NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-06-2020, 09:39 AM
Chris Wood

Default $125,000,000 Sports Immortals Collection

Perhaps I am not the only one who hadn’t heard about this man’s amazing collection of sports memorabilia?

https://www.one37pm.com/strength/spo...lia-collection

Last edited by baseball tourist; 12-06-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:32 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Wow

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 12-06-2020, 11:55 AM
Rob

Joel was featured on some TV show I saw years ago. Perhaps "The Incurable Collector"?
Old 12-06-2020, 01:20 PM

Incredible!
Old 12-06-2020, 01:42 PM
Justin

Visited his place couple years ago when visiting my parents in Florida. Only a small portion is on display but still great to look at and hear about his collection.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2020, 08:17 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Was it just me?

or did the "article" sound as much like an advertisement for "collectable" fractional ownership as it did about the Platt collection. History also sounds A LOT like Barry Halper. Incredible stuff!!
Old 12-07-2020, 12:39 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Joel was featured on some TV show I saw years ago. Perhaps "The Incurable Collector"?
I think I saw the same show, but I couldn't tell you where or when.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 12-07-2020, 05:16 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Youtube has a couple of interview segments on him and his collecting. Just search under Joel Platt. Pretty darn impressive.
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 12-07-2020, 10:32 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
History also sounds A LOT like Barry Halper. Incredible stuff!!

I was getting that same vibe also. Maybe he was more discriminating then Halper about the stories he accepted, and I'm sure most of what he has is good, but I wonder in collections like these, how many of these too good to be true memorabilia items are just that. Accepted stories passed down 2nd, 3rd, and 4th hand.

Either way, Impressive as hell. I'm pretty sure I've heard of this guy before, as it looks like he's dabbled in boxing for a bit. I think there was even a major auction of graded boxing cards years ago that was identified on the flips as being from "The Platt Collection", if my memory serves me correctly.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:44 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

I like this one:

featuring a ball signed in 1939 by the first class inducted in the Baseball Hall of fame, including Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Christy Mathewson Honus Wagner.

Pretty sure Christy wasn't there in 1939.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:23 AM
M@rk Lu7z

It's an astonishing collection. Hats off to him. What has me wondering is exactly what a young Joel Platt or a young Barry Halper said to the families of sports legends to persuade the families to give them some of these items.

"Hello, Mrs. Wagner, you don't know me, but I'm a teenage collector of sports memorabilia, and even though I'm too young to have seen your late husband play, I would really, really, love for you to give me some of his game used equipment, trophies, and uniforms. " "Sure thing, young man, here are some of family heirlooms. Can I help you get them into your car? Or would you prefer to take our car?"

Last edited by Mark; 12-07-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:28 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
It's an astonishing collection. Hats off to him. What has me wondering is exactly what a young Joel Platt or a young Barry Halper said to the families of sports legends to persuade the families to give them some of these items.

"Hello, Mrs. Wagner, you don't know me, but I'm a teenage collector of sports memorabilia, and even though I'm too young to have seen your late husband play, I would really, really, love for you to give me some of his game used equipment, trophies, and uniforms. " "Sure thing, young man, here are some of family heirlooms. Can I help you get them into your car? Or would you prefer to take our car?"
You have to remove your modern collecting ideology. Keep in mind that in the 1950s and 1960s other than cards, there was no built-in hobby for memorabilia like in the present day - especially game worn/used items. There are numerous examples throughout the years of jerseys worn by very famous players being recycled to farm clubs and minor league teams. These were utilitarian items... not collectibles. The overwhelming majority of people put very little to no monetary value on these pieces, including the families of ex-players. Sure, items were kept for posterity or as souvenirs, but the thinking that these items had market value didn't exist to most, hence, they were easy to give away, with most families probably just thankful that someone took an interest in their relative.

A further footnote may relate to the general custom in the past of gifting items by the players themselves, something somewhat lost in today's heavily-monetized era.
Case in point, imagine an athlete trying to charge for autographs during the 1950s.... now imagine athletes NOT charging for autographs today....

it's a completely different hobby now.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:34 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
You have to remove your modern collecting ideology. Keep in mind that in the 1950s and 1960s other than cards, there was no built-in hobby for memorabilia like in the present day - especially game worn/used items. There are numerous examples throughout the years of jerseys worn by very famous players being recycled to farm clubs and minor league teams. These were utilitarian items... not collectibles. The overwhelming majority of people put very little to no monetary value on these pieces, including the families of ex-players. Sure, items were kept for posterity or as souvenirs, but the thinking that these items had market value didn't exist to most, hence, they were easy to give away, with most families probably just thankful that someone took an interest in their relative.

A further footnote may relate to the general custom in the past of gifting items by the players themselves, something somewhat lost in today's heavily-monetized era.
Case in point, imagine an athlete trying to charge for autographs during the 1950s.... now imagine athletes NOT charging for autographs today....

I wasn't assuming that these things had monetary value. Sentimental value to the family? yes.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:37 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post

Great perspective, right there... Even though it was not all that long ago, it was a more innocent, trusting and completely different world back then.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:46 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
I wasn't assuming that these things had monetary value. Sentimental value to the family? yes.
Think about all the players today, in their 70s and 80s who realize they have a mountain of stuff and need to get rid of it. Johnny Bench being one of the latest examples. At some point they all come to the realization it has to go. Go back 70 years, older players have a mountain of stuff with little value, they need to downsize, and someone asks for something. It fills the need of the family.

My grandma moved out of her house when she was in her 90s a couple years ago. She needed to get rid of everything essentially. Objects might have intrinsic value to her, but not necessarily her kids or grandchildren. No one wanted her pool table. No one wanted her 120+ year old pump organ. Lots of anniversary gifts went unclaimed. They were silver plated rather than solid silver, so they weren't really valuable either. Photos were hard to give away, especially if there was no comment about people, time, or place. It's just the way it goes.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 12-07-2020, 01:05 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Items from past players are routinely sold currently at auction day, after day, after day...
why is there no sentimentality with these items for the families?

The historical bottom line....

No hobby with little monetary value... gifted.
Huge hobby with considerable value... sold, NOT gifted.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:11 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Think about all the players today, in their 70s and 80s who realize they have a mountain of stuff and need to get rid of it. Johnny Bench being one of the latest examples. At some point they all come to the realization it has to go. Go back 70 years, older players have a mountain of stuff with little value, they need to downsize, and someone asks for something. It fills the need of the family.

My grandma moved out of her house when she was in her 90s a couple years ago. She needed to get rid of everything essentially. Objects might have intrinsic value to her, but not necessarily her kids or grandchildren. No one wanted her pool table. No one wanted her 120+ year old pump organ. Lots of anniversary gifts went unclaimed. They were silver plated rather than solid silver, so they weren't really valuable either. Photos were hard to give away, especially if there was no comment about people, time, or place. It's just the way it goes.

That might be the way some think about it. Bench says that he auctioned his vast collection because selling it would provide for his family. The monetary value was very clear to him.

But if it's 1967, and your late husband or father kept a few bats or a trophy, I would think that you'd want to keep what he valued or that you'd want to pass these things along to a family member. Maybe give these things to an old friend of the deceased. If we're talking about large pieces of furniture that belonged to people who are not famous (was your grandmother famous?), or if aging widows are moving into small apartments, OK. I get that. But it seems odd to me that a family would easily give away things to a young stranger that a great athlete thought it worthy to keep. But it is certainly true that the monetary value of these things has changed the situation.