NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-14-2020, 02:31 PM
Dave

Default Question for the Community on my 1914 Cracker Jack Collections

Hello everyone, first timer.

I am toying, but not 100% certain, with the idea of selling off my two complete 1914 Cracker Jack Collections (One is all PSA and the other is all SGC). As you can imagine, it took a long time and a few dollars to complete these two sets. In addition to the full runs of 1914s, I also have the 1915 sets from card numbers 145 - 176 and the variation cards below those numbers in 1915 that were not in 1914 (i.e. the #99 1915 Chase that replaced the 1914 Chance, the #62 1915 Mitchell that replaced the 1914 Cashion, etc.) The thrill is almost done as I am only upgrading right now and that is an extremely slow process. Time to start another collection.

My question, and it will be mostly opinions, would be which is the best auction house to run these through.....REA, Love of the Game, Memory Lane, Heritage, Iconic, Huggins and Scott, Goldin, Lelands, etc. I have done business with all of these in the past, but only as a buyer.

I'm guessing, although I haven't really done the math on them, that each set is in the $250K - $350K range.

Basically, I want the highest traffic, highest payout, but if they do not sell I do not want to pay any fees. I know I am asking a lot.

I know there is a ton of knowledge and expertise on Net54, and I have learned a lot from the feedback over the years. I have a lot of respect for some of you seasoned veterans.

I also have other high dollar items as well that I would include in an auction.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dave.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:38 PM
Sonny Tutor

I’ll let some of the other guys give advice, but let me be the first to say WOW. Congratulations on building such an amazing collection. That’s amazing. Best of luck parting with your treasures.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:40 PM
Scott Russell

I'd be stunned if someone could do more for you than REA. This is coming from a guy who would cut off an arm to get even a card or two from a collection like that for his own auction!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-14-2020, 02:44 PM

I would talk to REA and Heritage to see which would give you the lowest fee. Heritage would probably do a stand alone auction, but I am sure either would do very well for you.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:51 PM
Dave

Default 1914s

Thanks Sonny. Tough to let them go but like I said, the excitement dwindles once you complete the set.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:30 PM
octavio ranzola

Keep them😎
Old 01-14-2020, 04:02 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It's not worth the stress at all, so my advice to you is give away the sets to someone here and let them worry about selling them for a nice profit. In fact, I'll volunteer. Send the cards on over.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:11 PM
Dave

Default 1914

I do appreciate the act of compassion. If ever the stress gets too much, you are the first I'll contact.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:12 PM
Dale Walton
Dale Wal.ton

Amazing collection....not one but two 1914 sets. I have worked hard and spent quite a few dollars just to assemble a partial 1915 set which is much easier and less costly than 1914.

Congratulations! I know the feeling when you complete a certain set no matter the year. You get the itch to liquidate and start a new set.

You should yield a large sum when you sell. I have dealt with a couple of the auction houses you mention without any issues. Good luck!
Old 01-14-2020, 04:33 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Your only real negotiation point should be how much of the 22% buyers commission are you kicking back to me. And you of course want such an amazing item promoted.

And as discussed in another thread, the best deal would be its sold as a set or individually, whichever gets higher figure.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-14-2020 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:40 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Perfect advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Your only real negotiation point should be how much of the 22% buyers commission are you kicking back to me. And you of course want such an amazing item promoted.

And as discussed in another thread, the best deal would be its sold as a set or individually, whichever gets higher figure.
For a collection with that kind of value - no consignment fee to you and as stated the ability to negotiate a piece of the BP back as well as some promotion specifics.

From a traffic standpoint I would think Heritage or REA are your best bets. Possibly, Goldin or Memory lane as the runner ups (although if memory serves me, memory lane has done a bunch of the set or singles auctions)

Only way to protect yourself which has upsides and down is to auction with reserve (If the item doesn't meet reserve you pay no fees - already negotiated as no consignment fee) - problem is the reserved auctions sometimes dissuade bidders. I would NOT run both sets at the same time - 2 consecutive auctions possibly - perhaps try the first with no reserve offered as a set and individual lots (as suggested) with the higher total winning out. Could possibly even use the second set as the carrot on the stick to be consigned only if the 1st set meets your expectations.

I saw you offered a bunch of other items on the BST - incredible collection Dave - appreciate seeing all the great cards! Do you stick with exclusively prewar or do post war as well?

Last edited by hcv123; 01-14-2020 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:52 PM
Dave

Default 1914

Thank you, your input is definitely informative but more so appreciated.

My cards have been primarily 1914 & 1914 Cracker Jacks, 1919 W514s, and 1932 Caramels.

My other fields have been NY Yankees World Series Tickets and memorabilia (1923, 1927, 1928, 1932 and 1956).

Other than that, it has been the Blacksox tickets, autographs and memorabilia.

From there my collection goes past the world of sports. First and foremost are old US Coins.....been doing that longer than I can remember. Then it is historical items....I collect signatures from the signers of the Declaration of Independence (I have all but 3), I have a full run of autographs from every president (Washington to Trump), and every VP (John Adams to Pence).

From there it is just anything I find cool and interesting (basically mancave items).
Old 01-15-2020, 07:26 AM
Jeff Woolsey

Any chance you could post pictures of your W514 set? I just completed my W514 set in December after 10 years.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:21 AM
Dave

Default W514

Absolutely.

Here is a link to pictures of all 120 W514 cards:

https://tinyurl.com/1919-W514
Old 01-15-2020, 02:00 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

After you pick an auction house, you might want your CJ sets to be auctioned so that individual cards and the total set are done separately. Most $$'s wins. In my experience, the cumulative value of the individual cards usually surpasses the set's.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:12 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJDave View Post
Absolutely.

Here is a link to pictures of all 120 W514 cards:

https://tinyurl.com/1919-W514
Any chance you can post pictures of your CJ sets? I'm sure folks would love to see those as well.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:39 PM
Dave

Default CJs

Hi Sam,

Definitely. I am going to organize everything this weekend and take photos.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:57 PM
Mike

I'd like to see your tax return after you sell these sets.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:05 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Any chance you can post pictures of your CJ sets? I'm sure folks would love to see those as well.
Yes please!
Old 01-15-2020, 10:04 PM

Whichever auction house you use, you should have them produce a separate catalog to feature how incredible your collection is.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:04 AM

One option you might consider is sending one of your sets (PSA or SGC) to an auction house, and keeping the other to continue the quest of upgrading it. The influx of money from the sale of the one set should keep you flush with hobby money and renew your appreciation for the set.

Brian (just a thought from a guy who couldn't imagine having two complete 1914 Cracker Jack sets)
Old 01-16-2020, 11:28 AM

Default Dave, awesome collection !

Which auction house treated you well when buying? Did you get a particularly good feeling about one vs another? Might be a nice way to reward good people.

I think the cards will do well wherever you send them. People will find great cards!

Good luck !
Old 01-16-2020, 01:10 PM
Dave

Default 1914s

I do have my list of those that were not so nice to me....one in particular (I'll hold off mentioning the name) after cashing my check, a few days after sent me a reminder email about payment (which I didn't respond to as I considered it a timing issue). About a week later sent me a nasty email threatening to call me out on every website (i.e. Net 54) for non-payment and lack of response. After showing them my check was cashed two weeks prior, gave me an "Oops, our error". Needless to say, I will never do business with them.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:27 PM
Ton.y Be.ll

REA and Heritage are my personal favorites. Don't think you can go wrong with either.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:30 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
I do have my list of those that were not so nice to me....one in particular (I'll hold off mentioning the name) after cashing my check, a few days after sent me a reminder email about payment (which I didn't respond to as I considered it a timing issue). About a week later sent me a nasty email threatening to call me out on every website (i.e. Net 54) for non-payment and lack of response. After showing them my check was cashed two weeks prior, gave me an "Oops, our error". Needless to say, I will never do business with them.
Why do these auction houses treat customers (and consignors) that way? Is the hobby growing in leaps and bounds where there are so many customers, they don't have to take care of ones they already have? My understanding is most auction houses don't take in scads of new clients, and are almost remaining status-quo in the number of clients they have.

I am so frustrated with one auction house, I am actually building a brochure-type website, complete with emails, outlining a nearly three year "disagreement" I am having with them.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:37 PM
Dave

Default CJs

Does anyone have a contact person/name at Heritage?
Old 01-16-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Does anyone have a contact person/name at Heritage?
Peter Calderon is a consignment director at Heritage dealing with vintage cards, and is a member of this board.

Brian