NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-15-2022, 03:11 PM
Scott Russell

Default NFT's and Beanie Babies, interesting article

Mainly about Beanies but a section on NFT's

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/228702...=pocket-newtab
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 01-15-2022 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:24 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

NFTs are not an organic market, it's a manufacturered market. Not saying money can't be made in NFT's but one should know the difference before investing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 01-15-2022, 03:52 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
NFTs are not an organic market, it's a manufacturered market. Not saying money can't be made in NFT's but one should know the difference before investing.
Pretty much one of the points of comparison in the article. It comes down to the old saying "If it's made to be collectible, it's not" of course that's what manufactured scarcity is intended to combat, whether it's in Beanie Babies, Cards or NFT's
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 01-15-2022 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:14 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Old rule of thumb when supply is infinite and demand is not, prices will fall!!
Old 01-15-2022, 04:20 PM
Rob

What was the last "organic" rookie card? Was it Rickey Henderson? When did all the companies start making "rated rookies" and "prookies"? Modern cards are made to be "valuable" right out of the box, and wildly traded, not unlike an nft.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:47 PM
Kyle May

I'm open to listening to any and all * legal * methods to make more money to buy more cards. NFTs, crypto, beanie babies... whatever it takes. All about timing, though. NFTs & crypto hold a bit more solidified weight it seems, but stuff like beanie babies has a rise, then a permanent fall.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 01-15-2022, 04:59 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
I'm open to listening to any and all * legal * methods to make more money to buy more cards. NFTs, crypto, beanie babies... whatever it takes. All about timing, though. NFTs & crypto hold a bit more solidified weight it seems, but stuff like beanie babies has a rise, then a permanent fall.

Just take out a pandemic protection loan, even if you need 6o pay back 1%, it's a great short term loan because cards just go up. (Not financial advice) oh then brag on the monthly pickup thread, almost forgot that one!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-15-2022, 06:19 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Just take out a pandemic protection loan, even if you need 6o pay back 1%, it's a great short term loan because cards just go up. (Not financial advice) oh then brag on the monthly pickup thread, almost forgot that one!
Hahahahahahaahahhaa!!!!!
Old 01-15-2022, 08:34 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
Read the article. There are Beanies that still sell for thousands including one from 2016

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 01-15-2022 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:19 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

still got my princess diana bear stowed away in the closet. Never gave much thought to it anyways.
I dont know crap about crypto currency, and i hope i dont.

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 01-16-2022 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:48 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Funny I never thought much of Beanies and my 13 year old daughter has tons of them. Her and her friends recently took inventory and researched the values of the ones they have and the surprised valuation’s and they are now looking for investment ones.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-16-2022, 10:21 AM
Tom Re.bert

Default Beanies Baby Craze--again?

1997 was a great year for selling Beanie's--I acquired 8 princess bears when they were released. A collector was upset because I wouldn't sell them all for $350.00 each. Sold the last few for $500/per. My better sale was a scarce bear at for $1500.00. Right before the market crashed a local TV station bought around 500 for a promotion of some kind. I kept 100 or so bears and few others. It's possible those young kids of 1997 might go after those little toys just as we did with baseball cards of our youth, only time will tell!
Old 01-16-2022, 02:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I saw a documentary recently (HBO?) on the beanie craze. It was the female version of the junk wax era.

What's next, pogs?

Speaking of pogs, thread needs a card

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-16-2022 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 03:27 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I kept reading 'Beanies' but I kept thinking 'modern cards' with their manipulated supply and demand not built on ownership, but on never ending price escalation.

