NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-29-2020, 06:59 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

a fun set...as you can see from my username...i could never get the right mantle as i have assembled almost all the other cards a few times
Old 01-29-2020, 07:11 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Yes, quite a few times. I love picking up large lots, and upgrading over time. It's a constantly moving project akin to army ants. The cards ebb and flow with new batches coming in, and new collectors picking them up.

It's also a set where I don't see it losing value anytime soon. The tough part is paying for the high series. It stinks paying 50$ or more for commons, but everyone needs them. Demand outweighs supply.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-29-2020, 07:59 AM
Tom

I am 7 cards from the set, but I know i will never finish.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:24 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set View Post
I am 7 cards from the set, but I know i will never finish.

Lol...
Old 01-29-2020, 05:07 PM
Al Richter

Have finished the set, including an unopened pack, and did the red and black backs, plus the Sain, Page, House and Campos (2) variations, plus many of the recurring print defects listed in the H&S super set. Even did the two versions of the Mantle, Robinson and Thompson, but stalled our on the gray backs which tend cost more than the high number cards. May yet get back into those if I last long enough.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:01 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Have finished the set, including an unopened pack, and did the red and black backs, plus the Sain, Page, House and Campos (2) variations, plus many of the recurring print defects listed in the H&S super set. Even did the two versions of the Mantle, Robinson and Thompson, but stalled our on the gray backs which tend cost more than the high number cards. May yet get back into those if I last long enough.
Hadn't addressed the different backs and any other variations. Won't be taking any of that into account for my set.

The first 407 different players will be it

Last edited by cardsagain74; 01-29-2020 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:13 PM
D@le Irv*n

I'm still picking away at my set and following/updating some as I come across them.
With still needing 3 big name, somewhat pricey, (for me) cards in the low number set in Pafko, Berra and Martin and quite a few high number cards, it's unlikely I will ever finish the set but I am still trying.

Lately I have caught the hockey card bug again so all my focus, for the most part, has been on them.

With that being said, however, I did just win a sharp looking, (imo) Walker Cooper card last night so I guess I am still in the game.

Good luck to the OP. It's a great set and a lot of fun to collect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walker Copper.jpg (77.6 KB, 1320 views)
Old 03-26-2020, 08:50 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
a fun set...as you can see from my username...i could never get the right mantle as i have assembled almost all the other cards a few times
I'd never looked at your set. The condition of those

No wonder it was tough to find the Mantle or Mathews for that one.

Did you really stop pressing on with it in December 2014?
Old 03-28-2020, 08:34 PM
J0hn H@rper

A quarantined '52 T set builder's thoughts from a typical night on ebay:

- "There's that grade 2.5 Duke Snider for 90 bucks 'ending' again. For the 804th time this week. May wanna second guess the price buddy"

- "How many cards out of that lot do I need? 4 out of 6. Usually 4 of 6"

- "Oooo a Matthews is up today. Maybe I should finally give it a shot. Not what I really expected to get, but they'll never get any easier to find, so maybe I better not be picky about him. Ok I'll bid. Hmm outbid already"

- "Where is Hoyt? His cards dance away more than his knuckleball did"

And, as always for most of us....

- "I've never seen a finish line that seems so far away as getting all the high numbers"
Old 03-28-2020, 09:59 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
A quarantined '52 T set builder's thoughts from a typical night on ebay:

- "There's that grade 2.5 Duke Snider for 90 bucks 'ending' again. For the 804th time this week. May wanna second guess the price buddy"

- "How many cards out of that lot do I need? 4 out of 6. Usually 4 of 6"

- "Oooo a Matthews is up today. Maybe I should finally give it a shot. Not what I really expected to get, but they'll never get any easier to find, so maybe I better not be picky about him. Ok I'll bid. Hmm outbid already"

- "Where is Hoyt? His cards dance away more than his knuckleball did"

And, as always for most of us....

- "I've never seen a finish line that seems so far away as getting all the high numbers"
Just looking at a $1,499 Mathews just now equates to $2,111 CDN. Add the $34 U.S. shipping ($48 CDN) and that card would cost me $2,159 dollars!
Like I mentioned in a previous post, I will be waiting for a while yet on any further U.S. sales, unfortunately, but I'm glad to read you're still picking away, John.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:21 PM

Who is collecting their set all graded, or all raw or a combination?

