NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-22-2021, 07:07 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default Anyone know a 'back door' into PayPal?

Here is the problem...

I'm negotiating with a seller on eBay, and I want to purchase the card in question at the price he is willing to sell it for. However, I need to use my credit cards points to defray some of the cost (without CC points the price is, well, a rip-off). When I go to pay for things on eBay using PayPal, sometimes it brings me to PayPal and allows me to click the box and use my points, but the vast majority of times (including now!) the window appears and has me sign in, and then POOF!! it disappears and I'm back at eBay's checkout page with the only option being "Pay Now." (For some reason, when I have my credit card itself selected as the payment type, it gives no option to use my points either, just "Pay Now.")

Is there a way to sign into PayPal first to pay for an auction? In other words, is there a way to avoid the situation I described above? Being able to use my CC points is such a random occurrence with PayPal, as there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason involved. I bought two separate cards just the other day, and both gave me the option of using my points, but I didn't. It seems to come and go. To be clear, I am not trying to avoid using eBay or do anything against the 'rules.' I want it to be an eBay purchase through my credit card via Paypal.

Anybody have any insight? Is there a way for the seller to send me an invoice, so it brings me directly to PayPal, or allows me to directly use my credit card points??

I'm sure a whole bunch of other people here would like to know the answer to this, too.

(There are no other issues, like my points were already used and whatnot. And I've done everything involved with refreshing the window, throwing out preferences, changing and re-changing payment types, etc. The issue is as straightforward as I presented it.)

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:15 PM
Bry@n

Is it the Paypal credit card? If so, just have the reward money sent to your Paypal account and keep checking out without worrying about applying the reward balance.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:37 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

No, it's just a regular credit card. No PayPal ties.

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 04-22-2021, 08:07 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Have the seller send you a PP invoice, then pay through PP.

Would that work?
Old 04-22-2021, 09:57 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

I hear you, Darren. I get the same situation, and it seems like the PayPal option that allows you to use points only comes up maybe 20% of the time compared to the one that doesn't give you any options to use any of those points. I'd like to know what triggers each option too, but right now they seems totally random to me too.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:25 AM
J0hn Collin$

This led me to the realization I could use CC points to buy even some of Dean's pricey cards on Amazon for a deal. But my wife would kill me...
Old 04-23-2021, 12:45 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
This led me to the realization I could use CC points to buy even some of Dean's pricey cards on Amazon for a deal. But my wife would kill me...
Just tell her that with the tear the market has been on lately, Dean's had the most reasonable prices. Maybe then she'll grant a stay of execution.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:56 PM
je.sse @rnot

As you can use these points to buy something else I do not understand how they make the card any less of a rip off. Unless the points were expiring. Like ebay bucks.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:48 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Unfortunately (but I guess ultimately fortunately?), I had to check day after day by putting things in my cart and seeing if it would let me get two feet on the ground inside of PayPal during the checkout process without the window disappearing, and it finally worked. In the meantime, I lost both the card I wanted to buy as well as my 'back-up' plan cards, but I did happily end up with a pretty sharp PSA 6 1971 Topps #513 Nolan Ryan in the end, so I'm enthused. Hopefully, before the next round of CC points drop, I'll find a workable avenue. Ebay has provided me with nothing but their usual "Is your computer plugged in?" type of tech support/customer service. Same with PayPal.

Casey Stengel