NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-03-2021, 09:56 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
Talked to a guy at the national who has a BGS playoff contender Brady 10 at PWCC. He needed cash for a downpayment on a house and was able to get a $1mm loan on the card.
Interested to know what rate and terms?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-03-2021, 10:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Open an account and find out.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:21 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Open an account and find out.
Ha, no thanks. I'm in the loan business so I enjoy running the numbers. I'll just keep building my collection "cash & carry" like the old days.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-03-2021, 11:29 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
I wonder if there will be capital calls if the market for that card starts heading south.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:47 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I wonder if there will be capital calls if the market for that card starts heading south.
LOL

Good one, but that is why I'm guessing such loans/advances are at least initially going to be more short term in nature, and are likely tied to sales consignments rather than "vault" submissions to be held for an indeterminate amount of time.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:11 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Like I was saying earlier, would love to see some of the actual documents and paperwork they have these people signing. Also wondering if this isn't just an advance on a sale consignment of the card, as opposed to a true loan with PWCC holding the card as collateral. Regardless, this could possibly be a huge reason they got so much in alleged "vault" submissions during the National. The bulk of those $100M in submissions could have actually been consignments more so than just people putting cards in their "vault" to be held for some unknown period of time. Especially if those people doing the submitting were also looking to get advances/loans against their cards right away.

I understand PWCC does quite well, but if they are getting submissions and then giving out such advances/loans of the nature mentioned, I'd have to speculate they don't have that much cash just lying around to continue doing such advances/loans if they expect to continue this going forward. And if they do continue this, I would expect they would look to get financing to supply them with cash to cover such advances/loans. I don't see normal banks going to approve such financing (or being allowed to under current regulations) if the collateral is primarily sports cards, which would seem to leave it for private investment companies/investors to step in then.

OMG - If this is now going to be the case going forward, we are truly seeing the transformation of our hobby into an industry dealing in investment commodities. Instead of someone buying and selling cards to make money, this is where someone can make money off the capital loaned to others buying and selling their cards. So PWCC (and/or whomever is supplying them with cash) is possibly becoming the first J.G. Wentworth type of company to start taking advantage of people dealing in cards. Unbelievable if this turns out to be true.

And now would like to find out even more how these advances/loans are going to be paid for with charged interest, or some other type of payment/charge to cover the carrying costs of whomever is fronting the money. If there is an interest charge in their somewhere, that in and of itself could have different tax implications depending on whether or not the person paying the interest is a dealer, investor, or collector. And if not necessarily an interest charge per se, can whatever charges are being incurred then be applied towards the basis of cards eventually sold so the seller gets some tax break? This could get real interesting going forward?
Old 08-04-2021, 03:47 AM
Johnny MaZilli

I’ve been saying it since it started the vault is a brokerage/trading account for your slabs. I don’t want any part of it. I want the cards in my possession for the long term. It’s also a easy way for the AH to keep you as their customer, not venturing to other AH’s.

It’s also about leverage buying with cards as collateral etc. They attract customers/investors with tax shelter marketing well guess what it only saves you from sales tax, not profit on gain. Wait till you get that check your gonna have to claim it.

Last edited by Johnny630; 08-04-2021 at 03:55 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:18 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I’ve been saying it since it started the vault is a brokerage/trading account for your slabs. I don’t want any part of it. I want the cards in my possession for the long term. It’s also a easy way for the AH to keep you as their customer, not venturing to other AH’s.

It’s also about leverage buying with cards as collateral etc. They attract customers/investors with tax shelter marketing well guess what it only saves you from sales tax, not profit on gain. Wait till you get that check your gonna have to claim it.
Great observation, though I initially assumed the main focus of the "vault" concept was precipitated by the sales tax loophole idea, and to then use that to channel and retain more business for the AH. Just look at the timing and creation of the concept relative to the S Dakota Vs. Wayfair case decision by the Supreme Court, and the fact that the original PWCC "vault" operation was specifically set up in one of the few states without a sales tax.

The idea of using it like a brokerage account is I think possibly more a function of the impact the pandemic has had on the hobby overall, and the unbelievable surge in prices that have occured as a result. That impact didn't start till around two years after the Supreme Court decision so, would assume it was less of a factor in creating the "vault" concept, at least initially. If nothing else, the pandemic impact has radically quickened the additional use of such an operation as a type of brokerage account, and possibly even supplanted the original main concept of using it as a sales tax loophole. How else do you explain the $100M in "vault" submissions PWCC allegedly got during the National? The sales tax savings only occurs if the items are purchased online and shipped directly to a location in a state with no sales tax, not hand delivered by the owner while in Chicago.

