NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-22-2022, 05:13 PM
Matt

Default Rocky Colavito bat.....get signed or not?

Guys...........This bat was pictured earlier this month in the pick-up thread. It's a H&B 125 K55 signature pro model. It measures 34.5" long and weighs 32 oz. No uniform # on the knob. I don't know for sure if Rocky used it, but there's a chance I suppose. The bat has a terrible handle crack with an amateur repair.

My question is whether or not to get it signed by Rocky? He's 88 years young and signs through the mail, but it's kind of expensive at $170 for bats according to his agent's price breakdown. The signing window is closing and his signature is pretty shaky, but it's better than nothing at this point. What would you do? I was leaning towards 'yes', but now I'm not sure. Thanks for your opinions.....Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220222_183903 (640x107).jpg (46.5 KB, 468 views)
File Type: jpg 20220222_183911 (640x112).jpg (43.5 KB, 459 views)
File Type: jpg 20220222_183859 (640x109).jpg (46.0 KB, 471 views)
File Type: jpg 20220222_183854 (800x81).jpg (43.2 KB, 460 views)
Old 02-22-2022, 05:39 PM

1955-59 it looks like, so a really early career bat for him. He had over 40 HRs in 1958 and 1959 so it would neat to be able to pin point it to one of those years.

With regard to having him sign it, I think it would depend on just how shaky that signature is. I know Musial had some autographs that were barely recognizable as his signature. In my opinion, a bad sig would be worse than no sig. My two cents.
Old 02-22-2022, 05:39 PM
Scott Maynard

Great bat!

I would go for it, it will be awesome!
Old 02-22-2022, 06:27 PM
Ron V

I would get him to sign it. Great bat
Old 02-22-2022, 08:35 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_master View Post
1955-59 it looks like, so a really early career bat for him. He had over 40 HRs in 1958 and 1959 so it would neat to be able to pin point it to one of those years.

With regard to having him sign it, I think it would depend on just how shaky that signature is. I know Musial had some autographs that were barely recognizable as his signature. In my opinion, a bad sig would be worse than no sig. My two cents.
That’s my opinion, too. I hate to see guys’ signatures decline as they get old. Signing a bat might be particularly hard for him.
Old 02-22-2022, 09:28 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I would leave it as-is. But it is a personal choice, of course.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:18 PM

$170 is actually very cheap. I think it costs about 10 times that for a Jeter signing, and even more for Tom Brady, etc. Even Mariana Rivera signings are no less than $400…. clearly these guys are on a different level than Rocky, but it just puts in perspective how reasonable $170 is.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:36 PM

The signature can be removed if you don't like the results
Old 02-23-2022, 04:48 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I might be in the minority but a signature on any game used item looks horrible. I like game used items to be as close to original as possible.
Old 02-23-2022, 05:37 AM
Matt

Guys, thanks for the replies. I've always liked game used items signed by the player as it adds character, but for some reason (probably signature quality or cost), I've been hesitant on this one. Here's a couple recent items he signed back in December via SCN's website. Slowly signed, but still presentable. I think I'm going for it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colavito1.jpg (14.8 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg colavito2.jpg (54.9 KB, 403 views)
Old 02-23-2022, 06:11 AM

Matt,
After seeing the state of his current signature, I would totally go for it.
The Rock still has a very presentable sig, IMHO!
Old 02-23-2022, 08:37 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Matt,
After seeing the state of his current signature, I would totally go for it.
The Rock still has a very presentable sig, IMHO!
It does look pretty good but I still wonder how it will come out on the rounded surface of a bat.
Old 02-23-2022, 08:40 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:

+1 Agreed I think the signature would be sweet

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 03-03-2022, 01:09 PM

I don't care how great or how shaky his signature might be. It's Rocky Colavito. He's not in the HOF and never will be. His signature is worth a fraction of what he charges to do it. Whoever came up with his pricing is almost as crazy as anyone paying it. Do not waste your money. Nobody cares $170 worth. $30? Sure. $170? Laugh and walk away while putting your wallet back in your pocket. That signature will never add $170 of value on top of it.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 03-03-2022 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trublubrucru View Post
The signature can be removed if you don't like the results
Or one of us can mail Matt a lighter and he could just torch his $170...
Old 03-03-2022, 01:32 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