And then I thought about all of the collectible markets, including the little pieces of cardboard that we chase. Of course some are more robust than others, but they are all built on the premise of 'what someone is willing to pay'.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 01-18-2022, 10:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default cdv

I need fungible. Like holding this in my hand..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cdv1.jpg (68.2 KB, 498 views)
Old 01-18-2022, 10:42 AM
Brian K

NFT's puzzle me. I am a designer/illustrator and have been approached by several people saying that it is the "Way of the Future" and I could make a ton of money doing it. Much like everything else, people don't want what I bring to the table, they just want what is already out there, recycled or respun with a faux rarity in it, and nothing that exists outside of the digital realm. My new year's resolution has been to stay away from digital things, and stop doing commissions for people, going back to just producing the work that I do.

I think that is the equation for falling into a "starving artist" lifestyle, which is good, because I have a good 25lbs to lose this year! Not sure the Mrs will be on board though!!
Old 01-18-2022, 01:15 PM

I think some NFTs make sense, even a lot of sense. I think NFTs are similar to trade marks or copywrites, which are hardly novel. Trade Mark is defined as "A name, symbol, or other device used to identify and promote a product or service, especially an officially registered name or symbol that is thereby protected against use by others." A trade mark is an ownership interest in an intangible item, and it has value -- the Nike Swoosh, Tony the Tiger, the McDonalds Arch, etc. There is no inherent value in the Nike Swoosh, and it can be seen everywhere and be reproduced easily, but that sucker is a worth a buttload!

A copywrite is defined as "the exclusive legal right to reproduce, publish, sell, or distribute the matter and form of something (such as a literary, musical, or artistic work)". You can hear Hey Jude by the Beatles all over the radio. You can sing it yourself and learn it on the guitar. Yet someone owns the rights to that song and can license it and make real money. Plus, there is substantial value in owning the rights to Hey Jude

To me, NFTs are the "tangible" property version of a trade mark or copywrite. Take, for example, NFTs that are artwork or symbols. These make sense to me and I understand why they could have value. For example, you can see the image of Starry Night by Van Gogh everywhere and there are a zillion reproductions/copies. Yet there is only one original Starry Night by Van Gogh, and that original is priceless. Thus, if an artwork NFT was ever to gain huge popularity, I think having the original/the only actual would be very valuable, both in its own right and for licensing purposes.

Suppose someone created an NFT that served as the symbol for the BLM movement or the LBGQ rainbow. Even though the symbol is used everywhere and can be recreated easily, having the original/the actual NFT would have real value.

Thus, I understand this aspect of NFTs and why/how they can have value. THAT SAID, here is what I think does not make sense with NFTs:

1. They are relatively easy to make and there are so many of them being made. I dont know the percentage, but I would guess that less than 0.01% of all original artwork being produced today will be worth in a year (let alone 10 years) what it sells for in a gallery today; indeed, it may be relatively worthless. I fear there are so many NFTs out there, and more being made all the time, that everyone is rushing to own one (or more) and nobody will eventually care about a monkey with a blue beanie, just as nobody cares about another landscape painted in oil. Some NFTs will have major value, but I think it will be a very small percent and who knows which ones that will be.

2. I totally do not understand the plays/video clips. You are not going to license a block by Zion and you can find it all over the internet and who cares, let alone understands, that you "own" that video clip. To me, this is not like digital art or a symbol. I do not understand them

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 01-18-2022 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:19 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I think some NFTs make sense, even a lot of sense. I think NFTs are similar to trade marks or copywrites, which are hardly novel. Trade Mark is defined as "A name, symbol, or other device used to identify and promote a product or service, especially an officially registered name or symbol that is thereby protected against use by others." A trade mark is an ownership interest in an intangible item, and it has value -- the Nike Swoosh, Tony the Tiger, the McDonalds Arch, etc. There is no inherent value in the Nike Swoosh, and it can be seen everywhere and be reproduced easily, but that sucker is a worth a buttload!

