefty thread.
You should have taken your own advise then before posting earlier and reviving this thread.
Old 11-26-2021, 04:15 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Warren Spahn
Old 11-26-2021, 05:49 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
Warren Spahn
I agree and I have a killer Spahn card. Plus your answer is shorter then the Epic of Gilgamesh long posts many made.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:21 AM
John P0we11

No. Anybody who can’t see this thing for what it is is blind. These are not vaccines, they are gene therapy injections with a spike protein that is going to end up causing immeasurable long term health issues and death. Your body’s T-Cells are reduced 30% each jab - three jabs or boosters and you have no immune system left.....none. The “vaccines” were made for the alpha strain and are already ineffective, the booster shots increase your count of Alpha strain spike protein production. That's training your body to produce outdated antibodies which will cause a non-neutralising but binding response to wild type spike protein, and will increase the quantity of antibodies with each booster shot but not the quality of antibodies. The absolute BEST thing that we can do is look after our own bodies, meaning prioritizing our health and our natural immune systems. Avoid garbage, processed foods and drugs. If possible, grow your own vegetables and hunt for your meat. Stay fit and active. Supplement with vitamin D, C, zinc, and quercetin.

I have been around this thing since day one. I’m not in the medical field, but am a subcontractor with a 95% workload at a large hospital. Everybody in my household has tested positive at one point or another in the past year except me. My 76 year old mother has it right now. I sat with her for two hours last night at her place because she was lonely due to her quarantine and not being able to go out. The fear that the MSM has pushed on us is far worse than the virus itself. There’s nothing special about this thing. Ask yourself why the media hasn’t even mentioned natural antibodies or offered us ways to boost our immune systems and get fit, strong and healthy so that we don’t get sick in the first place? It’s all fear, vaccines, fear, and more jabs. This whole thing is a massive transfer of wealth.....follow the money and see who’s pockets are getting deeper right now. All that said , I am not anti vaccine. If you want to take the jab, that’s your personal choice but those of us who do not wish to take it should have that choice (without reprocussions) as well.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:36 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville_Hugger View Post
Ask yourself why the media hasn’t even mentioned natural antibodies or offered us ways to boost our immune systems...
I'll take a shot at it. Is it because the media is in bed with the vaccine makers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5z4KRvWtEs
Old 12-03-2021, 09:45 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (12.1 KB, 328 views)
Old 12-03-2021, 01:00 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisville_hugger View Post
i’m not in the medical field
🆗
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 12-03-2021, 01:20 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
I would rate discussing Covid the same as talking politics, religion, or having some crazy loser that won't shut up telling you how bigfoot is real. Still way better than another PWCC thread or the best lefty thread.
Hey now! Leave poor bigfoot out of this.
Between the pandemic and people not looking for him the number of subs etc abandoned in a panic by people spotting him is WAY down... So much so that he's had to resort to selling his lefty cards through PWCC...
Old 12-03-2021, 01:33 PM
John

What!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2021, 03:37 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Hey now! Leave poor bigfoot out of this.
Between the pandemic and people not looking for him the number of subs etc abandoned in a panic by people spotting him is WAY down... So much so that he's had to resort to selling his lefty cards through PWCC...
I have always wanted to go to one of the many BigFoot museums. I think they would be fun to go through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles70 View Post
What!

Nice pic of Bob in a costume.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:52 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Nice pic of Bob in a costume.
I think that's Theo Epstein leaving Fenway on Halloween 2005.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:25 PM
John P0we11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I'll take a shot at it. Is it because the media is in bed with the vaccine makers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5z4KRvWtEs
It absolutely blows my mind how many people have fallen for this.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:26 PM
John P0we11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
🆗
Your point?
Old 12-03-2021, 09:10 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I think I found Bigfoot, first where do I collect the reward?

It's the JonStats guy on Ebay. Look at image #2 in this listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38445823356...AAAOSw73xhcYQd
Old 12-03-2021, 10:18 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
What!