If it helps, here is a thread from a few years ago from another member who went through the same thing with Hank Aaron. He went for it and ended up liking it. https://net54baseball.com/showthread...ighlight=aaron
Old 03-03-2022, 01:34 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
I don't care how great or how shaky his signature might be. It's Rocky Colavito. He's not in the HOF and never will be. His signature is worth a fraction of what he charges to do it. Whoever came up with his pricing is almost as crazy as anyone paying it. Do not waste your money. Nobody cares $170 worth. $30? Sure. $170? Laugh and walk away while putting your wallet back in your pocket. That signature will never add $170 of value on top of it.
Have you ever overpaid for anything just to have it in your collection? If so then your argument does not hold true. If not then you are an elephant in a sea of lemmings.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 03-03-2022, 02:21 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Quote:
Or one of us can mail Matt a lighter and he could just torch his $170...
Are those comments really necessary? They don't add anything to the discussion.
Old 03-03-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
Are those comments really necessary? They don't add anything to the discussion.
Besides the worry about strength of Colavito's current signature, my take is that the OP wants to know if it's worth it to have it signed at $170. It is not. He wanted opinions, and that is mine. If money wasn't part of the question, then the $170 figure wouldn't have even been mentioned. Adding a signature will never give $170 extra value to that piece. This is not Hank Aaron we're talking about. Your example with Aaron is an entirely different scenario if we're talking about adding more value to an item.
In the case of Aaron, of course you'd have ponied up the even larger asking price to have a game used bat signed. It's as much of a no-brainer as not having the Colavito bat signed at $170 happens to be. If it makes someone happy to pay $170 to get that bat signed then do it, but it's not economically logical.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 03-03-2022 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 05:22 PM

Default Don't knock The Rock!

No pun intended...
If Todd is a huge Rocky Colavito fan (he did spend 4 years with the Tigers, after all), then maybe having the bat signed may complete his vision of what he wants his collection to look like.

Having an exit plan on value is good, because we can't take it with us.

That being said, I can totally relate with Todd.
I collect Johnny Vander Meer and he's not a HOF'er either.
Maybe not a great investment with possible ROI like collecting HOF'ers, but as they say, collect what you like.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:55 PM
Ron V

It's only money...get the signature on the bat. It's always nice to have items like a GU bat signed instead of baseballs or photos. How many signed Colavito gamers do you see around? Not many. How many signed baseballs/photos do you see? A lot. So DOOO ITTT
Old 03-03-2022, 07:16 PM
Matt

Default I get it.

Billy.....I understand where you're coming from with investing that amount for his signature and a future turnaround in value.

I thought about it for a few days, then decided to send it out.

I'm a big Tiger fan with fond memories of the old stadium in the 80's, my Mother always mentioned 'Rocky Colavito' first when going to games in Detroit in the early 60's, and I didn't want to regret missing this chance someday down the road after his passing.

Thanks again for your thoughts and I was a bit torn, but I feel good about my decision. I'll post results hopefully within a week when it returns!

Last edited by Kzoo; 03-03-2022 at 07:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-03-2022, 09:03 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
Billy.....I understand where you're coming from with investing that amount for his signature and a future turnaround in value.

I'm a big Tiger fan with fond memories of the old stadium in the 80's, my Mother always mentioned 'Rocky Colavito' first when going to games in Detroit in the early 60's, and I didn't want to regret missing this chance someday down the road after his passing.

Thanks again for your thoughts and I was a bit torn, but I feel good about my decision. I'll post results hopefully within a week when it returns!
Looking forward to seeing it!
Old 03-03-2022, 10:25 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:

Good decision. When I'm bidding on things at auction, I try to fast forward a couple years and ask myself, will I regret not winning this, or will I regret putting hobby money here instead of keeping my powder dry for the next item I'll chase. Usually, I decide to try to win, because I seldom have buyers' remorse, but often have regrets when I miss out.

In your case, there will be a time, in the not too distant future unfortunately, when it will be too late to get Rocky to sign anything. I'd spend the $170 (plus postage) to avoid kicking yourself later.

One other thought. K55 is a pro stock model for Colavito if I'm not mistaken, meaning, if the bat doesn't have his use characteristics evident, it may not have been ordered by, or used, by him. By getting it signed though, it does personalize it to Rocky, since you now have proof he, at minimum, held it in his hands when he signed it.
Old 03-04-2022, 12:44 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:

Good on ya! At the end of the day you will look at this signed bat and not think a whit about how much you paid to get it signed. You will look at it and enjoy it for what it is. I am sure that any collector friends who really appreciate the memorabilia side of collecting will feel the same way.

