NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-15-2021, 10:58 AM
Danny Smith

Default ESPN Article on PSA

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...rd-submissions

Last edited by Danny Smith; 04-15-2021 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:40 PM
Robert Williams

Interesting.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:35 PM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default Thank You, Danny

Informative read. I had no idea that people like Mr. Crenshaw existed. Call me naive. As a long-time collector it creeps me out a bit that this piece portrays a hobby that is all about chasing the almighty dollar through grading. Yes, I am aware that my cards have increased in value in the past year. Nothing wrong with that. But I am glad that my active days as a collector are (for the most part) in the rearview mirror. Peace.

Last edited by marzoumanian; 04-15-2021 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:00 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Thx for sharing...

So, why would AI grading be such a bad idea? It’s still a “buy the card, not the case” opportunity but I’d think technology could help to objectively measure corners, color brightness, centering, detect trimming, etc

Curious why technology would NOT be better than what we have now?
Old 04-15-2021, 03:10 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
Thx for sharing...

So, why would AI grading be such a bad idea? It’s still a “buy the card, not the case” opportunity but I’d think technology could help to objectively measure corners, color brightness, centering, detect trimming, etc

Technology would be great for the honest guys, AI is not good for the card doctors and gamblers who love to take chances and cut corners. I think the Grading Companies as they are comprised of would be totally against AI grading.

Last edited by Johnny630; 04-15-2021 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:29 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
Thx for sharing...

It would clearly be better. The eye appeal point is, frankly, stupid. That's the one thing we definitely don't need third party graders to tell us.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:50 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Maybe it's good for the new generation to learn condition all on their own. Who knows??

Last edited by Santo10Fan; 04-15-2021 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:28 PM
J1m C0chran

Default Thanks Danny

According to the article, "Crenshaw's company has a 96% accuracy rate on predicting what Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA) would grade a card."

I call BS. We all know PSA is all over the place with their assigned grades, and with their new, inexperienced workforce, the grading is no doubt even more unpredictable. I would be surprised if they hit 80%.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:32 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc6252 View Post
According to the article, "Crenshaw's company has a 96% accuracy rate on predicting what Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA) would grade a card."

I call BS. We all know PSA is all over the place with their assigned grades, and with their new, inexperienced workforce, the grading is no doubt even more unpredictable. I would be surprised if they hit 80%.
maybe they're not so unpredictable with their "best" customers?
Old 04-15-2021, 04:36 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
maybe they're not so unpredictable with their "best" customers?

boom
Old 04-15-2021, 04:49 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

ESPN sucks. I turned them off the second they felt the need to make every aspect of sports political. The last thing I want to watch is "agendized" sports.

Bad reporting as well. Not even a mention of the alteration scandal, and the hobby's real need for AI technology. Quoting PWCC, Probstein and PSA as reputable sources doesn't add to their credibility either.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:52 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:

Maybe it's a .96 correlation? That wouldn't be so tough if they're submitting a lot of lower condition vintage cards. Or maybe it's just 96% are within 1.5 points or something like that.

Last edited by darwinbulldog; 04-15-2021 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Maybe it's a .96 correlation? That wouldn't be so tough if they're submitting a lot of lower condition vintage cards. Or maybe it's just 96% are within 1.5 points or something like that.
I think they are only sending in ultra modern. Maybe he means that 96% of the cards are 9 or 10 and 4% are 8.5 or less. No way they are getting 96% exactly right.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I think they are only sending in ultra modern. Maybe he means that 96% of the cards are 9 or 10 and 4% are 8.5 or less. No way they are getting 96% exactly right.
I bet I could predict a 4sc sub with 100 percent accurancy.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:02 PM
Mike P.ap

Default What $300 gets you......

PSA logged my card on 4/13/21 and the grade popped today 4/15/21.

I think my card jumped 10 million other cards including all of Bradley Crenshaws submissions! lol

Peace, Mike
Old 04-15-2021, 07:09 PM
Dan Paradis

Default Espn

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
ESPN sucks. I turned them off the second they felt the need to make every aspect of sports political. The last thing I want to watch is "agendized" sports.

Bad reporting as well. Not even a mention of the alteration scandal, and the hobby's real need for AI technology. Quoting PWCC, Probstein and PSA as reputable sources doesn't add to their credibility either.
+1 , haven’t watched them in years and don’t plan on it in the future.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:57 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:

Yes, I agree. The variation in grading appears to be higher than 4%
Old 04-16-2021, 10:24 AM
Chris Counts

I agree. Every time MLB goes political, I figure out new and creative ways how to not give them my money.

As for ESPN, they shredded their credibility long ago.

Quote:

Old 04-16-2021, 10:34 AM
Jimmy

Just finished reading, very interesting! The hobby is really upside down right now and I am hoping most shows come back soon. Shows could slow things down a bit and have the chance to talk in person with these grading companies.

and Chris you make a good point - ESPN and MLB have some issues and hope things improve - politics have no place in sports!

Jimmy

Last edited by jbsports33; 04-16-2021 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:49 AM
Steve Birmingham

I still have serious doubts about AI grading.
Someone here made a serious run at it, appeared to have it mostly working, but only on an I phone? And painfully short on details.

Haven't seen an update in a while. Maybe it didn't work? Real work came back so it's back burnered for now?

It would help for some stuff like centering, but unless you've got a high res scan, there's lots that won't show up.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:27 AM
Andrew

Quote:
To this post and the others like it above: Do you guys not see any irony in gratuitously throwing a political "stick to sports" jab in a thread that has nothing to do with politics, about an article that has nothing to do with politics?

Last edited by ASF123; 04-16-2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:24 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Just LOL at the commentary that sports shows have no place to lay out a political and social agenda.

Fancy an industry, whose history is shrouded in denying access to people of various ethnicities and colors and religions by white hegemonic ownership, and which now wants to throw all that bigoted stuff as far as possible from its current format and offering, allowing and encouraging FULL participation by ALL, and being able to sell it's product to a very multicultural paying populace, taking a stand against practices today that still disenfranchise many due solely to past racist policy and thinking.

The very nerve of such a thought.
I love that those who are confounded by dealing with the fact their own political and social agendas are no longer acceptable cannot keep their mouths closed about it. Always better to know thine enemy.

Last edited by 68Hawk; 04-16-2021 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:49 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:

Same here - I will suffer through ESPN when one of my teams is on (a few times per year) - but my days of sports center, espn.com etc are long long over.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:02 PM
D@ve R1cks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Hawk View Post
Just LOL at the commentary that sports shows have no place to lay out a political and social agenda.

Fancy an industry, whose history is shrouded in denying access to people of various ethnicities and colors and religions by white hegemonic ownership, and which now wants to throw all that bigoted stuff as far as possible from its current format and offering, allowing and encouraging FULL participation by ALL, and being able to sell it's product to a very multicultural paying populace, taking a stand against practices today that still disenfranchise many due solely to past racist policy and thinking.

I love that those who are confounded by dealing with the fact their own political and social agendas are no longer acceptable cannot keep their mouths closed about it. Always better to know thine enemy.
You are so dead on. Bravo!
Old 04-16-2021, 01:15 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Quote:

This.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:37 PM
Mike

There is no need for a company that correlates highly with PSA, I would want a company that doesn't correlate highly. Why a need for a company that would give you the same grade ? Grading companies should only tell if the card is authnetic or not and has not been doctored, bleached , trimmed etc and then the buyer would buy based on the condition of the card by looking at it in the slab and also have a good idea that it has not been tampered with. Again if they only authenticated that would be great ! That's all I need to know.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:40 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:

Yep. Has to be bullshit when a 9 is equal to a 10 especially with modern era cards.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:30 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
There is no need for a company that correlates highly with PSA, I would want a company that doesn't correlate highly. Why a need for a company that would give you the same grade ? Grading companies should only tell if the card is authnetic or not and has not been doctored, bleached , trimmed etc and then the buyer would buy based on the condition of the card by looking at it in the slab and also have a good idea that it has not been tampered with. Again if they only authenticated that would be great ! That's all I need to know.
I almost agree, but I'm not sure I can remember the last time I got to inspect a card before I bought it.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:39 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:

Does seem like an odd hill to die on, but I guess society progresses one funeral at a time.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:10 PM

Default Espn/mlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
I agree. Every time MLB goes political, I figure out new and creative ways how to not give them my money.

As for ESPN, they shredded their credibility long ago.
Likewise!I will not waste a minute of my time watching self-destroying MLB!
I quit watching ESPN years ago.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:35 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If you just gotta run political smack go troll Facebook.

As far as the article goes, it was a really crappy piece of journalism for the reasons cited above: when your expert voices are sketchy characters and you present them at face value, you clearly haven't done your homework.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-16-2021 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:33 PM
Glyn Parson

Quote:

God every post you make just makes me think you are more of an asshole than the last one did. Their level of ignorance, arrogance and just plain folly is staggering. And nobody can beat a dead horse like you can.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:50 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
ESPN sucks. I turned them off the second they felt the need to make every aspect of sports political.
I completely agree that ESPN sucks, but I don't understand what you mean by the second sentence. How do they make "every aspect of sports political"?
Old 04-16-2021, 07:38 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
God every post you make just makes me think you are more of an asshole than the last one did. Their level of ignorance, arrogance and just plain folly is staggering. And nobody can beat a dead horse like you can.
Hey Bud...

ESPN's ratings are completely in the tank (record lows, along with the NBA), so don't pretend I'm the only one who wants politics separated from sports. There are more than enough places to get your political fix, outside of sports channels. The country is already terribly divided, and infusing politics just makes it worse.

Must be nice to judge and denounce anyone who disagrees with you.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:07 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Must be nice to judge and denounce anyone who disagrees with you.
Mate, do you see what you did there?
Old 04-16-2021, 10:14 PM
Tim Odeen

Well, it's Jackie Robinson day/weekend, and the Reds won. Feeling good ankit those. And the article sucked because they interviewed Probstein. And I still buy ungraded. And now I'm getting jollies out of minor league cards which seem to not be affected by current market conditions.

And although I like politics and talking politics, and talking theory, I always appreciate commentary by PerezFan and Exhibitman.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 04-16-2021 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:15 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
PSA logged my card on 4/13/21 and the grade popped today 4/15/21.

I think my card jumped 10 million other cards including all of Bradley Crenshaws submissions! lol

Peace, Mike
Mike - What is the card that you were willing to shell out $300 on for grading fee?

Did it receive the grade that you had anticipated?
Old 04-17-2021, 06:45 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:

You said it better than I ever could. My response is that athletes are still citizens and their wealth doesn't necessarily protect them from the same discrimination that other, less famous members of their community face.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:53 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:

Sports mirrors society, right? What I've always appreciated about sports, though, is how it seems to be ahead of the curve rather than behind it, thanks to the free market aspects of it: The integration of African Americans into professional sports. Joe Louis and Jesse Owens as national heroes. Even Russians on an American hockey team. These things occurred in sports before they were generally accepted in society overall.

So politics and sports have always been intertwined. But when people hired to comment on sports like Jamele Hill and others branch away from sports commentary and into presidential politics, it risks alienating their audience - which has absolutely occurred at ESPN. And they make no attempt to offer opposing views - ever. Sorry, but that is not what I watch ESPN for.

And you imply that this point of view is racist.

"I love that those who are confounded by dealing with the fact their own political and social agendas are no longer acceptable cannot keep their mouths closed about it."

Agree with me or you're a racist. I'm so tired of this childish and intellectually lazy point of view. The fact that I don't want to listen to idiot sports commentators drone on about presidential politics doesn't mean I'm a racist.

Last edited by SAllen2556; 04-17-2021 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:29 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-17-2021, 11:33 AM
Wimberleycardcollector

And just like that I thought I could escape everyday politics, attitude and such by joining a hobby board away from Facebook.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:15 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post

So politics and sports have always been intertwined. But when people hired to comment on sports like Jamele Hill and others branch away from sports commentary and into presidential politics, it risks alienating their audience - which has absolutely occurred at ESPN. And they make no attempt to offer opposing views - ever. Sorry, but that is not what I watch ESPN for.

She doesn't work there any longer because she was unwilling to stop potting the president openly. Others have similarly left because they were asked to tone down their political speak on air and couldn't control those impulses.
There is a difference between individuals pushing an agenda against an individual, and a generalized agenda that opposes racism in sport.

Second bolded is untrue. There have been a number of conservative voices on ESPN, including most recently Will Cain.
He chose to leave, he was not asked to, nor was he asked to stop sharing his opinions.
You might think you know the political leanings of ALL the ESPN hosts and commentators, but you don't.
There are a number, including black commentators, who lean conservative on many issues and would identify with that brand of politics such as it existed pre Trump.
The movement that brought Trump to power, including the Tea party and others, have promoted a White centric view of the world and attempted to minimize Black voices re their experiences.
That movement and the leadership of Trump, including his regular tweeting that black sportsmen should not involve themselves in politics, has resulted in a broad sweeping line from ESPN that opposes this viewpoint.

And you imply that this point of view is racist.

"I love that those who are confounded by dealing with the fact their own political and social agendas are no longer acceptable cannot keep their mouths closed about it."

Agree with me or your a racist. I'm so tired of this childish and intellectually lazy point of view. The fact that I don't want to listen to idiot sports commentators drone on about presidential politics doesn't mean I'm a racist.

There is no other view than that of the people who are telling you they are being treated in a racist manner. They are the expert, not you. The 'stupid' commentators who give platform to those views understand this.
You don't.
That's ok, you are free to exercise your viewing choices.
You are not free to tell ESPN or black athletes or their supporters they cannot do more than shoot and dribble.
I don't know what's in your heart, but I know mine.
It costs me nothing, absolutely nothing to want others to feel better about themselves and support them in that endeavor.
It doesn't offend me, doesn't take anything from me, for others to be treated better.
Sad that it seemingly costs others their mental freedom when people are chasing that dream.

Last edited by 68Hawk; 04-17-2021 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:39 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimberleycardcollector View Post
And just like that I thought I could escape everyday politics, attitude and such by joining a hobby board away from Facebook.
17 days into April and nearly every single post you’ve made this month has been arguing in a thread that turned political, one that even got locked. You are part of the problem.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:17 PM
S Vincent

It's a pretty charged climate right now, which is understandable. I guess everyone needs to do a better job of policing themselves on a hobby message board like this.

In a review of this thread, it was going fine until the Perezfan post. Let's be honest, he knew what he was doing with his post, and of course it was going to help get the hobby talk off track.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:58 PM
Sean Fitze
Se.an Fi.tze

It's a damn shame what has happened to this great hobby. Yes, I am bitter that a good amount of cards I need to complete my vintage sets are out of my reach. It is also a joke that many cards that I do have are way overpriced because of all the new people in the hobby. It's sad that if I want to buy a blaster box at Target, I have to get in line in the middle of the night behind about 30 cockroaches and it doesn't even guaranty that I will get anything. PSA has become the necessary evil in our hobby. A company in Oregon has now done more harm to our hobby than good. Remember, we had grading before PWCC. Grading wasn't perfect and was somewhat of a scam but we could deal with it. Now we are having to live with the investor side that is driving up prices even on poor condition vintage cards. I am waiting for the dust to settle and can't wait for the greediness to bail out of the hobby. But when they do jump ship, I think it will be to late. Experience tells me that dealers will not budge on the high prices that we are seeing now. In all honesty, with all that is going right now, it has made me hate this hobby. That's what greed will do.

Last edited by 661fish; 04-17-2021 at 04:59 PM.