NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Live Auctions - Only 2-3 open, per member, at once.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:35 PM

Default 1898-99 Rugeley Football Club 6x8 Mounted Photograph - Rugby

Very nice 19th Century Mounted Photo of the 1898-99 Rugeley Amateur Football Club. Photo itself measures approximately 6x8 and is in very nice condition. The mount itself is nice until you get to the bottom, where the bottom edge was torn off. Still could be matted and framed out easily enough.

The image is really striking on this picture. I don't even collect Rugby but I just thought it was such a cool 19th century piece with lots of fun little details. I love the uniforms looking like referee outfits, one gentleman way ahead of his time by rolling up the sleeves. The stockings, shoes, and then the streetclothed men with pocket watch chains, a couple with pipes, etc. It's one of the sharpest images I've ever seen from this era, as you can see the detail down to the blades of grass. Okay, maybe I get a lot more enjoyment out of this piece than others do... I just like the sharp details on a 115-year-old photo.

The back mount reads either "H. Beardsmore" or "H. Beardshore" as the photographer.

Bidding starts at just $10, increments of $1, and shipping is $4. Auction ends Monday, April 1st (no foolin'!) at 8 PM CST.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rugely FC 1898.jpg (76.2 KB, 61 views)
Old 03-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Default Rugby?

I'm quite sure this is not a rugby team. In the title, "F.C." indicates Football Club or Soccer Club to Americans. Were it rugby, it should say "R.F.C." as in Rugby Football Club. It could be the angle, but the ball looks round rather than like a pregnant football used in rugby. Rugby utilizes 15 players per side. If these blokes played 4 or 5 players shorthanded, they would typically look a little more beat up than they do.

It is a cool picture, though.

Last edited by Jerry G; 03-31-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:26 PM

Default One more try

Will drop the bid to $5 and try one more time. Bidding closes at 8 PM CST on Sunday, April 7th. Thanks!