A copywrite is defined as "the exclusive legal right to reproduce, publish, sell, or distribute the matter and form of something (such as a literary, musical, or artistic work)". You can hear Hey Jude by the Beatles all over the radio. You can sing it yourself and learn it on the guitar. Yet someone owns the rights to that song and can license it and make real money. Plus, there is substantial value in owning the rights to Hey Jude

To me, NFTs are the "tangible" property version of a trade mark or copywrite. Take, for example, NFTs that are artwork or symbols. These make sense to me and I understand why they could have value. For example, you can see the image of Starry Night by Van Gogh everywhere and there are a zillion reproductions/copies. Yet there is only one original Starry Night by Van Gogh, and that original is priceless. Thus, if an artwork NFT was ever to gain huge popularity, I think having the original/the only actual would be very valuable, both in its own right and for licensing purposes.

Suppose someone created an NFT that served as the symbol for the BLM movement or the LBGQ rainbow. Even though the symbol is used everywhere and can be recreated easily, having the original/the actual NFT would have real value.

Thus, I understand this aspect of NFTs and why/how they can have value. THAT SAID, here is what I think does not make sense with NFTs:

1. They are relatively easy to make and there are so many of them being made. I dont know the percentage, but I would guess that less than 0.01% of all original artwork being produced today will be worth in a year (let alone 10 years) what it sells for in a gallery today; indeed, it may be relatively worthless. I fear there are so many NFTs out there, and more being made all the time, that everyone is rushing to own one (or more) and nobody will eventually care about a monkey with a blue beanie, just as nobody cares about another landscape painted in oil. Some NFTs will have major value, but I think it will be a very small percent and who knows which ones that will be.

2. I totally do not understand the plays/video clips. You are not going to license a block by Zion and you can find it all over the internet and who cares, let alone understands, that you "own" that video clip. To me, this is not like digital art or a symbol. I do not understand them
Ryan,

Not really into the NFT thinking myself because they aren't tangible items, but I think I can understand where you're coming from. It's something like saying that '52 Topps Mantle cards are all valuable, but there is only one '52 Mantle card that was the very first to ever be printed and come off the production line. And if that first ever one could be identified and verified, it could be worth even more money to at least some people. Am I on the right line of thinking?

If so, I wonder if the card companies ever thought of maybe taking the first ever sheet(s) of cards they produce for every set and begin setting them aside for some later promotion or sale as the designated first ever cards produced. Modern card production seems to be mostly about manufactured rarities. Well here's another type of rarity they've actually been producing all along, just never recognized and took advantage of before. People often collect milestone examples of things, ticket stubs from games where milestones are achieved, the actual ball hit or pitched for the milestone, etc. Along with designating the the first ever of each card produced, they could do the same thing at say the 1 millionth of each card produced. There's bound to be some suckers.......errrrrr, collectors that will happily pay more for that milestone card. These NFTs seem to be somewhat along the same lines then.

But here's a legal question then. If you do acquire an NFT, and then see someone posting or using an image of it elsewhere, can you take them to court to have it removed or taken down since they used it without having first gotten your permission to do so as the NFT owner? Or even better, if the party using an NFT image you own uses it without your permission, and they are in whatever manning somehow making money off that NFT image, can you also sue them for the profits they've earned off it (or at least some share of it)? And how does that work if someone posts and uses your NFT image without your permission, and then someone else besides them copies, re-sends, or otherwise uses that unauthorized image and somehow makes money off of it, can you as the NFT owner go after and sue these secondary users also? Or is my original thinking correct, and owning an NFT is like owning the first ever '52 Topps Mantle card ever produced? Anyone else can have and use their '52 Topps Mantle card any way they like, but you only own the first one produced, and have no say or control over what everyone else does with their own copy of the card.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:28 PM
Ben North

Quote:

NTFs limited like modern shiny cards makes sense to me in the high end watch market. Some are insanely rare and the owners don't openly post pictures. I know it is being discussed and hopefully it happens. There are watches I would buy NTFs of.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:17 PM

Bob, I think thats a reasonable comparison. Or, consider original negative of a very famous photo. Imagine you had the negative of Ruth bowing out in his last game. The actual negative. You could make a millions pics off it, but there is only one negative. I think thats what an NFT is like, except its not tangible, its digital. But you can take it to another level - I can produce 20 photos from the negative, label them 1-20 and then destroy the negative or somehow retire it so more pics can be made. You can do this with an NFT too - make a limited edition/run, 1 of 20 of the same thing. Or, you can make some dumb monkey with 85 different hats on and sell each one of those hat-monkeys as an NFT that is part of the larger monkey-hat run. I am not saying this is a good buy, but only trying to explain, in somewhat "earthly" terms, what I think an NFT is.