My 8yo son is a believer after he saw those stupid chasing bigfoot shows on Discovery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 12-03-2021, 10:25 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
My 8yo son is a believer after he saw those stupid chasing bigfoot shows on Discovery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I’d like to have Bigfoot’s mileage points. Dude travels all across the USA on a regular basis just to let people get a ‘glimpse’ of him.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:27 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
What!

Why do they call this creature Bigfoot instead of BigButt?
Old 12-04-2021, 05:38 AM
D@le Irv*n

And, we broke a 1,000 yesterday, and just a couple/few weeks ago we were below 400 despite the fact we are approaching an 88% vaccination rate.

Ontario reports more than 1,000 new COVID-19 cases for first time in six months.78
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-r...85EOv_Rqc6g630
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coooviid2.jpg (60.2 KB, 284 views)
Old 12-04-2021, 06:39 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
And, we broke a 1,000 yesterday, and just a couple/few weeks ago we were below 400 despite the fact we are approaching an 88% vaccination rate.

Ontario reports more than 1,000 new COVID-19 cases for first time in six months.78
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-r...85EOv_Rqc6g630
Yep that is exactly how vaccines work. It is how we eradicated the flu.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:02 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Yep that is exactly how vaccines work. It is how we eradicated the flu.
They're awesome vaccines! I honestly don't understand the vaccine hesitancy??

499 fully vaccinated cases today and 469 in the unvaccinated. Sure makes one want to rush out and get these jabs!!

And, like anyone with a brain could see, the number of vaccinated cases in the ICU is also closing the gap on the unvaccinated.

It's amazing that some still advocate and endorse these vaccines despite these numbers.

""The number of new COVID-19 cases in Ontario continue to grow, reaching the highest total since May 30""

""The number of active cases went up to 7,540""

https://www.durhamradionews.com/archives/148290
Old 12-04-2021, 09:45 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:

499 fully vaccinated cases today and 469 in the unvaccinated. Sure makes one want to rush out and get these jabs!!

And, like anyone with a brain could see, the number of vaccinated cases in the ICU is also closing the gap on the unvaccinated.

It's amazing that some still advocate and endorse these vaccines despite these numbers.

""The number of new COVID-19 cases in Ontario continue to grow, reaching the highest total since May 30""

I wish you good luck without it and I mean that.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:50 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

It's funny to me how people come to this thread consistently to try to prove that the vaccines don't work. It seems to me that they are trying to convince themselves that they are doing the right thing. Is it important to you to get validation from other anti-vaxxers? I just don't get it?

BTW, my friend who I mentioned earlier is still on a vent (almost a month later) and is still in dire condition.

Jeff G.

Last edited by ibuysportsephemera; 12-04-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:34 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville_Hugger View Post
Your point?
You said, and I quote, "I’m not in the medical field, but am a subcontractor with a 95% workload at a large hospital."

If you aren't in the medical field, then the fact that you work in a hospital lends about as much credibility to your opinion as the guy that stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night. For all we know, you work for the company that the janitorial services were outsourced to.

I'm not particularly interested in an argument, but given the choice between scientists who have made their life's work to understand infectious disease and someone who does records transcription or computer help desk work, I'll chose the scientists.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:33 PM
Todd Schultz

If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 12-04-2021 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:51 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
I wish you good luck without it and I mean that.
Thank you, and I mean that as well, but can you tell me what will happen to me if I don't get the jabs?

I'm 57, not obese and have no underlying health issues (comorbidities). I eat healthy, take vitamin D+3 and vitamin C with zinc daily. My exercise regime could improve but other than that I am in pretty good health.

With a 99% recovery rating, (if I ever contract it), I'll take my odds rather than have an experimental, first time ever used, with no long term side affect studies, and zero proof it actually works, vaccine injected into me.

Like I said earlier in this thread, we have all been brainwashed, coerced, fooled, manipulated into believing this nonsense because fear sells and that is what we have been sold.
Call me a conspiracy theorist, I don't care, but the shit I have seen to date regarding this whole pandemic and the vaccines, leads me to believe this isn't about covid nor the vaccines at all. It is about control.

We've gone from masks don't work to wear 2, from 2 weeks to flatten the curve, to once we have vaccines, to once 70% of the population is vaccinated, to once 80%, to once 90% and now to passports and mandates. In my opinion, it is never going to end as long as we keep buying in.

The stupidity of it all is all around us but yet it seems many are blind to that fact because their T.V. screens don't talk about it, nor do they talk about all the doctors, nurses, scientists and other medical professionals, (or yesterdays hero's) that also are against these vaccines. It goes on and on and on and on........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cooovvid4.jpg (34.3 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg coovidd74.jpg (63.6 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg covvidd.jpg (33.4 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg coovvid3.jpg (80.2 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg coviddd1.jpg (75.6 KB, 245 views)
Old 12-05-2021, 06:02 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
It's funny to me how people come to this thread consistently to try to prove that the vaccines don't work. It seems to me that they are trying to convince themselves that they are doing the right thing. Is it important to you to get validation from other anti-vaxxers? I just don't get it?

BTW, my friend who I mentioned earlier is still on a vent (almost a month later) and is still in dire condition.

Jeff G.
What's even funnier are people that are told, and can see that numbers are going up DESPITE the vaccine supposedly working, and they STILL live in their delusional "everything I'm being told by the media and government must be 100% correct, and I blindly follow and question nothing despite obvious and glaring contradictions" world.

But yeah, it's the "anti-vaxxers" that are trying to convince themselves lol
Old 12-05-2021, 06:58 AM
Ben North

If you think this is all a big government plan to control you, you have WAY bigger problems than Covid.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:36 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
If you think this is all a big government plan to control you, you have WAY bigger problems than Covid.
You might want to educate yourself first on globalization, agenda 2030 or the great reset, Ben, before you start throwing out insults.
If you don't think this is political, but rather about your health and well being, you haven't been paying attention.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/our...t-great-reset/
https://www.weforum.org/great-reset/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Reset
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2fp0Jeyjvw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz--5LTTmaM
Old 12-05-2021, 07:38 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
What's even funnier are people that are told, and can see that numbers are going up DESPITE the vaccine supposedly working, and they STILL live in their delusional "everything I'm being told by the media and government must be 100% correct, and I blindly follow and question nothing despite obvious and glaring contradictions" world.

What's even more pathetic are people who ignorantly post numbers to "prove" their point when the totality of those numbers prove the opposite of their point.
Quote:

According to the article in the above link, 11,824,449 people in Ontario are above 5 years of age. Based on their percentages (80.55% fully vaccinated, 84.39% fully or partially vaccinated, and 15.61% unvaccinated), 9,524,594 people are fully vaccinated, 9,978,653 are partially vaccinated and 2,299,855 are not vaccinated. According to the numbers provided, 499 of the vaccinated recently got covid, 25 of the partially vaccinated got covid, and 469 of the unvaccinated got covid. In other words, 0.0052% of the fully vaccinated got covid, 0.0055% of the partially vaccinated got covid, and 0.025% of the unvaccinated people got covid. What that means is that if you are unvaccinated, you are 4.85 times more likely to get covid than if you are fully vaccinated and 4.84 times more likely to get covid than if you are fully or partially vaccinated.

And, based on the article, the unvaccinated are 14 times more likely to end up in the ICU versus the fully vaccinated. Those who are partially vaccinated are 3.5 times more likely to end up in the ICU versus the fully vaccinated.

So yeah, keep drinking the Kool-Aid or stay ignorant, whichever the case may be that allows you to think that the article YOU cited shows the vaccines don’t work. “Like anyone with a brain can see,” the article shows that the vaccines ARE working.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:15 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
What's even more pathetic are people who ignorantly post numbers to "prove" their point when the totality of those numbers prove the opposite of their point.

