NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 06-03-2022, 06:29 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Is your profile picture/avatar Ken Holtzman?
Yes. It's pen and ink: The sole surviving piece of my art work.

Modeled after a Baseball Digest Cover:

Baseball Digest September 1973 Ken Holtzman.jpgBaseball Drawing (2).JPG

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-03-2022, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
I'm a Conservative Republican who voted for Trump twice. I stay away from these discussions because they always turn ugly and in thd end, nobody ever has their mind changed. So, I don't see the point.

Well, if you voted for him TWICE, we can assume there are a lot of points you don't see.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-03-2022, 06:44 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Well, if you voted for him TWICE, we can assume there are a lot of points you don't see.

Well, I honestly don't care what you think.
Old 06-03-2022, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim65 View Post
well, i honestly don't care what you think.

exactly my point

Old 06-03-2022, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Yes. It's pen and ink: The sole surviving piece of my art work.

Modeled after a Baseball Digest Cover:

Attachment 519443Attachment 519444
Awesome, even though I was way too young his first go around with them he is still one of my favorite all time Cubs.
Old 06-03-2022, 07:07 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
exactly my point
I simply stated why I stay out of these discussions and you saw that as an excuse to insult me. This is exactly why I stay away from political discussions, because of people like you.
Old 06-03-2022, 07:15 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I simply stated why I stay out of these discussions and you saw that as an excuse to insult me. This is exactly why I stay away from political discussions, because of people like you.
The very first reply to your post really proved your point.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:04 PM

Quote:
James- I sincerely apologize. I was a lifelong republican pre-trump and am just shocked by all that don't see him for what he always has been and always will be.

and I DO care what you think and what everyone thinks ,but, I do worry.

again, I do apologize.

Last edited by clydepepper; 06-03-2022 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:20 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
James- I sincerely apologize. I was a lifelong republican pre-trump and am just shocked by all that don't see him for what he always has been and always will be.

and I DO care what you think and what everyone thinks ,but, I do worry.

again, I do apologize.

Apology accepted. No hard feelings.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Apology accepted. No hard feelings.

But...my Braves are going to win the East again.

(maybe...LOL)

Old 06-04-2022, 05:24 AM
Tom Re.bert

Default Bow and Arrows & Spears

Native Americans did fine with Bow and Arrows until the Europeans invaded with gun powder--Guns and gun powder have killed a lot of people.
Old 06-04-2022, 06:47 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Here in Michigan, we arrested the parents of the 14-year old who shot up his school. Now I just wonder if some other kid thinks, hey, I can shoot up my school AND get my parents arrested. Win, win.

What I haven't seen discussed is the fact that shooting up a school has become a copycat crime. Why? What is some disturbed kid watching when one of these events occurs that makes him think, 'yeah, I wanna do that too' ? Is it the images of the sobbing parents and friends? Is it the media portrayal of the shooter as 'evil' ?

I sometimes wonder what would happen if these shooters were portrayed as the mentally retarded losers they actually are and were actually somehow made fun of. I know you couldn't do it out of respect for the victims, but whatever we're doing now as a society is not working.
Old 06-04-2022, 06:50 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directly View Post
Native Americans did fine with Bow and Arrows until the Europeans invaded with gun powder--Guns and gun powder have killed a lot of people.
Native Americans also scalped, enslaved, and cooked and ate their enemies. So, personally, I'd rather be shot.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:09 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directly View Post
The same comparison can be made with horses and cars.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:23 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

According to the FBI statistics, you are more likely to be killed with a blunt instrument than a rifle. You are over 4x more likely to be murdered with a knife than a rifle (any rifle, including grandpa’s old single shot, not just the scary looking ones). Who would like to ban or restrict hammers and knives, since it’s the tool that is at fault, alongside the rifles? Or is this logic only applied to the one tool that has political overtones, regardless of the fact it causes less deaths?

Last edited by G1911; 06-04-2022 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:58 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
According to the FBI statistics, you are more likely to be killed with a blunt instrument than a rifle. You are over 4x more likely to be murdered with a knife than a rifle (any rifle, including grandpa’s old single shot, not just the scary looking ones). Who would like to ban or restrict hammers and knives, since it’s the tool that is at fault, alongside the rifles? Or is this logic only applied to the one tool that has political overtones, regardless of the fact it causes less deaths?
The politicization is over the top, there is no doubt about it. And then there is this.
https://www.tiktok.com/@knowledgeequ...s1E9K75DC&_r=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guns8.jpg (13.1 KB, 268 views)
Old 06-04-2022, 11:19 AM
Michael

I had intended to make my last post the last one I made on abortion in this thread. However, I realized something about you and I decided to make one more last post to point that out.

