NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
So then why did he accept this offer, if he felt like he didn't deserve it (and he doesn't) he should have turned this down. He would have gotten way more respect.
Sometimes in life you do the right thing, that is why. How many of us kids aspired to the Bigs and made it? He has my respect.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:52 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Sometimes in life you do the right thing, that is why. How many of us kids aspired to the Bigs and made it? He has my respect.
But he doesn't deserve it. Yeah it sucks that he never got an at bat, but he made it to the Bis. It's just a PR move. Do I deserve an at-bat? Can I got shoot a free-throw? Can I go attempt to return a kick-off (or watch it sail through the end zone)? Hell no! Why? Because I don't deserve to. He doesn't either, because he isn't good enough, that's why.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
But he doesn't deserve it. Yeah it sucks that he never got an at bat, but he made it to the Bis. It's just a PR move. Do I deserve an at-bat? Can I got shoot a free-throw? Can I go attempt to return a kick-off (or watch it sail through the end zone)? Hell no! Why? Because I don't deserve to. He doesn't either, because he isn't good enough, that's why.
Did you ever make it to the Bigs and then get beaned on the first pitch and your career in the Bigs was over? I don't know how old you are but I suspect at some point in life you will see the good in this type of deed. Is it a PR move? Maybe....but regardless it's still a good thing, imo. Life shouldn't always be so cut and dry. There are circumstances when just doing the good thing, instead of the technically correct thing, is better. It just is.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Did you ever make it to the Bigs and then get beaned on the first pitch and your career in the Bigs was over? I don't know how old you are but I suspect at some point in life you will see the good in this type of deed. Is it a PR move? Maybe....but regardless it's still a good thing, imo. Life shouldn't always be so cut and dry. There are circumstances when just doing the good thing, instead of the technically correct thing, is better. It just is.
So what he got beaned, yeah that sucks, but he was still playing in the minors for a while, but was not good enough to make it back to the majors, plain and simple. Yes, it's a good jesture and great feel good story, but is it deserved? No. I do see this as a good deed, but I view it as insulting towards him. I would be embarassed. They feel bad for him, so this happened. He still made it to the show, he accomplished his dream, whether he didn't get an official at-bat, he got a plate appearance. He got to sit in the dugout, he got to be on that field for the first time as a player. Yeah it sucks how it turned out, but he made it, and you can never take that away from him, regardless of this pathetic 'at-bat' he's getting. What if he walks, then he still doesn't have an at bat, are they going to keep him around.

If I had that happen to me, I would be so proud of myself, so happy that I finally received that call. The one profession I've known since I was 5 years old, finally comes into fruition. Doesn't matter how it ends, because you made it.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Barry Sloate

It's the end of the season and the rosters are expanded. I'm sure there have been many other instances of marginal players given a game, or an at bat, or an inning in relief, in the last week of the season. Nobody is harmed by this and it's a nice gesture to a kid who got a terrible break. And who is to say he won't surprise everybody and get a hit?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Manny
Banned

Quote:
He doesn't deserve it? He's been battling it out in the minors and independent leagues for 7 years to try to make it back to the big leagues for one more shot.

I think he earned 1 at bat.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
He doesn't deserve it? He's been battling it out in the minors and independent leagues for 7 years to try to make it back to the big leagues for one more shot.

I think he earned 1 at bat.
Yeah, so have 100,000 other kids, many of whom played in a game or two. You want to give them a second shot as well? There are plenty of players with less than 10 at-bats in their careers. Let's just make a team full of the guys who weren't good enough.

I'm not judging his character to giving it his all, I'm just saying he did not earn this at bat.

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 09-28-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Yeah, so have 100,000 other kids, many of whom played in a game or two. You want to give them a second shot as well? There are plenty of players with less than 10 at-bats in their careers. Let's just make a team full of the guys who weren't good enough.

I'm not judging his character to giving it his all, I'm just saying he did not earn this at bat.
Minnie Minoso says hello.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Minnie Minoso says hello.
Yeah - that's the first thing I thought of when I heard the story.

Greenberg's situation is strikingly unique. In sum I think he very much "deserves" the at-bat.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Steve Birmingham

You guys saying he doesn't deserve it do realize that all of baseball is a publicity thing don't you? Baseball history is full of guys who were either publicity stunts or had other stuff that made them more interesting to a team.
Eddie Gadel -Pure publicity stunt.
Minnie Minoso- Did get a hit in 8 ab in 1976, and was good enough still to be considered for a minor league appearance when over 60.

Pete Gray - WWII replacement, he might have gotten a brief run, but not a whole season. He was good enough, and the Browns needed the attendance a good story would bring.

Curtis Pride- Deaf, and a lifetime 250 hitter. He was up and down for 11 years. Talented for sure, but would he have played so long or gotten a chance without the nice story?

Lou Brissie- Certainly good enough before the leg, marginal once he actually got the the big leagues. I can't imagine him staying in the bigs after his two good years without being good PR.

Jim Abbott - Incredibly talented, but how many players get directly into the majors? Would that have happened for a guy with similar talent but no PR value?

And more recently guys have left the big leagues because of PR after excellent careers. Barry Bonds, Palmero,
These days a player with bad PR will have trouble staying on a team unless he's incredible.

There are even players who did very well but only got ANY chance at all because of connections. Mike Piazza, drafted last as a favor to A childhood friend of Lasorda. And that despite great talent and what would be considered amazing advantages like personal coaching by Ted Williams. He did pretty well.

Plus he's not "taking the spot of someone more deserving" or getting a second chance that's undeserved. He's getting one at bat.

Steve B
Old 09-28-2012, 08:59 AM

It will be interesting to see how they pitch to him but I'm suspecting the catcher will whisper to him "fastball middle, middle".

Rob M.