According to the article in the above link, 11,824,449 people in Ontario are above 5 years of age. Based on their percentages (80.55% fully vaccinated, 84.39% fully or partially vaccinated, and 15.61% unvaccinated), 9,524,594 people are fully vaccinated, 9,978,653 are partially vaccinated and 2,299,855 are not vaccinated. According to the numbers provided, 499 of the vaccinated recently got covid, 25 of the partially vaccinated got covid, and 469 of the unvaccinated got covid. In other words, 0.0052% of the fully vaccinated got covid, 0.0055% of the partially vaccinated got covid, and 0.025% of the unvaccinated people got covid. What that means is that if you are unvaccinated, you are 4.85 times more likely to get covid than if you are fully vaccinated and 4.84 times more likely to get covid than if you are fully or partially vaccinated.

And, based on the article, the unvaccinated are 14 times more likely to end up in the ICU versus the fully vaccinated. Those who are partially vaccinated are 3.5 times more likely to end up in the ICU versus the fully vaccinated.

So yeah, keep drinking the Kool-Aid or stay ignorant, whichever the case may be that allows you to think that the article YOU cited shows the vaccines don’t work. “Like anyone with a brain can see,” the article shows that the vaccines ARE working.
Hahaha nice rationalization

The vaccine DOESN'T STOP ANYTHING. What's so hard for you to grasp???

Vaccine - a substance used to stimulate the production of antibodies and provide immunity against one or several diseases, prepared from the causative agent of a disease, its products, or a synthetic substitute, treated to act as an antigen without inducing the disease.

Immunity - the ability of an organism to resist a particular infection or toxin by the action of specific antibodies or sensitized white blood cells.

Keep living in your tiny percentages lol

If the vaccine isn't stopping COVID....it's NOT a vaccine. Use common fucking sense
Old 12-05-2021, 09:17 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:

Read my previous posts...I am basing my beliefs on Science...has nothing to do with the media or Government. I can clearly tell where you get your facts from (without you even saying it).

Jeff

Last edited by ibuysportsephemera; 12-05-2021 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:22 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I'm out...I didn't post here trying to convince anyone to do something that they don't want to do.

I do believe that if you don't want to get the vaccine, you should not be able to go to the hospital to be treated when you get ill. You can't have it both ways.

Jeff

Last edited by ibuysportsephemera; 12-05-2021 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:36 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Read my previous posts...I am basing my beliefs on Science...has nothing to do with the media or Government. I can clearly tell where you get your facts from (without you even saying it).

Jeff
Nice try... You mean the "science" on the left that says individuals born as men can also be women?? Is that the real "science" you're referring to?? lol

I say this with all due respect... try thinking for yourself instead of blindly following the media... You'll be MUCH better off...
Old 12-05-2021, 09:48 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

Vaccine - a substance used to stimulate the production of antibodies and provide immunity against one or several diseases, prepared from the causative agent of a disease, its products, or a synthetic substitute, treated to act as an antigen without inducing the disease.

Immunity - the ability of an organism to resist a particular infection or toxin by the action of specific antibodies or sensitized white blood cells.

If the vaccine isn't stopping COVID....it's NOT a vaccine. Use common fucking sense
Yep, so much so, the CDC changed the definition of it (see below)

Quote:
I'm out...I didn't post here trying to convince anyone to do something that they don't want to do.

I do believe that if you don't want to get the vaccine, you should not be able to go to the hospital to be treated when you get ill. You can't have it both ways.

Jeff
So, by your analogy, anyone who smokes, drinks, eats unhealthy, is obese/overweight, participates in risky sports/hobbies or doesn't exercise should also not be allowed medical coverage.
Unbelievable, and almost as unbelievable as what you referenced earlier. The guy you know who works for Pfizer and the fact he recommended you get vaccinated. I never would have guessed it. I was certain he would have tried to talk you out of it!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cooovvid5.jpg (49.6 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by irv; 12-05-2021 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:23 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Just one final thing...Irv...why are you trying so hard? Your posts fill up my 27 inch computer screen.

For all of you that won't get the vaccine, good luck..can you please designate someone to come on here when you are in the hospital on a vent so that we can pray for you.

Back to reading the sports collectibles threads.

Jeff G.

Last edited by ibuysportsephemera; 12-05-2021 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:36 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Just one final thing...Irv...why are you trying so hard? Your posts fill up my 27 inch computer screen.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Why is the media trying so hard? If you think others are actin6"in your best interest" your sadly mistaken. Unless it is so you can continue to live in order to pay taxes. Then I see your point

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 12-05-2021, 11:16 AM
Michael

Quote:
No rationalization. Just basic, common math. Something you’re apparently not familiar with.

Quote:
What’s so hard for me to grasp??? How anyone could be so willfully ignorant. According to the figures Irv so graciously provided for us, if every person in Ontario contracted covid at the same rate the unvaccinated did, an additional 2,011 people would have contracted covid. That means 2,011 people did not contract covid because of the vaccine. Your statement, “the vaccine DOESN'T STOP ANYTHING” is flat out WRONG.

Quote:

See above. The vaccine IS stopping people from getting covid.

Common sense, something else you’re apparently not familiar with.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:07 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Nice try... You mean the "science" on the left that says individuals born as men can also be women?? Is that the real "science" you're referring to?? lol

I say this with all due respect... try thinking for yourself instead of blindly following the media... You'll be MUCH better off...
I believe he is referring to the sciences of virology and epidemiology, which is completely unrelated to anything having to do with gender or sex. And his position is consistent with the position of the practitioners of those disciplines.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:21 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
What’s so hard for me to grasp??? How anyone could be so willfully ignorant. According to the figures Irv so graciously provided for us, if every person in Ontario contracted covid at the same rate the unvaccinated did, an additional 2,011 people would have contracted covid. That means 2,011 people did not contract covid because of the vaccine. Your statement, “the vaccine DOESN'T STOP ANYTHING” is flat out WRONG.
I believe the point he is making (albeit badly) is that vaccines aren't, in a sense, a prophylactic. Vaccines work by training the immune system to develop an antibody response to the disease. This response may keep the person from developing the disease altogether, which obviously leads to the difference in infection rates you noted in your previous post.

However, while the immune response may not prevent some from the developing the disease anyways, it does help mitigate the severity (and mortality) of the disease. And there is significant information available from healthcare organizations to back this up. It is this latter case that folks who don't understand the science throw up as some sort of argument that vaccines don't work. They start with a nominally true statement and run with it to whatever their predetermined conclusion is.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:25 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
You mean the "science" on the left that says individuals born as men can also be women??
Go on...
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 12-05-2021, 12:30 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Last edited by G1911; 04-24-2022 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-05-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I’ll certainly regret this, but I just want to note that appeals to authority are still irrational arguments. Whether it’s one side appealing to Dr. Malone or the other appealing to Dr. Fauci, an argument is not reasonable or unreasonable by the eminence or reputation of one who makes it or supports it, it is reasonable or unreasonable on its foundation, on the logical basis of its supporting facts and evidence, on the merit of itself.
How dare you question His Lordship Doctor Anthony Fauci.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fauci.jpg (59.3 KB, 240 views)
Old 12-05-2021, 01:02 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I’ll certainly regret this, but I just want to note that appeals to authority are still irrational arguments. Whether it’s one side appealing to Dr. Malone or the other appealing to Dr. Fauci, an argument is not reasonable or unreasonable by the eminence or reputation of one who makes it or supports it, it is reasonable or unreasonable on its foundation, on the logical basis of its supporting facts and evidence, on the merit of itself.

To use a card example, that I am an ‘expert’ on T218 cards does not make my arguments about these cards and their printing any more or less valid than anyone else’s: the validity of our arguments are not because of expertise or claims to such, but is rooted in the merit of our arguments themselves and the evidence.