What will be extremely interesting is to see how this "vault" concept grows, and possibly morphs, in the future. The fact that Goldin took on the concept that PWCC originally started already tells you that others in the hobby have recognized this as a possible way to grow and make more money in the business. So does that mean other AHs may start getting into the "vault" business to compete and maintain their current clientele and standing, or that entirely separate companies that don't even sell or auction off cards could jump into the "vault" business and end up being like financial advisors, only dealing in cards? Who knows at this point where this could go. I would think a lot of this will be predicated on how the card market reacts and goes as we eventually get out of the major effects from the pandemic and back into more normal times, whatever the new normal ends up being post pandemic. If the card markets end up severely tanking post pandemic, and we see major price drops in the high end market across the board, I think that would negatively impact the use of "vaults" other than for those still looking to take advantage of the sales tax loophole. But bcause of all the the changes and infusion of new money and investors in the "hobby", I think there is already too much invested by those new people to just let things fail apart and bottom out. An adjustment to the market and correction of prices for a time, yes can see that, but would also suspect it to have greater impact on the modern card side of things. I would think the vintage market will continue to do well and maintain, if not actually seeing increases overral as collectors/investors may move from modern to vintage at some time. At least for the foreseeable future. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited by BobC; 08-04-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:55 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Great observation, though I initially assumed the main focus of the "vault" concept was precipitated by the sales tax loophole idea, and to then use that to channel and retain more business for the AH. Just look at the timing and creation of the concept relative to the S Dakota Vs. Wayfair case decision by the Supreme Court, and the fact that the original PWCC "vault" operation was specifically set up in one of the few states without a sales tax.

The idea of using it like a brokerage account is I think possibly more a function of the impact the pandemic has had on the hobby overall, and the unbelievable surge in prices that have occured as a result. That impact didn't start till around two years after the Supreme Court decision so, would assume it was less of a factor in creating the "vault" concept, at least initially. If nothing else, the pandemic impact has radically quickened the additional use of such an operation as a type of brokerage account, and possibly even supplanted the original main concept of using it as a sales tax loophole. How else do you explain the $100M in "vault" submissions PWCC allegedly got during the National? The sales tax savings only occurs if the items are purchased online and shipped directly to a location in a state with no sales tax, not hand delivered by the owner while in Chicago.

What will be extremely interesting is to see how this "vault" concept grows, and possibly morphs, in the future. The fact that Goldin took on the concept that PWCC originally started already tells you that others in the hobby have recognized this as a possible way to grow and make more money in the business. So does that mean other AHs may start getting into the "vault" business to compete and maintain their current clientele and standing, or that entirely separate companies that don't even sell or auction off cards could jump into the "vault" business and end up being like financial advisors, only dealing in cards? Who knows at this point where this could go. I would think a lot of this will be predicated on how the card market reacts and goes as we eventually get out of the major effects from the pandemic and back into more normal times, whatever the new normal ends up being post pandemic. If the card markets end up severely tanking post pandemic, and we see major price drops in the high end market across the board, I think that would negatively impact the use of "vaults" other than for those still looking to take advantage of the sales tax loophole. But bcause of all the the changes and infusion of new money and investors in the "hobby", I think there is already too much invested by those new people to just let things fail apart and bottom out. An adjustment to the market and correction of prices for a time, yes can see that, but would also suspect it to have greater impact on the modern card side of things. I would think the vintage market will continue to do well and maintain, if not actually seeing increases overral as collectors/investors may move from modern to vintage at some time. At least for the foreseeable future. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
+1

Spot On.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

First thread about the vault I think.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...ighlight=vault

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:05 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
First thread about the vault I think.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...ighlight=vault
Nevermind, my bad. I thought you were referring to this current thread being the first about the "vault".

Last edited by BobC; 08-04-2021 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Nevermind, my bad. I thought you were referring to this current thread being the first about the "vault".
As I recall sales tax was certainly a big emphasis of his initial pitch.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:07 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Like I was saying earlier, would love to see some of the actual documents and paperwork they have these people signing. Also wondering if this isn't just an advance on a sale consignment of the card, as opposed to a true loan with PWCC holding the card as collateral. Regardless, this could possibly be a huge reason they got so much in alleged "vault" submissions during the National. The bulk of those $100M in submissions could have actually been consignments more so than just people putting cards in their "vault" to be held for some unknown period of time. Especially if those people doing the submitting were also looking to get advances/loans against their cards right away.

I understand PWCC does quite well, but if they are getting submissions and then giving out such advances/loans of the nature mentioned, I'd have to speculate they don't have that much cash just lying around to continue doing such advances/loans if they expect to continue this going forward. And if they do continue this, I would expect they would look to get financing to supply them with cash to cover such advances/loans. I don't see normal banks going to approve such financing (or being allowed to under current regulations) if the collateral is primarily sports cards, which would seem to leave it for private investment companies/investors to step in then.

OMG - If this is now going to be the case going forward, we are truly seeing the transformation of our hobby into an industry dealing in investment commodities. Instead of someone buying and selling cards to make money, this is where someone can make money off the capital loaned to others buying and selling their cards. So PWCC (and/or whomever is supplying them with cash) is possibly becoming the first J.G. Wentworth type of company to start taking advantage of people dealing in cards. Unbelievable if this turns out to be true.

And now would like to find out even more how these advances/loans are going to be paid for with charged interest, or some other type of payment/charge to cover the carrying costs of whomever is fronting the money. If there is an interest charge in their somewhere, that in and of itself could have different tax implications depending on whether or not the person paying the interest is a dealer, investor, or collector. And if not necessarily an interest charge per se, can whatever charges are being incurred then be applied towards the basis of cards eventually sold so the seller gets some tax break? This could get real interesting going forward?
Very Well said and I am of the same basic mind set

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson