NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-17-2021, 02:31 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Default What would you do?

Let's say you're set up as a dealer at a card show and you purchase a graded card from a customer. The customer walks away, you price the card and put it in your display case. A while later, another dealer comes up to you and says the card you bought from the customer was stolen from his table earlier. What would you do?

Has this (or anything similar) ever happened to anyone at a show?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg what-would-you-do-ratings-abc-canceled-renewed.jpg (18.7 KB, 719 views)
Old 05-17-2021, 02:36 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Just call the police, I guess (or whatever security is working the show and have them call the police). And, if I could get away from my table, maybe try to look around the show to snap a pic of the customer if he was still around. Either the customer or the dealer is lying...and I'm not really equipped to figure out who.

Last edited by Frankish; 05-17-2021 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:40 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Let's say you're set up as a dealer at a card show and you purchase a graded card from a customer. The customer walks away, you price the card and put it in your display case. A while later, another dealer comes up to you and says the card you bought from the customer was stolen from his table earlier. What would you do?

Has this (or anything similar) ever happened to anyone at a show?
I'd first ask for a copy of the police report or report he filed with the show organizers regarding the theft. I'd also ask for names of any witnesses with relevant information.
No report prob no dice. Then if he comes forward with that I'd ask for some proof of ownership prior to the day in question. Either proof of his purchase or maybe some dated photographs or inventory lists. Something like that. Short of that kind of factual support I think he's probably sh*t out of luck.

Of course if the guy who claims he was ripped off is someone I know beforehand to be on the up and up, that would be an entirely different calculus.

Burden on him to prove it.

Could be a situation where he actually was ripped off, but the card you have is the same grade but an entirely different card.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 05-17-2021 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:56 PM
Jeremy W.

Is this a $10 card or a $1,000. card? Either way, I would ask for video.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:01 PM

No report no return for me. How do I know I'm not being taken for a ride? Sob stories are a dime a dozen.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:09 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Does anyone know if PSA or SGC have a System or Database for Victims Of Theft to post pics and cert numbers of said stolen card ?
Old 05-17-2021, 03:59 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

If I knew them and trusted them and thought them of good character, I would give them the card for nothing.

If I did not know them, I would require reasonable proof of the claim, and if such proof was provided or ascertained, I would give them the card for nothing.

If I knew them to be a person of dishonesty and low character, I would immediately dismiss the request for the card.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

The dealer who did not safeguard his card bears at least some responsibility here, ethically if not legally. Why should David (or whoever it is) be the ONLY one of the three parties here to suffer a loss?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:22 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

I would tell the guy there is a free t-shirt giveaway behind him and when he turns around I would run.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 05-17-2021, 08:37 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Rules of stolen property

While thankfully this has not happened to me, I am aware that it has happened.

Stolen property is just that - stolen property and if the owner has filed a police report and presuming it is that cert# in the report, then it is my understanding he is entitled to the return of his property.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:41 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Can we just remove the index finger of adults who are caught stealing so this scenario would happen less often?

Or, they can Rochambo for it...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 05-17-2021, 08:51 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Does anyone know if PSA or SGC have a System or Database for Victims Of Theft to post pics and cert numbers of said stolen card ?
PSA should set up a Title Transfer Service, similar to real estate transactions.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 05-17-2021, 09:23 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
I would tell the guy there is a free t-shirt giveaway behind him and when he turns around I would run.
That's great.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:07 AM
Tom Re.bert

Default Insurance claim?

I would immediately contact my private Collectibles Insurance carrier and ask for their assistance in the matter and follow their protocol. (They may cover the loss with a police report along with any other information they may need)--
Old 05-19-2021, 08:10 PM
Eric Perry

Card shows are filled with people who conduct cash transactions with no receipts. Taking off my rose-colored glasses for a moment, I wonder what would stop a pair of con men from committing fraud this way:
  • Criminal #1 sets up a table at the show
  • Criminal #2 "steals" a high-dollar card from that table
  • Criminal #2 sells the high-dollar card to a legit dealer
  • Criminal #1 "discovers" the card and claims they are the rightful owner of stolen property
  • The criminals now have the card back and the money paid by the dealer