And, as the owner, I think you would be able to bring actions against people who used your NFT without licensing it/permission; just like if someone used my painting or song in a commercial or movie.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:31 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Bob, I think thats a reasonable comparison. Or, consider original negative of a very famous photo. Imagine you had the negative of Ruth bowing out in his last game. The actual negative. You could make a millions pics off it, but there is only one negative. I think thats what an NFT is like, except its not tangible, its digital. But you can take it to another level - I can produce 20 photos from the negative, label them 1-20 and then destroy the negative or somehow retire it so more pics can be made. You can do this with an NFT too - make a limited edition/run, 1 of 20 of the same thing. Or, you can make some dumb monkey with 85 different hats on and sell each one of those hat-monkeys as an NFT that is part of the larger monkey-hat run. I am not saying this is a good buy, but only trying to explain, in somewhat "earthly" terms, what I think an NFT is.

And, as the owner, I think you would be able to bring actions against people who used your NFT without licensing it/permission; just like if someone used my painting or song in a commercial or movie.

I agree that there is value in having the original. The issue with NFT’s is that ppl think they own the jpeg or video which isn’t actually true. The NFT is stored on a server somewhere and the address is stored on the blockchain in a smart contract which is what you actually buy. If the server crashed or shutdown or the file is deleted/moved then your nft is gone. All you are buying is a number that points to a server somewhere that tells you what resides there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2022, 06:33 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Beanie Babies bring back a lot of memories. I remember at one point, baseball cards shows also included Beanie Baby dealers. I'll never forget the time when McDonald's was giving out mini versions each week and locations were running out of them after the first couple days. My girlfriend at the time had me driving to every McDonald's within a 200 mile radius. Then we'd sell them for $20 each. I still have a large comicbook box of them, along with other random regular issues.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 01-18-2022, 10:49 PM
Bob C.

Quote:

Okay Ryan, I think we're on the same page then in understanding these NFTs, and still not sure why people are willing to pay so much for them. As you said, these are digital images, not something tangible. So one digital image is exactly the same as every other similar one out there, unlike say a work of art where the artist also puts out a limited edition number of prints of that piece. Those prints will never be exactly the same as the original painting, and you can always tell the original from a print. Not so sure that is the case with an NFT digital image. Guess it is a lot of the old fart in me that has a hard time valuing such non-tangible items so highly, because once that digital image gets out there for all to see, copy, and forward, its out there. You won't be physically able to know of and sue everyone who now may have a copy of it as well.

That's why I alluded to an NFT as maybe like the first ever '52 Topps Mantle card to be made. You don't have the only one, just the first one. So the value is in the bragging rights of saying you have the first one. But with these digital images, exact copies can be quickly and easily made, and then forwarded to a huge, ever expanding, number of people. Not the same as owning the negative and then making prints one by one, or having someone then try making a copy from one of the prints, that will never come out as good as a print made from the original negative.

I guess I'll never understand the younger generations and what they see in all these new things. Maybe that's the main problem with the world in general, things are changing too fast and too quickly. Just thinking back to when I was born in the '50s, and all the technological advances and discoveries that have occurred during my life up to now, it almost literally dwarfs all of mankind's combined previous advances and discoveries up till then. Just look how the hobby itself has changed in the last 30-40 years, and the further unknown changes coming with the Fanatic's dealings, things like these NFTs, and God knows what else. As a former colleague of mine and I always used to say to each other, "I'm getting too old for this sh#t!"
Old 01-19-2022, 12:20 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The value of a copyright, patent or trademark on a digital image is the right to use it and sell the right to use it. If the NFT came with the copyright so you could license it then it would have some independent value. But as they stand now, they do not, so the comparison with other forms of intellectual property is inapposite.

Or not...
Old 01-19-2022, 01:55 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
I agree that there is value in having the original. The issue with NFT’s is that ppl think they own the jpeg or video which isn’t actually true. The NFT is stored on a server somewhere and the address is stored on the blockchain in a smart contract which is what you actually buy. If the server crashed or shutdown or the file is deleted/moved then your nft is gone. All you are buying is a number that points to a server somewhere that tells you what resides there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Very good point, and one of my issues and reasons for asking what do you actually own, and what are your legal rights, in regards to such ownership. Here's where my business experience, auditor's background, and professional skepticism starts screaming. As you said, the NFT is actually stored on a server somewhere, and can have all the bad things happened as you described. So........

First off, if I pay some ridiculous amount of money for an NFT, why can't I have it moved and stored on a server I own and/control, or can I? And even if I do have it moved, how can I be sure that the NFT from the original server was not somehow copied and saved on that original server, or elsewhere? I guess I would simply have to take someone's word for it, right? Unlike buying say a T205 Addie Joss card and knowing I, and I alone have it, as I actually hold the card in my hand when delivered.

Secondly, if I can't have it moved, I'm sure I'll be told not to worry, computer technology and safeties are in place so I shouldn't ever have any fears or concerns when it comes to my NFT, and reports, documents or verifications I need to feel safe and secure are available from whoever does own/control the server my NFT is stored in. Yeah, just like people that invested with Bernie Madoff or owned stock in Enron could count on those computer generated reports and data to give them that warm and fuzzy feeling that their records and investments were safe and secure. And those were in industries that are highly regulated and subject to specific governmental department (SEC) oversight.

And thirdly, continuing from my last comment, many people would likely argue and say NFTs aren't really all that different from investing in the stock market. You own an intangible interest in something you never really physically see, own, or touch, and record keeping of your ownership is electronically maintained by massive companies and their computer systems, and Wall Street in general. But the entire system and industry is subject to relentless scrutiny and oversight by the government, specifically the SEC, along with other independent groups and watchdogs, like independent CPAs. And who, or what part of the government, is watching over these NFTs and this entirely new digital market, that suddenly arose seemingly out of nowhere, to make sure that people buying into it aren't getting taken advantage of or ripped off? Exactly!!!

Already mentioned the physical advantage of owning and being able to hold and control a T205 Joss card versus owning an NFT. So fourthly, I can also call an insurance company to show and send them a picture of my Joss card, and have it insured for theft, loss, damage, and so on. Can you do that with an NFT, especially if it is not stored on a server you own or control? And assuming an insurance company did agree to cover your NFT, exactly how would that insurance company value it, and possibly pay off on such a claim if say your 1/1 NFT of Gronk doing something idiotic at a party, that you stupidly paid.........errrrrr, smartly invested $50,000 for, was somehow suddenly erased from the server it was on? Especially when a claims agent can probably just go online and literally find hundreds of images of Gronk acting like an idiot, and simply ask you how many different images of him being an idiot would you like him/her to download and send to you to replace the one you lost. Or maybe even worse for you, the claims agent goes online and finds a copy of the exact image you lost, and simply downloads and emails it to you, along with a simple message, "Claim Closed!". Regardless, not sure why an insurer would agree to just give what you willingly paid someone else for it, especially if you haven't been able to use the NFT to generate income to file a loss of revenue type of claim for, or show there is an established secondary market, and therefore, a discernible value to be able to determine for it. At least that's maybe one more advantage I can see for physically owning a T205 Joss card, ease in getting it insured by a reputable insurance company.