You repeatedly railed about me and others not agreeing to the Merriam Webster definition of “pro-life.” Yet, there are countless examples of you not applying “common sense, context or the dictionary” to the meaning of words.

(A) You displayed your lack of understanding regarding the definitions of “choice,” “law,” and “right.” You seem to apply your own definitions.

(1) For example, you think that if a “law” is passed, it automatically removes a person’s right to a “choice.” That is absurd. For example, there are speed limits set by law. Let’s say the speed limit on the road I’m driving on is 60 mph. Do you really think that takes away my choice of going 75? No, it doesn’t. I also think it is humorous that you think I could tell the officer giving me a ticket, “But officer. I had no choice. A law was passed regarding the speed limit and that took away my choice. The fact that I was going 75 isn’t because that was my choice, because I had no choice. It was probably an act of nature or divine intervention, but it wasn’t my choice. So, since it wasn’t my choice, I don’t think I should get a ticket.”

Quote:
You cannot believe in an absolutist, hardline with no exceptions “right to choose” and any meaningful rule of law. Law is intended to constrict and punish certain choices people make, that is the purpose of every law. You clearly know this, as you even specify prison as a result of unlimited free choice.
(2) You conflate “choice” with “right.” Look up the definitions and you’ll see you’re not using the words properly.

Example 1:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
Making a law does not take away a person's choices, there is no correlation between a "law" and a "choice."
Quote:
Okay. So everywhere in the world there is the right to have an abortion and always will be. It's just the law punishing people for their free 'choice'. What's the point of discussing abortion at all if you think there is a universalist right to it is already present?
Example 2:
Quote:
So, let's get back to my original question. What choice(s)s do you think people should not have? And a follow-up question, how do you propose to take that choice away from people?
Quote:
What choices do I think people should not have? - Already answered. I think you are picking your words wrong again. I am not in favor of rolling back rights.
(B) You change the definition of “and” to “or.” Here’s a little logic for you. If you say “A” and “B”, that is only true if “A” if true plus it is only true if “B” is true. If you say “A” or “B”, then that is true if either “A” is true or “B” is true or “A” and “B” are true. You claimed you only posted after I and BobC posted. I pointed out that wasn’t true because I didn’t post until after you did. You said that since you posted after BobC posted, that makes it true. Hence, you want to redefine “and” to be “or.”

Quote:
You and BobC just had such nutball extremist takes I couldn’t resist pointing out the absurdity of the false pretenses of ignorance.
Quote:
My first post in this thread was Post 115. You first posted on this subject in Post 97. But, yeah. You didn’t post until my “nutball extremist takes.” Sure, if it makes you feel better, disregard the truth and keep telling yourself you only posted because of me.
Quote:
Read. The transcript is public and visible to all. What I said and you even quoted was "You and BobC just had such nutball extremist takes I couldn’t resist pointing out the absurdity of the false pretenses of ignorance." Post 97 is me replying to BobC. So... exactly in line with what I said...
(C) You ironically want to change the definition of abortion. Look up the definition of abortion and tell us all how you can have an abortion after birth.

Quote:
I think it is extremely sad that “women’s rights” has largely become a phrase to mean access to any abortion at any time for any reason, among the hardliners even after birth. Post birth abortion is beyond vile and disgusting.
All these posts because:
Quote:
You and BobC are the only ones evidently incapable of understanding that words have meanings, that are not picked on the whims of any single individual.
Quote:
You are not reasonable because you refuse to accept that language is not up to your sole arbitration and refuse to apply common sense, context or the dictionary.
And yet, you constantly applied you own definition to commonly used words.

So, I have choices. I can decide that you’re a hypocrite. I can decide that you’re a “performance artist.” Or, I can decide that you’re not nearly as smart as you think you are. I lawfully have those choices because it’s my right. Can you guess which one I'm going to choose?
Old 06-04-2022, 01:12 PM

158334081_4054641537901246_8461246587244529788_n.jpg258244971_2658033547676122_8610287704204713611_n.jpg

Old 06-04-2022, 02:51 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I had intended to make my last post the last one I made on abortion in this thread. However, I realized something about you and I decided to make one more last post to point that out.

You repeatedly railed about me and others not agreeing to the Merriam Webster definition of “pro-life.” Yet, there are countless examples of you not applying “common sense, context or the dictionary” to the meaning of words.

(A) You displayed your lack of understanding regarding the definitions of “choice,” “law,” and “right.” You seem to apply your own definitions.

(1) For example, you think that if a “law” is passed, it automatically removes a person’s right to a “choice.” That is absurd. For example, there are speed limits set by law. Let’s say the speed limit on the road I’m driving on is 60 mph. Do you really think that takes away my choice of going 75? No, it doesn’t. I also think it is humorous that you think I could tell the officer giving me a ticket, “But officer. I had no choice. A law was passed regarding the speed limit and that took away my choice. The fact that I was going 75 isn’t because that was my choice, because I had no choice. It was probably an act of nature or divine intervention, but it wasn’t my choice. So, since it wasn’t my choice, I don’t think I should get a ticket.”

(2) You conflate “choice” with “right.” Look up the definitions and you’ll see you’re not using the words properly.
If there is no correlation between law and choice and rights, then law serves no purpose at all. If law is not intended and created to restrict choice by punishing those who do that which the law criminalizes, it has no purpose. The state does not have complete physical control of every humans every action. One can choose to break a law, but that is why we have laws. Laws restrict choice by punishing those who violate it, to make most people conform and to lock up, kill, shame, or harm those who make the choice not allowed by the state.

A right is something specifically protected by the law.

A person who supports a right to choose something is against criminalizing one of the two choices. Pro-choice abortion activists do not think that choice is protected regardless of the law; they are pro-choice because they want that choice to be allowed without getting a murder charge. We all know this. Pro-choice people are not pro-choice because they think the law does not matter and they may make a choice to violate the law and take the punishment. Supporting choice means that one does not support criminalizing one of the sides. You know this, this is extremely disingenuous. You surely possess an ounce of common sense and can apply context. You cannot possibly be this dumb and be a functioning adult.

Quote:
(B) You change the definition of “and” to “or.” Here’s a little logic for you. If you say “A” and “B”, that is only true if “A” if true plus it is only true if “B” is true. If you say “A” or “B”, then that is true if either “A” is true or “B” is true or “A” and “B” are true. You claimed you only posted after I and BobC posted. I pointed out that wasn’t true because I didn’t post until after you did. You said that since you posted after BobC posted, that makes it true. Hence, you want to redefine “and” to be “or.”
Yes. Good job, you finally made a correct point. It's utterly irrelevant, but you are correct.

We can do this forever in perpetuity. You just said "You repeatedly railed about me and others not agreeing to the Merriam Webster definition of “pro-life.”" In actuality, only you and Bob C pretended to be too stupid to know what they mean. That means it should be "you repeatedly railed about me and one other..." instead of "others". Ha! I got you! I win now! See how silly this is? You probably don't.

Quote:
(C) You ironically want to change the definition of abortion. Look up the definition of abortion and tell us all how you can have an abortion after birth.
You appear to be referring to 'post birth abortion'. Post birth abortion, or after-birth abortion, is not my term whatsoever. I did not make this up, popularize it, write a single one of the many news articles about it, or author any of the passed or pending legislation related to it. I am not selecting the terms used by political factions in American culture. For the thousandth time, you already know this.

Quote:
So, I have choices. I can decide that you’re a hypocrite. I can decide that you’re a “performance artist.” Or, I can decide that you’re not nearly as smart as you think you are. I lawfully have those choices because it’s my right. Can you guess which one I'm going to choose?
We agree I am not smart, I don't know much. I am simply aware of what some common terms mean as is everyone here except for you and BobC. You can choose to believe whatever you want about anything, nobody has said you cannot think whatever you think. If you want to pretend pro-life is a hardline absolutist universal philosophy but pro-choice is not held to the same rule, you may. It's absurd and stupid, and some will tell you that, but people believe many absurd things.

