NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 02-04-2015, 07:51 PM
pete ullman

Default Worst pain of your life...uncensored.

So getting old(er) is for the birds...but it's beats the alternative...my grandma used to say.

I've heard plenty of stories about how painful kidney stones can be...toothaches seem to be a bitch...but I've never had one. What's the worst pain you've ever felt?

For me...last year I started noticing blood in my urine...I blew it off for 4-5 days until I decided to go to urgent care. They sent me to a urologist who took urine sample and suggested sticking a scope up my penis to make sure nothing related to urethra.

Great!

"No...we don't use any anesthetic, studies have shown petroleum is as effective," the doc says.

This was the worst pain of my life!

They found nothing...suggested a possible prostatitis...the bleeding never returned after that test.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:06 PM
Archive

Holy Matrimony
Old 02-04-2015, 10:22 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Ouch

Gout

I loved the answer from Jantz, but just in case my wife stumbles across this message while searching for the t208 Eddie Plank she wants to surprise me with, I'm going with my original answer.

Gout is one insidious creature. I wouldn't even wish it on a Braves or Mets fan in the rare event they were in a pennant race with the Phillies.

Don't get gout. Just don't...trust me!!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:56 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

My lack of pain story is I ruptured my achilles tendon playing basketball when I was 26. I had always heard that rupturing the tendon was very painful and it didn't hurt that bad, so I thought I had twisted my ankle or something. After over a week when it was still swollen I went to the doctor who sent me to an orthopedic surgeon. When the surgon learned how long I took before going to the doctor, and that I had been walking on it, he called me stupid.

On a side note, I later learned the surgeon had to retire from medicine because he became allergic to latex gloves.

Last edited by drcy; 02-05-2015 at 02:57 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:16 AM
Barry Sloate

You'll appreciate this one Pete. I once had a wisdom tooth pulled, which was no big deal. But a couple of weeks later a bone started to push up through the gums and into the space created by the extracted tooth. That pain was dreadful. But it went away on its own. I had one miserable week.

And you know that test the urologist had you do? I've had it too, and it isn't fun. They slide a tube through the penis to take pictures of your prostate. And I was awake for the whole thing, because they need you to perform a few functions. Bottom line is the pain is bearable but it is really uncomfortable and really kind of scary. I've also had numerous catheters put in and they are not fun either, although they are not as painful as you might think. I've been healthy for the last couple of years but take quite a bit of medication. Prostate issues are not fun.

Last edited by barrysloate; 02-05-2015 at 06:19 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:58 AM
pete ullman

Thanks for sharing guys...my assistant and I have been talking about achilles issues lately...seems like it'd be incredibly painful to me! Remember the scene in Pet Sematary when the clown slices the guys achilles tendon? Yowza!!!!!!

Nice Jantz...I've avoided that one so far. Barry...I cursed up a melange of F bombs when they were probing my penis...dreadfully awful it was....never want to go through that again!

I'll pass on the gout too!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:08 AM
Belltown Vintage

This is a no-brainer: gum surgery. The topical sedative wore out about 2/3 of the way through the surgery.

A far distant second is fallout of of the top bunk of a bunk-bed and landing with my leg behind my back - direct kneecap shot.

Wow - what an uplifting thread!
Old 02-05-2015, 03:03 PM
Ben North

I done boxing, karate, and mma for 15 years so I have had my share of broken hands, feet, and ribs(they suck). I hate needles so the only cavity I have had I had filled with no pain medication and when the drill goes into the nerve it will light you up with pain for a few seconds. But by far the worst pain I have ever had was from a few bouts with kidney stones. Those babies have had me curled up on the floor crying like a baby and throwing up from the immense pain.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:08 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Default Always were a helmet at lacrosse practice

Worst pain I've ever experienced: I played lacrosse in HS. One day at practice I was practicing shots near the goal. Some jack ass let one rip from about 25 yards using and offsett shaft. Lacrosse ball hit me and broke two teeth exposing the roots/nerves. I thought I was going to die. I have broken my leg in a motorcycle accident and I ripped my ACL senior year. NOTHING hurt as bad as that exposed nerve.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:41 PM
Danny Gr|mes

I had stones at age 30 on thanksgiving day. Helping my wife get things ready and it literally dropped me to my knees. I tried everything standing sitting etc, before going to the sacred ER. I wouldnt wish the pain on a mortal enemy.