I'm concerned these NFTs may eventually turn out to be a lot like all the GU cards they started producing back in the '90s. They started out as something new, real popular, and somewhat valuable, so the card companies kept churning more and more of them out for the same players over and over again. It has gotten to the point where if you go to a show, you'll see dealers with boxes of old game used cards they can't seem to give away today. So what's to stop that from happening with all the GU and limited edition cards they're still turning out for all the current player's eventually? There will always a few such cards that will retain their value, and possibly appreciate some over time. But I think that will mostly be limited to some of the very elite players, especially in regards to older players like Cobb, Ruth, or Wagner. In regards to GU cards, players like those truly have a very limited number of verified GU bats and jerseys that can be acquired and used by the card companies. True rarities because only a few have survived till today. Nothing like the manufactured rarities the modern card companies keep spitting out day after day now. And I can see a possible course like this for NFTs, and the people currently producing and selling them. The smart ones are probably those jumping on the bandwagon to sell NFTs now, before they become overdone and saturate the market and people begin losing interest, or maybe the next big thing comes along to start replacing them. Like perhaps three dimensional holographic NFTs. Who knows, these current NFTs could turn out to be the next Betamax.

Last edited by BobC; 01-19-2022 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:03 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
The value of a copyright, patent or trademark on a digital image is the right to use it and sell the right to use it. If the NFT came with the copyright so you could license it then it would have some independent value. But as they stand now, they do not, so the comparison with other forms of intellectual property is inapposite.
And that is one of the reasons I can't fathom why people would be paying so much for these NFTs. Is it possible that some people actually feel they'll be able too generate some future income from an NFT? If that turns out not to be true, a lot of people may be in for a rude awakening.

Last edited by BobC; 01-19-2022 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:25 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
And that is one of the reasons I can't fathom why people would be paying so much for these NFTs. Is it possible that some people actually feel they'll be able too generate some future income from an NFT? If that turns out to be true, a lot of people may be in for a rude awakening.
Well, greater fools theory is a thing. Plus some NFTs have embedded into the code information about the original owner, and every time it sells, a portion of the sale price is sent back to the creator's wallet. And some NFTs have the ability to be moved off one site (original purchase location) into a digital wallet somewhere else, to be sold on a different exchange or just stored there in case of crash/theft. TopShot minted their "moments" with the availability that they could be moved off-site, however Panini's original blockchain was more like an Excel spreadsheet with tracking and all transactions needed to stay there (so Panini gets a recurring cut of every sale).
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:13 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Well, greater fools theory is a thing. Plus some NFTs have embedded into the code information about the original owner, and every time it sells, a portion of the sale price is sent back to the creator's wallet. And some NFTs have the ability to be moved off one site (original purchase location) into a digital wallet somewhere else, to be sold on a different exchange or just stored there in case of crash/theft. TopShot minted their "moments" with the availability that they could be moved off-site, however Panini's original blockchain was more like an Excel spreadsheet with tracking and all transactions needed to stay there (so Panini gets a recurring cut of every sale).
I hear you.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:23 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Too funny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3766B227-F2F6-41DF-A823-8E2576C82D2F.jpg (10.1 KB, 370 views)
Old 01-19-2022, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
A painting does not come with a copyright. Nor do many other types of intellectual property, yet the owner has rights to enforce its non-use and to license its use. I don’t want to get into a legal debate.