No matter how stupid I am, a point which I will happily concede, and how satisfied you are with your virtue signaling redefinition, everyone here still knows exactly what pro-life and pro-choice actually mean.
Old 06-04-2022, 03:58 PM

A Little Stonehenge Humor:

Daylight Savings at Stonehenge.jpg244469314_10208758796485072_9121062018896317629_n.jpg

Old 06-04-2022, 06:18 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I will add my opinion and highly agree with the opinions in this post.
Old 06-05-2022, 06:44 AM
Jim M.arinari

Default Nails it

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/i-...122eb91c00e055
Old 06-05-2022, 07:48 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
Thanks for this. I'm glad they mentioned social media and cable news. Many operators in both spaces are in the business of manufacturing and amplifying outrage and anger in order to maximize engagement.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 06-05-2022, 03:56 PM

Everyone can't be right?

245180343_3077959305785183_5387845861749360297_n.jpg260621739_10226942249884825_2600395535095714606_n.jpg

Old 06-06-2022, 09:29 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbystrawberry View Post
thanks for this. I'm glad they mentioned social media and cable news. Many operators in both spaces are in the business of manufacturing and amplifying outrage and anger in order to maximize engagement.
+1000!
Old 06-06-2022, 11:46 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
A Little Stonehenge Humor:

Attachment 519554Attachment 519555
It must be Chiffon!
Old 06-06-2022, 09:10 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
If there is no correlation between law and choice and rights, then law serves no purpose at all. If law is not intended and created to restrict choice by punishing those who do that which the law criminalizes, it has no purpose. The state does not have complete physical control of every humans every action. One can choose to break a law, but that is why we have laws. Laws restrict choice by punishing those who violate it, to make most people conform and to lock up, kill, shame, or harm those who make the choice not allowed by the state.

A right is something specifically protected by the law.

A person who supports a right to choose something is against criminalizing one of the two choices. Pro-choice abortion activists do not think that choice is protected regardless of the law; they are pro-choice because they want that choice to be allowed without getting a murder charge. We all know this. Pro-choice people are not pro-choice because they think the law does not matter and they may make a choice to violate the law and take the punishment. Supporting choice means that one does not support criminalizing one of the sides. You know this, this is extremely disingenuous. You surely possess an ounce of common sense and can apply context. You cannot possibly be this dumb and be a functioning adult.

Yes. Good job, you finally made a correct point. It's utterly irrelevant, but you are correct.

We can do this forever in perpetuity. You just said "You repeatedly railed about me and others not agreeing to the Merriam Webster definition of “pro-life.”" In actuality, only you and Bob C pretended to be too stupid to know what they mean. That means it should be "you repeatedly railed about me and one other..." instead of "others". Ha! I got you! I win now! See how silly this is? You probably don't.

You appear to be referring to 'post birth abortion'. Post birth abortion, or after-birth abortion, is not my term whatsoever. I did not make this up, popularize it, write a single one of the many news articles about it, or author any of the passed or pending legislation related to it. I am not selecting the terms used by political factions in American culture. For the thousandth time, you already know this.

We agree I am not smart, I don't know much. I am simply aware of what some common terms mean as is everyone here except for you and BobC. You can choose to believe whatever you want about anything, nobody has said you cannot think whatever you think. If you want to pretend pro-life is a hardline absolutist universal philosophy but pro-choice is not held to the same rule, you may. It's absurd and stupid, and some will tell you that, but people believe many absurd things.

No matter how stupid I am, a point which I will happily concede, and how satisfied you are with your virtue signaling redefinition, everyone here still knows exactly what pro-life and pro-choice actually mean.
Glad the point was conceded.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:34 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
Glad the point was conceded.
Your personal obsession is weird.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:16 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
It must be Chiffon!
If you think it's butter, but it's not... it's Chiffon

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 06-08-2022, 05:06 AM
Kyle May

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-injured.html

This just a few days after a 30+ person massacre at a church in Nigeria(?) and a firebombing at a pro-life facility in NY. Violence isn't gun-related. Violence is people-related. It's also not restricted by country, so let's quit pretending like the rest of the world has it right. Not saying we're perfect as a country, but America's positive qualities attract caravans of immigrants for a reason. Quit blaming inanimate objects and focus on how we can improve the people that control the objects.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 06-08-2022 at 05:11 AM.
Old 06-08-2022, 11:41 AM
Wayne V

Default Back to the poll

I own no guns.
Statistically, you or a member of your family is more likely to be killed or injured by a gun if you own one than if you don't own one.
That's enough for me.
Old 06-08-2022, 01:40 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonballsun View Post
I own no guns.
Statistically, you or a member of your family is more likely to be killed or injured by a gun if you own one than if you don't own one.
That's enough for me.
Statistically, should the need arise, you are virtually defenseless.
Old 06-08-2022, 02:39 PM
Wayne V

Default Self defense

The chance anyone would have to defend themself with a gun (in a holdup or something like that) is very small. I can't think of anyone I know that had to do that.
I did have a coworker commit suicide with a gun. I did have another coworker who almost shot his son in the middle of the night. His son had forgot his keys and snuck into the house. It was a really close call.
I did have another coworker who was shot and killed by his wife. I don't know the details on that. The rumor was he was abusive to his wife, but I don't really know.
I had another coworker get loaded and stoned and go to his mother and father in laws house to pick up his daughter. They wouldn't give him his daughter (as he was drunk and stoned), and he started waving his gun around and put a few bullets in the walls or floor. Thankfully he didn't shoot anybody, but he spent over a year in jail. If his in-laws had a gun, he would probably be dead now.
By now you're thinking, what kind of place do I work at. There are a lot of people that work there, probably over 500. Anyway, guns are dangerous, beyond a doubt.
Old 06-08-2022, 03:23 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
The chance anyone would have to defend themself with a gun (in a holdup or something like that) is very small. I can't think of anyone I know that had to do that.
I did have a coworker commit suicide with a gun. I did have another coworker who almost shot his son in the middle of the night. His son had forgot his keys and snuck into the house. It was a really close call.
I did have another coworker who was shot and killed by his wife. I don't know the details on that. The rumor was he was abusive to his wife, but I don't really know.
I had another coworker get loaded and stoned and go to his mother and father in laws house to pick up his daughter. They wouldn't give him his daughter (as he was drunk and stoned), and he started waving his gun around and put a few bullets in the walls or floor. Thankfully he didn't shoot anybody, but he spent over a year in jail. If his in-laws had a gun, he would probably be dead now.
By now you're thinking, what kind of place do I work at. There are a lot of people that work there, probably over 500. Anyway, guns are dangerous, beyond a doubt.
That is your opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs. I don't think guns kill, I think people do. And I would rather have the option of defending myself, with a gun, in my own home than not having the option.
Old 06-08-2022, 03:28 PM
Wayne V

Default Okay

I really can't argue with your opinion. It is a valid point of view
Old 06-08-2022, 05:11 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Neither of us knows, but it could be that he was trying to kill her and the gun saved her life.

My point is that guns can be used for different purposes, and a gun in the hand of someone being violently attacked can save an innocent person's life. There are two sides to it and it all comes down to the person, not the gun itself.
Old 06-08-2022, 05:49 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Anyway, guns are dangerous, beyond a doubt.
I notice that in all four of these incidents no gun discharged itself of it’s own volition. People choose to do things, and some people make terrible choices (though it’s not clear to me the wife one was necessarily in this category). People make bad choices with all manner of tools. One is more likely to be bludgeoned to death with a heavy object than to be killed with any kind of rifle (mostly what the regulators and banners want to regulate and ban).

A friend of mine was stabbed in a street robbery a couple years ago. Was that the fault of the criminal who chose to rob and stab him, or of the knife itself? I think almost everyone would say the person who did the stabbing.

Guns themselves are extremely safe (some collectors pieces from long ago are a different story), and have numerous safeties that eliminate any chance that they will discharge without a person putting their finger on the trigger and pulling it.

Criminals will commit violent crime with any tool at hand, legal or otherwise, as history shows us. I don’t see how a responsible citizen being permitted to defend themselves should they be the victim makes the world or society less safe instead of more safe. Places swamped with guns are often the safest places. There has never been a crime committed at my sportsman’s club.
Old 06-09-2022, 05:30 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Disregard

Last edited by jimjim; 06-09-2022 at 05:32 AM.
Old 06-09-2022, 07:22 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I own no guns.
That's enough for me.
Quote:
https://youtu.be/tad1jm-jbl8
Old 06-09-2022, 07:37 AM
Joel

As a nearly 20 yr teacher I’ll chime in on just the educational front.

1. A school I taught at for 8 years was compromised by an ex student who shot out a side door. Luckily the school and law enforcement received information that this was about to happen from his mother. Police were on the scene immediately and entered behind him.

2. The school had locked internal doors that the shooter tried but couldn’t enter classrooms. The camera system allowed the principal to keep LEO updated in real time where the shooter was.

3. His gun choice imo was a huge factor in only him dying. A bolt action rifle. The idea that high capacity magazines aren’t a problem in these events seems to ignore school massacre evidence. Each time this happens law enforcement talks about how they were out armed. This particular time they weren’t and the shooter took his life knowing he was cornered in a stairwell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2022, 09:37 AM

275440238_3131908303764493_5208242249982181210_n.jpg275569253_10227288217373923_6763651897885935029_n.jpg

Old 06-09-2022, 10:05 AM
Ben North

Quote:
That side by side pic of Ortiz is awesome.
Old 06-09-2022, 11:04 AM
D@le Irv*n

How old are you?

Just because you don't find this topic, in the off topic section, important, interesting nor wish to engage in conversation about it doesn't mean that others don't.

Would you like it if someone did the same to one of your threads or posted random, off topic pics in one of your BST posts for example?
Old 06-09-2022, 11:20 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
How old are you?

Just because you don't find this topic, in the off topic section, important, interesting nor wish to engage in conversation about it doesn't mean that others don't.

Would you like it if someone did the same to one of your threads or posted random, off topic pics in one of your BST posts for example?
+1...and it's against the rules that few have read. They have been posted since day 1....

Last edited by Leon; 06-09-2022 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-09-2022, 11:23 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
How old are you?

Just my opinion but subjects like this have no real conversations going on. You have people posting their very biased opinions. No one is going to change that opinion so threads like this turn into name calling because we all believe we are correct and others are idiots on the subject.

Personally I enjoy reading them as humor and the silly/funny pictures add to that enjoyment. I am 53 if that matters.

Last edited by bnorth; 06-09-2022 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-09-2022, 12:34 PM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Just my opinion but subjects like this have no real conversations going on. You have people posting their very biased opinions. No one is going to change that opinion so threads like this turn into name calling because we all believe we are correct and others are idiots on the subject.

Personally I enjoy reading them as humor and the silly/funny pictures add to that enjoyment. I am 53 if that matters.
I don't know about this. I'm a gun owner and I'm actually starting to change my mind on parts of the debate. For example, would it be terrible to have to be 21 to buy a gun?

I think that when you have to write your opinion, as opposed to shouting it on tv, it's more likely to influence others' opinions - at least those who know how to read and are willing to read opposing views. I actually enjoy these threads once in a while.
Old 06-09-2022, 12:49 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
I don't know about this. I'm a gun owner and I'm actually starting to change my mind on parts of the debate. For example, would it be terrible to have to be 21 to buy a gun?

I think that when you have to write your opinion, as opposed to shouting it on tv, it's more likely to influence others' opinions - at least those who know how to read and are willing to read opposing views. I actually enjoy these threads once in a while.
+1. A thoughtful, reasoned opinion can often sway me.

I'm an NRA member but think 21 sounds reasonable too. I also think it wouldn't keep guns out of the hands of teenagers. Cocaine is illegal everywhere and has been for decades. Yet it's quite readily available nationwide (so I hear.) Passing more laws does not mean the bad guys will obey them. Still, we need reasonable laws.
Old 06-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:

+2. I have shifted my opinion on many subjects because I found a better, more logical argument than I had crafted myself.
Old 06-09-2022, 01:44 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:

+3! I've found this thread mostly respectful and have learned a few things.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 06-09-2022, 03:41 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
+3! I've found this thread mostly respectful and have learned a few things.
I understand where the poster was coming from that big issue discussions don’t typically change minds but guns might be different. Abortion, death penalty, those probably don’t go anywhere. With guns, there might be a chance of reaching a better position than the one we’re in. I think the basic starting point is the right needs to understand the left doesn’t want to take away all of their guns. The left needs to understand the right isn’t in favor of mass shootings or even singular, unjustified shootings. We have a long history of gun ownership and there are an abundance of guns in this country. So both sides need to see if there are changes that can be made that result in a net benefit without all of the demonizing of the other side.