At this point, most of what I am getting is pretty much all raw, except for a few here and there that have been graded (which are HOF's or High numbers)

I don't know for uniformity if I am going to crack the slabs and have it all raw, or just leave them how they are.

Who here is storing their set in a binder, who is using card savers/top loaders?
Old 03-31-2020, 04:07 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post

At this point, most of what I am getting is pretty much all raw, except for a few here and there that have been graded (which are HOF's or High numbers)

I don't know for uniformity if I am going to crack the slabs and have it all raw, or just leave them how they are.

Who here is storing their set in a binder, who is using card savers/top loaders?
Hi Jason.

Like the bold, that is exactly what I am doing, only the slabbed/graded cards I have are not, for the most part, HOF's.

I am currently storing my less valuable cards in a metal case that is likely very similar to a large camera case. They are either in sleeves and top loaders or in the card savers 2's they came in. I normally transfer them from the card savers and place them in sleeves and top loaders, but I still have quite a few I haven't gotten around to yet.

I have cracked a few of my graded cards, namely my Beckett's, as I didn't like the way they scanned but truth be told now, I regret doing that as they would have likely been easier to sell in the future?

How far along are you on your set and are you looking to purchase any? I have approx 16 dupes that are rough, as in creased/wrinkled/dinged corners, OC, etc, but also about 6 that are just OC mainly but in VG-EX condition.

I also have 2 PSA graded ones as well. A PSA VG-3 Richie Ashburn and a PSA good 2 in Billy Johnson if you are interested?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg (78.3 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg Billy Johnson 1.jpg (49.2 KB, 255 views)
Old 03-31-2020, 05:40 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I'm collecting in raw and graded in a slew of holders. Upgrading along the way and one day it will be all PSA 3s and 4s. Just easier to sell that way one day, whether it's me or my kin.

Plucked two Highs from the remaining 16 or so in my sigline, but still need plenty of upgrades.

I have a batch at psa of 41 cards which mostly will come back mostly 4s and a few a little nicer that will go for sale.

I have graded hughs in a med flat rate box, graded others in 2 long boxes, and finally have raw in top loaders in a 3rd long box

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-02-2020, 08:40 AM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Quote:

I have a roughly 50/50 combination of raw and graded at this point. I have 165/310 for the low numbers, but all the big cards PSA or SGC graded 5-6 range. I'm now filling in the gaps where I can raw or graded, solely looking at card appeal and relative cost. I've been working with a few members on here lately filling numbers on my list with nice raw lots.

Regarding storage, just been filling shoe boxes with majority. My big cards go in heat/water resistant safes with some desiccant bags.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:30 AM
+0m J()rd@N

What if Mick was #310, instead of #311?

Where would the market be?
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 04-02-2020, 01:32 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:

I'm getting a combination of raw/graded (not much of a factor in my choices). The better the card, the more likely I've ended up with a graded one. One of the few things where this set has been no different than others!

Top loaders and the usual storage boxes. Not a fan of binders, regardless of something's value.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:02 PM
J0hn H@rper

Too much quarantine buying for this lately

A bunch of commons/minors, a lower grade Snider, and four PSA 1.5 high numbers. The finish line for the low numbers is easy to see, as I now have more than half of them (with just Pafko and Spahn being the only cards of any relevance left).

But the high numbers. Yup.

The four that I just picked up were barely worth it. If that. I was happy paying what I did for the few slabbed grade 3ish ones a few weeks ago, but this was a little different. Need to slightly reassess this balance of need the card/tough to get/maybe the market for them is still going up that fast/but am I still overpaying.

Whenever I see the occasional Jackie R or Mathews go up, a winning bid hasn't come quite close enough to happening yet. Either the card just isn't nice enough to pay "that" for it, or someone else wanted it more at the moment. That could change at any time, but I'm in no hurry.

The Mantle though.....could anyone feel that comfortable paying current market price for it, with how our economy's future could be at the moment?

Holding on for the ride.

183/407

Last edited by cardsagain74; 04-02-2020 at 02:06 PM.