Regardless, the analogy is not perfect, but as mentioned, I am trying to explain it to “earth people”, like Bob (and me), for whom the concept of an NFT can be tough to grasp. And this analogy, while not perfect, is plenty close enough for that purpose
Old 01-21-2022, 10:39 AM
Greg C

I was contacted to contribute to this article. I feel beanie babies will have a resurgence in some shape or form
Old 01-21-2022, 03:16 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
A painting does not come with a copyright. Nor do many other types of intellectual property, yet the owner has rights to enforce its non-use and to license its use.
Actually, all creative works have an automatic copyright, called a common law copyright, but to qualify for the draconian protections of the Federal law you have to register the work in DC. Otherwise, you literally do not have the right to exploit the painting, unless the artist has sold you the copyright, it has passed into the public domain, or the use you want to make of it constitutes a fair use of the painting. You may be thinking about an artist's right to produce an image with independent artistic merit of an otherwise copyrighted item (like Warhol's Campbell's soup cans), but you do not have the right to simply take a picture of a card and produce reprints or license others to create reprint cards. Here is a fun read on the subject of a sexualized Barbie parody:

https://www.rcfp.org/artistic-photos...ate-copyright/

The Copyright Act limits the rights of a copyright owner regarding works that build upon, reinterpret, and reconceive existing works. ... The factors are "to be explored, and the results weighed together, in light of the purposes of copyright." Id. at 578, 114 S.Ct. 1164. Depending on the particular facts, some factors may weigh more heavily than others. Id. at 577-79, 114 S.Ct. 1164. The four factors we consider are: (1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes; (2) the nature of the copyrighted work; (3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and (4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work. Dr. Seuss, 109 F.3d at 1399-1404 (analyzing and applying 17 U.S.C. § 107)."

Mattel Inc. v. Walking Mountain Productions, 353 F.3d 792 (2003)

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-21-2022 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:22 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

94-Piece Jumbo Beanie Baby Set - a special offer from the Beanie Babies Showroom, with your hosts Don West and Robert Chambers

Last edited by Gary Dunaier; 01-22-2022 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:09 AM
Jeff Willi@ms

Quote:

great post Ryan, can tell you get it. A few things to add:

1) your point about supply rapidly expanding is a good one. Most NFT's will not have any reasonable secondary market, and the ones that do are considered the "blue chips" of the space.

2) You're referring to NBA Top Shot, which occupy an interesting niche in NFT's, not fully decentralized like most on Ethereum, but still digitally, verifiably scarce. I agree with you that those don't seem valuable, but then again a lot of the younger generation would blush at the prices we pay for pictures of dead guys. Value is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 04-13-2022, 05:53 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

The merging of beanie babies and NFTs? Metta World Peace (formerly Ron Artest) has started an NFT company via Dapper (home of NBATopShot and NFLAllDay) where they are minting 10,000 Meta Pandas.
For $199 they will mint you a fresh panda NFT of your own, and you also receive $199 "worth of merchandise" like swag jackets that they will mail to you.

If you happen to get serial numbers ending in 37 or 96, you get some additional perks. There is a live kickoff party Friday night in LA if you happen to get randomly gifted with an invite NFT.

I missed out on Bored Apes, so I bought 4. No joke. Let's see if chubby panda basketball gifs can go to the moon... ;-)

www.metapandaclub.com
Old 04-13-2022, 06:12 PM
Matt

Old 04-13-2022, 06:16 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Art is a terrible model. I recently had an estate to liquidate and the artwork was worth about 5% of what the owners paid for it. Very disappointing. If you catch a Basquiat early you make a fortune but 99.999% of the time it just takes up space and ends up at Goodwill.

Or not...
Old 04-13-2022, 06:24 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
That doesn't really surprise me. Those were way overhyped at the time. We'll see if I just burned $800 for some leather jackets or actually turn a profit on it over time.
Old 04-13-2022, 06:58 PM
octavio ranzola

Does anyone have one of Gary vees childish drawings I’d like to invest in one😊😊
Old 04-13-2022, 07:26 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Will the person holding the last non fungible token please turn out the lights when they leave the room...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 04-13-2022, 07:59 PM

The above example of Jack Dorsey's first tweet is why I have always insisted that my tokens, including tokens of appreciation, be fungible.

Brian
Old 04-13-2022, 08:39 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Nft? Bfd.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-13-2022 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:53 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default John

I might be interested in one of the jackets :-)