NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-31-2023, 07:32 PM
insidethewrapper's Avatar
insidethewrapper insidethewrapper is offline
Mike
member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,324
Default 1980 topps Hockey

How are the 1980 Topps Hockey Cards evaluated by PSA ? How to they treat the scratch-off area ? Does it need to be intact or is it graded down if scratched ? thanks
__________________
Wanted : Detroit Baseball Cards and Memorabilia ( from 19th Century Detroit Wolverines to Detroit Tigers Ty Cobb to Al Kaline).
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-01-2023, 08:04 AM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
How are the 1980 Topps Hockey Cards evaluated by PSA ? How to they treat the scratch-off area ? Does it need to be intact or is it graded down if scratched ? thanks
I would assume, like coupon cards that have the coupon removed, or other similar cards, they would receive a lesser grade?

Mint means mint. The way they came from the factory or basically untouched, from pack to sleeve and top loader.
https://forums.collectors.com/discus...cratched-value
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-02-2023, 07:29 PM
Joeybats Joeybats is offline
Anth0ny B0rzar0
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: FL
Posts: 186
Default

"Technically, PSA does not downgrade the card for having the box scratched off," noted Joe Orlando, PSA president. "What our graders will downgrade for is if the act of scratching has left any visible damage in the area."

Hence, you'll never see a "scratched 10" as you can't remove the black without marking the surface a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-03-2023, 11:48 AM
JustinD's Avatar
JustinD JustinD is offline
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Birmingham, Mi
Posts: 2,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeybats View Post
"Technically, PSA does not downgrade the card for having the box scratched off," noted Joe Orlando, PSA president. "What our graders will downgrade for is if the act of scratching has left any visible damage in the area."

Hence, you'll never see a "scratched 10" as you can't remove the black without marking the surface a bit.
I've always thought this illogical as it is altering the card as issued. No different than tearing a Magic/Bird rookie in three pieces as that was the designed product. I personally would not consider it better than a 6-7 even with the rest of the card in perfect condition.

Is this ideal in the situation of sets such as Topps Who-am-I? Not for display for many, but if I enjoy an altered card from factory, I should be happy with a 7.

Personal opinion.
__________________
- Justin D.


Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-03-2023, 11:56 AM
Joeybats Joeybats is offline
Anth0ny B0rzar0
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: FL
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I've always thought this illogical as it is altering the card as issued. No different than tearing a Magic/Bird rookie in three pieces as that was the designed product. I personally would not consider it better than a 6-7 even with the rest of the card in perfect condition.

Is this ideal in the situation of sets such as Topps Who-am-I? Not for display for many, but if I enjoy an altered card from factory, I should be happy with a 7.

Personal opinion.
Justin, I agree with you. I wanted to just reference the position that PSA has taken.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats your favorite pre 1980 hockey set? goudey1933 Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum 5 06-16-2013 07:20 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:21 AM.


ebay GSB