NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Richard Simon

Default Now isn't this just beautiful

They take a great vintage picture and stick their ugly red, white and blue sticker on it. Where does your eye first go? The autograph or the sticker? Have you no sense of decency PSA? Pardon me for borrowing a term from American History but what can I say?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STp56068.jpg (46.6 KB, 353 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-23-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Al

Default beautiful

Actually it went to Connie Mack!
Old 01-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post

They take a great vintage picture and stick their ugly red, white and blue sticker on it. Where does your eye first go? The autograph or the sticker?
Is it not the choice of the submitter on whether they want the sticker or not? It is not PSA's call or fault. I do think it would have been better on the back however or just on the cert itself.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 01-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
It is not PSA's call or fault.
Really? I want you for my judge if I do something wrong. Who's fault is it? Judge Judy's? SGC's? Unless PSA gave the sticker to the submitter then they put it on there. Maybe I don't understand.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Al

Default beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Really? I want you for my judge if I do something wrong. Who's fault is it? Judge Judy's? SGC's? Unless PSA gave the sticker to the submitter then they put it on there. Maybe I don't understand.
Leon,
I think Judge Judy may be in on it. She just finished a house about 10 minutes from me. Google Judge Judy House and you will see what Im talking about!
Old 01-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Banned

They slap their advertising on everything to the detriment of the piece. i cringe everytime I see something like that.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:55 PM
T0m P00n

As another poster said, I believe PSA/DNA offers the submitter the option on whether or not they want the sticker on the item or on the letter of authenticity if the item being authenticated is $50 or more.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:49 PM

I made a thread a little while ago on a Mantle signed magazine I have with a JSA sticker on it. It is true that they asked me if I wanted a sticker on the item. I don't recall choosing where they placed it. But maybe I did.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Wayne Walker

I agree with the "blame the submitter" crowd. PSA/DNA only does what someone pays them to do.

There are plenty of people who would shred or burn the thing if you gave them money them to do it. I wouldn't blame them, either.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 01-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Banned

A car company could have a box to check when you buy a new car that said "before delivery, would you like your car keyed and the paintjob wrecked?"

Is that responsible for them to offer it, even though someone might check the box? Just because they could, it doesn't mean they should.

If they didn't offer that box to check, and someone wanted their car keyed before delivery, they should just say "no, we don't do that." They might lose a sale, but they would have integrity.

Put the sticker directly over the subjects face a few times and the sticker craze will go away.

Last edited by travrosty; 01-23-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
I agree with the "blame the submitter" crowd. PSA/DNA only does what someone pays them to do.

There are plenty of people who would shred or burn the thing if you gave them money them to do it. I wouldn't blame them, either.
PSA and JSA both offer the option to not sticker the item. It's part of the submission form.

Maybe they cringe too when a submitter wants something vintage stickered. I prefer not to have the sticker, but you can't legislate taste.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
A car company could have a box to check when you buy a new car that said "before delivery, would you like your car keyed and the paintjob wrecked?"

Is that responsible for them to offer it, even though someone might check the box? Just because they could, it doesn't mean they should.

If they didn't offer that box to check, and someone wanted their car keyed before delivery, they should just say "no, we don't do that." They might lose a sale, but they would have integrity.

Put the sticker directly over the subjects face a few times and the sticker craze will go away.
I don't understand. This is a matter of aesthetics and nothing more. You and I don't like the sticker there, but we don't have to, do we?. The owner may think it actually adds to the piece. It was put there by mutual consent.

To your example: if you paid a car dealer to key your car, they would do it. And if it appeared to be a trend, the option would start appearing on car order forms. Wouldn't be unethical or irresponsible in any way, either.

I think some of you guys are letting your hated for the ABCs cloud your judgment a bit. Does the piece look worse because of the sticker? I think so. Do I blame the authenticator for putting it there (or offering the service to do so)? Not at all.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 01-23-2012, 07:38 PM

Default Visual pollution

Quote:

Travis,
Old 01-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Wrong??? Says who??? Many want it on there. Maybe it is I who doesn't understand....

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 01-23-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
PSA and JSA both offer the option to not sticker the item. It's part of the submission form.

Maybe they cringe too when a submitter wants something vintage stickered. I prefer not to have the sticker, but you can't legislate taste.

+1
if we could legislate taste the Kardashian sisters would be cheap hookers.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-23-2012, 08:38 PM
qu@n nguy3n

with all its existing problems psa/dna has now hit a new low...being in the same conversation with the kardashians
Old 01-23-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
with all its existing problems psa/dna has now hit a new low...being in the same conversation with the kardashians
Old 01-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Banned

the stickering on the front of the photo is incredibly short sighted.

what about gai? who wants a gai sticker on their photo now? other companies could go the same way as gai, then what?

also, all of the vintage babe ruth, lou gehrig, etc. photos don't have the sticker on it. why? because the serious investors and mostly older collectors who have the disposable income for such pieces know better.

but the dimaggios, williams and mantles have the stickers, because there are more of them signed, they cost less,, but these are the ruths and gehrigs of tomorrow.

its when the unstickered certed photos bring in a premium over the stickered ones, is when we will see a change in whether people ask for the sticker on the front of the photo.

travis roste

Last edited by travrosty; 01-23-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Jeff

Quote:

A little off the subject, correct me if I am wrong but do not car dealers affix stickers or even metal plates with their names on them to the car? At least the ones I have dealt with in the past did.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:32 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester View Post
A little off the subject, correct me if I am wrong but do not car dealers affix stickers or even metal plates with their names on them to the car? At least the ones I have dealt with in the past did.
On the back of the car, right? Not on the windshield.
--
Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Wrong??? Says who??? Many want it on there. Maybe it is I who doesn't understand....
In my opinion any company that gets paid to authenticate an item, and puts a sticker on it that defaces it, is wrong. If a customer wants that then that is not a service an authentication company should provide, imo. I doubt if you call Toyota and ask them to sell you a destroyed new Camry, they would do it. Yes, imo and almost everyone (even the people that agree with the idiocy) here thinks it is defacing the item. Just my opinion that it is wrong. Maybe a poll is in order?

Last edited by Leon; 01-24-2012 at 07:29 AM. Reason: gramma'
Old 01-24-2012, 07:34 AM
Richard Simon

Right you are Leon,,, poll commencing.
--
Old 01-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:

Now that's funny...From the King of Analogies, I think you hit the nail right on the head! When I sell all my autographs and buy another car, I'm going to ask if they can key it before delivery instead of the under body coating or worthless extended warranty!

This has to be the stupidest thing I've seen in a while. Talk about just obliterating a nice item.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Chris Wassmuth

Quote:
+1
They're only a step or two away. LOL