NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-18-2004, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Default T207 Irv Lewis

Posted By: Mark Rios

Here is your chance fellow collectors!!!!!

An actual T207 Irv Lewis for a mere $1.00;
with the ever-so appointed creases for that
authentic effect.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31718&item=5140470861&rd=1

Old 11-18-2004, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Default T207 Irv Lewis

Posted By: DD

I didn't know that Nostradamus had descendants. Imagine the foresight of knowledge for the advertiser to include the value information on the back of the card. Not only is this the most valuable card, but the one of a kind variation that states it is so.

Time to take a second mortgage.

Old 11-24-2004, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Default T207 Irv Lewis

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Please forgive my ignorance. Can you tell me who Irv Lewis is? I do not find him listed in my Baseball Encyclopedia. Coach, Mascot, Minor Leaguer, how does he come to be on a t207?

Old 11-24-2004, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Default T207 Irv Lewis

Posted By: jay behrens

Thre are a number of players in the t207 set that never saw light of day in a major league game. Fortunately for me, many of these "players" are among the rarest cards in the set and I don't need to have them for my player set since they never played a major league game. Other names that come to mind are the Miller (think it's Ward, but is one of the other Big 3) and Rassmussen. Forgetting a number of others I'm jsut glad I don't need them for my player set

Jay

I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.

Old 11-24-2004, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Default T207 Irv Lewis

Are these cards of players, perhaps somewhat like Moonlight Graham, who made it to the big leagues, but didn't get a chance to play?

Old 11-24-2004, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Default T207 Irv Lewis

Posted By: jay behrens

They were most likely players on the spring training rosters. They were never on a major league roster during the regular season. Those better versed int he t207 set and give you the details on the vagries of why the player selection is so odd.

Jay

I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.

Old 11-24-2004, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Default T207 Irv Lewis

Thank you, Jay. Is there a specific reference (book or other) that I can use to determine players who were on MLB rosters, even if they never appeared in a game?

Old 11-24-2004, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Default T207 Irv Lewis

Posted By: john/z28jd

Gilbert,moonlight graham actually did play so you can find him in the baseball encyclopedia,Irv Lewis never did play like Jay said but was probably with the Braves for a short time.

If you can get a hold of some old guides like reach or spalding im sure youll find some players who were with teams for a time but never played.Im sure theres been plenty of players who were signed as an emergency replacement and never got a chance to play before being sent back to the minors

Just this year a catcher for the Mets named Joe Heiptas who was brought up because of late season injuries came within 1 inning of not appearing in a game this season when he replaced Todd Zeile behind the plate so Todd could end his career hitting a 3 run homer in his final at-bat.Being 26 when next year starts and a weak AA catcher this might be Heiptas' only major league game and all he did was catch the 9th inning.Hes a modern day Moonlight Graham if you will

You can also find Old Judge cards of guys who never played with the team it says they did.Since i collect Pittsburgh OJ cards Bob Allen was a particular card i wasnt happy about since he never played a game for Pittsburgh,but i bought a real nice one of him anyway because hes pictured as a member of the team

Old 11-24-2004, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Default T207 Irv Lewis

I appreciate all of your assistence.

I collect cards which represent persons who actually made it to the big leagues, but didn't really get a chance to play.

I guess that which players are included in this grouping depends on the definition of what constitutes playing. The definition which I am most comfortable with is that the "player" has not played if he did not swing at a pitched ball, did not pitch a ball nor had any fielding opportunity.

Many interesting "ballplayers" are included in this group. Some are listed below. Herb Washington appeared in >100 games without an opportunity to play (by my definition), Eddie Gaedel, Moonlight Graham, OJ Alcott, Bill Sharman (of basketball fame), and several others both interesting and perhaps many less so, are shown on cards which I have saved. Some of the cards have been solely produced by specialty manufacturers, such as Fritsch, while others are included in n172s, maybe t207s, Topps and I am sure various other manufacturers.

Again, thank you for your help + if you can think of any others which I could include in this grouping, please do not hesitate to offer your insight. Each addition is valuable.

Old 11-24-2004, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Default T207 Irv Lewis

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Tim Newcomb wrote a great article on the T207 set and the tough cards therein for VCBC (#37 & 38). Bob Marquette also wrote a great T207 piece, also in issue 37.

Why did we get Irving Lewis, Ward Miller, etc,. instead of Cobb, Wagner, & Matty? We will never know for sure. Among Tim's speculations is the thought that perhaps a larger set, even as many as 500+ cards, a la T206, was planned, but, for whatever reason, only the first 200 were issued.

While the real Lewis card back does not predict that it will be among the rarest T207 cards in the set in the next century, Tim points out the many of the cards refer to events of the first weeks of the 1912 season, which is unusual in itself.

Old 11-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Default T207 Irv Lewis

Tho not exactly what you are looking for,this is an interesting article about guys who played just one game.Theres a couple in here that fit your criteria.

I personally wouldnt mind picking up something from Gary Hargis who played one game for the last great team in baseball

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/submit/Ripp_Bart2.stm

Old 11-24-2004, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Default T207 Irv Lewis

Hey Bruce,or anyone..can you post a scan of the back of his card
Thanks

Old 11-24-2004, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Default T207 Irv Lewis

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Perhaps if Irving had a snappy nickname he might have hung on with the big club. Casey, Lefty, Rabbit, Neon, Hammer, something.