NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-31-2021, 07:37 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Default 1925 Gehrig Exhibit Card.

Anyone know what the Gehrig rookie in Golden auctions brought last night? It was well over $200,000 when I went to bed last night.

Last edited by Frank A; 01-31-2021 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:38 AM
Jamie

$801,960
Old 01-31-2021, 07:40 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Oh my god.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:41 AM
pete ullman

if that happened...i'm afraid to ask what the psa 10 jordans sold for?
Old 01-31-2021, 07:51 AM
Jamie

The PSA Mantle 8 Mantle over $1,605,150.

Two Jordans $738k each.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:58 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

And the Rookie Ruth blank back 1.5 sold for $242k
Old 01-31-2021, 07:59 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Time to go back on home shopping network, the top is in !

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-31-2021, 08:29 AM
Taylor Hamilton

how can you see auction prices for items that ended last night.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:36 AM
Jamie

Many Twitter posts between Goldin, Rovel and PSA. I was following along and was a bidder on another item the 1934 Pittsburgh Crawford Team photo by James VanDerZee.

Last edited by Schlesinj; 01-31-2021 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:00 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I was bidding on the VanDerZee as well. Is a really special photo but poor condition and I wasn’t interested in paying 10k for it. These certainly don’t come along very often.

Just finished the great recent bio on Oscar Charleston. If you haven’t read it grab one on Amazon. Really great important book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlesinj View Post
Many Twitter posts between Goldin, Rovel and PSA. I was following along and was a bidder on another item the 1934 Pittsburgh Crawford Team photo by James VanDerZee.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:07 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlesinj View Post
The PSA Mantle 8 Mantle over $1,605,150.

Two Jordans $738k each.
Just a couple of weeks ago, a Jordan sold for 222. I... don't... get.....it. My spider sense says 2016 is happening again. Cards that aren't hard to find going 3.5x in a couple of weeks?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-31-2021 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Just a couple of weeks ago, a Jordan sold for 221. I... don't... get.....it.
One sold a day before for 350 on eBay.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:23 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
One sold a day before for 350 on eBay.
As the Dinah Washington song goes, what a difference a day makes, I guess.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:27 AM
Mike

In the last published Standard Catalog of Vintage Cards the 1925 Exhibit Gehrig was listed at $12,000 in Near Mint Condition.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:31 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
In the last published Standard Catalog of Vintage Cards the 1925 Exhibit Gehrig was listed at $12,000 in Near Mint Condition.
Well, that's says a lot about the value of the Standard catalog. I bought one 3 years ago for multiples of that.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:34 AM
je.sse @rnot

Well at 700k I think a lot of people who bought psa 10 Jordans for 20-25k will be selling. We should find out soon if there is really enough demand to sustain these prices. Same with 9s at 60k that were readily available for 5 not too long ago.

Any time prices increase this much this fast it feels like a bubble waiting to burst. But it would only take a small number of hedge fund types, billionaires, etc jumping in to shift the market. Especially if they decide to start buying prewar cards.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:37 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Hamilton View Post
how can you see auction prices for items that ended last night.
If you had bid on or had been watching those items it would show you the current bid(without buyers premium) under “my account”
Old 01-31-2021, 10:22 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Well at 700k I think a lot of people who bought psa 10 Jordans for 20-25k will be selling. We should find out soon if there is really enough demand to sustain these prices. Same with 9s at 60k that were readily available for 5 not too long ago.

Any time prices increase this much this fast it feels like a bubble waiting to burst. But it would only take a small number of hedge fund types, billionaires, etc jumping in to shift the market. Especially if they decide to start buying prewar cards.
It feels like manipulation to me -- create FOMO out there, then dump some of your holdings at major profit -- but who knows.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post

I can think of several prewar cards right now that seem like screaming values compared to some modern day stuff. Ruths, Cobbs, gehrig and some of the key T206 cards.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:46 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

And how many of those 1986 Fleer Jordans are trimmed, recolored, overgraded, or just plain counterfeit?
One of the main "blow-outed" trimmers, Robert Block, was known to have owned like 3% of all graded PSA/BGS Jordans. But taking those cert numbers out of circulation would just make the other ones sell for even more, I guess. It's a weird, weird, weird, weird world.

But right now, it's a dick measuring contest from people who got rich with bitcoin and gamestop, I guess.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:53 AM
Matt

Quote:
It feels like manipulation to me -- create FOMO out there, then dump some of your holdings at major profit -- but who knows.
Agreed. I don't buy for a second that there's been some sudden, literally overnight influx of uber-wealthy buyers who only now discovered a passion for sportscards of all sorts (Jordan, Mantle, Ruth, Gehrig, etc., etc.). A passion so intense that it leads them to spend sums of the riches they were so savvy enough in life to obtain— sums that break wholly with all past data and pricing history.

Last edited by MattyC; 01-31-2021 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:28 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Agreed. I don't buy for a second that there's been some sudden, literally overnight influx of uber-wealthy buyers who only now discovered a passion for sportscards of all sorts (Jordan, Mantle, Ruth, Gehrig, etc., etc.). A passion so intense that it leads them to spend sums of the riches they were so savvy enough in life to obtain— sums that break wholly with all past data and pricing history.
As with what's going on with GameStop, the current values are becoming "untethered from the underlying fundamentals," IMO. All the cook groups manipulating prices over the summer seem to just be the start of this. The government keeps printing free money, and people keep sticking into riskier and riskier investments since the regular investments aren't paying out.
And since groups of people are controlling the small investment schemes and driving them "to the moon" by HODLing, then cash out and have more and more funds to spread to other investments to repeat the cycle.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:25 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Many of these cards I feel will be listed again and again for higher and higher prices, and eventually through auctions houses with hidden reserves until the "madoff shareholders" are left with a loss.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-31-2021, 03:55 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
As with what's going on with GameStop, the current values are becoming "untethered from the underlying fundamentals," IMO. All the cook groups manipulating prices over the summer seem to just be the start of this. The government keeps printing free money, and people keep sticking into riskier and riskier investments since the regular investments aren't paying out.
And since groups of people are controlling the small investment schemes and driving them "to the moon" by HODLing, then cash out and have more and more funds to spread to other investments to repeat the cycle.
I am not familiar with that term, what does it mean?

I'm not sure there are fundamentals with baseball cards...

If this continues for a few more auction cycles I am going to sell my collection and pay off my house. If not, f***it, I will just enjoy my cards and pay the mortgage.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-31-2021 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:08 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

In the early days of bitcoin, some of the bros who got in early were of the same opinion as the reddit GameStop guys are now. They would tell each other to HOLD and never sell, in order to keep supply low and the value of the coin continuing to rise. Sometimes they would spell it wrong accidentally as HODL, but it stuck as a rallying cry.

Basically, if you and your friends can convince everyone else something has value, it does. Then when you go to cash out, you make cash hand over fist compared to your initial investment. If everyone else takes profits on the way up, the price doesn't climb nearly as high or get covered by the papers/media. If everyone holds and continues to drive demand, everyone gets rich together.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:18 PM
Bob Davies

Default 1979 OPC Gretzky

I believe headlines cause folks to believe they too are holding million dollar cards. Here in Canada, where everyone collected hockey cards as a kid, the Gretzky cards are coming out of the basements. Friends, and friends of friends have contacted me about how to sell theirs.
I believe the market will get flooded with 80’s cards and people expecting to cash in. Coming to a card show near you will be an unlimited supply of VG-EX cards from the 80’s sitting on everyone’s tables, never to be moved.

Last edited by Stampsfan; 02-01-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:38 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
I believe headlines cause folks to believe they too are holding million dollar cards. Here in Canada, where everyone collected hockey cards as a kid, the Gretzky cards are coming out of the basements. Friends, and friends of friends have contacted me about how to sell theirs.
I believe the market will get flooded with 80’s cards and people expecting to cash in. Coming to a card show near you will be an unlimited supply of VG-EX cards from the 80’s sitting on everyone’s tables, never to be moved.
Don't think that will be an issue with the '25 Exhibits Gehrig. Tho there will be a steady flow of counterfeits offered on eBay.

Or not...
Old 02-01-2021, 04:06 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Don't think that will be an issue with the '25 Exhibits Gehrig. Tho there will be a steady flow of counterfeits offered on eBay.
Last time I looked there were like 35 of these on SGC and PSA combined, and assuming some crossed over over the years the total out there may be closer to 25. Pretty amazing piece.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Last time I looked there were like 35 of these on SGC and PSA combined, and assuming some crossed over over the years the total out there may be closer to 25. Pretty amazing piece.
I just hope this sale pulls up my lowly 27 lol. Put passing on the 25 back in the day at or near the top of the regret list.

Old 02-01-2021, 05:15 PM

So Gehrig rookie sells for more than any Ruth card has sold publicly? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't recall a Ruth card selling publicly over 800k. Looks like Gehrig gets the sweet spot for a bit.

Last edited by tkd; 02-01-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:30 PM

Yeah, was wondering about other late 20's Gehrig Exhibits. Your '27 should see a nice bump. And I think there are couple 1926-29 versions - probably go up as well. Not many of the Exhibits out for sale so hard to get a grasp on today's value. REA had several go off last year or so. But are even those prices accurate in todays market?
Old 02-01-2021, 05:44 PM
�tis J�hns�n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
Yeah, was wondering about other late 20's Gehrig Exhibits. Your '27 should see a nice bump. And I think there are couple 1926-29 versions - probably go up as well. Not many of the Exhibits out for sale so hard to get a grasp on today's value. REA had several go off last year or so. But are even those prices accurate in todays market?
Two weeks ago I paid $1000 for a low-end 1928 Gehrig exhibit (PSA Auth.). I needed it to complete the set so I probably overpaid. But FOMO, you know. Plus how bad can I get hurt on a 1928 Gehrig? Rhetorical question, please don't tell me.😁
Old 02-01-2021, 05:45 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My SWAG is that the prices on the other 1920s Exhibits of Gehrig just doubled and that the Ruths will have to go up as well to keep pace. It is a fun time to own some of them...

Or not...
Old 02-01-2021, 05:47 PM

The same exact card sold in Heritage in 2017 for $102k. That’s 8x appreciation in 3-4 years. That makes a ton of sense to me, considering PSA Jordan 10s have had a similar appreciation in the last 3-4 months; and there are likely (many) more PSA 10 Jordan’s than graded PSA and SGC Gehrigs.

It’s good to see the rare, blue chip classics get their due in this crazy ass, post Covid industry/hobby
Old 02-01-2021, 05:49 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

One that I haven't seen for sale in a while is a Foxx RC (from the PC-back set). They were doing quite well before. A PSA 3 went for $2880 in August.

ETA: someone has an SGC 3 on the BST now. Not mine.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-01-2021 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:53 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs336 View Post
Two weeks ago I paid $1000 for a low-end 1928 Gehrig exhibit (PSA Auth.). I needed it to complete the set so I probably overpaid. But FOMO, you know. Plus how bad can I get hurt on a 1928 Gehrig? Rhetorical question, please don't tell me.😁
Hell, Otis, yours can't be worse than my 21 and 25 Ruth cards.

Or not...
Old 02-01-2021, 06:05 PM

What about the W590 Gehrig? That's 1925, too.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post

It’s good to see the rare, blue chip classics get their due in this crazy ass, post Covid industry/hobby
It ain't over yet, Ryan.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
What about the W590 Gehrig? That's 1925, too.
I thought those were issued over a period of years and you couldn't tell which? Like through 1931 maybe? Is that wrong?

Old 02-01-2021, 08:18 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
I thought those were issued over a period of years and you couldn't tell which? Like through 1931 maybe? Is that wrong?
That is correct and as I recall the 1925 sheets do not have Gehrig on them.

Or not...
Old 02-01-2021, 10:56 PM

Default Looking back

Quote:
Just read through the 2014-16 thread discussing the issue date of W590. It seems to conclude that the set was first issued in 1925 (the only year Rabbit Maranville was a Cub), then revised about 1928-29 and again about 1931. There is an image of an uncut strip that features Gehrig along with Ross Youngs
(listed as Right Fielder, thus predating the c. 1928 update that has him as Former Right Fielder), suggesting he was part of the original 1925 issue. If so, most W590 Gehrigs we see today would be from the 1925 set (which might have been sold through 1928, of course) since the revised W590s range from scarce (1928-29) to rare (1931). There is much discussion of font changes on the 1928-29 and 1931 issues, but this does not necessarily apply to the cards that were not revised.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:11 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
I recall that thread was very informative.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-02-2021 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:54 AM
�tis J�hns�n

Quote:
Hell, Otis, yours can't be worse than my 21 and 25 Ruth cards.

Once again you are correct, sir.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1928lou042 (2).jpg (76.7 KB, 409 views)
Old 02-03-2021, 12:36 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Here's Gehrig's 3rd 1925 "rookie card" after the Exhibits and the w590. The 1925 Universal Toy Yankees team card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w504_sheet_front_top.jpg (75.8 KB, 342 views)
Old 02-03-2021, 09:54 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Here's Gehrig's 3rd 1925 "rookie card" after the Exhibits and the w590. The 1925 Universal Toy Yankees team card.
That's super cool. I've never seen an uncut card of those. Wow. Nice. Let me know when you are selling.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:03 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Great item, Gary, and super scarce. If anyone has the Washington Senators team card from this set, I'm your buyer - just name your price!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:20 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

OK now I am confused: is Gehrig on the sheet as a single or only as part of the team card?

Or not...
Old 02-03-2021, 01:30 PM
Val Kehl

Adam, Gehrig is only on the team card: https://oldcardboard.com/w/w504/w504gal.asp
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:00 PM
Deron
Der.on Dix.on

Gehrig is in the front row, third from the left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1923 Yankees Team Photo PSADNA auction 2.jpg (75.7 KB, 256 views)
Old 02-04-2021, 12:22 PM
Jay Cee

And if anyone missed the rookie Gehrig explosion, there are still other options. Here is a Collyers Newspaper which used the rookie exhibit image. Took picture years ago when I bought it, and I hate taking fragile items out of the holder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1665.jpg (71.3 KB, 207 views)