NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-09-2022, 12:38 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Default Autograph authentication options?

Does anyone have any suggestions for reliable autograph authentication services other than JSA?

I have a nice signed Yaz piece that I am trying to sell but am finding it challenging with a letter of authenticity - I believe JSA cost would almost be the same as the value of the autograph so not sure it’s worth it

Any other services available for lower tier (sorry Yaz, no offense!) autographs?
Old 03-09-2022, 01:23 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Beckett, PSA/DNA, and JSA are basically the same for Yaz. You are correct, the fee is close to the value of most of his items.

You can get a PSA/DNA or Beckett "Quick Opinion" for $10.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:30 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
Beckett, PSA/DNA, and JSA are basically the same for Yaz. You are correct, the fee is close to the value of most of his items.

Thanks Randy... do you happen to know if any of these authenticators will review remotely if the item is "coined?" It's a large lithograph with a nice mat and frame (but WAY too heavy to mail!)

thanks again -

Jeff
Old 03-09-2022, 02:03 PM
Bob C.

Quote:

Have a few serious questions about this.

I've heard of and am aware of the "Quick Opinion" option, but are there really any actual guarantees or anything to back that type of opinion up? My understanding is that you're basically just forking over some money to have someone put a sticker on a top loader, supposedly sealing it and indicating the auto of the enclosed item is real (or at least I remember seeing something like this with cards to prove authenticity). But the method isn't that secure or safe to be sure the autographed item hasn't been removed or tampered with.

1. So, does anyone really use and rely on this service for more significant/valuable autos?

2. And, what actually happens if you use this service initially and get a positive "Quick Opinion" on an autograph, so you decide to submit the auto for full verification/encapsulation by the same TPG you got the "Quick Opinion" from, except now it comes back no good?

3. Or what happens if you get a positive "Quick Opinion" from one TPG, but then submit it to another TPG for full verification, but now the second TPG says it is no good?

4. And finally, does any of the above make or result in any different outcome if you are the person who originally had the "Quick Opinion" performed on a card you still own, as opposed to you being a subsequent owner of an autographed item you had acquired that still had the positive "Quick Opinion" indication/seal supposedly in place?

Last edited by BobC; 03-09-2022 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:36 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
Thanks Randy... do you happen to know if any of these authenticators will review remotely if the item is "coined?" It's a large lithograph with a nice mat and frame (but WAY too heavy to mail!)

thanks again -

Jeff
They review the autograph based on a clear digital photo that you send to them. They render either "Likely Genuine" or "Likely not Genuine." It is not a guarantee that they would authenticate it in person but gives an opinion from an autograph authenticator for a low fee. If they opine "likely not Genuine" there is little chance it would pass full authentication.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:57 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Have a few serious questions about this.

I've heard of and am aware of the "Quick Opinion" option, but are there really any actual guarantees or anything to back that type of opinion up? My understanding is that you're basically just forking over some money to have someone put a sticker on a top loader, supposedly sealing it and indicating the auto of the enclosed item is real (or at least I remember seeing something like this with cards to prove authenticity). But the method isn't that secure or safe to be sure the autographed item hasn't been removed or tampered with.

1. So, does anyone really use and rely on this service for more significant/valuable autos?

2. And, what actually happens if you use this service initially and get a positive "Quick Opinion" on an autograph, so you decide to submit the auto for full verification/encapsulation by the same TPG you got the "Quick Opinion" from, except now it comes back no good?

3. Or what happens if you get a positive "Quick Opinion" from one TPG, but then submit it to another TPG for full verification, but now the second TPG says it is no good?

4. And finally, does any of the above make or result in any different outcome if you are the person who originally had the "Quick Opinion" performed on a card you still own, as opposed to you being a subsequent owner of an autographed item you had acquired that still had the positive "Quick Opinion" indication/seal supposedly in place?
1. I occasionally use it for high dollar autographs if I am on the fence and just want another opinion without spending a few hundred dollars. If the opinion is "Likely not authentic", I pass on the item for certain. To be clear, most unauthenticated expensive autographs rarely are opined "Likely authentic" because they are not authentic. However, they have passed several Jackie Robinsons for me in the past and they were indeed real.
2. It does not guarantee that a full authentication would yield the same result. However, they generally are pretty careful opining "Likely Authentic" unless they are pretty sure but it could indeed come back "Not authentic."
They charge $300 for Babe Ruth full authentication and $10 for a "Quick Opinion" so you can see the services are not equal.
3. The 3rd parties could indeed disagree if submitted to more than one but probably not likely.
4. The "Quick Opinion" can only be used by the original requester for the $10 credit against the full authentication fee. Granted, it is not the best option in the world for authentication but can weed out really bad forgeries that fool novice collectors.