Personally, I'd call the police, the show promoter, and a lawyer...and not necessarily in that order.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 05-19-2021, 08:33 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Card shows are filled with people who conduct cash transactions with no receipts. Taking off my rose-colored glasses for a moment, I wonder what would stop a pair of con men from committing fraud this way:
  • Criminal #1 sets up a table at the show
  • Criminal #2 "steals" a high-dollar card from that table
  • Criminal #2 sells the high-dollar card to a legit dealer
  • Criminal #1 "discovers" the card and claims they are the rightful owner of stolen property
  • The criminals now have the card back and the money paid by the dealer

Personally, I'd call the police, the show promoter, and a lawyer...and not necessarily in that order.
That's why many said they would need to see a police report.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-20-2021, 06:29 AM
Rob

Seems like the police report would be the linchpin here.

But, being 2021 and cameras being so prevalent in society and not to mention cheap, portable and easy to use (I just installed 3 more on the outside of my house this weekend and I'm nowhere close to being a handy man)...Do dealers set them up at their booths? I'd think nowadays they'd be staples in the dealers traveling bag.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:46 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Do dealers set them up at their booths?
I'm setting up at the TriStar show here in Houston the first weekend in June with a dealer friend of mine. He recently bought cameras and will use them at the show for the first time.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:51 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I'm setting up at the TriStar show here in Houston the first weekend in June with a dealer friend of mine. He recently bought cameras and will use them at the show for the first time.
I'll be going to that show.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:31 PM
Robert J. Miller

Criminal #1 sets up a table at the show
Criminal #2 "steals" a high-dollar card from that table
Criminal #2 sells the high-dollar card to a legit dealer
Criminal #1 "discovers" the card and claims they are the rightful owner of stolen property
The criminals now have the card back and the money paid by the dealer

A slight variation:

Criminal #1 sets up a table at the show
Actual Customer #1 makes a legitimate purchase of a high-dollar card from that table
Customer #1 sells the high-dollar card to a legit dealer for a small profit
Criminal #1 "discovers" the card on the legit dealers table and claims they are the rightful owner claiming it was stolen. Let's say he goes through the whole process of filing a (false) police report making up a fake description of the person stealing it.

Now the Criminal dealer has the original price he sold it for and the card back.

Some people really disgust me.

Bob
Old 05-20-2021, 03:18 PM

The police report isn't instantaneous and there is proof required when filing. It wouldn't be worth anyone's time to do that. By the time the report is filed the show is over and the card is gone.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:34 PM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Can we just remove the index finger of adults who are caught stealing so this scenario would happen less often?

Or, they can Rochambo for it...
My wife references “rochambeau” quiet often. Let’s rochambeau on out of here ... I’m gonna rochambeau this right here . She’s from the hard scrabbled streets of the Bronx and there is a Rochambeau Avenue over by where she lived. I always thought it was Bronxian slang.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:34 AM
Charles
Cha.rles

Here's a quick story. I don't know if it's relevant here, but here goes.......

In 1981, I had purchased a couple of retail boxes of 1981 Fleer baseball wax packs from a candy/tobacco wholesaler in my Brooklyn neighborhood.

Sometime in 1981 (or possibly 1982) I had put a box of these cards on display on my table at a NYC card show. I was selling the packs individually.
I did notice that the glue/wax or whatever Fleer used to keep the packs closed wasn't holding up very well. The thought occurred to me to use a bit of Elmer's glue on each pack to keep them closed, but I decided against it because I didn't feel right about "altering" the packs.

So during the show, a mother (and her two young sons) returned to my table loudly demanding a refund on a few of these packs because she felt that I had opened the packs, removed the star cards and resealed the packs. I tried to assure the woman that this was not the case, but she then said that she spoken to two reputable dealers at the show (I'm not going to name them) who concurred with her.

At this point, I had a crowd of people staring at me, and I did nothing wrong! I sheepishly gave the woman a refund and told her to keep the cards. I reiterated that I did not do what I was being accused of, but she would hear none of it.

After that, I removed all these cards from their packs.

This happened nearly 40 years ago, but I remember it as though it was yesterday.

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore