NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Barry Arnold

Default Jim Fregosi dead at 71

I remember watching him play for the Angels in the early 60s.
As a young fellow, I collected a number of his 60s baseball cards.
He was one of my favorite shortstops.
a sad day.
My deepest condolences to family,friends, fans
Barry
Old 02-14-2014, 10:06 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Hi Barry,

I did the same. Used to drive out to Anaheim (from the SF Valley) when the Yanks came to town. Seems like not too long ago.
RIP Jim.
Paul
Old 02-14-2014, 10:10 AM
Dan Marke1

Sorry to learn of this.

One bit of notoriety is that Fregosi was traded for Nolan Ryan.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:11 AM
Jay Shelton

Got to see him play for the Rangers in the mid-1970s, and got his autograph, too. Back then, we were allowed to go down to the field level behind the home (or visitor) dugouts and get autographs while the players were playing catch. Very nice man.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:13 AM

I just remember the day it was announced on KDKA in Pittsburgh that he was retiring to take the manager's job for the Angels.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Ed McCollum

I remember his cards as well. Really sad to read the last sentence in his write-up on Wikipedia.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItWasAHobby View Post
Sorry to learn of this.

One bit of notoriety is that Fregosi was traded for Nolan Ryan.
That's the only thing I think of when I hear Jim Fregosi's name. And to make it worse, the Mets had to include three other players along with Ryan, among them Leroy Stanton, who was a productive player throughout the 1970's. Worst trade ever. But sad news nonetheless.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:46 AM
Art Martineau

Default Re: Jim Fregosi dead at 71

Jim Fregosi was the favorite player of Angel owner Gene Autry. He will always remind me of those Angel spring training days in Palm Springs. Thoughts and prayers to the Fregosi family.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:18 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Not the biggert Berman fan

but you had to love......

Jim "Bela" Fregosi

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 02-14-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:23 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
but you had to love......

Jim "Bella" Fregosi
My favorite was Oddibe Young Again McDowell.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:56 AM
Chris Counts

When I was a kid growing up a few miles from Angel Stadium, Jim Fregosi was not only the best player on the Angels, he was the best player they ever had. I have many great memories watching him play. Rest in peace, Jim, and prayers to your family ...
Old 02-14-2014, 12:34 PM
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
That's the only thing I think of when I hear Jim Fregosi's name.
I've heard and read this comment from several people the last couple days and it makes me a little bit sad. While Jim himself often joked about this topic, it also shows the type of player he was and how he was regarded within the game at that time.

But also, I don't think a lot of people realize who he was a person and what an amazing baseball mind he had. From his early days of reaching the big leagues a year out of high school to becoming an All-Star player, then a well-liked manager and finally, a highly-respected talent evaluator and scout - he was a legend within the game.

Jim was also a true "man's man" and someone you'd want to have a beer with and listen to for hours on end as he told stories of his career. Can you imagine being a Major League ballplayer in your early 20s and playing in Hollywood/Southern California in the 1960s? He did it and was happy to talk about it.

When you look at his career stat lines, you see decent numbers and 5 or 6 All-Star appearances, but a number of baseball people have told me that when you run today's advanced metrics on Jim's career, he truly stands out among the shortstops of his generation. (I'd never stopped to think about that before, but it's true.)

Jim was a larger-than-life personality who ALWAYS took the positive approach to things. He was a gem of a person in the baseball community and will very much be missed.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicsprof View Post
...I collected a number of his 60s baseball cards.
...................Barry
Agreed.
God assuage the family's grief.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Chris Wood

Default Rip

I got to know Jim a little when he managed the Jays and lived briefly at the SkyDome Hotel. I worked as a Concierge at the hotel and assisted Jim and has family with a few requests. Very nice man; always smiling and generous with a kind word. Sad loss.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:23 PM
Grant Rainsley

I will never forget Dizzy Dean doing the play-by-play back then....Pee Wee was his color man........I can hear him now.........."And Freg-OSO slud into second......."
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 02-14-2014, 07:02 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
When I was a kid growing up a few miles from Angel Stadium, Jim Fregosi was not only the best player on the Angels, he was the best player they ever had. I have many great memories watching him play. Rest in peace, Jim, and prayers to your family ...
Me too. I split time between the Angels and Dodgers, but in the day it was Fregosi (and maybe Alex Johnson) who were the studs for the Angels. RIP Jim.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:41 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Although Fregosi won the N.L. pennant with the Phillies in '93, he always had a rather, um, acrimonious relationship with the sports media while in Philadelphia, especially the city's all-sports radio station in town (WIP). Even years after Fregosi was fired by the Phillies, his famous comment to some Phillies beat writers about the city's all-sports station and its listening base took on a life of its own.

As much as even winning the pennant, Fregosi became known in town for this quote.

"People who listen to WIP are a bunch of guys in South Philly that **** their sisters, and the people that work at WIP **** their mothers."

http://the700level.com/sports/today-...line-one-1994/

Last edited by Bored5000; 02-14-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:47 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Although Fregosi won the N.L. pennant with the Phillies in '93, he always had a rather, um, acrimonious relationship with the sports media while in Philadelphia, especially the city's all-sports radio station in town (WIP). Even years after Fregosi was fired by the Phillies, his famous comment to some Phillies beat writers about the city's all-sports station and its listening base took on a life of its own.

As much as even winning the pennant, Fregosi became known in town for this quote.

"People who listen to WIP are a bunch of guys in South Philly that **** their sisters, and the people that work at WIP **** their mothers."

http://the700level.com/sports/today-...line-one-1994/
Which part of that was wrong?