They do not put anything on the item on the "Quick Opinion" as they do not have the item in hand. That is why they cannot guarantee it would pass full authentication but again it has some value for a low price. Also, you get zero explanation as to the conclusion. You get only the decision likely good or likely bad. It is very unlikely a "Likely Not Authentic" conclusion would ever yield the opposite on full authentication.
Old 03-10-2022, 12:41 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
1. I occasionally use it for high dollar autographs if I am on the fence and just want another opinion without spending a few hundred dollars. If the opinion is "Likely not authentic", I pass on the item for certain. To be clear, most unauthenticated expensive autographs rarely are opined "Likely authentic" because they are not authentic. However, they have passed several Jackie Robinsons for me in the past and they were indeed real.
2. It does not guarantee that a full authentication would yield the same result. However, they generally are pretty careful opining "Likely Authentic" unless they are pretty sure but it could indeed come back "Not authentic."
They charge $300 for Babe Ruth full authentication and $10 for a "Quick Opinion" so you can see the services are not equal.
3. The 3rd parties could indeed disagree if submitted to more than one but probably not likely.
4. The "Quick Opinion" can only be used by the original requester for the $10 credit against the full authentication fee. Granted, it is not the best option in the world for authentication but can weed out really bad forgeries that fool novice collectors.

They do not put anything on the item on the "Quick Opinion" as they do not have the item in hand. That is why they cannot guarantee it would pass full authentication but again it has some value for a low price. Also, you get zero explanation as to the conclusion. You get only the decision likely good or likely bad. It is very unlikely a "Likely Not Authentic" conclusion would ever yield the opposite on full authentication.

Thanks Randy appreciate the info and answers. I had in the past seen some quick card authentication services where they'll put a card in a holder and throw a sticker/seal on it. Forget what TPG(s) at least used to do that, or if any of them still do. And was wondering if TPG(s) did something similar with this Quick Opinion autograph service.

As I figured, no guarantee, but from what you're saying it sounds like you at least get a credit for the Quick Opinion fee if you follow up for a full authentication submission. I understand the Quick Opinion isn't foolproof, but as you said, you can get a fairly good idea if it isn't likely authentic and save the difference of what a full submission would cost. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:54 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Thanks Randy appreciate the info and answers. I had in the past seen some quick card authentication services where they'll put a card in a holder and throw a sticker/seal on it. Forget what TPG(s) at least used to do that, or if any of them still do. And was wondering if TPG(s) did something similar with this Quick Opinion autograph service.

As I figured, no guarantee, but from what you're saying it sounds like you at least get a credit for the Quick Opinion fee if you follow up for a full authentication submission. I understand the Quick Opinion isn't foolproof, but as you said, you can get a fairly good idea if it isn't likely authentic and save the difference of what a full submission would cost. Thanks.
That is correct.

As to cards, in the past you could get an item pre-graded as you said by Beckett and maybe GAI but they actually inspected the card and gave a guaranteed grade which they put on the card saver and sealed with a sticker. You paid a little less for that option than full grading and if you were satisfied with the grade you could pay an additional fee to have it encapsulated but you obviously had to send the card back to them for that service. The grade was guaranteed as long as the seal had not been tampered with. I believe anyone, not just the original submitter, could submit it for the full authentication. I don't think they still offer that service.

PSA and SGC never offered that option as far as I know.
Old 03-10-2022, 11:46 AM
John €ffenheim

Last edited by effe; 03-10-2022 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-10-2022, 12:20 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

As a seller, I did a quick opinion on a rare autograph (Mike Marshall signed baseball) that I got from a very good source (Lelands but with no LOA). Due to the then rarity & novelty I thought a quick opinion might be something good to add. It was simple and PSA/DNA said "Likely Authentic."