Furthermore, unlike many fallacious arguments, the appeal to authority does not convince people. There is always another ‘expert’ who can be found to disagree, effectively setting the argument back to square 1. It isn’t compelling, and it’s illogical.

Both sides would be served by recognizing this to some extent.
I don't think you should regret it at all. There is nothing inherently incorrect in what you have said, though I would change your opening sentence to "appeals to authority *may* be irrational arguments."

The issue here, as I see it is that the overwhelming preponderance of research and opinion of actual experts speaks to the efficacy of mRNA vaccines. And while Malone certainly performed some seminal research that led us to mRNA vaccines, there is a tendency to oversell it. The underlying science preceded his groundbreaking work and it has advanced significantly in the 3 decades since.

That isn't to say that a single person standing against the current understanding of a science is necessarily wrong. They may very well be right. But, the case to overturn a scientific paradigm is made in the lab, not on Tucker Carlson.

Last edited by carlsonjok; 12-05-2021 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 12-05-2021, 03:06 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
I believe the point he is making (albeit badly) is that vaccines aren't, in a sense, a prophylactic. Vaccines work by training the immune system to develop an antibody response to the disease. This response may keep the person from developing the disease altogether, which obviously leads to the difference in infection rates you noted in your previous post.

However, while the immune response may not prevent some from the developing the disease anyways, it does help mitigate the severity (and mortality) of the disease. And there is significant information available from healthcare organizations to back this up. It is this latter case that folks who don't understand the science throw up as some sort of argument that vaccines don't work. They start with a nominally true statement and run with it to whatever their predetermined conclusion is.
I'm not sure I get your point. In his post, he didn't start with "a nominally true statement." He started with a demonstrably false statement/claim (I agree with you that he does claim that the vaccine isn't 100% effective). I disproved that claim with the data Irv was so generous to provide. And even though I'm not a doctor and I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express in a long while, I do know the purpose of vaccines, generally how they work, and the fact that no one in their right mind claims they are 100% effective. So again, I'm not sure what your point is.

Maybe I didn't get your point because I was too busy patting myself on the back for ignoring the idiocy that follows from his post. For instance, do you think he wears seatbelts? After all, seatbelts don't prevent injury or death in 100% of the people who wear them, so why wear them according to his "logic"?
Old 03-04-2022, 05:10 PM
D@le Irv*n

Is everyone all distracted by the Russia/Ukraine war and forgot all about this?

No worries, nothing to see here. Just more strawman arguments and conspiracy theories is all.

https://phmpt.org/wp-content/uploads...LCPvz26CjLr8JE

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...XKtarSJCjXWbnY

https://childrenshealthdefense.org/d...YDKsav3rzO2SYM

And people didn't batt an eye when Pfizer wanted this information hidden for 55yrs then requested another 20 taking it to 75 yrs.
Old 03-05-2022, 12:04 PM
Matt

Poof....Russia destroyed the Covid narrative. The upcoming mid-terms helped out, as well.
Old 03-05-2022, 12:16 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

It's not even worth "debating" anymore. Both sides are sure they were right and refuse to anything that might be in the middle. Anyhow glad its over

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-05-2022, 02:15 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

At least around my area, the covid narrative was pretty much playing itself out by the lack of new cases, weeks before the Russian invasion.

But I agree that it would be nice to stop arguing about the topic.
Old 03-05-2022, 06:05 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
Poof....Russia destroyed the Covid narrative. The upcoming mid-terms helped out, as well.
And the fact the Supreme Court turned down Biden's mandates, or most of them, that he was pushing despite your Constitution.

Quite remarkable the info that is coming out now about all the adverse vaccine side affects and vaccine deaths.
I wonder how many people that took the vaccines now realize they were just Guinea pigs/lab rats for big pharma?

I am hoping, but I'm not holding my breath, that some pay huge for what they did and all the lies they told.

CDC, FDA, Fauci, etc, are all complicit.