Now from years of mis-use and abusing the body my back is shot which is no picnic either. Good luck
Old 05-21-2015, 01:51 PM
Chris P.

Default worst pain

In my younger days when I had no insurance I broke a tooth, then of course didn't get it fixed, etc etc. Was sent to an oral surgeon by my regular dentist. He said $100 for extraction plus $100 for novocaine. I didn't have a lot of money and was tough as hell so, what the heck, pull it with no novocaine. Never again. I actually saw the same surgeon with my daughter (tooth removal for braces) and he still remembered after all these years.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:53 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by veleno45 View Post
In my younger days when I had no insurance I broke a tooth, then of course didn't get it fixed, etc etc. Was sent to an oral surgeon by my regular dentist. He said $100 for extraction plus $100 for novocaine. I didn't have a lot of money and was tough as hell so, what the heck, pull it with no novocaine. Never again. I actually saw the same surgeon with my daughter (tooth removal for braces) and he still remembered after all these years.
Guy should have comped you, if only for the novocaine. Where is the compassion and mercy?
Old 02-08-2015, 10:26 AM
MikeHealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
So getting old(er) is for the birds...but it's beats the alternative...my grandma used to say.

I've heard plenty of stories about how painful kidney stones can be...toothaches seem to be a bitch...but I've never had one. What's the worst pain you've ever felt?

For me...last year I started noticing blood in my urine...I blew it off for 4-5 days until I decided to go to urgent care. They sent me to a urologist who took urine sample and suggested sticking a scope up my penis
I quit reading right there.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:14 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Of side note: I haven't watched the show but the Deadliest Catch boat is often moored right next to an on-the-docks Seattle fish restaurant I frequent. After fish and chips, we usually mill around the docks looking at the fishing boats and yachts and I've walked by the Deadliest Catch boat numerous times. And, if you want, you can buy fish directly from fishing boats there.

A picture from Fisherman's Terminal:

Last edited by drcy; 02-08-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:28 AM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)
Default Worst pain of your life...uncensored.

Three thing come to mind. None serious, but painful nonetheless...

1) Exposed nerve after getting wisdom teeth pulled.

2) Outer ear infection that I stupidly let get so bad it festered.

last, but not least

3) Horrible gas pains!!! (Never have exactly figured out why, but had 2 separate really bad evenings in my 20s! Farting never felt so good as getting through those!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
T206 back run: 21/38

Last edited by BicycleSpokes; 02-10-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:20 AM
Bob McLean

Some of these ailments are a trip down a memory lane I would like to forget. Having double knee replacement topped all for me, but was something that eventually stopped hurting.

The guy with the bone coming out of his hole where they pulled his wisdom tooth. I got that covered. I think the Navy dentist who broke my wisdom teeth into four pieces with a chisel before pulling broke my jaw. Swelled up and stayed that way for two weeks. No relief for the pain with meds they gave me, but about 9 shots of whiskey in the evening allowed me to sleep.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:57 PM
Barry Sloate

That was me, and yes, yours sounds worse. All pain is bad.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:20 PM
Jeff C.

Gout. Check.
Family jewel infected and swollen after vasectomy. Check.
Sprained ankles. Check.
Pulled hamstrings. Check.
Back out. Check.
Multiple concussions. Check.
Pain meds wearing off while having an ingrown toenail removed. Check.
Broken bones in hand (football). Check.

The most painful...Listening to Roseanne Barr or Carl Lewis sing the National Anthem.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Not to get into all the medical details but when I was 15 I got very sick with a few ailments all at the same time causing all of glands in my throat to swell up. Think of a bad sore throat on steroids. This wasn't the pain though. The actual pain came from when it swelled up so much my windpipe virtually closed up. I had about a pin hole of space air could get into. Breathing was so hard to do so my chest muscles cramped up with the labored breathing. My neck actually swelled out so it was even with my ears. My tongue also swelled up so I couldn't fit it in my mouth so it dried up like piece of beef jerky. (Man I wish I had a picture to show my kids). The doctors ended up doing an emergency tracheotomy so I could breath.
Now almost 30 years later people ask about the scar on my neck. I tell them when I wad a teenager masked men stripped me naked, drugged me, tied me to a metal table and cut me open. It's usually a better reaction than "it started with a sore throat"
Drew
Old 02-21-2015, 04:23 AM
Eric Perry

I stubbed my toe once. The agony was nearly unbearable. Somehow, I managed to fight through the pain.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:32 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I stubbed my toe once. The agony was nearly unbearable. Somehow, I managed to fight through the pain.
i think we all have stubbed out toes...and it can be quite painful!

My most severe childhood pain occurred while playing street hockey with friends.

Hockey wasn't very "hot" in northern new jersey...and we were playing and I was chasing the ball, stick outstretched, which was hugging the curb.

As I neared the ball...my stick hit the curb...with the but end of my stick jamming right into my "nuts." i was in so much pain...yet was also laughing so hard...it was kinda funny!

Worst "nut" injury of my life!!!
Old 02-21-2015, 08:20 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
i think we all have stubbed out toes...and it can be quite painful!
Pete,

You do know I was being a smart-@$$ with my post, right?

In actuality, the worst pain I ever felt was having bone marrow drawn. They went directly into my hip bone with some sort of surgical device.

This was back in the 1980's. I hope they have a gentler way to extract marrow these days.

Best regards,

Eric
Old 02-21-2015, 09:13 AM
pete ullman

i knew you were joking, Eric...but the stubbing of the toe is pretty acutely painful when it happens!!!
Old 02-22-2015, 12:26 AM
J Ryan
Banned

last year I had 2 Severe inner ear infections....before those i never had problems with my ears.
not really pain but the sense of it made me feel like I was dying. constant virtigo, black out spells, anxiety etc.

ever since then the hearing in my right ear hasnt been the same, almost slightly muffled.

when i was in 7th grade we were cleaning off the church my dad pastored. we were using a powerwasher (dirtroad.dust.dirt grime..etc) It was very hot, so stupid me willingly told one of the other kids to spray my hair (was kinda long) That sucker sprayed me almost point blank in the side of the head. this 2600 psi washer split my skin in a horseshoe shape around my left ear, blood was running down the back of my head, the church leaders freaked lol.

in 10th grade me and my brother were seeing who could jump the farthest off of our trampoline. we were marking our distance with a plastic trash can, well it was my turn and i landed on it. broke my ankle

.... 2 years later Christmas eve, it was raining...me and my brother went to Walmart to get last min gifts, after shopping we were running back to the car and I rolled my ankle and broke it again. Here I am limping across the parking lot, my brother yelling " stop faking and run". go to the docs and yep, it was broken again.
Old 11-23-2022, 01:07 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:

For me...last year I started noticing blood in my urine...I blew it off for 4-5 days until I decided to go to urgent care. They sent me to a urologist who took urine sample and suggested sticking a scope up my penis to make sure nothing related to urethra.

Great!

"No...we don't use any anesthetic, studies have shown petroleum is as effective," the doc says.

This was the worst pain of my life!

They found nothing...suggested a possible prostatitis...the bleeding never returned after that test.
When I saw the subject line, this is the exact thing that came immediately to mind. Absolutely excruciating!
Old 11-23-2022, 04:56 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Interesting THread and interesting direction some of us took with it.

cringe at lot of these and makes me appreciate what I have even with some of the tough things I went thru

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph

Last edited by mrreality68; 11-23-2022 at 04:57 AM.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:27 PM
Kevin
Kev.in Th.omas

I watched an entire soccer game on Monday...OMG! Worst pain ever.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:31 AM
Robert J. Miller

Having a tooth cavity filled without novacane. (I know I am not good at speling).......see what I did there.

Next - Last year at a flea market watching a lady show someone how to separate the 1980 basketball card.....to a Bird Erving Johnson! OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!