NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-26-2021, 04:19 PM
Steve M.

Default Has card collecting become an outlet for high stakes gambling?

While I know this kid is as close to a can't miss as they come these prices still surprise me when you can get all time great HOFer rookie cards for less than what this card is going for. This card still has SIX days left...

2018 Bowman Chrome Gold Kelenic- https://ebay.us/YGP8ht

Here are just a couple of all time great rookie cards that ended for less money than what this Kelenic is going for. These two players are widely considered inside*the top 20 best baseball players to ever play the game.

1954 Topps Hank Aaron- http://ebay.us/vIBVpr

1955 Sandy Koufax- https://ebay.us/LKGQYY

If it is about investment, the Aaron and Koufax are sound investments that will continue to increase year after year. Kelenic could potentially turn out to be JD Drew. If it's about collecting greats of the game....well they've already acieved that. So how do you make sense of what is going on?

Last edited by pootshwan; 03-26-2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 04:24 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

None of the links worked . It’s not replacing gambling. It’s the same a the stock market currently. Has the stock market been gambling this entire time? I don’t think so some , making money comes with risk.
Old 03-26-2021, 04:28 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootshwan View Post
While I know this kid is as close to a can't miss as they come these prices still surprise me when you can get all time great HOFer rookie cards for less than what this card is going for. This card still has SIX days left...

2018 Bowman Chrome Gold Kelenic

Here are just a couple of all time great rookie cards that ended for less money than what this Kelenic is going for. These two players are widely considered inside*the top 20 best baseball players to ever play the game.

1954 Topps Hank Aaron

1955 Sandy Koufax

If it is about investment, the Aaron and Koufax are sound investments that will continue to increase year after year. Kelenic could potentially turn out to be JD Drew. If it's about collecting greats of the game....well they've already acieved that. So how do you make sense of what is going on?
Your link didn't work for me but there is a 99.99% chance that card will be in a bargain bin in a few years.

Just my opinion, the "prospectors" have brought the game of "hot potato" to vintage.
Old 03-26-2021, 04:52 PM

No disrespect to Kelenic but there have been Kelenic's before. Jurickson Profar and Byron Buxton were can't miss once too.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Of course it is gambling.

It has ALWAYS been gambling. I buy a pack in 1980, sure hope I get Pete Rose or Nolan Ryan. Rip, shuffle, shuffle, Sixto Lezcano again? I've already got three of those. Shit. Throw the gum at a pigeon, watch it shatter on the pavement. Oh well, better luck next time.

Pulled from a pack in 1980...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-26-2021, 07:22 PM
Al Richter

A few years ago a guy who was just a Sixto collector kept contacting me wanting to buy my blank back and regular back Topps 1985 Mini Sixtos. I kept telling him they were part of a set and not for sale but he kept on offering more money and finally said I should name my price. Got mad when I would not sell. He would not appreciate you trashing his guy Adam

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 03-27-2021 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:38 AM
Al Stein

Got a kick out of "Mini Sixtos". How can you call it a set without a Mini Sixto?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2021, 12:48 PM
Steve M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
None of the links worked . It’s not replacing gambling. It’s the same a the stock market currently. Has the stock market been gambling this entire time? I don’t think so some , making money comes with risk.
I can see the parallels to the stock market for sure. Some of these prices are just baffling to me.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:00 PM

With the prices wayyyy high now, can't justify spending for unproven youngsters. The big time oldies are the only way to go as I see it. However, others may want to gamble - some current rookie will one day make the HOF - good luck figuring out whom it is.

Can't believe I just plunked down $350. for a '66 Aaron in PSA 6 - yes 6, not a 7, just a lousy 6. Jeez. But hey, the centering was darn good.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:46 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

It has ALWAYS been gambling. I buy a pack in 1980, sure hope I get Pete Rose or Nolan Ryan. Rip, shuffle, shuffle, Sixto Lezcano again? I've already got three of those. Shit. Throw the gum at a pigeon, watch it shatter on the pavement. Oh well, better luck next time.
I couldn't agree more! It was gambling in the 1990s buying pack after pack of 1989 Upper Deck trying to pull a Griffey RC. It was nice to get Randy Johnson, or some of the others, but honestly sometimes the content of the pack wasn't worth the buying price. And I had no gum to throw at a pigeon!
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 03-27-2021, 04:42 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Just when I think I couldn't possibly be more stunned, I get double-triple-turbo-supercharged-stunned by a card's price, as happened today. A sharp, ungraded 1960's team card variation (which wasn't even mentioned in the listing) went for $225+. My first thought (after "What the high frickin' heck is going on here??!!!") was it's probably an example of shilling...but then I checked the bids and found two people 'battling' for it into the ionosphere. The similar ones I've gotten recently came to me for only about $15 each. Holy heck!!!

But just when you think it might be time to start selling to get a ton of money to buy other cards you want, you realize the exorbitant amount of money you will receive from a sale won't be enough to get anything else, because those cards, too, are going through the friggin' roof.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:19 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If the exorbitant prices are real and not just a cabal of shillers running up their cards in a pump and dump scheme...like a few years ago with the big RCs.

Or not...
Old 03-28-2021, 07:25 AM
Tom S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

Pulled from a pack in 1980...
I disagree with this. In 1980 kids were able to buy a 25 card cello pack for 39 cents. a 15 card wax pack for 25 cents or a 42 card Rack Pack for 69 cents. Hardly high stakes gambling. No kids (or in my case 20 year old) were paying hundreds to thousands of dollars on single boxes of cards. Loading up their credit card hoping for a profit.

Kids and young adults didn't spend beyond their means. It was cash and carry.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:11 AM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootshwan View Post

2018 Bowman Chrome Gold Kelenic- https://ebay.us/YGP8ht

1954 Topps Hank Aaron- http://ebay.us/vIBVpr

1955 Sandy Koufax- https://ebay.us/LKGQYY

With respect to modern cards, I think the answer to your question has to be an obvious yes. I mean, does anyone actually collect modern cards? Put another way, is there literally even one person who would buy that Kelenic for any reason other than hoping to resell it at a profit? I doubt it.
Old 03-28-2021, 04:53 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
With respect to modern cards, I think the answer to your question has to be an obvious yes. I mean, does anyone actually collect modern cards? Put another way, is there literally even one person who would buy that Kelenic for any reason other than hoping to resell it at a profit? I doubt it.
Maybe his mom?

Or not...
Old 03-28-2021, 04:54 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer brewster View Post
I disagree with this. In 1980 kids were able to buy a 25 card cello pack for 39 cents. a 15 card wax pack for 25 cents or a 42 card Rack Pack for 69 cents. Hardly high stakes gambling. No kids (or in my case 20 year old) were paying hundreds to thousands of dollars on single boxes of cards. Loading up their credit card hoping for a profit.

Kids and young adults didn't spend beyond their means. It was cash and carry.
When I was 11 I borrowed $45 from my father to buy a 1952 Topps Mays and a 1953 Topps Mays. If I'd had a credit card I've have used it. Seven years later I sold the pair for $500. I wish I still had them...

Or not...