NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 02-26-2022, 07:50 PM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Default 25th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment - Union Army

Ancestory directed us to one Thomas Feeney, a private in the E Company of this regiment. Thomas is my son’s, Arthur, great great great grandfather. He was 19 when the regiment was mustered out. Received a pension. He is buried in Cypress Hills National Cemetery in Brooklyn, New York. My 5 year old and I visited yesterday.

1844-1924

Very odd estrangement it seems like. My father had never heard of Thomas. Dad apparently asked his father several times over the years about possible Civil War vets in the family and he was told no. Thomas lived until 1924; his son, Michael died in 1907. I guess this is definitely the dividing line between Thomas having any connection to my grandfather, Charles. Interestingly enough, Charles’ son, Charley was born in 1924. He went on to cover the Giants (baseball/football) Yankees, Pirates and won the Taylor Spink Award in the late 90s. Thomas’ regiment apparently was influential in spreading baseball during the Civil War.

So…so many questions. I gather my grandfather had little contact with his grandfather from 1907 to 1924. I also visited the grave site of Michael (1874-1907) and he is buried in an unmarked grave with several other people with different last names. (Potters Field?). The original Feeney, another Michael, is buried near by. He died in 1890. Also in an unmarked grave. (A short walk, you are at the grave site of Gil Hodges).

This post? I gather I’m looking for information about the 25th Regiment. The “unmarked” graves sort of bothers me. Very sad. Potters Field? Man, another sad thing. I gather my son and I were the first visits these people had in 132, 115 and 98 years. It means in 132/115/98 years, I’ll be forgotten, I gather. That sort of bothers me.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:30 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

This might be helpful...

https://www.findagrave.com/virtual-c...e=1#sr-3076151

You may have to go down many rabbit wholes to get more info. Also try the national archives in DC.

Calling the cemetery historian may also give you more clues about their past.

As an aside there is also a Feeney Park in New Rochelle, NY though I am not sure of any connection. And many families named Feeney.
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 02-26-2022, 11:55 PM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
This might be helpful...

https://www.findagrave.com/virtual-c...e=1#sr-3076151

You may have to go down many rabbit wholes to get more info. Also try the national archives in DC.

Calling the cemetery historian may also give you more clues about their past.

As an aside there is also a Feeney Park in New Rochelle, NY though I am not sure of any connection. And many families named Feeney.
This is helpful! I wonder if I should upload my great great grandfather’s headstone ?
Old 02-27-2022, 04:34 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Right up my alley. Former president if the Civil War Roundtable of Central Mass. I mainly lectured on obscure Confederate campaigns: the St. Albans, VT raid, John Hunt Morgan's raid into Indiana and Ohio and the Confederate Invasion of New Mexico. The New Mexico talk was the most popular and I gave it to several other roundtables.

25th Regiment Infantry (3 Months)

Moved to Washington, D.C., April 22, 1861. Attached to Mansfield's Command, Dept. of Washington, D.C. Advance into Virginia May 23. Occupation of Arlington Heights, Va., May 24. Engaged in fatigue duty at Arlington Heights building, Fort Albany, until July. Mustered out August 4, 1861.

25th Regiment Infantry "Union Rangers"

Organized at New York City May 11, 1861. Mustered in June 28, 1861, and left State for Washington, D.C., July 3, 1861. Attached to Garrison at Fort Albany, Defenses of Washington, until July 21. McCunn's Brigade, Army of Northeast Virginia, to August 4, 1861. Hunter's Brigade, Division of the Potomac, to October, 1861. Butterfield's Brigade, Porter's Division, Army of the Potomac, to March, 1862. Martindale's 1st Brigade, Porter's 1st Division, 3rd Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to May, 1862. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 5th Army Corps, to June, 1863.

SERVICE.--Duty in the Defenses of Washington, D. C., until March, 1862. Moved to the Virginia Peninsula March 16. Warwick Road April 5. Siege of Yorktown April 5-May 4. Battle of Hanover Court House May 27. Operations about Hanover Court House May 27-29. Seven days before Richmond June 25-July 1. Battles of Mechanicsville June 26; Gaines Mill June 27; White Oak Swamp and Turkey Bend June 30; Malvern Hill July 1. At Harrison's Landing until August 16. Retreat from the Peninsula and movement to Centreville August 16-28. Pope's Campaign in Northern Virginia August 28-September 2. Battle of 2nd Bull Run August 30. Maryland Campaign September 6-22. Battle of Antietam September 16-17. Shepherdstown September 19. At Sharpsburg, Md., until October 30. Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 30-November 19. Battle of Fredericksburg, Va., December 12-15. Expedition to Richards' and Ellis' Fords, Rappahannock River, December 29-30. "Mud March" January 20-24, 1863. At Falmouth, Va., until April 27. Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6. Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5. Mustered out June 26, 1863, and honorably discharged from service July 10, 1865. Three years men transferred to 44th New York Infantry.
Regiment lost during service 7 Officers and 54 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 4 Officers and 25 Enlisted men by disease. Total 90.

25th Regiment National Guard Infantry

Mustered in for three months' service May 31, 1862. Left State for Suffolk, Va., June 4. Duty at Suffolk, Va., attached to 7th Army Corps, Dept. of Virginia, until September. Mustered out September 8, 1862.

Feeney, Thomas
Side: Union
Battle Unit: 25th Regiment, New York Infantry
Function: Infantry

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 02-27-2022 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-27-2022, 12:17 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Right up my alley. Former president if the Civil War Roundtable of Central Mass. I mainly lectured on obscure Confederate campaigns: the St. Albans, VT raid, John Hunt Morgan's raid into Indiana and Ohio and the Confederate Invasion of New Mexico. The New Mexico talk was the most popular and I gave it to several other roundtables.

25th Regiment Infantry (3 Months)

Moved to Washington, D.C., April 22, 1861. Attached to Mansfield's Command, Dept. of Washington, D.C. Advance into Virginia May 23. Occupation of Arlington Heights, Va., May 24. Engaged in fatigue duty at Arlington Heights building, Fort Albany, until July. Mustered out August 4, 1861.

25th Regiment Infantry "Union Rangers"

Organized at New York City May 11, 1861. Mustered in June 28, 1861, and left State for Washington, D.C., July 3, 1861. Attached to Garrison at Fort Albany, Defenses of Washington, until July 21. McCunn's Brigade, Army of Northeast Virginia, to August 4, 1861. Hunter's Brigade, Division of the Potomac, to October, 1861. Butterfield's Brigade, Porter's Division, Army of the Potomac, to March, 1862. Martindale's 1st Brigade, Porter's 1st Division, 3rd Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to May, 1862. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 5th Army Corps, to June, 1863.

SERVICE.--Duty in the Defenses of Washington, D. C., until March, 1862. Moved to the Virginia Peninsula March 16. Warwick Road April 5. Siege of Yorktown April 5-May 4. Battle of Hanover Court House May 27. Operations about Hanover Court House May 27-29. Seven days before Richmond June 25-July 1. Battles of Mechanicsville June 26; Gaines Mill June 27; White Oak Swamp and Turkey Bend June 30; Malvern Hill July 1. At Harrison's Landing until August 16. Retreat from the Peninsula and movement to Centreville August 16-28. Pope's Campaign in Northern Virginia August 28-September 2. Battle of 2nd Bull Run August 30. Maryland Campaign September 6-22. Battle of Antietam September 16-17. Shepherdstown September 19. At Sharpsburg, Md., until October 30. Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 30-November 19. Battle of Fredericksburg, Va., December 12-15. Expedition to Richards' and Ellis' Fords, Rappahannock River, December 29-30. "Mud March" January 20-24, 1863. At Falmouth, Va., until April 27. Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6. Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5. Mustered out June 26, 1863, and honorably discharged from service July 10, 1865. Three years men transferred to 44th New York Infantry.
Regiment lost during service 7 Officers and 54 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 4 Officers and 25 Enlisted men by disease. Total 90.

25th Regiment National Guard Infantry

Mustered in for three months' service May 31, 1862. Left State for Suffolk, Va., June 4. Duty at Suffolk, Va., attached to 7th Army Corps, Dept. of Virginia, until September. Mustered out September 8, 1862.

Feeney, Thomas
Side: Union
Battle Unit: 25th Regiment, New York Infantry
Function: Infantry

You never know what you can learn on Net54.

Maybe Leon should add a Mustard Section on Net54.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 02-27-2022 at 12:20 PM.