NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 12-01-2023, 09:35 AM
James M.

Default Bypass Surgery?

Unfortunately my collecting, and posting here on the forum has grinded to a halt. While thankfully, I am in good health, my family was hit with the news that my father needs to receive bypass surgery on his heart. I know we have a wide range of users here, varying in ages, and I wanted to reach out to see if anyone had either gone through the process or knows someone that has gone through the process.

From what I've read the surgery has become more common and the surgeon that is operating on my father is very experienced, which makes me feel better. Despite that I still have my worries. Always tough to see loved ones having to experience these sorts of things. If anyone could chime in, it would be greatly appreciated. Sometimes I find the more we talk about things, the calmer I become. Thank you.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 12-01-2023, 11:13 AM
Steve Birmingham

My father had one a few years ago.
The surgeon was super experienced, like multiple operations a day often on people older who were in much worse shape. Working out of 3-4 different hospitals. He had to postpone meeting with us to do a transplant.

Recovery was a bit rough, not from any complications, but the pain meds made him more than a bit out of touch with any reality I could see. So much that we had to babysit him for a couple days to give the nurses some time to keep track of everyone else.

I forget how long ago, maybe 10 years? He's still doing fine in that way but is in a memory place now.
Old 12-02-2023, 11:51 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
My father had one a few years ago.
The surgeon was super experienced, like multiple operations a day often on people older who were in much worse shape. Working out of 3-4 different hospitals. He had to postpone meeting with us to do a transplant.

Recovery was a bit rough, not from any complications, but the pain meds made him more than a bit out of touch with any reality I could see. So much that we had to babysit him for a couple days to give the nurses some time to keep track of everyone else.

I forget how long ago, maybe 10 years? He's still doing fine in that way but is in a memory place now.
Steve,

Thanks for the response. I'd imagine they prescribe some heavy duty stuff after open-heart surgery. My Old Man seems to be taking things well, which is surprising considering he normally he hates when he can't do things for himself. He's on bed rest until the surgery this Wednesday. I appreciate you chiming in.

- James

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 12-02-2023, 05:21 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

My dad had an emergency bypass in 1990 at the age of 62 and lived another 26 years . And they’ve come a long way since then .
Afterword they gave him a pillow he squeezed when he had a spit up snot and they didn’t like him crossing his legs and he wasn’t allowed to drive for a while - within just a Couple weeks after the operation he claimed he felt better Then he had in 25 years

Last edited by Beercan collector; 12-02-2023 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Xtra words
Old 12-03-2023, 07:27 AM
Scott Russell

Both my Grandfather and my father had multiple bypass surgery at age 63 (something to look forward to I guess) Both recovered very quickly and were probably healthier and happier the next 10 years than they were the previous 10. My grandfather died in his early 80's of Alzheimers, my dad is still going strong at 77.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-03-2023, 12:29 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Our prayers are for your father and you and the family.

Family always first

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 12-05-2023, 03:41 PM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

My brother had a triple last month. He continued to have a hard time breathing for about 3 weeks even with meds. He went back to ER once and they gave him some different meds and he is doing fine now. I believe part of the problem was anxiety as my mother had a quadruple one back in 1990 and passed away a month after she came home. I believe, and rightfully so, he was thinking about that. BTW he is 75.
Wish your family the best. Just keep reminding him everything is going great and to follow doctor's orders to the T.