I also know exactly where you are coming from. Along with my Olympic photography collection I also collect items related to Olympic photographers, including tickets. Yes, they need tickets for the events. I just spent about $600 to get photographer tickets for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics. I could have picked up press or broadcaster tickets for less, but they are not the same. I also spent about the same amount for about a dozen photo tickets for the Tokyo games including a full set for athletics (track and field). Will they ever be worth that in the open market? I do not care. They fit in my collection which will go to my college when I pass.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 03-04-2022, 01:54 AM
Dave Foster

If he croaks tomorrow, you'll never get it signed. When he takes his dirt nap, you'll kick yourself for not popping the $170. Sounds pretty cheap to me for somebody who was an icon in the '50's - '60's.
Old 03-04-2022, 05:43 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
One other thought. K55 is a pro stock model for Colavito if I'm not mistaken, meaning, if the bat doesn't have his use characteristics evident, it may not have been ordered by, or used, by him. By getting it signed though, it does personalize it to Rocky, since you now have proof he, at minimum, held it in his hands when he signed it.
Thanks for the further thoughts guys.

Mark, I had this same feeling in my opening post. I don't know for sure if he actually used it because I don't have access to the H&B shipping records for non HOF players. I know the stamping dates it to his rookie era where he might have been trying out different models, so maybe or not?
Old 03-04-2022, 05:42 PM

Matt, what's the length on the Colavito? I'd be shocked if he had pro stock bats out there that early in his career.
Old 03-05-2022, 11:19 AM
Matt

Quote:
Matt, what's the length on the Colavito? I'd be shocked if he had pro stock bats out there that early in his career.
34.5", 32 oz.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:31 AM
N@te

One thing I would be hesitant on would be the thru the mail part. If this was an actual signing and you were ok with the risk of being a so so auto from his age, and the difficulties signing a bat, I'd say go for it. But a lot can happen when trying thru the mail. Could get lost, smudged, wrong color, wrong pen, etc etc.

Let us know how it goes if you decide to try it.

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 03-07-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnVme7 View Post
One thing I would be hesitant on would be the thru the mail part. If this was an actual signing and you were ok with the risk of being a so so auto from his age, and the difficulties signing a bat, I'd say go for it. But a lot can happen when trying thru the mail. Could get lost, smudged, wrong color, wrong pen, etc etc.

Generally speaking, I'm in agreement with these thoughts.

If there's one silver lining here, it's that the fellow who handles Colavito's mail (I want to say it's his son in-law) is very responsive and careful from all accounts I've seen. No personal experience with him, but for $175, I'm sure he'll be happy to follow all instructions/requests. Just send him a detailed email of what you want done (and obviously send your own proper packing materials and marker). It definitely wouldn't hurt to forward a mock-up of how and where it should be signed for good measure.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:29 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnVme7 View Post
It's already been shipped out, return tracking shows it was scanned in this morning and is expected back this Thursday, so we'll see what the results are. I sent a new black sharpie, as I don't like the look of faded blue sharpie on bats long term.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:14 PM
Matt

Default It's back!

Bat was delivered today before lunch. He signed it with my provided black sharpie and overall, I'm happy with the results. I knew it wouldn't be a perfect '10' signature due to his age, so I set lower expectations and was actually expecting a much shakier signature. The sharpie bled into the grain in a few spots unfortunately, but I'm still glad it's signed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220309_175759 (640x224).jpg (54.0 KB, 122 views)
Old 03-09-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Bat was delivered today before lunch. He signed it with my provided black sharpie and overall, I'm happy with the results. I knew it wouldn't be a perfect '10' signature due to his age, so I set lower expectations and was actually expecting a much shakier signature. The sharpie bled into the grain in a few spots unfortunately, but I'm still glad it's signed.
Very nice, Matt! Mission accomplished. Congrats!
Old 03-09-2022, 10:08 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Congratulations Matt! Glad it came out well, and that you like it.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:09 PM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

Quote:
Very cool!
Congrats!
Old 03-10-2022, 05:09 AM

Looks great. I think that roll of the dice paid off and in the long run, there will be fewer signed gamers in the hobby.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:37 AM

Very cool. I don't think you'll ever regret getting it signed but you probably would have if you didn't get it signed and he passed away.
Old 03-10-2022, 12:07 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtiques View Post
Very cool. I don't think you'll ever regret getting it signed but you probably would have if you didn't get it signed and he passed away.
Thanks Guys. This was the thought I kept going back to. The window was closing.
Old 03-12-2022, 09:05 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Thanks Guys. This was the thought I kept going back to. The window was closing.
Good move. And now, it is definitely a "Colavito" bat, regardless of the provenance of the wood.
Old 03-12-2022, 09:14 AM
Ron V

Looks great. Congratulations!
Old 03-12-2022, 09:50 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Great decision and very nice looking signature

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth